We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
The Dream Walk (Original Tunes Written and Performed By The Grateful One) Options

TGO
#1 Posted : 9/9/2015 5:00:38 PM

Music is alive and in your soul. It can move you. It can carry you. It can make you cry! Make you laugh. Most importantly, it makes you feel! What is more important than that?

Welcoming committee

I just set up a soundcloud account for the first time because I never share my music with anyone but close friends and family. Well, you guys on the Nexus feel like family so I'm going to start sharing this stuff with you too.

"The Dream Walk" was written in August of 2014, from my amateur instrumental album "Quarter Life Crisis". It is hard to describe what genre it would fall under. Mellow, instrumental, trippy, folky, etc.

I use FL Studios and I record all my own guitar parts and import them into the program. Then I use the instruments to create the rest of the background and structure of the song. A little basic knowledge of music theory goes a long way. I've used FL Studios since version 5 and I am completely self taught when it comes to the guitar and music production. I have hundreds of songs, I am just trying to decide which ones would be the best to share. My family always loved "The Dream Walk" so that is why it is first. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated! Enjoy!

The Dream Walk

I put some other tracks up too! One November Day is the only one with vocals so bear with me as I am not a professional.

Thumbs up Thumbs up
New to The Nexus? Check These Out:

One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

TGO
#2 Posted : 9/9/2015 7:49:24 PM

Music is alive and in your soul. It can move you. It can carry you. It can make you cry! Make you laugh. Most importantly, it makes you feel! What is more important than that?

Welcoming committee

Here is one I just put up. I wrote it while on acid and then threw it together the next day! I think you guys can appreciate this one for sure!

Uncle Sid

TGO
#3 Posted : 9/9/2015 10:53:36 PM

Welcoming committee

Well, since summer is getting closer to being over here in the States, I figured this song may be appropriate! Very happy

It starts getting really really interesting at about 2:07...

Summer's End

All my songs follow a basic musical guideline that I switch up and mix and mash up from time to time. Really, there are tons of different techniques employed in my music. I am far from mastering them but I have a whole lifetime for that... I really enjoy 6/4 and 3/4 time signatures and drums that are accented on the fourth beat (especially in 6/4 time). Basically, I choose a key, strum out a decent chord progression on my guitar (or within FL Studios) and then develope each part of the song so that they flow from one part to the next seamlessly... Then I develope melody lines or solos to flow over the chord progressions...sometimes using scales or just improvising...

If interested in learning how to put songs together on your own, I highly recommend the self help books by Rikky Rooksby.

http://rikkyrooksby.com/music-publications/

His work (among many other authors) have helped me tremendously with learning the ins and outs of music on my own. I have always had an ear and general understanding of how and why music works but equipping myself with educational material has helped a lot. Very happy

DesykaLamgeenie
#4 Posted : 9/10/2015 2:51:20 AM
DMT-Nexus member

TGO I'm really enjoying everything I've listened to - Uncle Sid, One November Day, Dream Walk, and now Summer's End. I think it's all great! Very pleasant sound.

I have a goal of being able to do similar things - make music by myself with guitar, bass, a DAW, and some other ideas I've got....so this is an inspiration.

Excellent work, great thread, and glad you shared.

TGO
#5 Posted : 9/10/2015 4:37:49 AM

Welcoming committee

Thanks so much!

Love

TGO
#6 Posted : 9/10/2015 8:32:28 PM

Welcoming committee

Okay, here is another one. This is one my absolute favorite songs that I've written (IMO it is one of my best songs). It is called Capitol T Time and was written October 4th, 2014. This song has extreme sentimental value for me because I wrote it about a friend struggling with meth addiction. After trying to help him he would fall back into the same old habits and he eventually refused anymore help and that is when I said to myself, "what am I to do to get you through this hell?" which became the main lyric and theme throughout the song. I will post the lyrics too for this one...

Capitol T Time

V1
"Some things you just can't change
You have to sit there and watch
Sit there and blame
Yourself
for nothing and you can't explain
Watch everything fall to pieces again again again"

CHORUS
"What am I to do, To get you through this hell?
Digging your own grave, and your soul you sell
What am I to do, to get you through this hell?
What am I to do? Only time will tell
Only time will tell"

V2
"Falling down the rabbit hole again
Because you thought you saw the light at the end
Persuaded by illusions of greater things
Jaded through time like nails in the coffin so I sing
So I sing..."

