We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Acacia stenophylla (Shoestring Acacia), analysis??? Options

Alloklais
#1 Posted : 7/31/2015 9:24:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi all,
There seems to be a gap in the analysis catalog for Acacia stenophylla (Shoestring Acacia).
It's a popular ornamental here in Southern California. I see it everywhere, especially in the coastal cities. I have three beautiful, thriving specimens in my front yard, each about 12' x 25'. Every year we trim and lace back about 35% of its branches. At this time of year it's heavy in seed pods.

I've scoured the Nexus and the interwebs but haven'f found any definitive analysis for A. stenophylla's alkaloid profile. Would anyone with the right equipment be inclined to look at this? Not sure of the logistics, but I'd be pleased to mail samples for analysis. (Hmmm... how to do that anonymously?) Or has anyone had any good luck reaching out to a commercial service provider to analyze plant material, or is that a risky idea? Appreciate the feedback.

Much obliged all, Smile
Alloklais
<--su ot gnoleb dronf ruoy llA-->

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

endlessness
#2 Posted : 7/31/2015 11:08:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

https://www.dmt-nexus.me...aspx?g=posts&t=55137

Here you go.. If you want, pm me once you send so I can make sure they will do all the thorough tests. Sending anonymous is easy, fake return address and voilá.

Smile

Alloklais
#3 Posted : 8/1/2015 1:56:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

endlessness wrote:
https://www.dmt-nexus.me/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=55137

Here you go.. If you want, pm me once you send so I can make sure they will do all the thorough tests. Sending anonymous is easy, fake return address and voilá.

Smile

Endlessness, much obliged.
A worthy investment of resources for the community!
I had read an article about Energy Control. I didn't realize bfore they would test raw materials, but why not? Send leaves, send pods, send seeds, send bark, or a little bit of everything? I imagine time of the year or even time of day, or freshness of cuttings could have an impact on alkaloid content. Is there a sample gathering protocol you can direct me to?

I could see it getting expensive too to keep sending materials throughout the year for testing. Any further guidance would be great.

If anything, the life journey this time around tries to teach me patience. The lessons work great, when I'm not being impulsive..! And as I don't seem to have a Mr. Fusion Home Energy Reactor DMC-12 DeLorean time machine on hand, it'll take about four years then to get through all the seasons. Haha!

Thanks!

endlessness
#4 Posted : 8/1/2015 9:03:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Ideally you'd save them trouble and do a mini extraction on the plant material and send them the extract.. For example you could mix the plant material with sodium carbonate or calcium hydroxide, then let it soaking in a solvent like ethanol or acetone, and evap that, and send whatever residue is left.

I think best is once you have the sample(s) gathered, to contact them in the email provided in that link, and ask them how to proceed.

Good luck and let us know how it's going!

Alloklais
#5 Posted : 8/12/2015 10:44:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The Acacia's get trimmed back Friday. The seed pods are so heavy smaller branches are breaking. I should have plenty of choice material to work with to prepare an extract.
May also be an occasion to pick-up a pharmacist smock or lab coat so I can play mad scientist dress up. Should be fun. Ultimately though interested to know if I have sustainable source at home, and to contribute to the body of plant knowledge. Now that would be grand!

LowHP
#6 Posted : 10/14/2015 11:17:11 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Keen to hear the results on this! Grows wild and abundant around me; I'll be doing some kind of extraction on some bark and phyllodes when I get the chance.

edit: did not realise this was a two month old thread when I bumped it, my apologies.

Strigiform
#7 Posted : 10/14/2015 4:27:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes, please update this thread as to what this plant contains!

LowHP
#8 Posted : 10/19/2015 11:06:01 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Alloklais, any updates? Smile

A hastily-performed extraction of 100g root bark was performed 2 days ago. The root bark has the deepest red tone of any acacia I've worked with, though AFAIK that isn't an indication of tryptamines. The tree I harvested from had both dying flowers and fresh seed pods.

-100g a. stenophylla bark was soaked in 500ml acidic water for 2hrs x3, combined and reduced to 1l
-80g salt in 400g hot water was added to the acidic solution
-basified with NaOH to ph 13-14, cooled to room temp
-pulled with 50ml room temp shellite x5

Evapped completely to leave about 5-10mg of a brown, flaky, waxy substance. Unfortunately my jar used for evap is too tall for me to properly get my fingers in and scrape out the waxy stuff to properly measure it, but I did rub it on a wad of tobacco and smoked it through a bong to no effect.

I greatly anticipate your results Alloklais. Sometime soon I'll perform a bigger extraction and also experiment with the phyllodes, as they're so ridiculously long it would be a shame not to utilise them! Also, I would love to try this tree when it's less active producing all those flowers/seeds.

Best wishes.

Alloklais
#9 Posted : 10/21/2015 1:08:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi all,

My apologies, 50-60+ hour work weeks and week-end collapse, well, been distracted and temporarily derailed from my Acacia experiments. But really pleased to read a few of you have recognized the Shoestring Acacia and have started your own research! Very happy Encouraging!

The southern California weather in my metropolitan area had been unbearable for about a month. Hot, muggy, high humidity. It felt equatorial, but uninspired, no rain forest, just yeechy urbanscape. The most uncomfortable fall transition I can recall, ever. Wuh!! Mad

All said, weirdly, our Acacias started a second blossoming cycle! I'd never seen this before.
No new phyllodes, not yet, but we're covered in the puffy, yellow blossoms again. Bizzare because we're also starting simultaneously fall leaf drop.

LowHP, brave of you to spark up without having done any GC or NMR testing to see what may be in there?
Curious, harm reduction wise, wonder if there is any known research for there being any unfavorable alkloids in Acacia, like gramine in the Phalaris spp.? Or Acacia are generally known to be benign?