We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
123NEXT»
Fruitarian or vegan? Options

amandanita
#1 Posted : 6/18/2015 4:17:58 AM

Love, love love love

Anyone considering a fruitarian or a vegan diet can find all the helpful information contained in this thread right here:
werd wrote:

1. get sprouting. sprouted lentils are complete source of protein. if you want to eat light, sprouts are the way. also affordable. mix it up! this way you also save a lot of energy not having to cook your legumes and it is much much more nutrient dense and of course, alive.

2. not all soy is good for you (especially if not organic, it matters!)-- unless eating tofu in moderation, or fermented. something you may want to consider. that soy milk may eventually shut down thyroid function.

3. peanuts can be dirty (aflatoxins) and hard to digest (heavy). consider raw sunflower seeds instead. sesame seed is also a good addition. a bit of natural halite salt is good to help your body digest raw seeds and nuts more efficiently, as is a nice glass of water sipped when eating. chewing well is also sometimes overlooked! liquefy.

4. if you want to eat lots of fruit, have greens with every time you choose to eat more than a few handfuls. if you are going to live off bananas you need at least an equal amount of lettuce or other greens with a little bitter to go with it.

5. you are going to need a source of omega 3 fatty acids. large quantities of sprouted flax may work but your body will take time to adjust to convert the alpha-linolenic acid to longer chain EPA and DHA (crucial for nervous system function and lots of other things) more efficiently. some greens, such as perilla seed and leaf, are also high in ALA. algae is also another source of longer chain omega-3 but must be gathered or cultivated from heavy metal and toxin free water source. however, note that flax contains quite a bit of cyanogenic glycosides and phytoestrogen so you may want to be moderate or avoid.

6. start learning what greens are good forage around you; one of the best ways along with mushroom gathering to get closer to nature and cultivate sense of place...dandelions, nettles, purslane, pigweed, there are many many more. most wild greens are very high in iron and pro-vitamin A, carotenes, and flavonoids! always have some fats with your greens as vitamin A and carotenes are fat-soluble and your body needs the fat to really make the most of the nutrients in raw greens as well as stimulating liver activity.

7. b12...if you are already anemic it may very well be you are low in methyl-folate and b12 both of which are critical in iron metabolism. find some sublingual methylcobalamin (pretty much anyone can benefit from more b12 esp. if taking 5ht psychedelics often). avoid taking folic acid supplements as it is toxic and prevents full metabolism of other b-vitamins and enzymatic cofactors....for B9, it is essential you take the form 5-MTHF if you are going to supplement. many people don't realize that most B vitamin supplements are actually the wrong form, which end up being rejected by the body and doing more harm than good.

8. there is nothing wrong with good slow carbs (if it's not wheat...). try having some scottish milled oatmeal, or steel cut oats soaked (not cooked) for a few hours for your first meal of the day...it will stabilize your blood sugar and prevent insulin spikes from eating lots of fruit. if you really want to avoid grains you are going to need a lot of cinnamon to balance out your pancreatic response curve and keep insulin in healthy range. licorice root can also help in this regard.

9. atlantic kelp for your thyroid. thyroid hormone is made from iodine. iodine from the sea is essential...iodine from land is a different isotope. be careful where you source your seaweeds from.

as for vitamin D...get lots of sunshine as it is what holds it all together. in the fall and winter if you are far from the equator, lichen and mushrooms will give you enough vitamin D2 (the pro-vitamin D2 is called ergosterol and D2 is called ergocalciferol), which is converted from ingested fungi and plants to cholecalciferol D3 in the body by the liver) to get through to spring.
there is actually a lichen species (Cladina sp.) that produces vitamin D3! pine pollen is also a great source of free vitamin D3.

Good luck Smile

If you're going fruitarian, this post will offer a perspective on it. You can find counterarguments below it.
O Immortal, O Soma
Pavamana, Word of God
In flesh and living blood
Resurrected fruit of the Tree of life

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Chan
#2 Posted : 6/18/2015 4:35:29 AM

Another Leaf on the Vine

Without sources of protein and fat, Amandanita, you will begin to waste away and die.