*CHORUS
*SOLO
*OUTRO

All music and words written and performed by: The Grateful One
All instruments performed by: The Grateful One
All instrumentals and recordings are the sole property of The Grateful One

Thanks for listening guys! It means a lot more than you know!

TGO
#7 Posted : 9/28/2015 11:16:03 PM

Welcoming committee

I forgot to put this one on here...This song was written on July 4th, 2014 hence the title:

Independence in B Minor

TGO
#8 Posted : 9/28/2015 11:25:32 PM

Welcoming committee

Ah, we can't forget about this one either! This one is called One November Day and was written during some day in November...Big grin

This song has some decent vocal harmonies (all parts recorded and performed by yours truly). I strongly encourage everyone to listen to this one all the way through! It is a relatively simple song in regards to composition but simplicity is best at times!

Next to Capitol T Time, this is one that I am very proud of too!

One November Day

And here is one more that I put on Soundcloud today called June Blues Rain! It follows a 12 bar blues progression with my own added flavor! This one was made in the Summer of 2013!

June Blues Rain

TGO
#9 Posted : 9/29/2015 12:05:01 AM

Welcoming committee

Alright, last one for today! This one is called "It's All Perspective" and has a nice little trippy psychedelic intro and a swell riff throughout, If I might say so!

It's All Perspective

#10 Posted : 9/29/2015 2:24:31 AM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

Wow, beautiful work The Grateful One.

Thanks for sharing this. Smile

Leithen
#11 Posted : 9/29/2015 4:18:00 PM

Be Here Now

Great work Grateful One! I have thoroughly enjoyed everything I have listed to thus far. Thumbs up

Any chance we could get a zip with some .mp3s? I would love to put these on my iPod and listen to them other places in the world.

Thank you for sharing and keep up the stellar work. Will be checking back for more songs frequently.
“How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it.”
― Alexander Shulgin, Pihkal: A Chemical Love Story

Jees
#12 Posted : 9/29/2015 10:54:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you sooo much for being this creative TGO Love Love
Feels like getting to know you better and it tastes good.

TGO
#13 Posted : 9/30/2015 12:54:31 AM

Welcoming committee

Hey thanks guys! It truly means a lot! I put quite a bit of time and effort into this and it is nice to get some feedback.

@Leithen - I temporarily changed my soundcloud settings to where the tracks can be downloaded. I am only going to allow them to be downloaded for a couple days though. I don't mind sharing with you guys but am a bit paranoid of everyone on soundcloud being able to download it willy nilly! Very happy
I am very proud yet protective of my work! Wink Wink

So, all the music I've been posting is mostly from last year. The most recent song I've been working on was at the end of June, 2015 (I have not posted it yet because it isn't finished). My music was temporarily put on hold because I was moving and because of other things in life...work etc. etc.

However, now that I am in my new home and have my new guitar and a spare room for recording, I can finish my current project, a double sided album entitled, "The Truthful Nothings Side 1 and 2"
From this album, you've heard Capitol T Time, Uncle Sid, and One November Day. Those are from side 1 along with a few other tracks I have not posted. Side 2 is almost complete as well. Hopefully I'll be able to share more from this album soon.

In the meantime, I have a bunch of older work from other albums that I'd be more than willing to share with all of you! That being said, here is one of my all time favorites called:

Funk N' Azul Atmospheres

Written June 9th, 2014

Enjoy and thank you for the kind words everyone!

Love

Leithen
#14 Posted : 9/30/2015 1:39:39 AM

Be Here Now

The Grateful One wrote:
@Leithen - I temporarily changed my soundcloud settings to where the tracks can be downloaded. I am only going to allow them to be downloaded for a couple days though. I don't mind sharing with you guys but am a bit paranoid of everyone on soundcloud being able to download it willy nilly! Very happy
I am very proud yet protective of my work! Wink Wink

Awesome, thank you VERY much!

I have them all downloaded and will play them for interested friends (won't show anyone the link though Very happy). I think people will quite enjoy it!

