We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
How do you cope when you can't exercise? Options

Akasha224
#1 Posted : 7/8/2015 1:53:55 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I'm almost always in a very hyperactive, almost "manic" state of mind. Meditation & yoga have helped mildly, as has daily consumption of Cannabis, but the most effective method in achieving a peaceful state of mind is physical exertion. I first discovered these effects a few years ago when I began walking to work. I would walk four miles there, work a physically intense job for anywhere from 8-12 hours a day, and then walk another four miles home - after a day like that, who has the time or energy to be hyped up? I was tired, but at peace.

Long story short, I was in a very bad car accident about a year ago & it took a few months for me to recover before I could start biking/hiking/doing other miscellaneous physical activities to "burn off" that extra energy I have. During this period, I went, for lack of a better descriptor, completely nuts. There was so much pent up physical energy in my body & there was nothing I could do about it, seeing as I spent most of my day laying in bed with a heating pad and taking muscle relaxers to deal with the pain. The psychological effects of chronic pain played a bit part in this period as well, as I have spent the first 20-something years of my life dipping in & out of phases of pretty severe depression. Luckily, Cannabis (& the occasional DMT journey) kept me positive & upbeat through this period, amongst the mental ruminations telling me I'm screwed, I'm never going to be normal again, I'm never going to be able to walk again, etc. (this clearly wasn't the case).

I was "all better" by the beginning of this year (around January or February) & I have been more physically active in the past 6-7 months than I have been in my entire life put together. However, this eventually caused me to push myself too far, & after a 22-mile unicycle ride (yes, a unicycle) over the weekend, I overexerted something & have pretty serious neck/shoulder pain that is preventing me from really doing any sort of physical activity except for short walks. I'm going to my doctor this afternoon to get it examined. Luckily, I have a job where I sit at a desk all day, so my livelihood isn't being threatened at the moment (this was the case when I first got into the accident, however). The lack of physical exertion is bringing back those exaggerated feelings of hopelessness & depression, & negatively afflicting my cognition - I can't concentrate on anything for more than five minutes without having to pace around my apartment, fidget with a couple things, go outside, etc.

Of course, this is only temporary - I don't believe that I am in danger of any kind of permanent damage to my body that's going to place me in a wheelchair for the rest of my life, & for that, I am extremely grateful - the fact that I even survived the car accident I was in was a borderline miracle, according to emergency responders at the scene. My question to other Nexians that have found themselves in a similar position: how do you cope when your body is simply unable to be exerted to a degree which proves beneficial to your psychological health?
Akasha224 is a fictitious extension of my ego; all his posts do not reflect reality & are fictional

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

#2 Posted : 7/8/2015 2:23:48 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

Any time i've pulled a muscle or something similar (sprain, strain, etc), I focus on getting that particular area back in good shape (doctor, warm compress, cold compress, essential oils, good diet, possible light stretching?). While that's healing, I try to do body parts that aren't directly related or going to affect that specific area. Then again - neck and shoulders is connected to many different motions of various body parts, so I understand how rough that'd be.

Then again, if all you can do is walking; just do that; and do it alot if necessary; change up scenery, go hike different areas/places so it doesn't feel monotonous.

<3

RhythmSpring
#3 Posted : 7/8/2015 3:33:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Akasha224,
Wow. I am going through a very similar situation. I have rheumatoid and osteoarthritis, and about a year ago my right ankle swelled up and ate the articular cartilage there to the point of having to limp most of the time.

Since then, more than half of my days it hurts like hell to walk, and I cannot walk normally. I have been having to deal with excess, pent-up energy for about a year, now. It is also driving me crazy.

Dance if you can. Eat lots of insoluble fiber. Greens, roasted buckwheat, broccoli, etc. When you are not physically active, your digestion slows way down, and so it's important to keep it moving with roughage.

Stretch daily, exercise what body parts you can.

Qi Gong, Tai Chi, maybe.

Good to know about the overexertion risk. I'll remember that when I'm back online Wink
From the unspoken
Grows the once broken

Swarupa
#4 Posted : 7/8/2015 10:59:10 PM
DMT-Nexus member

You're looking for something that will benefit your psychological health but is not physically demanding...

It sounds like the perfect opportunity to meditate Love

Also, in times of physical illness if i lose my appetite then i'll fast, not eating means i have less desire to be active so i just rest and heal, it can also help to calm and clear the mind... of course seek more advice before actually ever undertaking a fast, you might need to eat plenty to heal your injuries, but it's an option that not many mention yet is very powerful, i love the theory of allowing the body to heal itself and i've found in some situations it is that simple

For exercising i find Yoga/Tai Chi style to be best, exercise where you can use all your muscles but you slow it down, draw it out, breathe into it and get to know your body deeper

While it's great to be healthy in every way, it can be freeing to not have your psychological health so dependent on your physical health, it will happen sooner or later (we all get old and die) so it can be a good opportunity in my opinion

I wish you all the best in healing Smile