We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Size Chart - How small is an alkaloid? (Filtration With a Water Filter) Options

sleepermustawaken
#1 Posted : 9/16/2015 2:15:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Instead of spending time building a vacuum filter like this guy, I thought of using a 0.5 micron sediment filter. Then I thought... is an alkaloid below 0.5 microns? Well here it is:

Pretty amazing, I wish I could see all that stuff down there Pleased

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

sleepermustawaken
#2 Posted : 9/16/2015 5:14:01 AM

DMT-Nexus member

OMG! I just tried this and it worked SO well!

With a water pump I filtered very dark murky water from recent acid boil and it came out the other end almost clear (only coloration). I filtered bigger particles with t-shirt first to make it smoother. At the end I removed filter cartridge and washed excess bark sludge and it was in almost new condition again. If you are going to try this, make sure you have the thick piping as the thin tubing was crushed/squeezed together because of the force from the water pump.

Please share this info around... Thumbs up

Heyt
#3 Posted : 9/16/2015 5:46:00 AM

DMT-Nexus member

A .5 micron screen/filter won't do anything to remove solvent from DMT crystals, which is the point of vacuum filtration. If you're just trying to remove plant material from the acid boil it would work alright, but you'll have a lot of liquid trapped in the solids left over that would be removed with a vacuum setup. It's really pretty cheap to make one. Someone posted a thread on here recently where they made a vacuum filtration setup for like $20. Also, when vacuum filtrating, one uses a filter like you described anyway.

sleepermustawaken
#4 Posted : 9/16/2015 6:30:15 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Heyt wrote:
A .5 micron screen/filter won't do anything to remove solvent from DMT crystals, which is the point of vacuum filtration. If you're just trying to remove plant material from the acid boil it would work alright, but you'll have a lot of liquid trapped in the solids left over that would be removed with a vacuum setup. It's really pretty cheap to make one. Someone posted a thread on here recently where they made a vacuum filtration setup for like $20. Also, when vacuum filtrating, one uses a filter like you described anyway.

I don't want to remove solvent? I didn't realise it was for solvents as I heard people using it on here for filtering rue.

Well I do a flush before and after of 500ml fresh water, that takes care of extra liquid trapped in sludge which is miniscule tbh.

Anyway, this is imo preferable to vacuum because of the sheer amount (litres) I have to filter and with one of those vacuum filters it is small and you have to keep changing filter or coffee filter papers over.

Heyt
#5 Posted : 9/16/2015 7:49:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

You can try it, but I think you'll find a .5 micron filter will take ages to let liquid move through it and won't release all the liquid with goodies from the plant matter. Vacuum filtration was invented to solve these issues.

1ce
#6 Posted : 9/17/2015 5:54:06 AM

Communications-Security Analyst

I've got a 2L filter flask, and if I use a glass fritted filter + vacuum adapter I could easilly run 5 liters without any trouble.

Doesn't have to be small. Hell, pour it off into a new bottle and keep reusing your flask if you need to. Vac filtration is pretty awesome for purification too.

Examples would be like: Putting freebase DMT on filter and running boiling heptane over it, leaving junk behind. Or perhaps washing a salt, like putting dmt fumarate on the filter paper and washing it with dry acetone.

There are a lot of uses for these filters, they do alot more than just filtering out particles. You can get a fair setup for around 50 bucks and be ready to rock.

sleepermustawaken
#7 Posted : 9/17/2015 10:21:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Heyt wrote:
You can try it, but I think you'll find a .5 micron filter will take ages to let liquid move through it and won't release all the liquid with goodies from the plant matter. Vacuum filtration was invented to solve these issues.

Actually, it was the opposite... It did 4 litres in about 15-20 seconds... But the problem with that is that because the water pump is so powerfull it forces a few very very very tiny particles through the membrane so there will be a little bit of sediment unless you have something gentle like an aquariem pump.

1ce wrote:
I've got a 2L filter flask, and if I use a glass fritted filter + vacuum adapter I could easilly run 5 liters without any trouble.

There are a lot of uses for these filters, they do alot more than just filtering out particles. You can get a fair setup for around 50 bucks and be ready to rock.

$50? My guess would be you wouldn't be able to get it from walmart?

I think I will make one of these for filtering small particles and collecting crystals but my sediment filter is a great idea instead of having to ring out dirty old t-shirts all the time Drool