The middle path is there for a reason...unlike diet orange soda.
“I sometimes marvel at how far I’ve come - blissful, even, in the knowledge that I am slowly becoming a well-evolved human being - only to have the illusion shattered by an episode of bad behaviour that contradicts the new and reinforces the old. At these junctures of self-reflection, I ask the question: “are all my years of hard work unraveling before my eyes, or am I just having an episode?” For the sake of personal growth and the pursuit of equanimity, I choose the latter and accept that, on this journey of evolution, I may not encounter just one bad day, but a group of many.”
― B.G. Bowers

inaniel
#3 Posted : 6/18/2015 4:42:09 AM

mas alla del mar

It would take a ridiculous amount of berries to sustain a 2,000 plus calorie diet. not to mention, as posted above, berries don't give much in way of protein and fat.

I would seriously give this diet a thorough evaluation, try checking out https://cronometer.com/ and also reading up on people with similar diets and the troubles that come with it. There's no doubt that one can maintain a raw, plant based diet, but just berries seems a bit difficult to me.

nemesauce
#4 Posted : 6/18/2015 4:50:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Man From Chan Chan wrote:
Without sources of protein and fat, Amandanita, you will begin to waste away and die.

So right!

I follow a paleo diet.
-high protein, high healthy fat (avocado, coconut oil)
I stay away from pork and eat beef rarely, mostly chicken and fish. If you're vegetarian or vegan you'll want different options for proteins.

-low carb and I avoid starch and refined sugars.
Mostly quinoa and some brown/wild rice. I eat quite a bit of low sugar fruit and berries. I avoid dairy like the plague, lol.

amandanita
#5 Posted : 6/18/2015 4:51:28 AM

Love, love love love

I'll make sure to get enough protein and fat. Smile
O Immortal, O Soma
Pavamana, Word of God

amandanita
#6 Posted : 6/18/2015 4:55:49 AM

Love, love love love

inaniel wrote:
It would take a ridiculous amount of berries to sustain a 2,000 plus calorie diet. not to mention, as posted above, berries don't give much in way of protein and fat.

I would seriously give this diet a thorough evaluation, try checking out https://cronometer.com/ and also reading up on people with similar diets and the troubles that come with it. There's no doubt that one can maintain a raw, plant based diet, but just berries seems a bit difficult to me.

You missed out on the fruits part... Smile

20-25 bananas = 2000 calories. 5 bananas five times a day, who can't eat that?

Just an example.

I can't eat 2000 calories though, I would blow up like a balloon! Laughing

I gain weight on 2000 calories a day. I don't know how big/active you think I am, but either way your assumption is wrong. 2000 calories is not the correct amount for me Smile There is no magic number that fits everyone, it depends on your gender, height, weight, muscle mass, level of activity and so on.

Another reason to eat fruits and berries is so that I don't have to pay attention to every calorie I eat. Maybe that will lead to a healthier way of eating overall. I hope Smile

nemesauce wrote:
So right!

see above Smile i feel better not eating meat or meat products. i won't waste away from a month of too little protein. Laughing i'll add protein when I'm ready!

Thank you for contributing with your own diet choices, always interesting to read Smile
O Immortal, O Soma
Pavamana, Word of God

Chan
#7 Posted : 6/18/2015 4:58:25 AM

Another Leaf on the Vine

Well, good luck on your journey!

I look forward to your updates Smile
“I sometimes marvel at how far I’ve come - blissful, even, in the knowledge that I am slowly becoming a well-evolved human being - only to have the illusion shattered by an episode of bad behaviour that contradicts the new and reinforces the old. At these junctures of self-reflection, I ask the question: “are all my years of hard work unraveling before my eyes, or am I just having an episode?” For the sake of personal growth and the pursuit of equanimity, I choose the latter and accept that, on this journey of evolution, I may not encounter just one bad day, but a group of many.”
― B.G. Bowers

amandanita
#8 Posted : 6/18/2015 5:02:19 AM

Love, love love love

Well, good luck on your journey!

I look forward to your updates Smile

Thank you <3 this is definitely a healthier step for me. And it's not written in stone, I'll try to listen to my body and change the diet when needed.

