We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Salvia extraction question Options

urtica
#1 Posted : 1/6/2015 5:35:15 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I am doing a salvia extraction using 95% EtOH instead of IPA or Acetone.

I am wondering if I could remove the fats & chlorophyll by floating naptha on top of the EtOH & shaking, then letting it separate.

It seems that naptha is slightly miscible with ethanol, so I would not use the cleaned extract as a tincture, but I could evaporate off all the solvent and then put the powder back into solution for a concentrated tincture for sublingual use.

Yes? Does this make sense?

Thanks!
urtica is a fictional character. nothing written by this fictional character has anything to do with reality. if urtica was real, and performing any activities that are restricted by certain governmental forces, these activities would be performed in Heaven where nothing is true & everything is permitted.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

starway6
#2 Posted : 1/6/2015 5:59:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I would use grain alcohol to make a salvia
tincture..

Chan
#3 Posted : 1/6/2015 9:04:59 AM

Another Leaf on the Vine

Hi, I just made excellent tincture using this method.

For sublingual use, I really wouldn't get too concerned about cleaning it: full-spectrum extracts are generally believed to be far more effective than pure salvinorin, as the extras are believed to increase solubility and bioavailability.

I'd also abandon any hope of making a "concentrated tincture" unless you're prepared to use acetone as the vehicle, which I would not recommend. As the linked article shows, even in 95% Ethanol, salvinorin has relatively poor solubility, ~ 1.3mg/ml, and a light dose is therefore 2-3 ml of 95% ethanol. This cannot go anywhere near your oral mucosa as is! It will burn like hell, and probably ulcerate & strip tissue while you're waiting to blast off. I dilute my 95% tincture with 2 parts hot water, so actual ABV is closer to 32% and that is bearable, but with the heat, I wouldn't like it any stronger.

The limited solubility is actually useful to measure your salvinorin indirectly. When you add the dried green goo to minimal ethanol, the wax & chlorophylls dissolve instantly, leaving a fine, whitish sediment at the bottom of your pale green solution. That is your salvinorin. By adding ethanol dropwise until that just dissolves, you know you have a pretty well-saturated solution, and if you record the quantity used you can calculate how much you had. E.g. if it takes 100 ml of 95% ethanol to dissolve completely, you likely had about 130mg salvinorin in there to begin with.
“I sometimes marvel at how far I’ve come - blissful, even, in the knowledge that I am slowly becoming a well-evolved human being - only to have the illusion shattered by an episode of bad behaviour that contradicts the new and reinforces the old. At these junctures of self-reflection, I ask the question: “are all my years of hard work unraveling before my eyes, or am I just having an episode?” For the sake of personal growth and the pursuit of equanimity, I choose the latter and accept that, on this journey of evolution, I may not encounter just one bad day, but a group of many.”
― B.G. Bowers

downwardsfromzero
#4 Posted : 1/6/2015 10:11:31 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

There's a few salvinorin extraction threads around here; best one I recall points out that the salvinorin occurs on the outside of the leaves (in capitate glandular trichomes) so you can actually just rinse the whole dried leaf a few times with ice cold anhydrous acetone to get a very pure product after minimal cleanup. BUT don't work with pure crystalline salvinorin a, it's far too potent!

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

starway6
#5 Posted : 1/7/2015 1:33:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Most oral salvia tincture reports claim it doesnt work that well?

....[[What kind of experiance have you people had using oral tincture?Wut? !!!??....

Im trying to make some salvia extract tincture by .[[extracting the extract]].. from my 40x and 20x and 60x and suspend it in grain alcohol...[for posible sublingual use]..[because smoking itis often too intense].. [if this is posible]?

The first mini test i messed up because i filtered my alcohol pull through a coffie filter..

I think the salvorian A did not pass through the fine coffie filter...because after filtering and evaporation ..the stuff i scraped up i tryed to vape and it didnt do anything?!

And i know the 20x was very potent if smoked..

