We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
123NEXT
Why do nexians give such little discussion about the larger questions of existence? Options

fathomlessness
#1 Posted : 7/1/2015 7:40:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I am having trouble finding threads about users discussing the nature of reality and existence itself (I would appreciate linksSmile ). I would of thought that the powerful mind-aletering substance that forms the base subject of this forum would elicit more centralized discussion on the deeper aspects of life but what I find in "open discussion" is relatively trivial content.

IE
"Lindsay Lohan used ayahuasca to recover from her miscarriage"
"Same sex marriage legalized in USA"
"Ask an intrusive question to the person below you"
"Memories are deteriorating in my head..."

And over to the philosophy section (which is pretty much dead lately (perhaps because it's at the bottom of the page)) there are a few good ones like:

"Illusion of free-will?"
"Simulation hypothisis"
"Justification of conciousness"
"The Eight Possible Ways of Interpretating Reality"

So why do you think this is? Is it that these subjects are becoming increasingly more difficult to talk about with the more information one has to intergrate and therefor leads to confusion and then a desire for the more simple things? Or is it that most nexians are still occupied members of a droning western society that promotes a certain simplicity or even dullness in there outlook or investigation of the world? (i.e. displayed in the level of complexity of public media - pop songs less evocative than classical... news less meaningful than existentialist arthouse cinema)

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

obliguhl
#2 Posted : 7/1/2015 7:46:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
I am having trouble finding threads about users discussing the nature of reality and existence itself

Then create some.

fathomlessness
#3 Posted : 7/1/2015 7:49:25 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I have... Please don't be rude, this is an enquiry in to why it is so not and attack or a complaint?

SpartanII
#4 Posted : 7/1/2015 7:55:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Perhaps they have been discussed before. You could always "resurrect" some that interest you. Search!Cool

Ufostrahlen
#5 Posted : 7/1/2015 7:59:54 AM

xͭ͆͝͏̮͔̜t̟̬̦̣̟͉͈̞̝ͣͫ͞,̡̼̭̘̙̜ͧ̆̀̔ͮ́ͯͯt̢̘̬͓͕̬́ͪ̽́s̢̜̠̬̘͖̠͕ͫ͗̾͋͒̃͛̚͞ͅ

The open discussion section was always filled with trivial content (memories are deteriorating in my head... lmao) - but I don't think there's a lack of discussion regarding the nature of reality. The CULTURE AND SOCIETY, SPIRITUALITY, SCIENCE AND PHILOSOPHY sections are full with material. Personally, I think it's redundant to discuss the subject over and over again, because there's a point where language is inadequate.

If you are craving for a new discussion, start a new thread or add content to the old ones, I'd say.
Internet Security: PsilocybeChild's Internet Security Walk-Through(1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(7)(8)
Search the Nexus with disconnect.me (anonymous Google search) by adding "site:dmt-nexus.me" (w/o the ") to your search.

fathomlessness
#6 Posted : 7/1/2015 8:06:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

SpartanII wrote:
You could always "resurrect" some that interest you. Search!Cool

Yes, that has and still seems to be a problem for me finding the goods but I still am curious about the current lack of quality information being discussed.

Koornut
#7 Posted : 7/1/2015 8:14:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

In my experience, discussions such as the ones you long for require more than just a text-behind-avatar approach. Especially if one is able to proof and edit their post unto death or perfection. The nexus chat, although I spend very little time there, might provide a more personal glimpse into the mysteries of the verse, even if the content does not reflect that glimpse. A deep conversation I think, can only happen when there is depth in the medium of communication. With no batter example than a couple of goosed-up hash-heads on a park bench at 4 in the morning slowing running ouy of beer and wondering why?
Inconsistency is in my nature.
The simple PHYLLODE tek

I'm just waiting for these bloody plants to grow

fathomlessness
#8 Posted : 7/1/2015 9:12:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Sphorange wrote:
In my experience, discussions such as the ones you long for require more than just a text-behind-avatar approach.

Sphorange wrote:
A deep conversation I think, can only happen when there is depth in the medium of communication.

