We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Kombucha Options

Sky Motion
#1 Posted : 6/21/2015 5:23:39 PM

<3

http://www.npr.org/secti...elixir-or-just-funky-tea

http://mic.com/articles/...ight-have-the-right-idea

http://www.phoenixhelix....ombucha-myths-vs-truths/

I've been reading a few articles about how there is a serious lack of scientific evidence for kombuchas health benefits. What we do know is that it contains and B vitamins, undoubtedly good. But are other sources of probiotics just as effective and possibly *safer*?

Overhyped, great, or somewhere in the middle?

Side note: I also had a friend who actually had his car breathalyzer pick up on elevated BAC after drinking a kombucha and had to explain to his parole officer why, it was a BT kombucha.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

cyb
#2 Posted : 6/21/2015 5:36:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Digi-Art, DTP, Optical tester, Mechanic, CarpenterSenior Member | Skills: Digi-Art, DTP, Optical tester, Mechanic, Carpenter

Chan
#3 Posted : 6/21/2015 10:00:05 PM

Another Leaf on the Vine

Sky Motion wrote:
Discuss.

Has a good amount of probiotics and B vitamins, but there is no doubt that its health benefits are over-exaggerated by the "new-age" community.

Science thanks you for your profound insight, and eagerly awaits your next pronouncement!

β€œI sometimes marvel at how far I’ve come - blissful, even, in the knowledge that I am slowly becoming a well-evolved human being - only to have the illusion shattered by an episode of bad behaviour that contradicts the new and reinforces the old. At these junctures of self-reflection, I ask the question: β€œare all my years of hard work unraveling before my eyes, or am I just having an episode?” For the sake of personal growth and the pursuit of equanimity, I choose the latter and accept that, on this journey of evolution, I may not encounter just one bad day, but a group of many.”
― B.G. Bowers

ΰ₯

Sky Motion
#4 Posted : 6/22/2015 1:21:20 AM

<3

Yes I did do a search prior to posting, I edited my text to gear the discussion the way I had originally intended.

Quote:
Science thanks you for your profound insight, and eagerly awaits your next pronouncement!

Lack of science is what brought me to post in the first place, sorry if I hit a soft spot in you.

Chan
#5 Posted : 6/22/2015 7:21:01 AM

Another Leaf on the Vine

Quote:
Lack of science is what brought me to post in the first place, sorry if I hit a soft spot in you.

Well, it's hard to tell now you've gone back and re-edited your somewhat lazy OP... But it reads better, btw.

What I have a problem with, is people here, who should know better, posting "Ne1 got papers on rectal admin of ketamine???" or whatever highly subjective speciality has just piqued their interest.

Most papers are, sadly, produced with commercial aims in mind. Therefore, they typically do not extend to subjects which cannot easily be monetized. This includes many things we take for granted here, from ayahuasca to kombucha. It sucks, but it's the way it is, and we have to resort to older empirical methods, and rely on the experience of others.

I've been brewing & drinking kombucha for years, and have never found it to be noticeably alcoholic. It tends to turn straight to vinegar, without going through a 'boozey' phase. You see the figure 1% bandied about, and depending on the BAC sensitivity then perhaps, if some kombucha had just been swooshed around the mouth, that MIGHT be enough to briefly give a positive reading. A lot of testing equipment is operating at the ng level now, which is very very strict, obviously.

If you cast the net wider, to look at 'immune system disorders' you can start to find many problems attributable to the 'hygiene hypothesis'. Most people in the developed world lack sufficient regular exposure to safe 'immune system challenges'; kombucha is an easy, safe (IME) way to fix that, as well as boosting your microbiome (also a hot area of research ATM).

Never forget, if it was left up to Big Pharma & FDA, you wouldn't even be allowed to drink OJ: you'd be taking vitamin C tablets instead.

β€œI sometimes marvel at how far I’ve come - blissful, even, in the knowledge that I am slowly becoming a well-evolved human being - only to have the illusion shattered by an episode of bad behaviour that contradicts the new and reinforces the old. At these junctures of self-reflection, I ask the question: β€œare all my years of hard work unraveling before my eyes, or am I just having an episode?” For the sake of personal growth and the pursuit of equanimity, I choose the latter and accept that, on this journey of evolution, I may not encounter just one bad day, but a group of many.”
― B.G. Bowers

ΰ₯