I think sublingual might work best if the tincture is very potent...

urtica
#6 Posted : 1/7/2015 6:07:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'll let you know, mine should be done today or tomorrow. Smoking is also too intense for me and I am not sure that the plant likes that method of ingestion.
urtica is a fictional character. nothing written by this fictional character has anything to do with reality. if urtica was real, and performing any activities that are restricted by certain governmental forces, these activities would be performed in Heaven where nothing is true & everything is permitted.

starway6
#7 Posted : 1/7/2015 11:31:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

If you do make a oral tincture make it potent it should work better...

starway6
#8 Posted : 1/8/2015 12:31:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Oh.. if you are using alcohol to extract salvia..use [Ever clear] ..190 proof grain alcohol!
The lower volumes of alcohol wont do the job right...too much water in them.. and salvorian A wont desolve in water...
hop this helps..

mad_banshee
#9 Posted : 1/10/2015 3:40:06 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I've work with salvia divinorum quite a bit.
So what I discovered is that tincture didn't work for me. Perhaps I'm not very sensitive to it. 5x extract smoaked was my first breakthru experience, but I've opted for 20 or 25x as less smoke is required into lungs for full on experience.
Some report that growing your own and smoking just the leaf is all that is required so your mileage may vary.
Quidding is another method that never worked for me. Thats where you take salvia leaf and roll it up and place it in your cheek for a while.
Funny how saliva was all the rage a few years ago. There was even a salvia forum that is long gone.
Peace

Mad Banshee

Note that the poster of this message would never actually use or recommend to use illegal substances. He is just an attention seeker and should be considered to be lying about everything he posts and his posts are only for the sake of generating discussion.

starway6
#10 Posted : 1/10/2015 4:33:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

mad_banshee wrote:
I've work with salvia divinorum quite a bit.
So what I discovered is that tincture didn't work for me. Perhaps I'm not very sensitive to it. 5x extract smoaked was my first breakthru experience, but I've opted for 20 or 25x as less smoke is required into lungs for full on experience.
Some report that growing your own and smoking just the leaf is all that is required so your mileage may vary.
Quidding is another method that never worked for me. Thats where you take salvia leaf and roll it up and place it in your cheek for a while.
Funny how saliva was all the rage a few years ago. There was even a salvia forum that is long gone.

Dont underestimate salvia divinorum !!..
I think the reason that salvia isnt talked about much ..is that she takes you further and deeper inside where it harder to make sense of the experiance because it can connect you to your beginning..and beginnings of past ancesters!

Salvia D.. may seem less enjoyable.. but she is a serious journey inside ones self ..

I find lighter doses of salvia to be more enjoyable and easier to navagate and understand than heavy doses that can just overwhelm the subject.

Rercently..I even got this crazy idea on one light salvia trip.. that the reason she isnt talked about much on nexus is ...because in reality .. she is being protected by those of us who know of her awesome power to shatter the protective filters in our minds and alow for a deeper journey inside where its harder to relate or make sense of the brains symbolic language and it isnt always easy to understand an ancient language older than time itself..

Im shure Dmt is a fun roller coaster ride with its own lever of wisdoms but salvia although simmilar is a very diferent and serious experiance i think..

I really like the beautyfull imagry that dmt offers it can be a ride of of intense joy for many..
crazy as it sounds Rolling eyes ...
It almost seems that DMT is protecting the shepardes by keeping her safley in the shadows for only those who dare to feel her embrace..Big grin
just my imagination..

Doc Buxin
#11 Posted : 3/31/2015 12:22:47 AM

Pay No Mind

mad_banshee wrote:
...Some report that growing your own and smoking just the leaf is all that is required...

Funny that you mention that banshee, because this last Friday night, after having not partaken of Salvia divinorum for nearly 13 years, I pulled out a bag full of dried leaf that I had grown myself well over a decade ago that happened to be stashed in my sacred stash box.

I thought to myself, "let's see how potent this stuff still is after all these many years"...

Well, I packed a several-gram bowl into my sacred pipe & smoked it down quickly, holding each inhalation for quite a long time relatively.

It blew my mind just like it used to.

First I was train running down psychedelic tracks; then the tracks started to have big block letters in red & yellow between the railroad ties.

Then, I was a folding aligator; folding in upon myself over & over & over ad nauseum.

Then I was down & smiling to myself thinking, "holy crap, this stuff is still that potent after almost a decade & a half? WTF?" Shocked

Freedom's so hard
When we are all bound by laws
Etched in the scheme of nature's own hand
Unseen by all those who fail
In their pursuit of fate