We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Boiling mushrooms vs boiling aya Options

Sandgrease
#1 Posted : 7/10/2015 12:04:44 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Does anyone have any idea why one is able to boil DMT containing plants for hours at a time with little to no DMT loss but there's consensus that boiling psilocybin containing mushrooms is going to degrade or oxidize that psilocybin?

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Swarupa
#2 Posted : 7/10/2015 10:23:28 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I don't necessarily think that DMT in Aya is more stable than Psilocybin in mushrooms although i'd love to know more about it... any consensus that says boiling Psilocybin mushrooms decreases potency is a tad overstated in my opinion, when it boils down to it the potency lost through making a brew is minimal, in my experience at least.
Smile

I've found that Psilocybin is stable enough in boiling water although after brewing it may not keep for very long so it's best to drink the tea the same day, maybe that's psilocin loss though... most Psilocybes contain Psilocybin & Psilocin, Psilocin is much more likely to degrade with heat so really depends on what ratio of Psilocybin : Psilocin is in your mushrooms to begin with. For example Cubensis have a higher amount of Psilocin when compared to Semilanceata so it may be best to eat Cubes whereas boiling Liberty Caps into a tea could result in very little potency loss, although to be honest i've made Cubensis tea many times and even when i boil/reduce for half an hour it's always very potent 🍄

Sandgrease
#3 Posted : 7/10/2015 5:43:59 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I've made tea by boiling water, letting the water cool for about 30 seconds to a minute and then pouring it over the mushrooms and stirring for 5-10mins and straining and then repeating.

I'd heard this adding citrus juice would actually limit some of the degradation because of its antioxidation properties or something.

So you don't think boiling or simmering for 15 minutes with lemon juice would really be bad?

Swarupa
#4 Posted : 7/10/2015 6:48:25 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Boiling with lemon juice may not be the best thing to do as that could lead to having lots of Psilocin alongside a high heat which could damage it, the anti-oxidant properties of ascorbic acid in lemon juice may help to prevent oxidation but the heat may still cause degradation, Psilocin is quite unstable by many accounts.

If i fancy a lemon tek tea then i add the lemon juice after boiling when it's not hot but warm, then allow time for Psilocybin to be dephosphorylated into Psilocin and drink the tea once it's tepid or room temp, i prefer it without lemon myself as i find it lasts a bit longer.

You can steep mushrooms in boiled water as you've described but i've found i need to steep them at least twice to get all the actives... recently i only use wild mushrooms that grow around sheep poop so i'd prefer them to have been boiled first.
Smile