We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Colonization process... Still not turned white.. Options

brainforest
#1 Posted : 3/20/2015 10:36:18 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi, forgive me if this has alreadybbeen answered.

I've recently attempted to colonize my jar, however it spent the first few days in a less than ideal temperature.

I've now stored it in it's ideal temp/environment, however there is still no signs of it turning white.

Could the initial, cool storage factor have written off this batch. Or will things eventually pick up now that it's stored correctly?

Cheers
"Better safe than sectioned."

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

SnozzleBerry
#2 Posted : 3/20/2015 4:42:19 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

What are your temps and did you start from multispore, liquid culture, agar, or something else?

I have had grain jars started from LC that have showed no signs of mycellium for 5+ days when stored at colder temps. In the end they colonized just fine, I just had to be patient. Initially, all you will see is the tiniest little tufts of rhizomorphic fuzz, which will in turn grow into larger colonies.

I generally store my jars out in the open in ambient room temp and usually see growth on day three or four when starting from LC. Agar is usually faster for initial signs of growth (assuming your inoculation wedge is visible).

Patience. Ignore everything you see online from other people about their timelines; their grows are not yours. You can totally tweak your growth parameters to strive for faster times, but still, your grow is yours and it goes as fast as it goes Smile
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

HumbleTraveler
#3 Posted : 3/23/2015 4:58:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Patience for sure. There are lots of factors that can play into your mycelium growth. Sporess strain, moisture content of the jar/substrate, temperature of the room and the consistency of the temps.

Example, I had golden teacher spores take about a week in jars to see signs of mycelium. I have Malaysian spores that show signs of mycelium in about 24 hours. I keep the environment around 75-78 degrees.
"A troop of elves smashes down your front door and rotates and balances the wheels on the after death vehicle, present you with the bill and then depart. And it's completely paradigm shattering. I mean, ya know, union with the white light you could handle. An invasion of your apartment by jeweled self dribbling basketballs from hyperspace that are speaking in demonic Greek is NOT something that you anticipated and could handle!' -T.M.

The posts and stories by this member are simply for fictional entertainment purposes only and do not reflect any 'real life' occurrences.
Smile

brainforest
#4 Posted : 3/23/2015 7:55:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks, I'm just using your average grow kit from online. I've successfully used these kits several times before. However this time, the colonization tub was stored at a fairly cool temp for the first few days as my boiler broke. I now have it stored next to a radiator. I was just wondering if those first few days of cold could have permanantly stiffled the development of the mycellium.

Cheers

Violet_
#5 Posted : 3/23/2015 4:51:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Cool temps definitely won't kill mycelium or spores, just slow them.

I must say, buying kit after kit is wasteful and dependent. From the very first mushroom you had mature and sporulate you could have been self-sufficient.
There are a wide variety of beginner-friendly grow methods, even those that don't require a pressure cooker. Taking your own spores and using a cheap still-air box will save you so much money, allow you to take control over your success, teach you so much, and eliminate things having to be shipped to your house ever again. And then some.

I am aware of every known beginner method and a couple that are not well known or at all. I would be happy to help you select one if you're interested.

brainforest
#6 Posted : 3/23/2015 8:14:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah I do plan on cultivating my own... Just that current living arrangements make it difficult.

Peace

brainforest
#7 Posted : 3/25/2015 10:40:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

By the way, thanks for the offer Vioelet. Only just read that. I will take you up on it when I embark upon my own shroomery. Thanks.

Peace

concombres
#8 Posted : 3/25/2015 1:41:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

brainforest wrote:
By the way, thanks for the offer Vioelet. Only just read that. I will take you up on it when I embark upon my own shroomery. Thanks.

Peace

Learning to grow without a kit will be extremely rewarding Thumbs up

Those kits are usually pretty small. Once you get the hang of sterile technique & have a few grows under your belt, you can move on to big monotub grows.
A single tub will provide you with a stash for the whole year or longer if you take time to integrate between trips, reset tolerance & keep it to yourself.