We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
TLC plates & trace impurities from extraction Options

concombres
#1 Posted : 1/25/2015 9:16:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Is it possible to use TLC plates to test for plasticizers, sodium hydroxide, sodium acetate, MgSO4, sodium carbonate, solvent traces etc.?

I'm very careful about extraction & cleanup but i'd really like to have a better idea of exactly how pure the spice i have is & work towards further removal of anything aside from dmt.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

endlessness
#2 Posted : 1/25/2015 9:30:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Potentially plasticizers depending on concentration, yes. But you could anyways pre-emptively clean it well so as to prevent any such problems. Check this for more info: https://www.dmt-nexus.me...aspx?g=posts&t=26324

TLC wont work for sodium hydroxide/sodiumacetate/carbonate etc though . But that's easy enough to check for if in significant quantities . For example, if you heat up some of your product, alkaloids will generally melt and vaporize quite quickly, while none of those bases/salts will melt at lighter temperatures. Also if you wash your product with water it should remove any of those too (only wash non water-soluble freebase substances though)

As for solvent, TLC will generally not work for that, but again, you can always use clean solvents in the first place and for example redissolve with acetone or ethanol or some other less toxic clean evapping solvent and let it dry again, which will help removing any traces of other solvents you used before.

TLC will be more appropriate for testing for other alkaloids/active products (for example testing new plants looking for tryptamines of interest), or if you want to confirm the identity of a substance, or if you want to know what are the substances in a mixture (and possibly their relative concentration )

concombres
#3 Posted : 1/25/2015 9:59:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Big grin
That puts my mind at ease.
Water wash on freebase i normally already do a couple times, as well as re-a/b.

My acetone during FASA seems to be warping the rubber on my jar lids even without splashing up or touching it & i don't want that in my end product.

I'll be sure to follow the advice in the thread & here, washing thouroughly with water 3x, mini a/b & then wash with dry acetone 3x in a glass flask with a glass stopper.

There may be some limonene traces but from reading a little bit that shouldn't end up in my spice.