I also need salt from my diet, i'm gettng a salt stone for that purpose Smile (not the first time I'll be licking one Laughing )

I'm trying to keep it balanced but the beginning will be a little unbalanced, I'll tweak it eventually... Smile

I appreciate the concerns, I really do. I just have to do this my way but none of the concerns were ignored, I take them all seriously! I know I need protein and fats from my diet and I'll try to find a way to incorporate them soonish. Smile

ps i checked, my soy milk has some protein in it! if i drank 1 liter a day i would get almost all the protein I need according to the RDA... I don't drink a whole liter a day but I'm getting some protein, anyway Smile
O Immortal, O Soma
Pavamana, Word of God

jamie
#9 Posted : 6/18/2015 6:48:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

dude..that is a horrible diet idea. A fruit/berry diet is going to leave you with deficiencies..trust me. No I mean it..trust me...

Do whatever you feel is right I guess...but from my experience with that sort of a diet and all the research I have done since, this is not a healthy diet by any means.

I personally know someone I work with who stopped having her period after doing a diet just like this for an extended period..and I have also seen another person really go downhill with serious hormonal deficiencies etc after several years.

Take care of your body..we did not evolve to just live on fruit. No amount of wishful thinking will solve that. Eat some vegetables and nuts, and at least take a b12 supplement.

Just my 2 cents after spending a number of years obsessed over diets due to chronic ailments like colitis and spondylitis..I was raw vegan for a couple years, tried fruitarian..cooked vegan..vegetarian..primal/paleo(def the best diet for my body)...

I have never seen a person who eats only fruit and looks healthy and vibrant.
Long live the unwoke.

amandanita
#10 Posted : 6/18/2015 7:56:18 AM

Love, love love love

jamie wrote:
dude..that is a horrible diet idea. A fruit/berry diet is going to leave you with deficiencies..trust me. No I mean it..trust me...

Do whatever you feel is right I guess...but from my experience with that sort of a diet and all the research I have done since, this is not a healthy diet by any means.

I personally know someone I work with who stopped having her period after doing a diet just like this for an extended period..and I have also seen another person really go downhill with serious hormonal deficiencies etc after several years.

Take care of your body..we did not evolve to just live on fruit. No amount of wishful thinking will solve that. Eat some vegetables and nuts, and at least take a b12 supplement.

Just my 2 cents after spending a number of years obsessed over diets due to chronic ailments like colitis and spondylitis..I was raw vegan for a couple years, tried fruitarian..cooked vegan..vegetarian..primal/paleo(def the best diet for my body)...

I have never seen a person who eats only fruit and looks healthy and vibrant.

Thank you for the worry Love but I'm trying! step by step!
O Immortal, O Soma
Pavamana, Word of God

universecannon
#11 Posted : 6/18/2015 1:53:36 PM

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

It's fine as a temporary thing to clean yourself out...but if that's your aim, why not just start juicing things? Juice tons of greens and vegetables along with your berries. It really feels amazing for me after a few days, but don't over do it. For me it was better to transition slowly from my horrific junk food diet to how I eat now. Don't go too fast, be easy on yourself.

Also, get some sun if you are pale. We synthesize it from light for a reason. And if you make mushroom tea (be it medicinal or psychedelic), let them sit in the sun for a while first. They synthesize a ton of vitamin D themselves this way and it makes them a great source. B12 would be a good idea too if you stay on a raw plant based diet, and I definitely don't suggest ignoring greens, herbs, medicinal mushrooms, and vegetables! I've eaten that way for over 5 and a half years I think now and I don't have any deficiencies that we've detected and never get so much as a head cold anymore, but b12 is a good idea to take just in case. I don't know if this diet is for everyone but it's important to make sure your eating enough as well and getting everything you need.

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

inaniel
#12 Posted : 6/18/2015 2:03:45 PM

mas alla del mar

amandanita wrote:

Just an example.

I gain weight on 2000 calories a day. I don't know how big/active you think I am, but either way your assumption is wrong. 2000 calories is not the correct amount for me Smile There is no magic number that fits everyone, it depends on your gender, height, weight, muscle mass, level of activity and so on.

