We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
THC Extraction Options

Phlux-
#1 Posted : 9/9/2009 10:48:41 AM

The Root

Chemical expertSenior Member

Iv heard of meercats extracting thc all sorts of ways - it seems that all their teks are flawed and the final product is impure.
The meercats do use a bho machine from time to time but would like to try other teks.
They also said they tried soaking the ganj in acetone - then they evapped the acetone - washed with hot water - then picked up the goodies with naptha - evapped then baked for 1 hour at 150c - this wasnt a nice final product at all - yeild was huge tho - all sorts of nasties stuck around.
Tried a naptha soak and evap too.

What would be the best way to do this extraction, then after extraction - what can be done other than decarboxylating ?
antrocles wrote:
...purity of intent....purity of execution....purity of experience...

...unlike the "blind leading the blind". we are more akin to a group of blind-from-birth people who have all simultaneously been given the gift of sight but have no words or mental processing capabilites to work with this new "gift".

IT IS ONLY TO THE EXTENT THAT WE ARE WILLING TO EXPOSE OURSELVES OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO ANNIHILATION THAT WE DISCOVER THAT PART OF OURSELVES THAT IS INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Quote:
‹Jorkest› the wall is impenetrable as far as i can tell

Quote:
‹xtechre› cheese is great

He who packs ur capsules - controls your destiny.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Buster
#2 Posted : 9/9/2009 11:58:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Swim would just rather do the butane tek compaired to the acetone and ipa extractions.
the yields are quite small but the resulting smoke is AA+++++Very happy and it looks and tastes
sooooooooooooo much better, and imo gets you far more stoned than the other two extractions i mentioned

peace
I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.

Phlux-
#3 Posted : 9/9/2009 12:21:33 PM

The Root

i totally agree - bho is the best - it is as potent as one could want and tastes delicious - the nexus caused me to get interested in plant chemistry - this is more of a learning experience.
How to extract and clean a diterpenoid - they act so differently to alkaloids.
antrocles wrote:

...unlike the "blind leading the blind". we are more akin to a group of blind-from-birth people who have all simultaneously been given the gift of sight but have no words or mental processing capabilites to work with this new "gift".

IT IS ONLY TO THE EXTENT THAT WE ARE WILLING TO EXPOSE OURSELVES OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO ANNIHILATION THAT WE DISCOVER THAT PART OF OURSELVES THAT IS INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Quote:

Quote:

Observant
#4 Posted : 9/9/2009 12:45:30 PM

Nothing Stops The Void

There are also Methods to Cleanup the dark Green Extracts made with the traditional non Polar Solvents.
The Results are also said to be honey'ish
Had he more quickly realized just who they were,he would have shown them more respect.Had he tried harder to fathom their brilliant minds,he would have taken more of their teachings to heart.Had he more clearly understood the purpose of their being,
he would have more vigorously tried to assist them.They were truly honorable; he was sadly prejudiced.
They were exceedingly well informed; he was grossly ignorant.They were totally indefatigable; he so often, and so quickly,gave up. Still, for many years there was a strong inter-species alliance between the Eleven-Eleven of the Half-way Realm, their Seraphic Associates,and their flesh-and-blood friend, a common mortal. Much was accomplished, many profited, and, there’s only one regret...They could have achieved so much more...

All Hypnotizing Hypnotizes Hypnotizing

Phlux-
#5 Posted : 9/9/2009 1:07:19 PM

The Root

yep - they come out like honey - even after being baked - if using acetone - if using naptha it goes like glass after baking.
it seems cleaning up is more work than using the correct solvent to begin with.
antrocles wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

burnt
#6 Posted : 9/10/2009 7:23:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

Chromatography is the best way to purify THC from other cannabinoids. Liquid liquid partitioning won't cut it. Although liquid liquid can be used to seperate the acids from neutrals.

69ron
#7 Posted : 9/10/2009 8:12:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

"Liquid liquid partitioning won't cut it."

