We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Acacia simplex Options

BundleflowerPower
#1 Posted : 1/29/2015 11:21:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I recently obtained some A. Simplex seeds and just planted 2 of them in peet pots. I read in another thread here that it grows in sandy soil on the beach. Is this the only type of soil it prefers? I don't have many seeds so I don't want to blow it. I was hoping someone else might be growing this plant who could share some tips.

On a related note, according to the literature, this tree contains beta carbolines as well as tryptamines. Has anyone made a brew using simplex? Could it be orally active without a harmala plant?

http://www.lycaeum.org//~mulga/acacia/simphy.html

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

pinkoyd
#2 Posted : 1/30/2015 2:38:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Extraordinary knowledgeSenior Member

Plants are adaptable to greater or lesser degrees, so I wouldn't fret too much about making and exact match to native habitat. Good enough is probably good enough. I have one that is in normal potting soil amended with extra perlite. It's doing fine.

I heard a report of someone who regularly and successfully uses simplex pods as their RIMA, and I am submitting some for testing. Someone will post results here somewhere, whether it's me, Snozz or endless.
I already asked Alice.

BundleflowerPower
#3 Posted : 1/30/2015 4:04:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks. Yeah that's kinda the holy grail for me, force and light in one plant.

I agree about good enough being good enough. I tend to grow all my potted plants in miracle grow potting mix, or just plant them straight into the ground.

Chimp Z
#4 Posted : 2/1/2015 7:08:11 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes, Acacia Simplicifolia(Simplex) will do fine in pretty much any soil if it is kept moist during the germination process and if you have scarified your seeds.
I scooped up poor soil from a rough neighborhood that never gets landscaped or tended to and planted a variety of seeds in it(Desmanthus, Acacia, Caesalpinia, Turnera, Campsis, etc.) and the only ones that had trouble were Acacia Caroleae.

A. Simplicifolia taught me patience and grace in a murky part of last year. Great plant. Definitely think it is active on its own. Take my experience report and develop your own synopsis. Does it seem active based on subjective effects?
I am told(and literature clarifies) that harmala content in Passiflora Incarnata would not fully inhibit monoamine oxidase in the dosage that I took, though flavonoids in both genus are largely unstudied in humans.

https://www.dmt-nexus.me...;t=55986&find=unread

Best of luck with this magical coast dweller Smile

--Shadow
#5 Posted : 2/2/2015 4:46:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

3 parts native potting mix
1 part river sand

I use this mix for ALL my Acacia's with very good results. I add a little bit of osmocote for seedlings (even thou it has been recommended to use a soil with low nitrogen levels - as rhyzobium bacteria provide this once established)

I have had success growing A.Simplicifolia (simplex) and A.Sophorae (both are native to coastal sand areas)
Throughout recorded time and long before, trees have stood as sentinels, wise yet silent, patiently accumulating their rings while the storms of history have raged around them --The living wisdom of trees, Fred Hageneder

BundleflowerPower
#6 Posted : 2/2/2015 12:32:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks, no shortage of river sand here, the Mississippi is about 5 blocks away. Hopefully the sand isn't contaminated, this is the largest tonnage port in the world and a large refining center. Probly the whole area is tainted so it doesn't matter.

Btw, I had success germinating acacia confusa in dirt that I got from the woods. Theses woods are what's known as modified wetlands.
This is cypress-tupalo swamp which was drained around 1950 but is still forested. the soil is entirely organic matter, no sand or clay at all. Basically it's just decomposed leaf litter.

--Shadow
#7 Posted : 2/16/2015 6:37:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Acacia simplex does not do well in windy conditions.

I thought being from a sandy coastal area, they would be tolerant of wind (like my Acacia sophorae - see pics)

However, I put them out in the sun for a day and when I got home, the stem was almost snapped. I put them back under lights but they dies shortly after.
Throughout recorded time and long before, trees have stood as sentinels, wise yet silent, patiently accumulating their rings while the storms of history have raged around them --The living wisdom of trees, Fred Hageneder

Jin
#8 Posted : 2/16/2015 3:31:27 PM

yes

Chimp Z wrote:
Yes, Acacia Simplicifolia(Simplex) will do fine in pretty much any soil if it is kept moist during the germination process and if you have scarified your seeds

where to scarify, the seeds are totally round ?
(generally the pointy end is scarified right ? like for mimosa and such)

also is it necessary to keep them in boiling water ?

@shadow - does the 10 day once again 20 min boiling water treatment work for simplex , if it does not germinate or is that for acuminata only

thank you

illusions !, there are no illusions
there is only that which is the truth

nen888
#9 Posted : 2/17/2015 2:09:39 PM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

..Jin Smile , hi..

a common 'scarification' method with acacia seeds is to simply file down part of the hard outer coat with a nail file, until reaching the softer layer..then soak in cold water for a day, and place in a sprouting soft moisture retaining sprouting medium (e.g. tissue paper)

i have not sprouted A. simplex seeds (would like to) so i don't know how the hot water method that suits australian and some african acacias works for it..for most species i would place the seed in water and bring to a boil over 10 minutes..then leave soaking in the water overnight, then place in sprouting medium..

in both cases allow up to a few weeks (average 1-2 weeks) for sprouting to begin..

and thank you BundleflowerPower for a good topic..!

BundleflowerPower
#10 Posted : 2/17/2015 8:27:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

No problem. I'm really enjoying growing acacias this year. There still little seedlings but I have quite a variety going.
BundleflowerPower attached the following image(s):
image.jpg (1,514kb) downloaded 260 time(s).

--Shadow
#11 Posted : 3/3/2015 6:02:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Jin wrote:

where to scarify, the seeds are totally round ?
(generally the pointy end is scarified right ? like for mimosa and such)
also is it necessary to keep them in boiling water ?
@shadow - does the 10 day once again 20 min boiling water treatment work for simplex , if it does not germinate or is that for acuminata only
thank you

Here's my process I have ended up following:

1) Place seeds in boiled water to sit in water until swollen. (I have left seed submersed for several days before they swell. Just need to change the water daily so it doesn't get mold)

2) I NEVER scarify seed before hot water treatment. I find some seeds are too damn hard to penetrate with a razor, and they are quite hard to hold a tiny seed while rubbing sandpaper against it.
I only scarify seed once it has been submersed for at least 24-48 hrs (and haven't swollen and sprouted by themselves after 2 weeks), and I use a razor blade to shave away the top of the seed (where the aril meets). I have had surprisingly EXCELLENT success with this method. I even had some rare seed swell, then after several weeks... nothing!. I buried some in soil, but they never sprouted. Then I scarified one remaining seed with a razon blade and it sprouted within a day or two (and growing quite well now)

Here is a pic of some Acacia maidenii seed I scarified after they swelled but never sprouted. They are all growing well now.
--Shadow attached the following image(s):
maidenni-seed.jpg (127kb) downloaded 241 time(s).

BundleflowerPower
#12 Posted : 3/11/2015 3:35:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I've noticed that once they germinate, acacia madenii are really tough little seedlings, the other day mine got soaked by monsoon type rain with no ill effects and they're only an inch or 2 tall.