*Opts for telepathic communication with dmt Cool

Ufostrahlen wrote:
Personally, I think it's redundant to discuss the subject over and over again, because there's a point where language is inadequate.

*Destroys all text based mediums, relocates to hyperspace Cool

obliguhl
#9 Posted : 7/1/2015 9:21:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:

I have... Please don't be rude, this is an enquiry in to why it is so not and attack or a complaint?

Explain how my statement was rude or a complaint.

Hiyo Quicksilver
#10 Posted : 7/1/2015 11:24:16 AM

just some guy

While the general attitude round here may lean toward the material and pragmatic styles of approach, there is far from a lack of discussion along the lines you mentioned. As Sphorange mentioned, it's a bit easier to discuss that which is quantifiable via text.

There are places to discuss psychedelics in other contexts, but the language is necessarily different and the subject matter a bit more esoteric. Nevertheless, do take a look... I know Arcanorium and many other well-respected online communities study pychedelics and their applications in a wider context of psychology, spirituality and primary experience.

...Just don't expect all of these places to be as grounded as the Nexus. Razz

Ufostrahlen
#11 Posted : 7/1/2015 12:13:47 PM

fathomlessness wrote:
Ufostrahlen wrote:
Personally, I think it's redundant to discuss the subject over and over again, because there's a point where language is inadequate.

Language, logos, logic are situated in the language dominated hemisphere of the brain. I don't think you can adequately explain phenomena like OBEs, telepathy etc. with these brain areas. I think there will never be a character based pattern (aka text), that can adequately describe a much more detailed picture, let alone a perceived stream of events called reality. Whatever that is.
Ufostrahlen attached the following image(s):
image-863243-galleryV9-fljc.jpg (119kb) downloaded 264 time(s).
Internet Security: PsilocybeChild's Internet Security Walk-Through(1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(7)(8)
Search the Nexus with disconnect.me (anonymous Google search) by adding "site:dmt-nexus.me" (w/o the ") to your search.

amandanita
#12 Posted : 7/1/2015 1:28:49 PM

Love, love love love

Ufostrahlen wrote:
fathomlessness wrote:
Ufostrahlen wrote:

Language, logos, logic are situated in the language dominated hemisphere of the brain. I don't think you can adequately explain phenomena like OBEs, telepathy etc. with these brain areas. I think there will never be a character based pattern (aka text), that can adequately describe a much more detailed picture, let alone a perceived stream of events called reality. Whatever that is.

Not until language develops new words and concepts anyway. And even then it will always be a faint echo of what was experienced. Smile That doesn't mean we shouldn't try. Like a verbal description given to a forensic artist, even a bad description can lead to real answers... eventually Smile
O Immortal, O Soma
Pavamana, Word of God
In flesh and living blood
Resurrected fruit of the Tree of life

gibran2
#13 Posted : 7/1/2015 1:34:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expertSenior Member

fathomlessness wrote:
So why do you think this is? Is it that these subjects are becoming increasingly more difficult to talk about with the more information one has to intergrate and therefor leads to confusion and then a desire for the more simple things? Or is it that most nexians are still occupied members of a droning western society that promotes a certain simplicity or even dullness in there outlook or investigation of the world? (i.e. displayed in the level of complexity of public media - pop songs less evocative than classical... news less meaningful than existentialist arthouse cinema)

I can answer your question only from my personal perspective:

I’ve started and participated in a good many threads about the nature of existence, reality and how we define it, the “improbability of hyperspace”, various simulation hypotheses, materialism vs. idealism (the primacy of matter paradigm vs. the primacy of consciousness paradigm), the “many worlds” hypothesis, free-will, and others.

I post less frequently about these subjects for a number of reasons:

>> I have less free time and generally post less.
>> Posting about such topics would inevitably lead to unnecessary repetition.
>> I’ve already picked the “low hanging fruit”, and developing and expressing more sophisticated ideas is challenging and time-consuming.

If you’re really interested in such topics, I think you can find much more outside of the Nexus. There is plenty to learn about philosophy, physics, mathematics, religion, biology, etc.!
gibran2 is a fictional character. Any resemblance to anyone living or dead is purely coincidental.

