We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV23456NEXT»
Psilocybin extraction Options

camakazi
#61 Posted : 8/31/2010 3:45:10 PM

RUN DMT

endlessness wrote:
lorax, psilocybin is only very poorly soluble in ethanol, so its possible that even warming it up, the product you are getting is mostly psilocin and that a significant part of the psilocybin is being left behind. Maybe doing a water or methanol pull after the ethanol pulls will get more actives out of the material

I thought psilocybin was inactive anyway because it couldn't pass the blood/brain barrier? I'm sure someone mentioned psilocybin gets converted to the active psilocin in the gut.
"accept the possibility that you may never come back, then your mind is truly open."
____________________________________________________________________________________

The playful ballad of the sacred salad.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Infundibulum
#62 Posted : 8/31/2010 4:26:35 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

camakazi wrote:

I thought psilocybin was inactive anyway because it couldn't pass the blood/brain barrier? I'm sure someone mentioned psilocybin gets converted to the active psilocin in the gut.

Psilocybin is a prodrug - it gets converted to psilocin in the body. It is far better to have psilocybin extracted than psilocin because the former is far more stable from oxidation and decomposition whereas the latter is a fairly susceptible molecule that requires some delicate handling

endlessness wrote:
lorax, psilocybin is only very poorly soluble in ethanol, so its possible that even warming it up, the product you are getting is mostly psilocin and that a significant part of the psilocybin is being left behind. Maybe doing a water or methanol pull after the ethanol pulls will get more actives out of the material

But how about psilocybin salts? psilocybin can theoretically form salts and some psilocybin form in the mushrooms may very well be ethanol soluble. I believe the ethanol quote refers to the freebase psilocybin.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

endlessness
#63 Posted : 8/31/2010 4:32:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Infundibulum wrote:
(...)

I didnt know psilocybin could form salts, being a phosphate ester (and thus I didnt know you could even call it 'freebase' psilocybin), and specially because I thought acidic solutions (which would be necessary for the salt to form) would actually necessarily dephosphorylate it to psilocin....

and also in lorax's plan, he used plain alcohol soak on fungal mass, so how could it be forming a salt anyways?

camakazi wrote:

yes but this is not really relevant to my point. Even if psilocybin does get metabolized to psilocin before being absorbed, its metabolic product is active, which means ingesting psilocybin is going to be psychoactive, and thus leaving psilocybin behind on a fungal mass is still waste of precious material Very happy

Infundibulum
#64 Posted : 8/31/2010 5:04:54 PM

ModeratorChemical expert

endlessness wrote:
Infundibulum wrote:
(...)

I didnt know psilocybin could form salts, being a phosphate ester (and thus I didnt know you could even call it 'freebase' psilocybin), and specially because I thought acidic solutions (which would be necessary for the salt to form) would actually necessarily dephosphorylate it to psilocin....

and also in lorax's plan, he used plain alcohol soak on fungal mass, so how could it be forming a salt anyways?

Ah, tough issue; psilocybin is a zwiterion, (just like the amino acids that make up proteins) and therefore has a net positive charge in low pH, a net negative charge at high pH and a net zero charge at the isoelectric point, or pI.

This is because it has an amine group that can theoretically be protonated (so psilocybin becomes positively charged) and can theoretically form salts like psilocybin carbonate, but also has the phosphate group that can be deprotonated (so psilocybin becomes negatively charged) and can theoretically form salts like calcium psilocybinate, sodium psilocybinate etc. The amine can have a charge of 0 or +1, where the phosphate group can have a charge of 0, +1 and +2 (ot has two sites of possible deprotonation). Benzyme has calculated theoretically that the net zero pH for psilocybin to be around 4 (he also showed that psilocybin can be found in 5 different states depending on the combination of charges that the phosphate and the amine may have!) If we assume this to be true, then psilocybin is a freebase at pH ~4, positively charged (and potentially salt-forming at pH lower of 4 and negatively charged at pH above 4.
I attached one paper some pages ago where some people showed that psilocybin has a negative charge from pH 4, which totally supports ben's calculations.

SWIM was recently working on am approach for psilocybin isolation form liberty caps (~1% psilocybin) playing around with the pH but he had to leave this project behind because of more important priorities in life! He did an aqueous extraction of fungal biomass using just boiling water. This water had a pH or around 6 at room temperature, indicating that the environment in the mushrooms is slightly acidic, and implying that psilocybin is not at its freebase state, maybe some phosphate salt? And maybe soluble in ethanol? Who knows?

endlessness
#65 Posted : 8/31/2010 5:22:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Interesting information Inf, gives me the jumpstart to research more into this all, thanks!

But still my question remains: Even if it theoretically can form a salt, wont it dephosphorylate before that happens? IIRC I had read that plenty of times in publications that acidic conditions do so.... Maybe there are other conditions that can prevent dephosphorylation and yet make it form a salt?

Also, you say that theoretically it can form a salt, but was there ever any analysis that it can in fact do so, and not just theoretically? Is there any publication out there of this happening, and if so, under which conditions?

camakazi
#66 Posted : 8/31/2010 7:50:08 PM

RUN DMT

endlessness quote...
"yes but this is not really relevant to my point. Even if psilocybin does get metabolized to psilocin before being absorbed, its metabolic product is active, which means ingesting psilocybin is going to be psychoactive, and thus leaving psilocybin behind on a fungal mass is still waste of precious material Very happy"

I agree that no one wants to waste any of the precious material, especially from the mushroom Smile

I was wondering how freebase psilocybin would be active without getting broken down to psilocin... Or are you just wanting to extract to make oral consumption more palatable?

I would love to see what vaping pure psilocin is like, but due to it being so unstable.. It dosen't seem possible.
"accept the possibility that you may never come back, then your mind is truly open."
____________________________________________________________________________________

The playful ballad of the sacred salad.

endlessness
#67 Posted : 8/31/2010 7:58:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Im not sure I understand you, camakazi.. Im not trying to make oral consumption more palatable, im commenting on someone's mushroom extraction. Lets say for the sake of using numbers that 50% of the alkaloids in a mushroom is psilocin, and 50% is psilocybin. If he pulls with ethanol, he might pull those 50% psilocin but the other half of the alkaloids will be left behind. So again, it doesnt matter if psilocybin becomes psilocin in the body, what matters is that it is gonna be psychoactive one way or another (if you take pure psilocybin you will have a psychoactive experience). So im not claiming it is active without getting broken down to psilocin, im just arguing that it is, directly or after being metabolized to psilocin, an active alkaloid and therefore shouldnt be wasted. Did that make more sense now?

Infundibulum
#68 Posted : 9/1/2010 10:26:20 AM

ModeratorChemical expert

endlessness wrote:
But still my question remains: Even if it theoretically can form a salt, wont it dephosphorylate before that happens? IIRC I had read that plenty of times in publications that acidic conditions do so.... Maybe there are other conditions that can prevent dephosphorylation and yet make it form a salt?

I think I understand where the confusion arises; I believe that you assume the salt formation to occur at the site of phosphoryl ester formation? Salt formation (if it happens!) happens on different parts of the molecule (either the "positive" end, or the "negative" end, as shown in the diagram below. I hope this clears things up!

EDIT: more on psilocybin from benzyme, where it shows the pH range at which psilocybin exists as zwitterion (blue line). According to this graph at a pH of 4.2 psilocybin is at teh freebase state whereas protonation of amine (positive charge) and deprotonation of the phosphate (negative charge) are at a minimum.

Finallly, re to the psilocybin->psinocin conversion, we are not sure enough of how psilocybin dephosphorylates to psilocin. Incubation with strong acid at hot temperature seems to do it, or that's what anecdotal reports say. At least this is the implication of a mushroom tea with a dash of lemon that comes on faster. Or is it because the lemon tea does not dephosphorylate but instead extracts the actives, thus making it faster to come?

Mushroom extracts with strong acetic acid definitely does it, as some papers describe but again this may be due to a combination of enzymes that get extracted from mushrooms and/or the low pH. Stomach pH is low (around 2) it may dephopshorylate psilocybin; Or it may not, and psilocybin is dephosphorylated by phosphatase enzymes in the body. Or a combination of both? I may be wrong on some of my dephosphorylation assertions as it has been some time since I read articles about this issue. Please chime in if something is wrong or needs amendment!
Infundibulum attached the following image(s):
psilocybin.bmp (893kb) downloaded 575 time(s).

dreamer042
#69 Posted : 9/1/2010 4:41:50 PM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

-
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca

Infundibulum
#70 Posted : 9/1/2010 4:54:16 PM

ModeratorChemical expert

No it wouldn't work and it doesn't work. Steps 4 and 5 are the culprit as they are the most problematic ones. But the other steps are fine, even though defat is not a big issue with mushrooms. During the makign of the mushroom tea more things than just alkaloids get into the water. Notably sugars and proteins. These will be present in step 4 when one tries to re-x and will also form crystals. Many people see crystals when doing similar procedures but these crystals/precipitates are often things not psilocybin.

SWIM has tried these things and there's always far more that crash out from a hot methanol and/or ethanol crystallisation. This, or he'll have to assume that he gets yields of ~10% psilocybin crystals, which is horrendously unrealistic!

The main issue is if one can get rid of these things without getting rid of psilocybin....

dreamer042
#71 Posted : 9/1/2010 5:23:22 PM

Dreamoar

-
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Infundibulum
#72 Posted : 9/1/2010 5:30:29 PM

ModeratorChemical expert

No, proteins are often very water-soluble molecules, same goes for sugars. Defat would not be of much help here. One can make an acetone defat on dried tea, but this does nnot really remove much.

Also, what crashes out of ethanol is a mixture of psilocybin, proteins, sugars and whatnot. One step forward, one step backwards on other words.

dreamer042
#73 Posted : 9/1/2010 5:32:14 PM

Dreamoar

Ok I understand what your saying, I'll brainstorm and come back with another barrage of questions later lol.

Thanks!

azrael
#74 Posted : 9/30/2010 10:04:34 PM
DMT-Nexus member

benzyme wrote:
in the end, it's psilocin which acts centrally anyway. it's 1.4x as potent as psilocybin (by weight)
by doing a/b, one is essentially doing the same job as our phosphatase enzymes, which convert psilocybin to psilocin.

^From here.

The other thread says a/b with acetic/amonia or acetic/sodium carb should work as long as very little heat is used and the ph doesn't get too high in the latter step. It also says that fumaric acid won't be good for psilocin because it doesn't protect the molecule from oxidation and the product would degrade, which is a bummer since FASA is sooo easy. (weird since bufo has an OH group but is relatively stable and the fumarate is just fine, all because of the 4 vs 5 position ). The recommendation in that thread is to use ascorbic acid in solution with psilocin for storage to prevent oxidation.

So assuming a/b gets psilocybin => psilocin, some questions:

1. Could an a/b with FASA yield reasonably isolated psilocin fumarate? Will this salt form at all or long enough to be filtered from the solvent? The logP is damn close to dmt. It could then be freebased and stored with vit-c to avoid oxidation.

2. Is psilocin ascorbate solid? Could it be precipitated from product-rich solvent in a FASA-like fashion? (ascorbic acid dissolved in whatever solvent being used, added drop-wise to psilocin containing solvent until no more clouding appears)

FASA or some salt precipitation to isolate sounds peachy, but this is hinging off the assumption that a/b dephosphorylates.

azrael
#75 Posted : 12/2/2010 3:03:50 AM
DMT-Nexus member

fumaric acid is an antioxidant. I am such a biochem noob Embarrased

benzyme
#76 Posted : 12/2/2010 4:50:31 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

yeah you are

ascorbic acid is the commonly used antioxidant for these things, n00b.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Swarupa
#77 Posted : 1/11/2011 2:08:16 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I hope something comes of this, im getting rather obsessed with obtaining pure psilocybin...

Phlux-
#78 Posted : 1/11/2011 2:33:33 PM

The Root

Chemical expertSenior Member

got 300g dry to try this on
is it worth my while to do a comparison - would it be beneficial to the community ?
eg etoh or etoh/water vs methanol
il do it under vaccum - no sonicator tho.
antrocles wrote:
...purity of intent....purity of execution....purity of experience...

...unlike the "blind leading the blind". we are more akin to a group of blind-from-birth people who have all simultaneously been given the gift of sight but have no words or mental processing capabilites to work with this new "gift".

IT IS ONLY TO THE EXTENT THAT WE ARE WILLING TO EXPOSE OURSELVES OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO ANNIHILATION THAT WE DISCOVER THAT PART OF OURSELVES THAT IS INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Quote:
‹Jorkest› the wall is impenetrable as far as i can tell

Quote:
‹xtechre› cheese is great

He who packs ur capsules - controls your destiny.

benzyme
#79 Posted : 1/11/2011 2:43:41 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

yes

sonication is optional, but evap under reduced pressure helps resolve the product.
I guestimate psilocybin content of an anhydrous alcoholic extraction to be somewhere in the 40% area, the number is probably lower with EtOH containing water. The pictures from Crystals of The Gods is very misleading...once the product is separated from the alcohol, it is not crystalline at all.

I have yet to isolate psilocybin into pure crystals, it's very tricky. the molecule seems to bind water, proteins, and other biomolecules.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Swarupa
#80 Posted : 1/11/2011 3:36:59 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Im interested in getting into a potent tonic, not bothered about crystals, but i want it to be pure without other misc alks

«PREV23456NEXT»