We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV78910NEXT
Illusion of free-will? Options

thymamai
#161 Posted : 4/25/2015 11:36:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

we create this

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

darklordsson
#162 Posted : 4/26/2015 9:12:19 AM

DMT-Nexus member

hug46 wrote:
jamie wrote:
Life itself would seem to be a contradiction.

That is a very human observation.

Very true, but continue.. To BE human, and more is the breaking point of understanding, and we continue,

Sincerely,

dls Thumbs up

friken
#163 Posted : 4/26/2015 9:05:19 PM

I have gazed into the eyes of insanity and returned the smile

5 Dimensional Nick wrote:
I am not a very well read philosopher nor have I studied it, but it fascinates me.

I have a question.

Can anyone here offer up an explanation of how metaphysically there cold be an ILLUSION of free-will?

I like to believe I have free-will but am interested in counter arguments.

Sort of like religious faith and beliefs, imo free-will is also an unprovable. I say that because we exist in a singular, linear path. We always say we 'could have' made different choices but in the end the story of your life is a linear one. The debate about free-will is this -- given the same input, would you have always gone down the same path? If so, can you really call it free will?

darklordsson
#164 Posted : 4/27/2015 6:21:19 AM

DMT-Nexus member

friken wrote:
5 Dimensional Nick wrote:
I am not a very well read philosopher nor have I studied it, but it fascinates me.

I have a question.

Can anyone here offer up an explanation of how metaphysically there cold be an ILLUSION of free-will?

I like to believe I have free-will but am interested in counter arguments.

Sort of like religious faith and beliefs, imo free-will is also an unprovable. I say that because we exist in a singular, linear path. We always say we 'could have' made different choices but in the end the story of your life is a linear one. The debate about free-will is this -- given the same input, would you have always gone down the same path? If so, can you really call it free will?

But that is reflection on the past, to have such reflections only means to want to continue, or give up, but its always up to you, the individual. There are many ways of giving up and many many more ways to continue. What do you choose? Was my question?..

Sincerely,

dls

gibran2
#165 Posted : 4/27/2015 1:46:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expertSenior Member

This thread now has 165 posts debating whether or not free-will is an illusion – whether it’s real or illusion, whether it’s fact or belief, etc.

I have yet to see here a solid definition of what free-will is. Without a rational, agreed-upon definition, anyone can say anything about anything.

It’s not possible to rationally debate whether or not something exists if you haven’t defined what that something is.

So what is the agreed-upon definition of free-will?

gibran2 is a fictional character. Any resemblance to anyone living or dead is purely coincidental.

zhoro
#166 Posted : 4/27/2015 4:16:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

gibran2 wrote:
This thread now has 165 posts debating whether or not free-will is an illusion – whether it’s real or illusion, whether it’s fact or belief, etc.

I have yet to see here a solid definition of what free-will is. Without a rational, agreed-upon definition, anyone can say anything about anything.

It’s not possible to rationally debate whether or not something exists if you haven’t defined what that something is.

Good point. Furthermore, any such definition's validity would be a function of the validity of that which creates the definition. So, before proceeding with building upon the definition, an examination of that which defines is in order.
Here it is - right now. Start thinking about it and you miss it. ~ Huang-po

hug46
#167 Posted : 4/27/2015 10:28:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

gibran2 wrote:

Now you come to mention it i am not really sure. I don"t know whether to be grateful to you or pissed at you for making me aware that i may have been talking out of my backside for however many posts that i have made in this thread.
I guess i would define freewill as the ability to make decisions independently from outside influences.

a1pha
#168 Posted : 4/27/2015 10:55:01 PM

Moderator | Skills: Master hacker!

hug46 wrote:
gibran2 wrote:

Now you come to mention it i am not really sure. I don"t know whether to be grateful to you or pissed at you for making me aware that i may have been talking out of my backside for however many posts that i have made in this thread.
I guess i would define freewill as the ability to make decisions independently from outside influences.

This is a massive topic, and I have no comment, other than to suggest looking into the following articles for preliminary reading on determinism, foreknowledge and free will. Most courses begin with Aristotle but the Stanford articles summarizing Aristotle leading into Aquinas will likely make more sense to modern audiences.

Free Will
Foreknowledge and Free Will
Future Contingents

Summa Theologica, Question 83 (Free Will)
...What does this mean?
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." -A.Huxley

Rising Spirit
#169 Posted : 4/28/2015 4:11:14 AM

'Tis A Looooooong Wind Blowing Cosmic Dust

gibran2 wrote:

Well said, as per usual, gibran2. Free will would be contingent on fixing a specific definition of just whose will can act freely. Therefore, a definitive self-orientation must be established, by which freedom of choice and self-direction might feasibly apply. And I agree with many of the viewpoints expressed here, that multiple influences come into play about everything we do or conversely, decline the doing of... thus shaping how we react, as perception itself is based upon a necessary specificity in our own unique thought patterns, beliefs and self parameters. Honesty folks, none of us can truly be sure what we perceive is even real. Does the dreamer always know it's dreaming? This only compounds the challenge of clearly defining free will and some modicum of freedom of choice. Cool

Ego is composed of many stimuli and countless influences. So, is said "free will" an aspect of the surface or the very depths of ourselves? Or can it be both? I often wonder and do question just where the lines are drawn, save within the human mind. I also feel that the isolated and individualized self is wholly bound by the interactions which directly stimulate and affect it's vortexial fulcrum of being. One dream sequence impacts the next. Karma is a bitch, right? Higher self or pure soul essence, on the other hand... is perhaps another story altogether? Yet, this may also be illusory in nature? Hence we ponder deeply and often.

