We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Save the 'left over' Salt when 'Salting Out' Harmala's Options

locojuiceman
#1 Posted : 2/26/2015 5:58:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

When I do my Rue Extractions [[ ALL THE Credit goes to 'Melodic Catastrophe's Tao of Rue Extraction Tek', here on the Nexus :https://wiki.dmt-nexus.me/The_Tao_of_Rue_Extraction ]] and I'm saturating the acidified Harmalas with Sea Salt, I save the extra Salt that doesn't dissolve and settles on the bottom of the pan, after pouring the saturated Rue Harmala solution off.
Then, I put that left over Salt aside in a glass baking dish to dry.
Then, with every upcoming Saturation, I again, keep the extra salt that settles on the bottom and just throw it in the Baking Dish with the other Salt [ to dry it out].
After a few more subsequent Extractions [ Which occurs over a couple months ] the Used Salt builds up and when it's all nice and crunchy dry, I throw it into a freezer bag.
It's VERY Fluorescent [Yellow/Green ] colored.
I would just stare at it because of it's Fluorescence; it just looked so cool.
I even tasted a good portion of some but I don't recommend that because it made Me a little Sick ~
However, This tells me there are Harmalas attached to this Salt,right?
I'll explain why I think so, in a minute..
After a couple months and having a freezer bag of 'Left Over Salt', I did another Extract with a fresh batch of Rue and used the 'Old' dried out Sea Salt for the saturation steps.
After Basing and Salting, back and forth, until I almost obtained the 'Purity' of Harmalas I desired [Usually when it becomes a very nice and bright, yellow-tannish color ] I used JUST ENOUGH of the 'Old Left Over' Salt [[Which luckily turned out to be the exact amount I needed]] so that there was NONE settling on the bottom of the pan.
It takes Patience but I just add the Salt to the Hot Solution until I can literally SEE it's saturated enough for Crystallization to occur.
It took me a while to perfect this step.
Thats why I was always getting 'Left Over' Salt, because I was adding TOO Much.
Adding too much Salt so that it all doesn't dissolve and settles on the bottom, isn't necessarily detrimental, as long as you do NOT get any in the Saturated Solution when pouring it off.
I usually use a Stainless Steel Micron Screen, which works great at keeping it seperate.
You don't want to snort regular SALT do ya? Harmala Salts sting enough as it is, ha ha haa! Thumbs up
And NOW - Back to the subject:
When I did this, the Yield came out SPECTACULAR ! It resulted in some GOLD from using the 'Old' left-over salt. The Harmalas literally came out looking like Gold.
After drying them, I had Gold Chunks of packed, tiny, needle-like crystals that looked like Gold Fiberglass!
I wish I took photos so I could share them but I have no way of doing that right now [I'm sorry Embarrased ]
While it was in Solution, the Jars were almost completely filled to the top with needles and shards, all clumped together in the shape of big fluffed out cotton balls!
I had used a good sized pickle jar, too! I almost didn't want to filter them because they looked so Beautiful.
I wonder why they look White in the Jar but when you Filter them, they are a Dark Brown [ Thats the first Salting/Basing ] , then they get lighter and lighter when going back to base, then back to a salt,etc.,etc.
Someday I'm going to keep going to see how light they get but it takes a lot of time, patience and base/sea salt, which of course, cost money.
I haven't tried separating the Harmalas with the different Ph levels yet. I just base them all out at the same time instead.
I still have some of these Gold Harmalas. I obtained nearly 20 grams from One Quarter Pound of Syrian Rue, using the Left Over Salt.
With Fresh Salt, the Yield is not as high so I think that there is definitely Harmalas clinging to the 'left over' Sea Salt and they come out when the 'Left Over' Salt is used.
I came up with all of this by accident Shocked
I was always putting too much Salt in the Acidified Harmala Solution and I was getting sick of going through so much Salt, so, I thought of reusing the extra Salt that was left behind on the bottom of the pan and began saving it.
Nowadays, after performing Rue extracts so many times, I can tell by eye when enough Salt is added, so, I doubt I will do this again because really, there is no need.
I'm sure I could get it down to where I get it perfect and get all the alkaloids out of the Extract by the time I'm finished.
Thats probably the reason why My Yields weren't as high before [ But still pretty good ] because some Harmalas were in the 'Left Over' Salt and by reusing it, I simply put them back and they came out, like they were meant to in the first place,lol!
It's just something I wanted to share with you all because I think that if I was doing this [ Adding too much Salt because of inexperience ], that someone else had to be having the same 'problem'.
It's a Learning Process for sure.
So, if you have Salt left over on the bottom of your pan after Salting the Harmalas out, I recommend saving it all and drying it out, then bagging it to reuse for the next time.
Or you could just reuse it that same night/day, that you're doing your extract [ I just thought of that, DUHH! Laughing ]
Let the LEft Over Salt build up after each new Rue extract project, if you want, like I did, until you have a whole Freezer Bags Worth,Ha ha haa!
So, when you get it down to where you KNOW from experience [ For me I can tell simply by looking at it now, after doing it so many times] that you added enough Salt and no Salt is left on the bottom, then for your next Rue extract project, go back and get that 'Left Over' Salt you've got and Use it instead of Fresh Salt.
I have the Feeling you'll be Surprised and in Wonder, just like I was!
Gollld-uh !! Golllldd-uh! That thar be GOLD !! Very happy
And let Me TELL You Guys and Gals ...When Using this 'Gold' in Myy 'Journeys'? OMG !! OMF'ingG !! Everything had a GOLD 'Tint' to it! Or, more precisely, a 'Golden Fluorescent Aura' ~ And, the only way I could explain the 'Air' was that it was a Golden Haze! Unbelievable! But...AWESOME too!
Take Care Everyone, thanks for reading this Experience Smile
All Comments and Feedback are VERY Welcome
Peace and Blessing to You All
Bye
Everything I say here happened in My own Imagination. The more fantastic it sounds, the more you can count on it being in the realm of Dreams,

