We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Isopropanol uses and ideas. Options

Phlux-
#1 Posted : 9/3/2009 12:33:20 PM

The Root

Chemical expertSenior Member

So swim found some pure Iso and read up on it

at wiki it said :-

Unlike ethanol or methanol, isopropanol can be separated from aqueous solutions by adding a salt such as sodium chloride, sodium sulfate, or any of several other inorganic salts, since the alcohol is much less soluble in saline solutions than in salt-free water [5] The process is colloquially called salting out, and causes concentrated isopropanol to separate into a distinct layer.

So swim thought this :- if say cannabis or salvia was left in iso for a period of time - then filtered then mixed with water.
Salt added to separate the water from solvent,
surely the salvianorin or thc would stay disolved in the iso on separation and the contaminants would stay in the water - at least partially.
This idea could lead to a clener di-terpenoid extraction and beats my last salvia extraction idea - or so it would seem.
Comments or suggestions on what else iso can be used for(anything to do with the kinda chemistry discussed here) would be greatly appreciated.
antrocles wrote:
...purity of intent....purity of execution....purity of experience...

...unlike the "blind leading the blind". we are more akin to a group of blind-from-birth people who have all simultaneously been given the gift of sight but have no words or mental processing capabilites to work with this new "gift".

IT IS ONLY TO THE EXTENT THAT WE ARE WILLING TO EXPOSE OURSELVES OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO ANNIHILATION THAT WE DISCOVER THAT PART OF OURSELVES THAT IS INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Quote:
‹Jorkest› the wall is impenetrable as far as i can tell

Quote:
‹xtechre› cheese is great

He who packs ur capsules - controls your destiny.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Infundibulum
#2 Posted : 9/3/2009 1:19:53 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

hm....

The info on wiki is imperfect. Isopropanol (and even better acetone, but to a much much lesser degree ethanol) separate out in high-salt aqueous solutions. But separation is not 100%; if one mixes 1:1 vol/vol isopropanol:water then adds loads of salts one will get 2 distinct layers, a large one gloating on top being like mostly isopropanol and some water (and salt) and a smaller one on the bottom being mostly water, salt and some iso.

Separation with salt works far better with acetone : water mixtures. Still however, if one, say, mixes 50ml acetone and 50 ml water and then adds salt, the top layer is going to be something like 70ml mostly acetone and the bottom one 30ml mostly water.

This trick still holds potential since there may be a salt (or salt combination) that may achieve 100% separation.

Acetone is also far better for salvinorin (iso sucks a bit for salvinorin) and for THC.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

Phlux-
#3 Posted : 9/3/2009 3:00:16 PM

The Root

ok - thanks for clearing that up for me -
1 other question i have is on azeotropes, now my understanding may not be anywhere near correct but everything i know about chemistry was learned here so :
if u mix solvent a and solvent b it can(depending on the solvents) create an azeotrope
if you mix solvent a and b - 50ml of each, does the azeotrope then makes up a percentage, as in after its mixed there is say 40% solvent a, 40% solvent b and now a 20% azeotrope solvent ?
if so can azeotropes be usefull in anything discussed here - like can one isolate that azeotrope and use it as a solvent for something interesting ?

also - now that i got some iso - what can it be used for ?
got some 90% alcahol - highest to be found where swim lives - any use ?
any interesting entheo related uses for heptane besides dmt - re-x or as a binary solvent with di-ethyl ether to pull other jungles ?
is there any common replacement for di-ethyl ether ?
antrocles wrote:

...unlike the "blind leading the blind". we are more akin to a group of blind-from-birth people who have all simultaneously been given the gift of sight but have no words or mental processing capabilites to work with this new "gift".

IT IS ONLY TO THE EXTENT THAT WE ARE WILLING TO EXPOSE OURSELVES OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO ANNIHILATION THAT WE DISCOVER THAT PART OF OURSELVES THAT IS INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Quote:

Quote:

burnt
#4 Posted : 9/4/2009 5:47:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

one nice way to think about azetropes is to think of ethanol distillation. ethanol and water form an azetrope thats why with distillation one can only get about 96% ethanol. there are ways to remove the rest of the water and thats whats done with lab grade ethanol which is often treated with benzene for this purpose. i don't know the exact reason why this happens but it just has to do with the interactions between the solvents really, quantifying that relationship is possible but not necessarily unless your into physical chemistry.

Quote:
also - now that i got some iso - what can it be used for ?

its good to remove impurities from mescaline hcl. its also useful for extracting cannabinoids and other essential oils from cannabis. salvinorin should also be soluble in isopropylalcohol.

Quote:
got some 90% alcahol - highest to be found where SWIM lives - any use ?

cannabinoids and salvinorin are soluble. also mesembrine from sceletium can be concentrated this way (one will be left with a difficult to work with oil though).

Quote:
any interesting entheo related uses for heptane besides dmt

again all those fatty compounds like cannabinoids and salvinorin are soluble in things like heptane.

Quote:
is there any common replacement for di-ethyl ether ?

if swiy means for jungle extractions yea diethylether is not necessary, toluene works even limonene should work. ether has lots of uses but its very flammable and can form peroxides if not stored properly.

Phlux-
#5 Posted : 9/7/2009 9:50:26 AM

The Root

swims worked plenty with the jungle xylene and d-limonene pull from spice - now he wants the particular one pulled with di-ethyl ether and heptane.
swim wants to know the best solvents to use - like yeah alcahol will work but acetone will work better for salvia kinda thing...
what is isopropyl alcahol used for - where it does a better job than any other solvent.
like when someone has every chem they want - what would make them choose iso over the others for something.

antrocles wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Phlux-
#6 Posted : 9/7/2009 9:55:12 AM

The Root

so the alcahol used to wash mesc after the acetone wash can be iso ?(where ethanol was called for)
antrocles wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

burnt
#7 Posted : 9/7/2009 3:55:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

Quote:
swims worked plenty with the jungle xylene and d-limonene pull from spice - now he wants the particular one pulled with di-ethyl ether and heptane.

heptane only pulls dmt. the other solvents probably won't have much difference. SWIM tried a few when doing some analysis of jungle spice and was unable to see any major differences. Never tried limonene though. Tried toluene and ether.

Quote:
SWIM wants to know the best solvents to use - like yeah alcahol will work but acetone will work better for salvia kinda thing...
what is isopropyl alcahol used for - where it does a better job than any other solvent.

the only real way to answer this question is to do side by side comparison of the same plant material under the same extract conditions. then one would also need an analytical method to see what is actually being extracted. bioassays can be too variable.

69ron
#8 Posted : 9/7/2009 5:25:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Phlux- wrote:
so the alcahol used to wash mesc after the acetone wash can be iso ?(where ethanol was called for)

It's actually better to use 99% IPA than ethanol for washing mescaline HCl. Just remember that this wash is specifically for mescaline HCl and doesn't work for many other forms of mescaline (such as mescaline acetate).
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

Phlux-
#9 Posted : 9/9/2009 10:42:38 AM

The Root

Thanks for all the advice.
antrocles wrote:

Quote:

Quote: