We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
123NEXT»
Grow log updates (Sclerotia) / "Best" Spore syringe storage Options

TGO
#1 Posted : 7/6/2015 7:37:12 PM

Music is alive and in your soul. It can move you. It can carry you. It can make you cry! Make you laugh. Most importantly, it makes you feel! What is more important than that?

Welcoming committee

So my Ps Tampanensis need to be stored while I get everything set up to grow sclerotia (I have to get a new pressure cooker. Sad ). I normally throw (okay I place them, not throwing them Very happy ) them into a zip lock bag and pop them in the fridge until it is time to inoculate. This has always worked in the past and I am fine with keeping it that way.

My question(s) is/are (out of pure curiosity):

Is there a better or "best" way to store your spore syringes?

What method allows the spores to stay viable the longest?

Thank you
New to The Nexus? Check These Out:

One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

BongWizard
#2 Posted : 7/6/2015 7:54:28 PM

Hyperspace Cowboy

As far as I am aware, the best conditions are cold and dark, criteria which your fridge (assuming it's running and you've caught it lol) certainly satisfy. I'm not sure if there's a much better way available to us amateur mycologists, but they should last years (decades, perhaps) in a sealed plastic bag in the fridge.
"Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be a spirit of tolerance in the entire population." -Albert Einstein

I'm not a big fan of SWIM. I mean, I've never met the guy, but any time I hear about him, he's doing something sketchy.

EternalPeace
#3 Posted : 7/6/2015 10:46:34 PM
DMT-Nexus member

You should be fine in a seldom-used drawer in the fridge. I actually kept mine outside the fridge in a room temperature drawer for months, about 70 degree area, and it stayed viable for agar isolation. (I was wondering if I was wasting my time when I was in the SAB, gloved up and dropping onto the plates. Turned out perfectly fine, growth showing within a week.)

TGO
#4 Posted : 7/7/2015 3:48:23 AM

Music is alive and in your soul. It can move you. It can carry you. It can make you cry! Make you laugh. Most importantly, it makes you feel! What is more important than that?

Welcoming committee

BongWizard wrote:
...criteria which your fridge (assuming it's running and you've caught it lol)

Laughing

Keep 'em cold and dark in a "captured" fridge...classic. Very happy

Like a good beer! Big grin

..Well, it sounds like the way I'm doing it is the way to go so I'll stick with that. Thanks for the input guys!

marz
#5 Posted : 7/7/2015 3:39:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I keep my spore prints & syringes in a wine cooler inside a ziplockbag and the prints wraped in extra foil and put into a bag aswell.
works good for me Big grin
"PSYCHEDELIC DRUGS DON'T CHANGE YOU- THEY DON'T CHANGE YOUR CHARACTER-UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE CHANGED THEY ENABLE CHANGE THEY CAN'T IMPOSE IT...."
-ALEXANDER SHULGIN

It's time to move on to the next step in the psychedelic revolution

BongWizard
#6 Posted : 7/7/2015 5:04:50 PM

Hyperspace Cowboy

marzbar329 wrote:
I keep my spore prints & syringes in a wine cooler inside a ziplockbag and the prints wraped in extra foil and put into a bag aswell.
works good for me Big grin

You can never be too careful Big grin

Spores are incredibly hardy under the right conditions, but can be incredibly vulnerable as well.
"Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be a spirit of tolerance in the entire population." -Albert Einstein

I'm not a big fan of SWIM. I mean, I've never met the guy, but any time I hear about him, he's doing something sketchy.

TGO
#7 Posted : 7/8/2015 12:11:39 AM

Welcoming committee

*Unrelated* ... sort of ... Very happy

Anyone know the difference between "Rye sprouting seed" and "Rye seed"...?

I just picked up "rye sprouting seed" and it is 100% organic. I read over at the Shroomery board that rye sprouting seed would be fine as long as it is thoroughly rinsed with hot water before going into the PC (to prevent the rye from sprouting). I have never grown sclerotia before (my experience is with Golden Teachers mostly) so I wouldn't want to mess it up due to something silly.

EternalPeace
#8 Posted : 7/8/2015 10:14:37 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Hmm, no idea, sorry. I just make sure to get rye berries. Seed appears to be more difficult to clean out of the stones, so I avoid it.

TGO
#9 Posted : 7/8/2015 11:00:01 PM

Welcoming committee

The can also states:

Rye sprouting seed
100% organic
Weed:0.00%
Inert matter:0.39%
Other Crop: 0.00%
Purity: 99.61%

But that's okay if no one knows, I am not too worried about it. I'm pretty sure it is just Rye seed used for sprouting things like alfalfa, broccoli, buckwheat, Chinese cabbage, Fenugreek, Lentil, Mung beans, Radish, Red clover, Red spring wheat, sunflowers...etc. (it has instructions on the can on how to sprout these items)

I may pick up some regular rye grass seed (a product without the word "sprouting" on the label) and do a side by side comparison. I've also thought about using whole white rice too just to see which of these 3 would work better for scelrotia. But like I said, the stuff I have now seems to me like it will work so I will give it a try and see what happens! Oh, and thanks for the rye berry tip!

TGO
#10 Posted : 7/8/2015 11:16:31 PM

Welcoming committee

Laughing

Well I feel sheepish now...

It clearly states:

"Certified Organic Rye Grain. Perfect for grinding into flour for rye bread, or sprouting."

*Facepalm* Embarrased

EternalPeace
#11 Posted : 7/9/2015 12:51:02 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Ha, you silly head.

TGO
#12 Posted : 7/12/2015 11:14:17 PM

Welcoming committee

Update:

Today was inoculation day! I am using a combination of these two methods:

How to grow sclerotia, "Magic Truffles" or "Philosopher's Stones"

and

Psilocybe mexicana & P. tampanensis (sclerotia)

9 individual quart jars with rye spouting seed. Washed and then PC'd for 90 minutes (my PC cooks at 12psi). Inoculated with ps tampanensis. Now we wait! I have some pictures but I am a little apprehensive about posting them. Perhaps in a couple months when everything is said and done...

Smile Smile Smile

EternalPeace
#13 Posted : 7/15/2015 2:04:29 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Congratulations on taking your first step! Good luck, may your mycelium grow quickly and healthy.

I recommend keeping a log, putting a masking tape note of the inoculation date on one jar, or both. Track them in some way so you know when they should be ready.

I keep different batches separated by different drawers in an unused dresser. All out of sight, nothing anywhere to indicate that it's happening. Totally hands off, set and forget. Gotta love how easy truffles are.

TGO
#14 Posted : 7/15/2015 8:13:59 PM

Welcoming committee

Thanks! It has been more than a few years since I have been able to play around with any sort of mushroom. It is really refreshing to be jumping back in.

I always keep a grow log so I can remember when and what I did specifically (all jars were inoculated within minutes of each other so I wrote the date on the bottom of the box they are sitting in). I have a spare closet that I keep them in. Out of sight, out of mind! It is tempting to take peaks at them but I do a pretty good job at refraining from doing that. Very happy

I plan to start some more next month once I move to my new place in August! And yes, compared to my typical mushroom grow, this was a cakewalk! I was able to keep everything very sterile so there should be little to no contamination. Waiting is the hardest part. But man, it will definitely be worth it!

TGO
#15 Posted : 7/22/2015 7:35:15 PM

Welcoming committee

Small update:

It has been about a week and a half or so and 5 out of the 9 jars are showing signs of life! Nothing too dramatic yet but there is healthy white growth ranging from the size of a dime to the size of a quarter!

It may be moving slow but it is moving! I'll leave them alone for another week and a half to two weeks or so and see how it is going then!

Watching the development is truly fascinating. I still can't believe I waited about 5+ years to jump back into this!

Anywho...

Very happy

EDIT: 8 out of 9 jars are growing healthily. I don't know what is up with that last jar but I will definitely give it time to do its thing... Very happy

TGO
#16 Posted : 8/17/2015 2:36:22 PM

Welcoming committee

Okay! So these jars have been going since July 12th, 2015. These are the most colonized out of the 9 jars and I apologize for the blurriness on one. It is a new digital camera and I didn't want to use the flash if possible. Had to on one...oh well.

Anyway, I read over at the shroomery that full colonization for truffles can take up to 2 months plus at least another month for truffle formation. That is 100% absolutely fine with me! Mushrooms have taught me the invaluable lesson of patience back when I used to do this kind of thing. I do not mind waiting 3 to 4+ months for something so precious!!!

These are 1 month and 5 days old. Do they look normal to you? They look pretty normal to me so far based off of my knowledge of growing cubes. I just like getting second opinions (also I'm new to sclerotia Razz )

(Pics removed for personal reasons)

EternalPeace
#17 Posted : 8/17/2015 10:43:46 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Yup, all looks OK. This is how my first round went with multispore inoculation. They move very slowly, but eventually get there. Your main concern will be that it might not be fast enough to outrun any contamination (if there even is any).

The jar on the left, with the growth at the bottom--the browning areas are the telltale signs of stone growth, which is a good sign. (Now that I know what to look for.) They will darken further until, by harvesting time, they actually look like mushrooms pushing their silly faces up against the glass like little kids. :-) You will see that happen in other areas, but I've found that it happens in that bottom curve of glass more than other areas. It's the prime growth area apparently.

EternalPeace
#18 Posted : 8/17/2015 10:52:04 PM
DMT-Nexus member

What do you have tucked under the lids?

TGO
#19 Posted : 8/17/2015 11:00:34 PM

Welcoming committee

EternalPeace wrote:
What do you have tucked under the lids?

That is Tyvek so that gas exchange can occur but so no contams can get in! I was a little lazy and didn't cut off all the excess...Very happy

Also there should be little to no contamination. I pressure cooked at 12psi for at least 90 min (some went a bit longer, but not much). Also when I inoculated, I sterilized the entire work area with 99% iso, wore sterilized gloves, a painters mask, clean clothes and apron and hairnet w/bandana. Flame tipped and alcohol swabbed the syringe before each injection.

All jars look like healthy growth but yeah these tampanensis are moving rather slow, but they are moving!

TGO
#20 Posted : 8/17/2015 11:02:41 PM

Welcoming committee

EternalPeace wrote:
They will darken further until, by harvesting time, they actually look like mushrooms pushing their silly faces up against the glass like little kids. :-)

This made me:

Big grin

123NEXT»