We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV45678NEXT
Harmalas extraction-syrian rue (by SAKKADELIC) Options

TGO
#101 Posted : 9/30/2015 6:54:33 PM

Music is alive and in your soul. It can move you. It can carry you. It can make you cry! Make you laugh. Most importantly, it makes you feel! What is more important than that?

Welcoming committee

DoingKermit wrote:
Man that looks nice! Well done Thumbs up

BlazingSatva wrote:
Looking good TGO!

Jees wrote:
Yah man that is awesome.Thumbs up
So you did 3 freeze/thaws;
7 Regular boils of 1 hour (0.5 liter + dash vinegar per 100 gr seeds), no microwaving;
7 times squeezing the seeds empty at end of each boil.
Collecting the 7 boils, evap volume to 1 liter, etc..

I guess the yield trick is narrowing down more and more around the item of the squeezing.
I think we're really done with just filtering the seeds, gotta hit them

Thanks guys!

I think 7 boils was probably over kill but there is no harm in that, obviously! Pleased
Perhaps I'll write a song about this...call it "Squeeze the Seeds: The Downfall of Filtering"

Laughing Laughing Laughing

On a serious note, I will never go back to grinding rue seeds. This method is sound. I love it!

Love

Cool
New to The Nexus? Check These Out:

One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Jees
#102 Posted : 10/1/2015 10:06:48 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The Grateful One wrote:
...Perhaps I'll write a song about this...call it "Squeeze the Seeds: The Downfall of Filtering"
I will never go back to grinding rue seeds. This method is sound. I love it!...

We actually still filter by squeezing, like a [filter + squeezing] in one action. "The downfall of gentle straining" is more puritan anal correct Big grin

And yes grinded was yield-top before we got to squeezing, powder is now becoming more obsolete. I think that squeezing powder is a very messy job and for what possible gain? Perhaps I will try it once just for the academic sake of it, but with a gross course then instead of fine powder.

TGO
#103 Posted : 10/1/2015 4:45:31 PM

Music is alive and in your soul. It can move you. It can carry you. It can make you cry! Make you laugh. Most importantly, it makes you feel! What is more important than that?

Welcoming committee

Jees wrote:
The Grateful One wrote:
...Perhaps I'll write a song about this...call it "Squeeze the Seeds: The Downfall of Filtering"
I will never go back to grinding rue seeds. This method is sound. I love it!...

We actually still filter by squeezing, like a [filter + squeezing] in one action. "The downfall of gentle straining" is more puritan anal correct Big grin

And yes grinded was yield-top before we got to squeezing, powder is now becoming more obsolete. I think that squeezing powder is a very messy job and for what possible gain? Perhaps I will try it once just for the academic sake of it, but with a gross course then instead of fine powder.

Very happy

Indeed there is still some filtering going on (squeezing plus a couple times during the acidic stages). I'm just glad that I no longer have to watch rue tea drip painstakingly slow through a funnel with cotton balls and a coffee filter over and over (I don't own any cool filtration equipment, unfortunately...)!

"The downfall of gentle straining" ... Rolling eyes Laughing Thumbs up

I love this place, I really do!

Smile

Nitegazer
#104 Posted : 10/7/2015 12:48:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Results!

I gave a shot at finding out the utility of extracting harmalas from rue using a microwave and whole seeds. I have now run four extractions with this premise (the first two attempts being failures) and can say, that although it may not be the approach for everyone, I find that there are many advantages that make it worth considering.

In a nut shell, significant time savings over crushing seeds and/or boiling, similar to Jayrocco experienced with boiling whole seeds. I was able to obtain 4.7% and 5% fairly pure harmaline/harmine yields with a couple of hours labor, and a few overnights for soaking/settling/manske chilling.

Yields are about 20% less than mashing/boiling or extended boils with whole seeds. But, there is virtually no mess, no cotton balls or t-shirts. The first boils can be filtered through coffee filters. Only 90 minutes of cooking. Very clean results can be realized with a basify/rinse/manske/manske/basify/rinse and final rinse. I personally would prefer to extract 20% more seeds to avoid the process for crushed seeds.