Another reason to eat fruits and berries is so that I don't have to pay attention to every calorie I eat. Maybe that will lead to a healthier way of eating overall. I hope Smile

i did miss the fruit part. And i don't think everyone needs that many calories a day. But when people eat a raw food diet, they typically need more than what they were consuming on a cooked food diet. A lot more, the majority of the time. But feel free to experiment yourself, listen to your body, etc.

amandanita
#13 Posted : 6/18/2015 2:07:59 PM

Love, love love love

inaniel wrote:
amandanita wrote:

Just an example.

i did miss the fruit part. And i don't think everyone needs that many calories a day. But when people eat a raw food diet, they typically need more than what they were consuming on a cooked food diet. A lot more, the majority of the time. But feel free to experiment yourself, listen to your body, etc.

oh, i hope the diet makes me burn more calories, but at this point i'm not sure. i'll see how i'll feel in a week. i can always stop it if it doesn't work out but if this doesn't work... i won't have many ideas left.
O Immortal, O Soma
Pavamana, Word of God

universecannon
#14 Posted : 6/18/2015 2:13:36 PM

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

The whole 2000 calorie thing has never really been substantiated from what I've seen, and I've seen other studies that show greater immune function etc on lower calorie diets. So I don't know what to think there, I just wouldn't eat so little that you shed off too much weight. People tend to do that without realizing it. With exercising again and eating a lot I've started to really gain muscle but it can be difficult for people, especially since most won't eat enough to do that. For some it's simple though, everyone is different. I know folks who look like they're in great physical shape and they hardly ever lift a finger and eat taco bell everyday. Very happy

Still, I think you should incorporate vegetables and greens into it for sure, if only ones you've juiced. Why not?

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

obliguhl
#15 Posted : 6/18/2015 2:15:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

If you are addicted to sweets/soda, switching over to fruits isn't a bad idea but should not be a permanent solution in my opinion. I was very pro fruit, but i learned over time, that protein and healthy fats are very very important for my wellbeing. Also, carbohydrate isn't an essential macronutrient. Fat and Protein IS.

Try nuts, avocado, chia, butter, coconut oil and eat copious amounts of broccoli, spinach and other leafy green vegetables.

Fruits will get you high but don't a sugar rush as a sign that you are on the right path.
Getting awawy from processed crap is a good, first step of course. And yes, of course you will get various micronutrients through fruits...but you can also get them through greens without the heavy carb load.

Sounds like you want to get leaner...well...then a high sugar diet is the worst you can do.
Try intermittent fasting (16-18 hours) + low carb medium protein, high fat.

amandanita
#16 Posted : 6/18/2015 2:19:51 PM

Love, love love love

universecannon wrote:
It's fine as a temporary thing to clean yourself out...but if that's your aim, why not just start juicing things? Juice tons of greens and vegetables along with your berries. It really feels amazing for me after a few days, but don't over do it. For me it was better to transition slowly from my horrific junk food diet to how I eat now. Don't go too fast, be easy on yourself.

Also, get some sun if you are pale. We synthesize it from light for a reason. And if you make mushroom tea (be it medicinal or psychedelic), let them sit in the sun for a while first. They synthesize a ton of vitamin D themselves this way and it makes them a great source. B12 would be a good idea too if you stay on a raw plant based diet, and I definitely don't suggest ignoring greens, herbs, medicinal mushrooms, and vegetables! I've eaten that way for over 5 and a half years I think now and I don't have any deficiencies that we've detected and never get so much as a head cold anymore, but b12 is a good idea to take just in case. I don't know if this diet is for everyone but it's important to make sure your eating enough as well and getting everything you need.

Thank you for the advice. I have b vitamin supplements (all the b vitamins in one pill) but it's like with all pills... i forget to take them :/ i very rarely get sick but i have some deficiencies. mostly anemia which is why i'm pale and always cold. i have iron pills too but i never forget to take any pills regularly.

i don't know what your diet is but i doubt i could start eating your diet. if i want to maintain a healthy diet, it can't include bread, pasta, potato, oats, wheat, rye, barley, starchy vegetables, meat, eggs, significant amounts of rice, butter, oil or much salt. i'd prefer not to eat animals or animal products but that's more for... spiritual reasons? anyway, red meat is out. peanuts will be my source of protein I think. soy is also fine... in any form.

my unhealthy diet, i won't get into details but it's probably not what you imagine. it wasn't always the same but for the most part it was 95-100% sugar. anyway, i can't just eat anything without it affecting me mentally. if I had a choice, I'd take a pill once a week (more often and I'd forget Laughing ) that would give me all the calories and vitamins and minerals for that week and cause no cravings. Big grin but since that's not possible, I'll contend with eating what I can. starting with fruits and berries, adding nuts and maybe soy in various forms (i'm currently using soy milk in my coffee Smile it has some protein...)
O Immortal, O Soma
Pavamana, Word of God

jamie
#17 Posted : 6/18/2015 2:20:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

yup more fats, more greens less sugar if you want to cleanse out a lot of parasites etc that are fed by a high sugar(like fruit) diet.
Long live the unwoke.

amandanita
#18 Posted : 6/18/2015 2:25:42 PM

Love, love love love

jamie wrote:
yup more fats, more greens less sugar if you want to cleanse out a lot of parasites etc that are fed by a high sugar(like fruit) diet.