Thanks again, excited for the new album.
“How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it.”
― Alexander Shulgin, Pihkal: A Chemical Love Story

TGO
#15 Posted : 10/8/2015 1:30:16 AM

Welcoming committee

Thanks! I truly appreciate the support...I know I've said that a couple times but it really does mean a lot! Embarrased

Anyway, I am posting two more tracks and leaving very specific instructions on how to listen to them:

Step 1) Load bong, roll a big fat joint, or get that weed vaporizer ready!

Step 2) Light up and push play

Laughing

Anyway, seriously... the first one is called "The Attempt" because it was an experiment where I was messing around with bends and sliding on the guitar in an attempt to imitate David Gilmour a bit...
Written May 10th, 2014:

The Attempt

The second one is called "The Subtle Whispers" ...Written August 6th, 2014. I was experimenting with key changes mainly minor and major switches of the key ( an example would be going from playing in A major to playing in A minor and switching back and forth seamlessly)...if you know what I am talking about then you will hear it clearly. You'll hear it anyways of course but now you know the details of what is going on behind the music...

The Subtle Whispers

Also I wanted to add that I play piano, acoustic and electric guitar, bass, all percussion including the full kit and bells, and trumpet. Put an instrument in front of me and I will learn it! Anyway, enjoy!

Cool Cool Cool

Sakkadelic
#16 Posted : 11/28/2015 1:13:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I looove your music....
i always had this subjective picture in my mind about a period of time (around when i was born 1995) that i wish i was a teenager at that time, and your music translates that image.
I can't stop listening
I love all your tracks
For me top 3 are:
Its all perspective
Independence in B mirror
The dream walk
Thank you Smile
"Is this the end of our adventure? Nothing has an end. We came in search of the secret of immortality, to be like gods, and here we are... mortals, more human than ever. If we have not obtained immortality, at least we have obtained reality. We began in a fairytale and we came to life! But is this life reality? We are images, dreams, photographs. We must not stay here! Prisoners! We shall break the illusion. This is Maya. Goodbye to the holy mountain. Real life awaits us." ~ Alejandro Jodorowsky

TGO
#17 Posted : 11/28/2015 9:21:00 PM

Welcoming committee

Sakkadelic wrote:
I looove your music....
i always had this subjective picture in my mind about a period of time (around when i was born 1995) that i wish i was a teenager at that time, and your music translates that image.
I can't stop listening
I love all your tracks
For me top 3 are:
Its all perspective
Independence in B mirror
The dream walk
Thank you Smile

Thank you! I do it all in my spare time. I really enjoy studying music composition/theory on my own and I hope to go back to college some day and study it more thoroughly. I'd love to make a career out of it, but we will see where life takes me...

That being said here are a couple more tracks for everyone and your listening pleasure Very happy :

It Passes Me By: Written March 20th, 2015. This is one of my newer songs. It is a mostly acoustic piece with no drums. I think it turned out quite nicely. This is one of my GF's favorite songs! Enjoy!

Saving Face: Written August 29th, 2014. So it is an older track. It is significant because it was the first song I'd written in years that had vocals in it. I use one cheap microphone, by the way, with multiple takes (double tracking) and with clever panning tricks, it really makes the sound "pop" ...gives it a good stereo feel...

Symphonette
#18 Posted : 1/4/2016 3:09:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Just stumbled upon this... Wow! Your music is so dreamy & beautiful. I can just sit back and get lost in my mind listening, it takes me back to the mystical states I've experienced many times before. Thank you for sharing these amazing tracks. Your family must be very proud. <3

TGO
#19 Posted : 1/4/2016 9:16:14 PM

Welcoming committee

Symphonette wrote:
Just stumbled upon this... Wow! Your music is so dreamy & beautiful. I can just sit back and get lost in my mind listening, it takes me back to the mystical states I've experienced many times before. Thank you for sharing these amazing tracks. Your family must be very proud. <3

Smile

Thank you for the kind words, I do what I can...hehe!

Love Love

ducdevil
#20 Posted : 1/12/2016 1:44:08 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Really lovely stuff.
There's something innocent, yet subtly "psychedelic carnival" about it.
Even better on successive listens...
Definitely adding to my playlist
Thanks for sharing Thumbs up Smile

12NEXT