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

DeltaSpice
#2 Posted : 2/26/2015 6:09:44 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Do you mean like this?
DeltaSpice attached the following image(s):
IMAG0029.jpg (1,368kb) downloaded 157 time(s).

locojuiceman
#3 Posted : 2/26/2015 6:42:45 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Those ARE beautiful shards but ... maaaan I wish I could have taken a photo .....
were like Cotton Balls in their size, round clumps and almost filled all the way to the top!
Those ARE nice shards ya got there though, Nice Job ! Smile
Everything I say here happened in My own Imagination. The more fantastic it sounds, the more you can count on it being in the realm of Dreams,

DeltaSpice
#4 Posted : 2/26/2015 6:44:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Do you mean more like this?
DeltaSpice attached the following image(s):
IMAG0299.jpg (535kb) downloaded 133 time(s).

locojuiceman
#5 Posted : 4/29/2015 4:21:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

DeltaSpice - YES! Exactly ! Beautiful Stuff, isn't it?

Jees
#6 Posted : 4/29/2015 4:58:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

locojuiceman wrote:
... and I'm saturating the acidified Harmalas with Sea Salt, I save the extra Salt that doesn't dissolve and settles on the bottom of the pan, after pouring the saturated Rue Harmala solution off....

Is it salt that doesn't dissolve? I doubt. Even when you dissolve 15 grams non iodized kitchen salt (would sea salt be more pure?) in 100 ml water, far below full saturation, you will get stuff at the bottom of your pan, which is, I suspect no salt. I would not ingest that, and you got little sick right?

When the salted solution is still very hot, poor it trough a coffee filter and what you catch is really dirty, listen to it carefully and it screams to be discarded IMO, despite a cute fluorescent dress. Already the slightest trace of harmalas makes fluo, it doesn't mean it can give you a useful dose.

Happy experiments!
Wink

PS: how can you SEE adding the perfect amount salt please? For now I use a scale for that.

locojuiceman
#7 Posted : 7/1/2015 7:10:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Jees wrote:
[quote=locojuiceman]
Is it salt that doesn't dissolve? I doubt. Even when you dissolve 15 grams non iodized kitchen salt (would sea salt be more pure?) in 100 ml water, far below full saturation, you will get stuff at the bottom of your pan, which is, I suspect no salt. I would not ingest that, and you got little sick right?
When the salted solution is still very hot, poor it trough a coffee filter and what you catch is really dirty, listen to it carefully and it screams to be discarded IMO, despite a cute fluorescent dress. Already the slightest trace of harmalas makes fluo, it doesn't mean it can give you a useful dose.'''
PS: how can you SEE adding the perfect amount salt please? For now I use a scale for that.

I add more salt than you really need to ensure full saturation and to the point where the water cannot dissolve it anymore. This will leave the salt that didn't dissolve, on the bottom and I save that salt after pouring of the Acidified-Rue-Water
Then, I dry and save that salt.
And after a few times extracting rue and saving the salt, I reuse that salt and add that instead of new salt and I make sure to use all or most of it so that the Acidified Rue Extract is saturated with it to it's fullest capacity.
I always add salt slowly until it does not dissolve any more of it - The only reason I found this method, if you can call it that, is because On my first few extractions I then always added too much salt and would have a ton of it on the bottom after I drained the pot - It gets easier after doing it a bunch of times and now I can tell just by looking at it if I added enough salt, instead of having a lot of it left on the bottom. But, at the same time, I keep adding salt little by little until I see it with my own two eyes begin to settle on the bottom of the HOT pan. Thats a good indication but make sure to keeop that salt out of the crystallization jar - I use cotton balls instead of a filter. If I DO use filters, I use a stainless steel 35 micron sized kind
When the salt no longer dissolves and settles to the bottom instead, you know thats enough.
Thats when I get the 'cotton ball size and shaped' crystal formations that fill the jar to the top. And they are beautiful and quite potent. I still have a lot left from that last batch using the left over salt - It came out looking like Gold after drying.
I use Sea Salt. And it IS salt after using it and it being 'left over'. Taste it, you'll see, it tastes like Salt and like rue BIG time ~ I've actually tasted a bit too much and felt a little nauseous, yes, but the same thing happens even with plain harmalas in my experience - - just so you know
Happy Travelin' too You too Cool

FLeP
#8 Posted : 7/2/2015 7:57:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Jees, in my extraction I found that you can see the harmalas precipitate out once you have stirred in enough salt. I heated my solution and slowly stirred in salt until I saw what looked like a big cloud of salt bloom from the bottom of the pot. It wasn't salt, it was the alks. I performed my last three Manskes this way.

Jees
#9 Posted : 7/3/2015 9:06:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I understand to go for full salt saturation on first manskes (maximizing yield) but I won't do that for the last manske because of avoiding salt tasting needles. It wont hurt in any way but it's just salt contamination of the end dry product, also affecting yield determination to whatever degree. No big game really. I find 15gr/100ml somewhat the borderline where needles start to taste salty.

FLeP
#10 Posted : 7/4/2015 5:18:15 AM

DMT-Nexus member

edit- nevermind