I'll listen to my body. anyway, this is part of me moving closer to nature, i didn't choose to eat fruits because i got a whimsical idea, i was lost as to what to eat and this idea came to me and i felt like it's part of this "closer to nature" thing that's been happening to me.

I really can't stop this because i can't go back to eating nothing but sugar/candy. I can't just randomly pick another diet because i don't know if it will work or lead to more complications. i have to stick with this and then slowly modify it to be healthier. even now it's healthier than how i was eating (or not eating) before.

when i can stick to a somewhat healthy diet then i can take steps to make it even healthier Smile
O Immortal, O Soma
Pavamana, Word of God

travsha
#19 Posted : 6/18/2015 4:39:57 PM

Share Love ~

I find the easiest way to eat healthier is to totally commit to it and rarely ever cheat. When I do it half-assed it is actually much harder for me and I have poor results.

I kinda enjoy dieting sometimes, although the only diets I do are ceremonial ones - like when I diet for Ayahuasca or when I diet a plant (apprenticing to the plant while consuming some everyday and eating a super restricted bland diet).

I have been trying to keep some of my weight on and it is difficult sometimes, especially with how often I do ceremony.... Hard to get as many calories if I am dieting and hard to eat much if working with San Pedro or Ayahuasca - too busy in ceremony....

When I am not dieting my normal diet is still pretty healthy - I try to have every meal be at least half vegetable. I dont like grains and carbs as much - they make me gassy, so I eat a lot of oils, dairy and meat. I tried being vegetarian once because my girlfriend was vegan at the time - made me feel like shit after a while.... First week or two was easy, but after a month especially I was tired and gassy all the time...

I think for me my body feels best with a moderate size of meat and a huge side of veggies - and some kind of fat (either fatty meat, oil, dairy, nuts ect).

My main goal nutrition wise is to have lots of variety and lots of veggies - I figure that should keep me balanced enough and so far I think it is working because I almost never get sick (its been a couple years since I even had a minor cold!).

amandanita
#20 Posted : 6/18/2015 5:51:51 PM

Love, love love love

travsha wrote:
I find the easiest way to eat healthier is to totally commit to it and rarely ever cheat. When I do it half-assed it is actually much harder for me and I have poor results.

I kinda enjoy dieting sometimes, although the only diets I do are ceremonial ones - like when I diet for Ayahuasca or when I diet a plant (apprenticing to the plant while consuming some everyday and eating a super restricted bland diet).

I have been trying to keep some of my weight on and it is difficult sometimes, especially with how often I do ceremony.... Hard to get as many calories if I am dieting and hard to eat much if working with San Pedro or Ayahuasca - too busy in ceremony....

When I am not dieting my normal diet is still pretty healthy - I try to have every meal be at least half vegetable. I dont like grains and carbs as much - they make me gassy, so I eat a lot of oils, dairy and meat. I tried being vegetarian once because my girlfriend was vegan at the time - made me feel like shit after a while.... First week or two was easy, but after a month especially I was tired and gassy all the time...

I think for me my body feels best with a moderate size of meat and a huge side of veggies - and some kind of fat (either fatty meat, oil, dairy, nuts ect).

My main goal nutrition wise is to have lots of variety and lots of veggies - I figure that should keep me balanced enough and so far I think it is working because I almost never get sick (its been a couple years since I even had a minor cold!).

Thank you for sharing Smile i'm staying committed, i know i have to!

You're the second person boasting about almost never getting sick. I wish I could hold that as a hallmark of my health but I can't. No matter how bad my health or eating gets or how low my weight gets, I don't really start getting sick more often, not that I can tell.

It's important to know your body and your needs! For me dropping meat was easy and I feel really good about it Smile we have different bodies that are developed during our different lives to different diets, and we were different to begin with. there's no one thing that works for everyone, you have to know your own needs and limitations.
O Immortal, O Soma
Pavamana, Word of God

123NEXT»