We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Hair Options

slewb
#1 Posted : 3/30/2015 8:23:11 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I guess this is where to put this. For the past decade or so I've worn my hair as long as long as possible. Right now it's longer than the hair of pretty much all women I meet (I'm a man). I shaved it all off once and until it grew long again I kept having dreams about it growing back all of a sudden and being so happy about it. I like the way I look with long hair. It's part of my identity now and I always thought I looked better with it.

So but like just now I had this experience... I had just gotten out of the shower and I went out to have a cigarette and I felt really weird all of a sudden. Like an opening of my brain. I felt very grounded, like I was way more in tune with my environment, and after a few minutes I realized that it was because my hair was wet, and there was a breeze, and I could actually feel the breeze in my scalp, which I never do because I generally wait for my hair to dry before I go outside. But it brought me back to when I first shaved my head, a few years ago. And I felt so free, and didn't even know at the time that I was feeling that.

When I cut off all of my hair a few years back I had been living at a zen monastery for about a month. At that point my ego was like in remission and I knew a hot summer was coming so I just figured like fuck it, I'll get rid of it. And then I left the monastery and just grew it right back again. It's totally a vanity thing for me. I know that. It's gets in the way all the time. But I like it. And I wonder if the fact that I was doing so well spiritually when I shaved it off somehow affected the feelings that the breeze in my scalp brought back tonight, or if I was actually more present after shaving my head.

Anyway I'm not sure what this post is for... hair seems like a pretty strange thing. I always felt like, hey, it's there for a reason. A human forehead is hairless, but then the scalp grows hair pretty much as long as it can. It just seems right... but I miss that free feeling. I guess like, does anyone have any thoughts on hair in general or maybe it's affect on like spiritual practice?

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Mustelid
#2 Posted : 3/30/2015 10:53:18 AM

DMT-Nexus member

RhythmSpring
#3 Posted : 3/30/2015 11:19:19 AM

DMT-Nexus member

During a deep Syrian Rue trip I envisioned myself with very long hair, tied back in a ponytail. I usually have short hair, but I liked this vision.

So, I'm following it. I can totally understand the whole notion behind Samson's story in the bible, where his power lay in his hair. I feel that my hair contains power, or at the very least protection.

I believe that hair is a kind of sensory organ for very subtle things, emotional currents, for lack of better language. Call me crazy.
From the unspoken
Grows the once broken

null24
#4 Posted : 3/30/2015 3:14:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

Your crazy. There. Laughing

JK,maybe.

Stone interesting things about the Samson myth:
Samson belonged to a pre Judaic tribe, they wore their hair as seven long dead locks.
The entire myth, the killing of the Lion as Samson walked along, and then seeing the bees making honey in its head on the way back, is an astrological allegory having to do with the constellations Leo and Cancer, the Sumner and winter solstices.

These stories were used long ago to teach many things, planting and harvest cycles not the least of which.
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

Synkromystic
#5 Posted : 3/30/2015 4:44:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Supposedly hair is an extension of your nervous system.

The native americans would keep their hair long because it acted as another, or an extension of the skins sensory organ. Apparently when they cut their hair, their ability to track animals in the woods would diminish greatly.

hug46
#6 Posted : 3/30/2015 5:42:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Just.Ask.The.Axis
#7 Posted : 3/31/2015 2:14:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Shadow Wolves, this is the real deal. http://www.ice.gov/factsheets/shadow-wolves

Consider yourself lucky, you must completely aware. Cool

slewb
#8 Posted : 4/2/2015 4:01:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah I have yet to see a legitimate source saying that cutting off a Native American's hair affects his tracking abilities. I got really into that for like 5 minutes a while ago because I have some Injun ancestry but couldn't find any good research. None of the images I can find of the Shadow Wolves posted above show guys with long hair. They just look like normal border control guys.

Maybe this summer I will just cut off all my hair again and cultivate beard(already doing a good job)... I will feel free without it... but I know I will want it back...

I feel like I owe it to somone