We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Trip Sitter Resources Options

dreamer042
#1 Posted : 5/25/2015 9:03:53 PM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

After a recent conversation in chat I was inspired to create a thread devoted to collecting the resources available for training a competent trip sitter. I'm calling on the community to share the resources and tools they are familiar with and utilize in preparing for and working through psychedelic experiences.

To start I gotta practice some shameless self promotion for the nexus and highlight The Open hyperspace Traveler Handbook. This is a great all around guide to preparing for and getting the most out of a psychedelic experience.

Along similar lines The Psychedelic Explorer's Guide by James Fadiman is an incredibly helpful resource.

Shout out to the Tripsit network. This whole website is designed around having 24/7 access to tripsitters on their IRC network. Just go to the home page and click immediate assistance for instant access to qualified sitters online. They also have lots of helpful guides available. For the simplest, most straight forward, quick and dirty guides around I highly recommend their How To Tripsit In Real Life and How To Tripsit Online guides.

MAPS has posted a video of their Zendo training orientation online which may be a little more accessible for those less inclined to read through the books. It's a bit long, but one of the absolute best resources available for training a competent sitter. They have also posted the The Zendo Project Harm Reduction Manual online, which is another very useful resource.

Erowid has a guide/sitter vault.

Now lets highlight a couple of the classic texts.
No list of sitter resources would be complete without The Psychedelic Experience: A manual based on the Tibetan Book of the Dead. The original guide to approaching the psychedelic experience.

Another classic guide that has stood the test of time is The Handbook for the Therapeutic Use of Lysergic Acid Diethylamide-25. Which has functioned as one of the premier guidebooks on psychedelic therapy since the 1950's.

Here are several more relevant resources available through MAPS:
Manual: How to Work with Difficult Psychedelic Experiences
The Manual of Psychedelic Support This one is more dedicated to onsite/festival support but is still very useful.
MDMA-Assisted Psychotherapy Treatment Manual
Relevant Free Books
Psychedelic Harm Reduction Resources

The place of a sitter is to simply be present and available to the tripper if and when needed. This generally breaks down to sitting quietly within shouting distance, which really is a pretty boring job, so giving your sitter access to these resources gives them a relevant interesting and educational way to the pass the time while simultaneously putting all the tools they could need to deal with a crisis within easy reach.

Courtesy ProTip: Blood pressure and heart rate monitors not only make fun trip toys to play with during the experience, they also allow you to irrefutably demonstrate that even though it feels like you are dying, you are really fine. Thumbs up
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

DmnStr8
#2 Posted : 5/26/2015 12:10:29 AM

Come what may

This is great Dreamer! Thanks for posting this!

Thumbs up
"In the universe there is an immeasurable, indescribable force which shamans call intent, and absolutely everything that exists in the entire cosmos is attached to intent by a connecting link." ~Carlos Castaneda

a1pha
#3 Posted : 5/26/2015 12:15:56 AM

Moderator | Skills: Master hacker!

You didn't make it a sticky, dreamer042. Fixed that for you.

Excellent information!

a1pha
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." -A.Huxley

TGO
#4 Posted : 5/26/2015 12:58:54 AM

Music is alive and in your soul. It can move you. It can carry you. It can make you cry! Make you laugh. Most importantly, it makes you feel! What is more important than that?

Welcoming committee

What a wealth of information! This is a trip sitter's dream! Smile

Thank you for sharing
New to The Nexus? Check These Out:

One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish

Doc Buxin
#5 Posted : 5/26/2015 8:17:30 PM

Pay No Mind

dreamer042 wrote:
...No list of sitter resources would be complete without The Psychedelic Experience: A manual based on the Tibetan Book of the Dead. The original guide to approaching the psychedelic experience....

So glad to see this get mentioned!!!

This is an incredibly valuable book IME.
Freedom's so hard
When we are all bound by laws
Etched in the scheme of nature's own hand
Unseen by all those who fail
In their pursuit of fate

null24
#6 Posted : 5/27/2015 1:22:15 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

This is a great resource, glad it's stickied! It's exactly these types of resources, that I was unaware of, and the need for rational guidance through the psychedelic experience that inspired the 'integration project'. Just posted a revised proposal for it that hopefully addresses the concerns that led to it's closure, I hadn't seen this thread prior to doing so.

Thanks dreamer, you've created great resources!
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

Purges
#7 Posted : 6/9/2015 11:24:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Was this anything inspired by what happened chez Purges a little while back perchance? Embarrased

Thanks for the awesome resource, and thanks to those who helped ground me sufficiently to help my friend in her hour(s) of need. You rock! In 10+ years of tripping, nothing has gotten so out of hand so quickly.

I will be studying this topic closely in coming months, some chinks were certainly exposed in my armour that night.
Lose Control, Free My Soul, Break Me Open, Make Me Whole.
"DMT kicked my balls off" - od3