Process:
- Soak seeds in vinegar acidified water for a few hours
- Freeze seeds
- Defrost in microwave
- Run 6 cooks in microwave at 15 min. each with vinegar acidified water and filter through wire strainer. (I lost about 200ml each cook to steam, so would add 400ml vinegar/water solution to filter off about 200ml from each cook)
- As each cook is filtered, run the solution through a coffee filter 2x
- Basify with a minimum of NaOH, decant and rinse
- Manske in minimum of vinegar and total of 400ml of solution

- Re-dissolve in hot water and Manske again
- Basify with a minimum of NaOH, decant and rinse, decant and rinse (to ph8 )
- Dry in pyrex dish an scrape up final yield

From 4oz (113g) seeds in each case:
Nitegazer attached the following image(s):
Yeild 1.jpg (112kb) downloaded 514 time(s).
Yeild 2.jpg (105kb) downloaded 509 time(s).
Manske.jpg (77kb) downloaded 516 time(s).

Sakkadelic
#105 Posted : 10/7/2015 1:26:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Wow Nitegazer amazing crystals
It's funny how not grinding seeds makes the extraction faster and much easier
"Is this the end of our adventure? Nothing has an end. We came in search of the secret of immortality, to be like gods, and here we are... mortals, more human than ever. If we have not obtained immortality, at least we have obtained reality. We began in a fairytale and we came to life! But is this life reality? We are images, dreams, photographs. We must not stay here! Prisoners! We shall break the illusion. This is Maya. Goodbye to the holy mountain. Real life awaits us." ~ Alejandro Jodorowsky

Nitegazer
#106 Posted : 10/7/2015 1:38:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks Sakkadelic--

It is all microwave cooking-- I edited my post to reflect this.

I don't have the beautiful yields of Grateful, but I like the 90 minute cooking time, and I only had to work with 1.2 liters of liquid. Since there is less cooking time I think I may get less 'gunk' in the brew.

Regarding the crystals, I followed Endlessness' advice to put the salt saturated solution in a heat bath (larger pot with near boiling water) to help it cool more slowly.

Sakkadelic
#107 Posted : 10/7/2015 1:49:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Was the microwave on high? what kind of container u were using during the boils? If i exceed 5 mins microwaving in a jar it will boil out
Quote:
Regarding the crystals, I followed Endlessness' advice to put the salt saturated solution in a heat bath (larger pot with near boiling water) to help it cool more slowly.

I was gonna ask about that, i will try it next time for sure
"Is this the end of our adventure? Nothing has an end. We came in search of the secret of immortality, to be like gods, and here we are... mortals, more human than ever. If we have not obtained immortality, at least we have obtained reality. We began in a fairytale and we came to life! But is this life reality? We are images, dreams, photographs. We must not stay here! Prisoners! We shall break the illusion. This is Maya. Goodbye to the holy mountain. Real life awaits us." ~ Alejandro Jodorowsky

Jees
#108 Posted : 10/7/2015 1:49:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

5 % on whole seeds without squeezing them is really good Thumbs up
Wonderful needles too.

Straining the seeds (as you did) or squeezing them empty in a T-shirt is IMHO same effort/trouble. I dare to believe that if you had squeezed them (all 6 times) then we had another member in the 6% FB club Pleased

Nitegazer
#109 Posted : 10/7/2015 2:19:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

You may just be right, Jees. Big grin A twist in an old t-shirt would be worth the gain.

I will have to give those seeds a little hug next time and report any increased yields. It will have to wait a bit, though. After all the extracting, I have plenty of harmala for the near term.

I will keep monitoring this thread though-- I'm really enjoying all the good work from everyone.

Nitegazer
#110 Posted : 10/7/2015 7:32:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Sakkadelic wrote:
Was the microwave on high? what kind of container u were using during the boils? If i exceed 5 mins microwaving in a jar it will boil out

My microwave is 1400 watts, and I did run it on high. Since the temps won't get above 100c, I figure the rapid boil is helpful, though I have no facts to back this up.

I used a Pyrex bowl with lid (about 1.5 liters) which is about 20cm across. I read in one of the MAE papers that a large surface area is preferable, perhaps it also cut down on boil-overs. I was able to combine seeds with 450ml water with lots of room to spare. The lid just sat on top to keep water from splashing out.

TGO
#111 Posted : 10/7/2015 11:05:37 PM

Welcoming committee

Very nice, Nitegazer! I like how quickly this can be done...I usually have to spread out my extractions over several days ( be it DMT, Cactus, Syrian Rue or whatever ) due to time constraints. For rue, I like to let it settle for at least 12 hours (for each stage that requires settling) so that is what was taking up most of the time! But hey, at least it isn't because of filtering anymore!