I sincerely believe that in our deepest epicenter, we are free and unbound, we do indeed harness intent and so, we do freely and knowingly make choices. We choose to be. We choose to bloom beyond the static. We choose to be birthed into this swirling dichotomy, this realm of duality. And I suspect that a calling from within elicits a profound remembrance of our origins.

Awakening from one's set paradigm ignites an endless ripple and challenges the witness to one's dreamscape to pause and reflect... to come into a deep stillness. In such a state of entrancement, mind stops and a new attention blooms. Light streams from emptiness and another kind of knowing is birthed. Is this then, freedom and spiritual illumination? Who can say with an degree of certainty? Still we querry, we search and we unabashedly explore further down the proverbial rabbit hole. But ain't we got fun? Big grin

There is no self to which I cling, for I am one with everything.

Doc Buxin
#170 Posted : 4/28/2015 10:09:18 PM

Pay No Mind

Rising Spirit wrote:
Who can say with an degree of certainty?

No one.

Rising Spirit wrote:
Still we querry, we search and we unabashedly explore further down the proverbial rabbit hole.

Of course we do!

Rising Spirit wrote:
But ain't we got fun? Big grin

Absolutely!!! Oh yeah!!!!Big grin
Freedom's so hard
When we are all bound by laws
Etched in the scheme of nature's own hand
Unseen by all those who fail
In their pursuit of fate

spacexplorer
#171 Posted : 4/30/2015 1:10:06 AM

DMT-Nexus member

gibran2 wrote:

"Agreed-upon" haha, good luck with that online

spacexplorer
#172 Posted : 4/30/2015 3:31:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

hug46 wrote:
spacexplorer wrote:

I don't really know what else to say to you reading back through your posts. Kind of hard to understand what you stand for. All is one? All is duality? All is nonduality? No free will? You're going to forcefully take free will? Nostalgia for your home? Lesser and greater constructs? Confusing stuff indeed. Do you have an intent for writing the things you write?

From personal experience, i have found that human beings can be contradictory animals. Do we really need to make a stance for any one particular mode of thought?

I like alan watts too. He's like a cross between David Carradine era kung fu and Christopher Lee.

It's impossible not to take a stand. If you are silent you are taking a stand for silence. If you speak in contradictions you take a stand for confusion and chaos. If you say you don't take a stand you take a stand for not taking a stand. Big grin

Rising Spirit
#173 Posted : 4/30/2015 4:49:23 AM

'Tis A Looooooong Wind Blowing Cosmic Dust

spacexplorer wrote:
It's impossible not to take a stand. If you are silent you are taking a stand for silence. If you speak in contradictions you take a stand for confusion and chaos. If you say you don't take a stand you take a stand for not taking a stand. Big grin

You know it.! I am sooooooo reminded of the Rush song, Freewill. "You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice. If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice. You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill. I will choose a path that's clear, I will choose free will."

And come on, just who wouldn't go for self direction, taking the wheel and steering decidedly into the realm of an intentionally chosen, soul direction? Shifting awareness towards the boundary-less expanse of one's affinity with the limitlessness of Infinity? Thumbs up

There is no self to which I cling, for I am one with everything.

nemesauce
#174 Posted : 4/30/2015 5:23:37 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Rising Spirit wrote:

And come on, who wouldn't go for self direction, taking the wheel and steering decidely into the reslm of soul direction. Shifying awareness towards the boundaryless expanse of Infinity? Thumbs up

So by that statement you have decided that both exist and are dependent of each other, "free will" being the steering wheel, "fate" being the eternal road, and "you" being the vehicle.

Free will is dependent on fate because what is cause without effect?
Fate is dependent on free will because how can something exist with only one condition?
You depend on both.

But hey, this is only speculation, and I smoke a lot of weed, lol.

What would you do or think if infinity does have a boundary? It could be that its such a staggeringly enormous "thing" that we can only see it as never ending.

hug46
#175 Posted : 4/30/2015 11:48:13 AM

DMT-Nexus member

a1pha wrote:

This is a massive topic, and I have no comment, other than to suggest looking into the following articles for preliminary reading on determinism, foreknowledge and free will. Most courses begin with Aristotle but the Stanford articles summarizing Aristotle leading into Aquinas will likely make more sense to modern audiences.

Free Will
Foreknowledge and Free Will
Future Contingents

Summa Theologica, Question 83 (Free Will)
...What does this mean?

Thankyou for the links. I am trawling through them as and when my busy schedule allows (the same goes for links that other members have posted in this thread).
I thought about looking up what philosiphers thought that free will was when Gilbran asked for a solid definition, but i didnt wnt to be steered in to regurgitating someone elses concepts.

space explorer wrote:
It's impossible not to take a stand. If you are silent you are taking a stand for silence. If you speak in contradictions you take a stand for confusion and chaos

If you are going by that logic i don"t understand why you are confused about what Jamie "stands" for??

rising spirit wrote:
I am sooooooo reminded of the Rush song, Freewill. "You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice. If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice. You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill. I will choose a path that's clear, I will choose free will."

A few years ago i read an interview with Alex Lifeson on the making of the album Permanent Waves. When Neil Peart was writing the lyrics for "free will" Lifeson wanted to put a few disclaimer lines in to the song alluding to choice not being the same as free will.
Peart decilined his advice, saying that his words didnt have the correct rhyme and metre. The whole band then started arguing about the lyrics and as to what free will actually was for about 2 months, thereby wasting valuable studio time. The producer eventually forced them to draw straws in order to decide on what lyrics to use. I find it quite ironic that the words for a song condoning free will were decided upon by a game of chance!!!!!

joedirt
#176 Posted : 4/30/2015 2:54:22 PM

Not I

hug46 wrote:

A few years ago i read an interview with Alex Lifeson on the making of the album Permanent Waves. When Neil Peart was writing the lyrics for "free will" Lifeson wanted to put a few disclaimer lines in to the song alluding to choice not being the same as free will.

Peart decilined his advice, saying that his words didnt have the correct rhyme and metre. The whole band then started arguing about the lyrics and as to what free will actually was for about 2 months, thereby wasting valuable studio time. The producer eventually forced them to draw straws in order to decide on what lyrics to use. I find it quite ironic that the words for a song condoning free will were decided upon by a game of chance!!!!!

This made me Very happy
If your religion, faith, devotion, or self proclaimed spirituality is not directly leading to an increase in kindness, empathy, compassion and tolerance for others then you have been misled.

a1pha
#177 Posted : 4/30/2015 8:50:54 PM

Moderator | Skills: Master hacker!

hug46 wrote:
I thought about looking up what philosiphers thought that free will was when Gilbran asked for a solid definition, but i didnt wnt to be steered in to regurgitating someone elses concepts.

Regurgitating concepts? When studying free will in university it's impossible to discuss the topic without first discussing Aristotle and Aquinas. All modern arguments regarding free will are based on the work done by these two (and a few others). So, I'm not sure how you come to a definition of free will without first discussing the work done before you. Esp. the Summa Theologica.

Just because the material is dense does not mean its regurgitating concepts. It's like trying to understand calculus without first learning algebra.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." -A.Huxley

hug46
#178 Posted : 4/30/2015 10:27:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

a1pha wrote:
When studying free will in university it's impossible to discuss the topic without first discussing Aristotle and Aquinas.

That is a shame, if i was a lecturer at college, i would ask my students what they thought free will was before introducing them to the works of others and then see where the discussion goes.

Quote:
So, I'm not sure how you come to a definition of free will without first discussing the work done before you.

Why not? I have come to a definition of free will without discussing the work done before me and, according to some of the links you posted, some of my arguments echo these works. Whether my definitions are right or wrong is a different kettle of fish but if i just go "Aristotle said that" or "Descartes said this" then the conclusions that i have come to in regard to free will are not really my own.

Quote:
Just because the material is dense does not mean its regurgitating concepts.

I have no problem reading the thoughts of philosophers, no matter how dense, but i also think that it is healthy to think about philosophical concepts from an individual perspective using knowledge and experience that one has gained through life. Isn"t part of the beauty of philosophy that anyone can have a crack at it, no matter how well educated or uneducated they happen to be.No one was telling Socrates "Nope you can"t define such and such without reading so and so"....(please don"t read that last sentence as me comparing myself to Socrates)

Koornut
#179 Posted : 4/30/2015 10:40:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

@ Hug

It is incredibly beneficial (and painful Pleased ) once your personal philosophy is rock solid, to digest the thought logic of the great minds. I think you will find a multitude of parallels and associations that further strengthen your view. Who knows, you could find a revolutionary pattern that has remained hidden for centuries.
Inconsistency is in my nature.
The simple PHYLLODE tek

I'm just waiting for these bloody plants to grow

Redguard
#180 Posted : 5/1/2015 1:17:59 AM
DMT-Nexus member

a1pha wrote:
hug46 wrote:

Regurgitating concepts? When studying free will in university it's impossible to discuss the topic without first discussing Aristotle and Aquinas. All modern arguments regarding free will are based on the work done by these two (and a few others). So, I'm not sure how you come to a definition of free will without first discussing the work done before you. Esp. the Summa Theologica.

Just because the material is dense does not mean its regurgitating concepts. It's like trying to understand calculus without first learning algebra.

Plato's allegory of the cave should provide a sufficient explanation.
“I am that gadfly which God has attached to the state, and all day long …arousing and persuading and reproaching…You will not easily find another like me.”-- Socrates

«PREV78910NEXT