Global
#14 Posted : 7/1/2015 2:12:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Music, LSDMT, Egyptian Visions, DMT: Energetic/Holographic Phenomena, Integration, Trip Reports

gibran2 wrote:

>> Posting about such topics would inevitably lead to unnecessary repetition.

I think this is the main point here. If you can't find those threads, you aren't looking hard enough, but perhaps the reason why newer ones are harder to come by is because many of us have debated these topics at nauseum. You can make as many threads as you like, but they will always invite the same arguments, which are worth having, but once you've had them several hundred times, it gets old. I have extensive views regarding the nature of reality, and they have formed the basis for my articles in the Nexian. The next time I make a thread that is focused on the issue will be when I've had a sufficiently strong experience to alter my views in some way on the issue or provide extra details. Until then, it is unlikely that I'll arrive at some other conclusion just through reflection on what I already know.
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind" - Albert Einstein

"The Mighty One appears, the horizon shines. Atum appears on the smell of his censing, the Sunshine- god has risen in the sky, the Mansion of the pyramidion is in joy and all its inmates are assembled, a voice calls out within the shrine, shouting reverberates around the Netherworld." - Egyptian Book of the Dead

"Man fears time, but time fears the Pyramids" - 9th century Arab proverb

Ufostrahlen
#15 Posted : 7/1/2015 2:19:42 PM

From the answers so far I feel that this thread develops into a meta discussion of the nature of reality. Keep it going guys! Thumbs up

zhoro
#16 Posted : 7/1/2015 2:21:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Also, discussion takes one away from Existence :-)
Here it is - right now. Start thinking about it and you miss it. ~ Huang-po

BundleflowerPower
#17 Posted : 7/1/2015 2:26:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I agree, what better place to discuss these sorts of things then right here, right now. I really enjoy these discussions, maybe we can't fully explain, but it is fun to talk about, at least to me. Btw, I happen to like Terence mckenna's model that he layed forth in new and old maps of hyperspace, a geometrical model of consciousness where the world of waking is simply the surface of a much larger reality.

RAM
#18 Posted : 7/1/2015 2:29:08 PM

Hail the keys!

I think it's nice to have discussions about the direction of the Nexus in threads like these. I'm sure that the mods/admins do this in private, but opening a forum on what we want to see more of is great. A thread similar to this actually encouraged me to leave /r/psychonaut, which I was on for a very long time. But I discovered the Nexus and it hasn't gotten old yet! Thumbs up

I love the philosophy threads too, and I think those are what really make the core of the Nexus. Extraction teks are useful, but kind of unnecessary for me since all of the info is on the Wiki pretty much and I am not an advanced chemist by any means. If any paradigms shift or breakthroughs occur in extracting then it's worth posting about, but this isn't too often. I believe Jin made a post like a month ago suggesting how we should shift the focus from extractions to philosophy, like the "classic Nexus."

The main problems with philosophical threads have already been stated. They repeat! But not always. Try going through all the threads in the Philosophy section and then posting about something that you don't think was covered yet. You can also try to post philosophical issues with a personal twist, allowing members who joined more recently to post their personal experiences with a certain philosophical topic, injecting fresh material into the section.

I think it would well worth it for you to check out /r/psychonaut and /r/LSD on Reddit to see what it could really be like. Those posts are kind of cool for a beginner, but now that I look at them, that's where the true repetition takes place! Also their threads are mostly about tripping and legalization rather than actual philosophy. They can get pretty ridiculous too. Checking out those subs will hopefully give you a deeper appreciation for what goes on here.
"Think for yourself and question authority." - Leary

"To step out of ideology - it hurts. It's a painful experience. You must force yourself to do it." - Žižek

BundleflowerPower
#19 Posted : 7/1/2015 2:36:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Perhaps some topics can be repeated in new threads, there's quite a few older threads which I find quite fascinating, and since they were created lots of new members have joined. I think it might be nice to see some newer members thoughts on such topics.

endlessness
#20 Posted : 7/1/2015 4:24:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Obligatory reads on the subject are gibran's threads (improbability of hyperspace, improbability of hyperspace part II) , as well as entropymancer's thread " what is real and when is it useful to ask this"

Happy readings

123NEXT