Laughing

Sakkadelic
#112 Posted : 10/11/2015 7:25:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I messed up on almost every stage of the extraction and i still got 5% hcl harmala yield.
after 1 mw boil, 1 freeze/thaw on 50 grams seeds, i did 4 10 mins mw boils with squeezing and mashing i lost around 1/3 of the first boil when pouring the liquid because i was using a glass casserole like Nitegazer did(which i think is the best boiling method so far) i had trouble pouring out of it the first time.
Then i basified with much less lye of what i usually use(the only step i didn't mess up) then i added 1 liter vinegar because i was too stupid thinking it's impossible for all this (looking like freebase) precip to be only plant material(which i think is what gives the original tea it's cloudiness) i should start counting on the colour change untill i get a ph meter.
Then i filtered and rebasified, did 1 water wash and continued to manske where i poured some of the reduced harmalas tea by mistake
Also i was working fast and only waited around 45 mins on each freebase settling stage the whole procedure was done in 16 hours first 4 were for first boil and freeze/thaw and last 6 were for slow cooling after manske plus sleeping, the filter was dried in less than 30 mins using a hair dryer.
so with only 4 boils, losing a significant amount of the liquid and working fast i still managed to get a satisfying amount of these beautiful gold xtals Smile
The first picture is the second basifying stage after making the vinegar mistake, u can see how much vinegar i used the volume was around 200 ml before adding the 1 L vinegar and 300 ml water i even did 1 water wash before this to prevent using a lot of vinegar.
Sakkadelic attached the following image(s):
20151010_231643.jpg (2,098kb) downloaded 430 time(s).
2015-10-11_09.16.11.jpg (54kb) downloaded 421 time(s).

Nitegazer
#113 Posted : 10/12/2015 1:12:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Damn,

That looks great, Sakkadelic--

Only 40 mins of boil? I certainly must try pressing the seeds as you and Jees recommend.

One of the things I like about the shorter boils is that is seems that they make it easier/quicker to get a clean product.

From several days via the Tao of Rue to 16 hours via this method-- great work!

Sakkadelic
#114 Posted : 10/12/2015 1:40:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks Smile
I love the golden colour, there is a story about an arabic alchemist/scientist making a gold like material that gave it to the guard to escape from prison maybe it is hcl harmala if there is a way to make it solidify like gold.
Yeah u can see how the seeds get swollen it's all water, the water trapped in the end is supposedly from the last boil which doesn't have much alks but that's not the point i think the advantage of pressing the seeds is reducing time, the alks that needs long hard boils will go out by mechanical force...
I think 4 boils are not enough i got 2% less than good hcl yields and the quantities i lost when pouring and fast settling can't cover all the 2% loss so maybe a 5th boil is needed, i kept the seeds i will work on them later to see how much was left.

Rigman
#115 Posted : 1/11/2017 7:10:20 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Just a quick question about the first post please. In the list of "resources" it doesn't have a quantity for the Rue, as I read the thread, there is quantities for the other resources, but not that 1. Any help much appreciated with this particular batch size.

Spaced Out 2
#116 Posted : 1/11/2017 7:54:51 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Rigman wrote:
Just a quick question about the first post please. In the list of "resources" it doesn't have a quantity for the Rue, as I read the thread, there is quantities for the other resources, but not that 1. Any help much appreciated with this particular batch size.

It was mentioned in the "NOTE" above the resources, 50g or less of rue seeds Thumbs up

Rigman
#117 Posted : 1/11/2017 9:11:48 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanks a lot for the quick response Spaced Out, I didnt put 2 and 2 together with the quantity as I guess I was looking for more definition like a recipe (with a definite measure/amount for each item). Again, tha ks for the help ;-)

Sakkadelic
#118 Posted : 1/11/2017 4:31:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Rigman wrote:
Thanks a lot for the quick response Spaced Out, I didnt put 2 and 2 together with the quantity as I guess I was looking for more definition like a recipe (with a definite measure/amount for each item). Again, tha ks for the help ;-)

I didn't mention a specific quantity bcz in the later steps you add as much as needed of lye and vinegar and water...
I will rewrite this soom bcz i learned new things and some details need to be changed

Rigman
#119 Posted : 1/12/2017 2:42:40 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanks Sakkadelic, I will wait for the updated info to get a better idea.

exquisitus
#120 Posted : 1/12/2017 6:19:56 AM
DMT-Nexus member

yeah, sakkadelic please revise!

«PREV45678NEXT