That's not entirely true. Chromatography is very similar to liquid liquid partitioning. Using liquid liquid partitioning and various mixes of solvents with different polarities, chromatography like separation can be performed, provided the difference in solvency of the desired chemical versus the undesired ones is wide enough, otherwise chromatography is needed.

For example, using heptane with Anadenanthera in liquid liquid partitioning after freebasing, you extract DMT alone, while using MEK extracts DMT + bufotenine + bufotenine N-oxide, while using a mix of 2:3 of MEK:Heptane extracts DMT + bufotenine and leaves the N-oxide behind. The separation results are nearly as effective as column chromatography in this case. Column chromatography separation is normally more precise but other methods do work and some just as well and some ever better.

I'm not interested in THC one bit, so maybe in this case, column chromatography is the best method. It all depends on what you're extracting.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

Fatcat
#8 Posted : 9/11/2009 12:06:42 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I do a very light butane wash to get the best stuff first, then i do a bunch of acetone washes to get the yield. I just thought of this, but you could probably dissolve the acetone hash in butane, MEK, Xylene, D-limonene, and all the other fun solvents, if you try enough and evap them all afterwards, you could theoretically isolate single active chemicals. I am perfectly content with my BHO though.
By allowing this message to pass through your cornea, into your retina, you accept it as is and agree to my disclaimer regarding my posts that they are a complete falsification by doing so freeing me of all liability, direct, indirect, consequential or incidental that may arise from the instillation of this post in your memory bank.

Phlux-
#9 Posted : 9/11/2009 6:47:25 AM

The Root

yeah - maybe i should just chill, bho is so perfect anyway.
I tried what i suggested with salvia a while ago -
put about a cup of ganj in a bottle, added a small amount of acetone - shook it epilepticly for 1 minute(preddy violently)
Filtered the acetone then poured it into a bowl of boiling water.
The acetone instantly boiled - leaving the muck in the water and the actives floating(the water looks like green milk now)
Naptha was used to pick up all the floating oil stuff and is now evaporating.
antrocles wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Phlux-
#10 Posted : 9/11/2009 6:48:56 AM

The Root

can cooking/camping gas or some other gas be used instead of butane - butane is expensive here. or is there some larger containers available(bigger then the ones u use to refill lighters)?

which solvent is closest to butane (heptane ?) and would it help if the bho proceedure was done with everything fresh from the freezer and still ice cold(thinking the butane would stay in liquid form longer if the bho machine and ganj is very cold)?
antrocles wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

burnt
#11 Posted : 9/12/2009 3:08:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
That's not entirely true. Chromatography is very similar to liquid liquid partitioning. Using liquid liquid partitioning and various mixes of solvents with different polarities, chromatography like separation can be performed, provided the difference in solvency of the desired chemical versus the undesired ones is wide enough, otherwise chromatography is needed.

For example, using heptane with Anadenanthera in liquid liquid partitioning after freebasing, you extract DMT alone, while using MEK extracts DMT + bufotenine + bufotenine N-oxide, while using a mix of 2:3 of MEK:Heptane extracts DMT + bufotenine and leaves the N-oxide behind. The separation results are nearly as effective as column chromatography in this case. Column chromatography separation is normally more precise but other methods do work and some just as well and some ever better.

I'm not interested in THC one bit, so maybe in this case, column chromatography is the best method. It all depends on what you're extracting.

Technically CPC (centrifugal partition chromatography) is a solvent based chromatographic method that works to purify all kinds of compounds like cannabinoids even salvinorins.

But no liquid liquid partitioning isn't effective for seperating THC from compounds that are very similar in polarity and structure to it like the other cannabinoids in the plant. Its been tried many times in many ways.

For alkaloids these kinds of separations are much easier using simple liquid liquid and pH varying separations and thats one reason alkaloid research progressed so well in the early days of chemistry.

