We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Google AI: Journey through the layers of the mind Options

#1 Posted : 7/3/2015 5:03:32 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

The second transformation; everything about it, screams DMT, especially mushrooms.

A little backstory:

first tests playing with #deepdream #inceptionism

A visualisation of what's happening inside the mind of an artificial neural network.

In non-technical speak:

An artificial neural network can be thought of as analogous to a brain (immensely, immensely, immensely simplified. nothing like a brain really). It consists of layers of neurons and connections between neurons. Information is stored in this network as 'weights' (strengths) of connections between neurons. Low layers (i.e. closer to the input, e.g. 'eyes'Pleased store (and recognise) low level abstract features (corners, edges, orientations etc.) and higher layers store (and recognise) higher level features. This is analogous to how information is stored in the mammalian cerebral cortex (e.g. our brain).

Here a neural network has been 'trained' on thousands of images - i.e. the images have been fed into the network, and the network has 'learnt' about them (establishes weights / strengths for each neuron). (NB. This is a specific database of images fed into the network known as ImageNet image-net.org/explore )

Then when the network is fed a new unknown image (e.g. me), it tries to make sense of (i.e. recognise) this new image in context of what it already knows, i.e. what it's already been trained on.

This can be thought of as asking the network "Based on what you've seen / what you know, what do you think this is?", and is analogous to you recognising objects in clouds or ink / rorschach tests etc.

The effect is further exaggerated by encouraging the algorithm to generate an image of what it 'thinks' it is seeing, and feeding that image back into the input. Then it's asked to reevaluate, creating a positive feedback loop, reinforcing the biased misinterpretation.

This is like asking you to draw what you think you see in the clouds, and then asking you to look at your drawing and draw what you think you are seeing in your drawing etc,

That last sentence was actually not fully accurate. It would be accurate, if instead of asking you to draw what you think you saw in the clouds, we scanned your brain, looked at a particular group of neurons, reconstructed an image based on the firing patterns of those neurons, based on the in-between representational states in your brain, and gave *that* image to you to look at. Then you would try to make sense of (i.e. recognise) *that* image, and the whole process will be repeated.

We aren't actually asking the system what it thinks the image is, we're extracting the image from somewhere inside the network. From any one of the layers. Since different layers store different levels of abstraction and detail, picking different layers to generate the 'internal picture' hi-lights different features.

All based on the google research by Alexander Mordvintsev, Software Engineer, Christopher Olah, Software Engineering Intern and Mike Tyka, Software Engineer

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

DeeMenTalist
#2 Posted : 7/3/2015 5:58:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Wow! Shocked

TGO
#3 Posted : 7/3/2015 6:28:49 PM

Music is alive and in your soul. It can move you. It can carry you. It can make you cry! Make you laugh. Most importantly, it makes you feel! What is more important than that?

Welcoming committee

Amazing!
New to The Nexus? Check These Out:

One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish

marz
#4 Posted : 7/3/2015 7:06:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Oooh my so cool
"PSYCHEDELIC DRUGS DON'T CHANGE YOU- THEY DON'T CHANGE YOUR CHARACTER-UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE CHANGED THEY ENABLE CHANGE THEY CAN'T IMPOSE IT...."
-ALEXANDER SHULGIN

It's time to move on to the next step in the psychedelic revolution

Nathanial.Dread
#5 Posted : 7/3/2015 8:16:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Was it the same layer getting enhanced every time, or were you varying the behavior of the net?

Blessings
~ND
"There are many paths up the same mountain."

#6 Posted : 7/3/2015 8:32:01 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

Nathanial.Dread wrote:
Was it the same layer getting enhanced every time, or were you varying the behavior of the net?

Tbh, I have not the slightest clue about 'the same layer getting enhanced'. Im still reading into all this tbh.

When you say 'were you'; apologies, I don't follow; I wasn't varying anything hehe, this wasn't me nor did I do this video.

Btw, the background info at the top was copy and pasted from vimeo's original video of this. Juist a reminder for people reading/watching this. I didn't write it. Should've put it in 'quote'.

<3

spacexplorer
#7 Posted : 7/4/2015 10:43:58 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Omg we are getting so close to full AI that it's scary

Nathanial.Dread
#8 Posted : 7/5/2015 5:19:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Tattvamasi wrote:
Nathanial.Dread wrote:

Tbh, I have not the slightest clue about 'the same layer getting enhanced'. Im still reading into all this tbh.

When you say 'were you'; apologies, I don't follow; I wasn't varying anything hehe, this wasn't me nor did I do this video.

Btw, the background info at the top was copy and pasted from vimeo's original video of this. Juist a reminder for people reading/watching this. I didn't write it. Should've put it in 'quote'.

<3

Oh, woopse, I misunderstood, I thought that was you in the video. My bad.

The neural net used to make these effects has multiple layers, higher layers process higher level abstractions and more complex imagery, similar to how our brains are thought to do object recognition.

spacexplorer wrote:
Omg we are getting so close to full AI that it's scary

Meh, I don't buy that, I'm not sure we'll see truly strong AI until the next century, if we get there at all. There's so much more than the ability to make pretty pictures. Google's image recognition software is still rife with problems, and UAVs screw up way more than they're successful.

I'm not even sure what 'AI' means at this point? Is it the ability to perform a given task? Passing the turing test? Creativity? 'Consciousness?'

Blessings
~ND

#9 Posted : 7/5/2015 12:43:22 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

Nathanial.Dread wrote:
Tattvamasi wrote:
Nathanial.Dread wrote:

<3

Oh, woopse, I misunderstood, I thought that was you in the video. My bad.

The neural net used to make these effects has multiple layers, higher layers process higher level abstractions and more complex imagery, similar to how our brains are thought to do object recognition.
~ND

Ahh okay. Thanks for a little bit of explanation. No worries. Smile

After looking at some of the images on googles tech page on twitter (where people are uploading their images through this prog), I see what you are talking about and while im not sure about the video I linked; many of the images uploaded on their page are being passed 25-50 times through apparently (at least by a few people). Id like to know about the video I linked as well..

<3

fathomlessness
#10 Posted : 7/5/2015 1:14:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Tattvamasi wrote:
we're extracting the image from somewhere inside the network. From any one of the layers. Since different layers store different levels of abstraction and detail, picking different layers to generate the 'internal picture' hi-lights different features.

Nathanial.Dread wrote:

What happens if you coalesce the different extracted layers and combine them? Or is that what we are seeing already?

Nathanial.Dread
#11 Posted : 7/5/2015 2:15:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

fathomlessness wrote:
Tattvamasi wrote:
we're extracting the image from somewhere inside the network. From any one of the layers. Since different layers store different levels of abstraction and detail, picking different layers to generate the 'internal picture' hi-lights different features.

Nathanial.Dread wrote:

What happens if you coalesce the different extracted layers and combine them? Or is that what we are seeing already?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Each layer processes a different aspect the input image. Layer 1 might just pick out lines, and angle orientations, which then feeds that information to the next layer, which uses those lines and angles to make shapes, layer 2 feeds into layer three which uses those shapes to make slightly more complex shapes.

By enhancing the output of a layer, you can 'see' visually, what each layer does. It doesn't make sense to talk about 'coalescing' the layers I think, since they're all already working together. Again, it's analogous to the human brain, where one task (object recognition for example) is broken down and distributed across many different regions, all of which do a unique part, but communicate with each other to create an integrated percept of vision.

Blessings
~ND

DoingKermit
#12 Posted : 7/6/2015 11:00:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The second one is ridiculously similar to DMT. It actually gave me shivers!

Here's another neural network generated vid:

#13 Posted : 7/7/2015 12:21:00 AM

Game Master

I find it interesting that this is a Google AI thing . . . if you've seen Ex Machina you'll know it was about a billionaire founder of a search engine that may as well be Google (they called it something else, Blue something) and that he created the first real AI . . . . lots of movies and shows and news about robots and AI lately. I, for one, welcome our new robot masters.
Fear, belief, love phenomena that determined the course of our lives. These forces begin long before we are born and continue after we perish. We cross and recross our old paths like figure skaters; our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.
---David Mitchell, Cloud Atlas

TGO
#14 Posted : 7/7/2015 12:23:39 AM

Music is alive and in your soul. It can move you. It can carry you. It can make you cry! Make you laugh. Most importantly, it makes you feel! What is more important than that?

Welcoming committee

DoingKermit wrote:

Just when I started to think that Fear and Loathing couldn't get any weirder/trippier...

Laughing

Thanks for sharing Kermit!
New to The Nexus? Check These Out:

One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish

Praxis.
#15 Posted : 7/7/2015 1:46:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

DoingKermit wrote:

THAT was something else! I cannot wait to see where this technology brings us Big grin

All sorts of new DeepDream content is popping up across the internet. Google has shared how to create these images ourselves here. You can view what other people are coming up with here (WARNING--some images may be NSFW).

I'd love to see what kind of weirdness folks here are capable of creating Very happy Rolling eyes Confused Shocked Cool
"Consciousness grows in spirals." --George L. Jackson

If you can just get your mind together, then come across to me. We'll hold hands and then we'll watch the sunrise from the bottom of the sea...
But first, are you experienced?

Muskogee Herbman
#16 Posted : 7/7/2015 3:11:27 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Someone needs to put Enter the Void on this thing.
Creator help me live in a way that will make my ancestors proud.

Metanoia
#17 Posted : 7/14/2015 3:55:19 AM

DMT-Nexus member

This Deep Dream software is amazing.

https://vimeo.com/132700334

dreamer042
#18 Posted : 7/14/2015 7:42:33 PM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

This is pretty interesting:

Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca

anrchy
#19 Posted : 7/14/2015 9:21:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Does anyone else think that this seems to closely resemble what our brains are possibly doing?
Open your Mind () Please read my DMT vaping guide () Fear is the mind killer

"Energy flows where attention goes"

[Please review the forum Wiki and FAQ before posting questions]

Metanoia
#20 Posted : 7/14/2015 11:53:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

anrchy wrote:
Does anyone else think that this seems to closely resemble what our brains are possibly doing?

That was my first thought!

How is it that this "AI" can produce images that so closely resemble the altered states of consciousness brought on by many psychedelics? I sat pondering this for several hours during a trip recently and I'm no closer to any sort of reasonable answer.

12NEXT