We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
GVG = Headache? Options

Akasha224
#1 Posted : 4/9/2015 9:54:35 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Literally, not figuratively. After using the GVG (either for DMT or for Cannabis), I tend to get a very dull, thudding headache. Usually I don't get headaches, and if I do, it's just a matter of eating and drinking water, then it eventually goes away on its own. However, the ones I get from the GVG feel very "unnatural." Is it possible that the headaches are caused by inhaling butane from holding the lighter above the GVG's filter, especially with Cannabis (multiple bowls a day?) I am going to use my PAX vaporizer today and see if that makes any difference. Has anybody else experienced this?

Thanks!
Akasha224 is a fictitious extension of my ego; all his posts do not reflect reality & are fictional

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

ewok
#2 Posted : 4/9/2015 10:39:26 AM

Hey

I have had similar issues in the past if didn't vaporizer quick enough would inhale too much gas. At time I wasn't sure if was just imaging it or not. Guess was poor technique in my case.
Black then white are all I see in my infancy.
Red and yellow then came to be,
reaching out to me, lets me see.
There is so much more and it beckons me to look though to these,
infinite possibilities.
As below so above and beyond I imagine,
drawn outside the lines of reason.
Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

endlessness
#3 Posted : 4/9/2015 10:47:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Are you using a torch lighter? I find those to work better, I think since the butane is pre-mixed with air in the lighter, it burns a cleaner thorough blue flame that does not seem to lead to inhaled butane. Plus you can keep it further away from the GVG than a normal lighter.

Yet another option is buying one of those hempwicks and use that flame to light your GVG. Be sure to put the flame out though Very happy

concombres
#4 Posted : 4/9/2015 1:25:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I've used my gvg a total of 5times. It works well, but it's tricky to use for me.

I stopped using it when i started making changa. It works extremely well in a regular bong with a regular lighter with very minimal combustion.
What i do is just hover the flame a few cm over the changa & slowly start taking a hit, DO NOT cherry the whole bowl. Just gently knick a very tiny edge of the changa with the flame & continue hovering the flame above the changa.
The bong will fill with what looks like very thin smoke, this is just a mix of a small amount of smoke & dense vapor. There should be very little taste from the minimal combustion.

You'll know your getting vapor & not just thin smoke because it has a dense feel in the lungs & tends to cause a little bit of a tickle when held as if you need to cough. It shoudln't be rough.

Viola, no headache.

ScientificMethod
#5 Posted : 4/9/2015 10:04:48 PM

The_Scientific_Method

I have never had this problem with the GVG and I've used it around 30 times (always DMT, never bud). That said, I've allowed friends to use the GVG, and on one occasion, my friend told me that it started with a slight headache and worried him. Then it dissipated in about 30-40 seconds and he enjoyed the experience. When he tried the GVG a second time this problem did not occur.
All of my posts are entirely fictional. I am a writer, and as a means to research the life of a fictional character that I'm writing about, I post on the Nexus to get into character. In real life I have no interest or interaction with mind-altering substances.

Nathanial.Dread
#6 Posted : 4/9/2015 10:31:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I get the same thing any time I smoke with an open flame. Many people find that they get headaches after being exposed to specific chemicals or smells, so you may have a butane sensitivity?

Blessings
~ND
"There are many paths up the same mountain."

Akasha224
#7 Posted : 4/9/2015 11:39:12 PM
DMT-Nexus member

endlessness wrote:
Are you using a torch lighter? I find those to work better, I think since the butane is pre-mixed with air in the lighter, it burns a cleaner thorough blue flame that does not seem to lead to inhaled butane. Plus you can keep it further away from the GVG than a normal lighter.

Yet another option is buying one of those hempwicks and use that flame to light your GVG. Be sure to put the flame out though Very happy

I use an off-brand Arc Turboflame for DMT journeys, but when it's just Cannabis, I use disposable Bics. My torches are both about out of fuel right now, so I'll have to refill them and tried.

I have tried using hempwick before, but it wouldn't stay lit and the flame wasn't quite strong enough to properly vaporizer the bud - maybe I got an "off" brand or something? Do you have a brand that you use/recommend?
Akasha224 is a fictitious extension of my ego; all his posts do not reflect reality & are fictional

Akasha224
#8 Posted : 4/9/2015 11:40:11 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Nathanial.Dread wrote:
I get the same thing any time I smoke with an open flame. Many people find that they get headaches after being exposed to specific chemicals or smells, so you may have a butane sensitivity?

Blessings
~ND

When you say "open flame," are you referring to a normal flint lighter as opposed to a torch? Just trying to clarify.

Nathanial.Dread
#9 Posted : 4/9/2015 11:51:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Akasha224 wrote:
Nathanial.Dread wrote:

Blessings
~ND

When you say "open flame," are you referring to a normal flint lighter as opposed to a torch? Just trying to clarify.

I normally use a normal flint lighter, although I've found that I get similar results when using a torch (which one of my friends has, so it comes out a lot when smoking cannabis).

I'm currently on an anti-migraine medication, which seems to alleviate the symptoms though.

Blessings
~ND
"There are many paths up the same mountain."

starway6
#10 Posted : 4/10/2015 11:15:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Why skip using flame and just use a compact butane heat gun it puts only heat ?

It may work like an electric soldering iron as the butane heats up the metal tip near red hot and

just place the tip near the spice and it vaporizes quickly and cleanly?

Ive been trying to find one of these for a while and hear that a portable electric or gas soldering iron is very similar?

starway6 attached the following image(s):
DSC09155.JPG (2,507kb) downloaded 174 time(s).
DSC09156.JPG (2,929kb) downloaded 174 time(s).
DSC09154.JPG (2,956kb) downloaded 170 time(s).

Akasha224
#11 Posted : 4/10/2015 11:21:51 PM
DMT-Nexus member

starway6 wrote:
Why skip using flame and just use a compact butane heat gun it puts only heat ?

It may work like an electric soldering iron as the butane heats up the metal tip near red hot and

just place the tip near the spice and it vaporizes quickly and cleanly?

Ive been trying to find one of these for a while and hear that a portable electric or gas soldering iron is very similar?

That sounds like it could go very wrong. How hot does it get exactly? Also, wouldn't this require a power source?

anrchy
#12 Posted : 4/11/2015 12:19:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Starway, that would be a very poor method that I doubt would give you good results, if any.
Open your Mind () Please read my DMT vaping guide () Fear is the mind killer

"Energy flows where attention goes"

[Please review the forum Wiki and FAQ before posting questions]

starway6
#13 Posted : 4/11/2015 12:25:35 AM

DMT-Nexus member

device is in photo above..

Why do you think it wouldent work good as long as its held at the right distance from bowl?

anrchy
#14 Posted : 4/11/2015 1:02:59 AM

DMT-Nexus member

When you said soldering gun it threw me off. That looks interesting.
Open your Mind () Please read my DMT vaping guide () Fear is the mind killer

"Energy flows where attention goes"

[Please review the forum Wiki and FAQ before posting questions]

starway6
#15 Posted : 4/11/2015 1:16:28 AM

DMT-Nexus member

anrchy wrote:
When you said soldering gun it threw me off. That looks interesting.

I saw a video once on line where a guy was lighting his spice pipe with something very much like these flamless torches..and it vaped quickly!

I imagine there is a butane flame inside the heat tube? but the flame doesnt come out only heat!!

Says it will heat up to 650 c... 120 degrees.. F....to 650 degrees ..C...

But you dont need to hold it long and the spice should vaporize long before it reaches too high a temp..

I guess it would vape spice withoin 3 or 4 seconds!

I need to get one and give it a try!they are not that expensive maybe 30 bucks?Smile

Akasha224
#16 Posted : 4/11/2015 11:55:08 AM
DMT-Nexus member

My biggest concern would be dropping it during take off and having it burn my arm/leg/etc.

starway6
#17 Posted : 4/11/2015 10:58:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The tip would be hot ..maybe you could rig it so the lighter is on a weighted stand not having to hold it in your hand...

Just push a button lean forward and vaporize ..

I think the best portable hot air heat gun would run on electric with a long cord...

Because electric vaporization would not transfere any negative taste into your pipe...

Ive read that some people claim a butane heat gun can leave a taste in the pipe?

not shure it thats true.lighting should only take a quick 2 to 4 seconds...

Electric vaporization would be the cleanest...i think..