Phlux-
#12 Posted : 9/13/2009 7:15:37 PM

The Root

something else was tried.
Ganja was shaken hard in acetone at room temp for 1 minute then filtered and poured into a bowl of boiling water.
The water turned milky and some salt was added - when no smell of acetone remained there was an oil on top - naptha was used to pick it up and then the naptha was evaporated.
The yeild is a very very potent green oil.
antrocles wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

MagikVenom
#13 Posted : 9/14/2009 5:27:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Phlux- wrote:
something else was tried.
Ganja was shaken hard in acetone at room temp for 1 minute then filtered and poured into a bowl of boiling water.
The water turned milky and some salt was added - when no smell of acetone remained there was an oil on top - naptha was used to pick it up and then the naptha was evaporated.
The yeild is a very very potent green oil.

You got it right stay with Butane freeze the plant maternal before extraction lock up that water soluble GREEN CRAP in the biomass.

Acetone sucks EVERYTHING potent yes choke you yes green taste yes.

Soak your biomass in liquid butane give it a shake and filter. Dont bother with tubes ect it aint supercritical its a simple solvent soak below the freezing point of water.

At less you got a real chem lab that is the best method.

Feel free to PM me for details I wont post the tek cause it is dangerous for NOOBS!

Back awile when things were plentiful I had butane canisters in my trash like most beer drinkers had cans(had them to) the honey oil is just like a vaporizer no tar no green much easier in the lungs!

Just pack you bowl with screens do your extraction put oil in altoids mint tin or other tin or glass.
Then buy yourself a box of pins from local store. Use the pin to scrape honey oil from tin.
Then stick pin with oil into center or bong bowl packed with screens leaving oil pin stuck in screens.
Now heat slowly and suck slowly the oil will run off pin onto screens and vaporize it will go quickly.
Hold it in and feel the thc surge into your brain. exhale the wonderful flavor.

Make it with primo bud it dont get any better. Be carful it will expand and leave you rolling on the floor choking if you over do it.
people who dont reg use cannabis will find it to be way to much.

Wish i could still afford to use it exclusively it is much healthier and taster. All other solvents i tried leave a taste behind even it they evap clean. BUTANE is the way or CO2 it must be below freezing point of water or you get crap.

PEACE
MV

burnt
#14 Posted : 9/14/2009 8:09:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

^^Yes one advantage of using butane / pentane / or hexane is that very little chlorophyll and other pigments dissolve in it. Its makes for a cleaner product then lets say one extracted with acetone or ethanol.

Phlux-
#15 Posted : 9/16/2009 6:43:15 AM

The Root

http://www.gardenscure.c...-honey-oil-under-13.html

on this page - the first page it shows the use of hexane - looks good.

can propane (cooking gas) be used in my bho machine safely ?
antrocles wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

timeloop
#16 Posted : 9/18/2009 3:18:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

ive been using acetone myself. Does the trick if your in a rush... but it pulls loads of crap and is no where near pure thc

after reading up on some pages from gardencure it seems that hexane is the way to go for sure... other than butane that is

bubble bags are also always great and can get a very delicious smoke

Phlux-
#17 Posted : 9/18/2009 5:49:03 PM

The Root

A 1 minute hot naptha shake did a nice job - clear orange goo that hardened after baking - sharding, etc...
One small drop(streight from the oven while still hot hot) was placed on room temp water to form a clear, very thin circular window.
antrocles wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

thepureskunk
#18 Posted : 9/18/2009 6:45:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

timeloop wrote:
bubble bags are also always great and can get a very delicious smoke

Its very easy to make a very high quality hash using these bags. If you use loads of ice and a wooden spoon you will make a top quality, melty, bubbling goodness Very happy

And if you use a nice sativa, its even better!

I've smoked honey oil and ISO extracted oils but the ice method or a quality silk screen is better imho

acolon_5 wrote:
Welcome to club hypersex.

I've been there too...it is amazing.

Phlux-
#19 Posted : 9/20/2009 6:26:42 AM

The Root

yeah but see bho and bubble bags are very very common techniques to make hash - bob does not desire hash - there is more than enough of that around - bob desires a new tek to make hash.
antrocles wrote:

Quote:

Quote: