We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV1234NEXT»
First Attempt At Growing Cacti Options

DansMaTete
#21 Posted : 3/30/2015 7:41:20 PM

[insert something smart/deep here]

I'm surrounded by aloe vera and i never noticed they are able do start from cutting but i know it's very easy to start from pups.

Hey, you can learn new things everyday ! Thumbs up I should try this for sake of science Smile
« I love the smell of boiling MHRB in the morning »

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Spanishfly
#22 Posted : 3/31/2015 9:50:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Aloes are not actually cacti. But they do pup readily and the pups take very easily.
Life is a shit sandwich - the more bread you got, the less shit you eat.

Gone-and-Back
#23 Posted : 4/4/2015 8:16:36 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Thought I would update this and show you all my little friends new home. He is sitting in a west facing bay window in my front room, with a small 20w veg and 20w flower bulb pointed at it from different directions.

The reason I did this is because it has been use to sitting in full light, as it was under a CFL grow light. Also, west facing windows don't give the best sunlight, so I thought I should compensate for this.

It has begun rooting more as well, about 6-8 little roots have sprouted out the bottom. Can't wait til it is fully rooted and it receives its first watering. Once it is consistently in the 60-70s I am going to place it outside, in hopes the heat will help rooting.

When it comes time to give it its first watering, is there any kind of nutrients that can be given to it to increase the growth rate or mescaline content? I know it would probably be minimal results, since cacti don't get watered a lot. But would it be good to do something like placing bone meal, or bat guano, in the top layers of the soil? I saw a bunch of cool organic ferts made from different powdered plants and stuff like that.

Anyways, here is a picture of the new set up. Any tips or advice are appreciated.

P.S. If anyone has suggestions on what to name it, speak up please as I am having a hard time coming up with a good name for the gent.
Gone-and-Back attached the following image(s):
image.jpg (1,175kb) downloaded 243 time(s).
Everything published by Gone-and-Back are the mad rantings and ravings of a mind who yearns to be free and thinks he knows what he is talking about. However, these are just delusions made to feel that freedom, because that freedom will never come. Any experiments done are purely figments of the imagination, and are falsified to the highest degree. Nothing should be taken seriously from a crazy mans mind.

pinche
#24 Posted : 4/4/2015 9:39:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

It looks like like you've got some growth going. You haven't watered yet? Any time the growing medium gets dry I water. Mine like lots of water. They are outdoors in nearly full sun though. They also like compost and organic fertilizer added a few times a year. I suppose it's not possible for you to put it outdoors in full sun? Indoors it's likely to have slow spindly growth. At any rate congrats on growing your own.

Gone-and-Back
#25 Posted : 4/4/2015 10:32:19 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanks Smile

I can place it outside, but I am waiting until the temperature is more constant. It still drops into the upper 20's at night, so I'd rather keep it inside so it doesn't get that cold.

The new growth is about two inches, and yes I have never watered it. The roots are still extremely small, only protruding maybe a half inch to and inch out the bottom of the cactus, some out the side. I feel they are too small to water it yet, and that it would just cause rot. I'll take a picture next time I check the roots, will probably be a few days.
Everything published by Gone-and-Back are the mad rantings and ravings of a mind who yearns to be free and thinks he knows what he is talking about. However, these are just delusions made to feel that freedom, because that freedom will never come. Any experiments done are purely figments of the imagination, and are falsified to the highest degree. Nothing should be taken seriously from a crazy mans mind.

Gone-and-Back
#26 Posted : 4/6/2015 3:48:21 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Here is a picture showing the roots. The bottom of the cactus has turned colors, looks kind of like rot but it is still very tough and firm. I assume this is just part of the callousing over it does during rooting?

image.jpg (1,318kb) downloaded 215 time(s).
image.jpg (1,631kb) downloaded 214 time(s).

pinche
#27 Posted : 4/6/2015 4:17:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Your right, it's not rot. Rot is obvious and you'll know it when you see it. This is just my opinion and it's worked for me when rooting a cutting. I start with a well draining medium and add some good compost on top. I then water modestly around the edges of the pot avoiding getting the cactus wet. Nutrients from the compost are leached into the bottom with the water. Add more water as the medium dries out. The frequency will depend on temp/hum and other factors, but there is no need to not water. I don't wait for root growth to start watering, I think the watering helps stimulate root growth. From my experience this works but of course you have to do what works for you.

Gone-and-Back
#28 Posted : 4/6/2015 4:29:07 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Maybe I'll give this a try if it doesn't fully root soon. The home gardening and brewing store by me has all sorts of organic ferts made from ground of plants like seaweed and stuff like that. There is one that is all nitrogen, I believe that's all the cactus needs right?

DansMaTete
#29 Posted : 4/6/2015 5:03:55 PM

[insert something smart/deep here]

If the soil is new, it doesn't need ferts. Don't forget it's difficult to take the fert out once there is too much in the soil and it's detrimental to the cactus (any plant !).

IMO, your cactus can have some water. Everybody has his own tek, mine is to water by the bottom to avoid to much humidity on the top (and limit risks of rot) and to stimulate the groth of roots in depth.

Be careful with over caring your baby, i know that by experience. It's difficult to let it alone but it's what they like Smile
« I love the smell of boiling MHRB in the morning »

pinche
#30 Posted : 4/6/2015 5:11:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Like all living things cacti need a balance of nutrients. I'm sure there are cacti specific ferts out there but I've never used them. I prefer going all organic whether it's a cactus or a tomato plant. I would stay away from nitrogen based ferts like miracle grow, they can actually "burn" plant roots. Even compost that is too hot with nitrogen can burn plants. Organic ferts work more slowly but are safer and better balanced. For all my plants I use homemade living compost. If you can't make your own store bought will work. The key is that you supply the plant with what it needs to grow: sunlight, water, and nutrients. Dead soil will yield dead plants.

Gone-and-Back
#31 Posted : 4/6/2015 5:15:50 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Well I guess I shouldn't really call them ferts, as it's just stuff like pure bat guano. I mean I guess this is a fertilizer but not in the normal sense of the word, which I imagine to be chemically made nutrients and such like miracle grow.

Any who, I'll probably try giving it a little water and see what happens. Worst case scenario I just cut off the bottom and start again once it callouses over.

I actually have another cactus I'll be added to the collection soon. I don't believe it's anything entheogenic, but my future mother in law has a big ol' cactus with multiple branches growing in her green house. She said I could take a cutting, so when I do I'll update with a picture incase anyone here knows what it is.

You all have been wonderful, thank you for all the tips and advice.

Gone-and-Back
#32 Posted : 4/10/2015 5:18:49 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Update;

Gave the cactus (named Sandy) a small amount of water without any nutrients or anything. I made sure to water in a ring around the base of the cactus, maybe half an inch to and inch away from it.

After letting it dry for a few days, I pulled Sandy out to check her roots, and there is new growth! There are about twice as many rootlets as there were before. I'm very happy for this. It looks like I'm on my way to my dream of a giant cacti garden!

I'm thinking that as soon as there is about half a foot to a foot of growth, I'm going to take a cutting and start a new cactus. I shall keep doing this every time each one has a decent amount of new growth, until I have a house full. Such magnificent plants.

D.REYx420
#33 Posted : 4/10/2015 7:27:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

cograts sir, it can be exciting growing cacti and being able to just chop them up and make moar of them lol even now that she has a bigger root system just let her sit in the dirt till you have to up pot it and still sparingly water her. After the first time I always wait awhile to water again and think it kinda makes them get a taste of it and know its there and they start to root fully once that's happened.
"we are not human being's having spiritual experiences, we are spiritual being's having human experience's." (Teilhard de Chardin (1975?)

Gone-and-Back
#34 Posted : 4/10/2015 10:30:42 PM
DMT-Nexus member

It makes sense that the water would draw out roots. I don't plan on watering it again until the soil is completely dry and has been that way for a couple weeks probably. I know that's one of the few things that can kill it.

wearepeople
#35 Posted : 4/11/2015 8:00:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

It's wonderful to see your excitement Gone-and-Back! Very happy

Be careful checking the roots so often. It's really easy to break them off.

wap

+ ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- DMT Nexus Research ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- +

Gone-and-Back
#36 Posted : 4/11/2015 6:06:01 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanks Wap,

I plan on leaving it be now. I was checking it so often because it seemed to of halted in root growth. Now that it is showing signs of lots of growth after a watering, I'm just going to let it be and water it when appropriate. I'm starting to see it will do just fine on its ownVery happy

D.REYx420
#37 Posted : 4/11/2015 7:01:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes its very cool to see your enthusiasm for the cacti Very happy
"we are not human being's having spiritual experiences, we are spiritual being's having human experience's." (Teilhard de Chardin (1975?)

Gone-and-Back
#38 Posted : 4/12/2015 10:56:36 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I have the enthusiasm for growing plants in general really. I love it.

Cacti, especially sacred ones, are more exciting to me though for the spiritual importance they have. I have always wanted to grow my own peyote, and be able to have a deep personal connection with it for when I consume some of it. However, peyote is illegal and bridgesii is not. So I must work with this medicine for now until I find a way to obtain a peyote specimen.

The true excitement is for when I get to have my first experience with these wonderful teachers though Thumbs up

P.s. The aloe cutting didn't work. It rotted. I guess aloe can't be propagated through cutings Thumbs down

pinche
#39 Posted : 4/13/2015 7:04:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

For Aloe cut a piece with root still attached and it will do well, or even just a piece of the root will work.

Gone-and-Back
#40 Posted : 4/15/2015 5:34:56 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I acquired another cutting the other day, and was wondering if anyone knew what it was? It is a montrose variation of whatever it is I believe. Picture attached.
image.jpg (1,513kb) downloaded 126 time(s).
image.jpg (1,522kb) downloaded 126 time(s).

PREV1234NEXT»