We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Browser addons for speed, privacy and less advertising Options

Curb
#1 Posted : 7/21/2015 3:47:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ive been using Waterfox for a while now (64-bit firefox distro) and straight out of the gate ill say its the fastest, least memory intensive (no memory crashes either) browser ive used, with the benefits of being firefox.

Ive been using a few addons through the years for protecting myself against un-necessary cookies (yeah you really need 46 cookies on 1 page), advertising and malicious activeX/Java/flash. i used to use ghostery and adblocker and they are quite good, but they do slow things down, kill revenue for ad-funded websites, and its not often you come across malicious popups so i have a question, what addons do you use and why?

ive got down to a few addons that ill always keep and these are: YoutubeCentre(makes youtube what you want it to be, get the developer version from github), Disconnect.me (only loads essential cookies on websites like session data and password/username info) and 'Ublock origin' or 'adblock plus' (ive switched to ublock since it apparently is less memory intensive, ill let you guys know how it goes)

for chrome users a good one i found is greasemonkey (it lets you install un-google-approved addons of which disconnect is one i think)

so if anyone has any ideas for making our browsing experience better, safer/securerer or faster id like to know about it. post your ideas below. id love to know anything i can do short of using the tor network to browse anonymously too.
Curb attached the following image(s):
Preview of waterfox.png (156kb) downloaded 143 time(s).
"you know, there are many people in the country today... who, through no fault of their own: are sane. some of them were born sane, some of them became sane later in their lives. it is up to people like you and me (who are out of our tiny little minds) to try and help these people overcome their sanity" -Monty Python

"I have reasoned and i have logicked and mentally discovered with my mindthoughts that this world (the one we live in) is created by people. people are making this happen." - Unpopular Youtuber

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

marz
#2 Posted : 7/21/2015 3:59:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

greasemonkey is good i use to run firefox but crome for me works best Smile
"PSYCHEDELIC DRUGS DON'T CHANGE YOU- THEY DON'T CHANGE YOUR CHARACTER-UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE CHANGED THEY ENABLE CHANGE THEY CAN'T IMPOSE IT...."
-ALEXANDER SHULGIN

It's time to move on to the next step in the psychedelic revolution

DeeMenTalist
#3 Posted : 7/21/2015 5:29:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Some of the useful plugins installed on my firefox:
Adblock plus
BetterPrivacy
Cookie Monster
Ghostery
Greasemonkey
IPFlood
NoScript
Flashblock
plus a bit of changes in about:config
Also I use Tor browser a lot.

fluidfocus
#4 Posted : 7/22/2015 4:07:08 AM

DMT-Nexus member

For Chrome:

uBlock Origin - Ad blocker
* (or Adblock Plus which is supposedly slightly more comprehensive, but slower)

Cryptocat - Encrypted chat

Disconnect - Privacy, ad blocking

Ghostery - Privacy, ad blocking

Privacy Badger - Privacy, ad blocking

FlashBlock - Security, ad blocking

HTTPS Everywhere - Privacy, security

Ufostrahlen
#5 Posted : 7/24/2015 5:00:04 PM

xͭ͆͝͏̮͔̜t̟̬̦̣̟͉͈̞̝ͣͫ͞,̡̼̭̘̙̜ͧ̆̀̔ͮ́ͯͯt̢̘̬͓͕̬́ͪ̽́s̢̜̠̬̘͖̠͕ͫ͗̾͋͒̃͛̚͞ͅ

Chrome/Chromium > Firefox in terms of multi-processor utilization and startup speed.

Context Menu Search or Context Search for speedy searching.
Enigmail in Thunderbird for GPG mail encryption.
Internet Security: PsilocybeChild's Internet Security Walk-Through(1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(7)(8)
Search the Nexus with disconnect.me (anonymous Google search) by adding "site:dmt-nexus.me" (w/o the ") to your search.

TGO
#6 Posted : 7/26/2015 11:59:41 PM

Music is alive and in your soul. It can move you. It can carry you. It can make you cry! Make you laugh. Most importantly, it makes you feel! What is more important than that?

Welcoming committee

Thank you for this thread! I already use ad blocker and I just added Privacy Badger and HTTPS Everywhere! Props for safer surfing!

Smile
New to The Nexus? Check These Out:

One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish