We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
cold tolerate... just wow Options

Father Time
#1 Posted : 12/17/2014 7:41:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi everyone,

So apparently Sally D is perfectly fine with sub zero temperatures.... one of the little ladies that was forgotten outside a few months ago and was found to be having a great time dealing with the Temps. The temps have been from 39* F all the way down to 5*F the last few months up here in the far norther hemisphere.

This was rather strange to me so I figured I'd share.
Smile
anything posted buy this account is 100% fiction

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Father Time
#2 Posted : 12/17/2014 7:50:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Looks like this

Wax
#3 Posted : 12/18/2014 2:29:33 AM

LUVR

Wow! Thats amazing. Makes one curious about growing an outdoor plant up here...

How long has it been outside? Also has it been watered or rained on? Though it looks like it would stay moist for a long time with that big pot and plastic liner.
'Little spider weaves a wispy web, stumblin' through the woods it catches to my head. She crawls behind my ear and whispers secrets. Dragonfly whiz by and sings now teach it.'

dreamer042
#4 Posted : 12/18/2014 2:43:56 AM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

I'm curious what strain/variety that is? I've had lots of la fuerza clones die when I've left them out in even moderately cold > freezing temps. I'm quite surprised to see a salvia alive after extensive exposure to freezing temps. I want a clone of that strain. Cool
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca

Nathanial.Dread
#5 Posted : 12/18/2014 3:24:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Wow, I am *shocked.*

It may be time to to take a cutting from my salvia to see what it can survive.

Blessings
~ND
"There are many paths up the same mountain."

downwardsfromzero
#6 Posted : 12/18/2014 3:40:52 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

I'd give that a shot myself, if I had a plant or two...

There are reports of established Salvia divinorum plants surviving severe freezing of the stems, shooting from the rootstock after the stems and foliage have been reduced to a mush.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Father Time
#7 Posted : 12/18/2014 8:26:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

It 's been outside since may, it just never died back when the other plants did which was strange, at that point it was set in the corner and forgot about. It Was hit with rain, fog, mist, sleet and snow so it got watered by nature periodically. It just never ended up dying although the leaves did curl a small amount like in the pic but it's been like that for some time since It got cold.

gibran2
#8 Posted : 12/18/2014 1:06:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expertSenior Member

Salvia divinorum is NOT fine with sub-zero temperatures.
An outdoor plant has its own micro-climate, depending on where it is located, and the temperatures it experiences may not be the same as reported outdoor temperatures.

Here’s a test: Take your salvia plant and put it in your freezer for 24 hours.
If it’s still alive after that, I’ll eat my hat (and my salvia).
gibran2 is a fictional character. Any resemblance to anyone living or dead is purely coincidental.

Father Time
#9 Posted : 12/18/2014 4:17:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

gibran2 wrote:
Salvia divinorum is NOT fine with sub-zero temperatures.
An outdoor plant has its own micro-climate, depending on where it is located, and the temperatures it experiences may not be the same as reported outdoor temperatures.

Here’s a test: Take your salvia plant and put it in your freezer for 24 hours.
If it’s still alive after that, I’ll eat my hat (and my salvia).

I thought the same but it's been going alright out there to my amazement, my guess is the large amount of soil in the pot is what's saving the plant... also tell us more about these micro climates if you would.

There are a bunch of stems with root system from plants that have been cut down scattered around outside, ill track some down and see if they are still alive by any chance. If one is still good I'll shove it in the freezer.

Cognitive Heart
#10 Posted : 12/18/2014 9:30:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes, it is strange and quite fortunate to have survived that climate.. salvia originating from Oaxaca, it is surprising. However, I would not be surprised if that specimen has zero diterpenoid content, unless you are able to revive it, than it may produce.. but even then, I have never grown salvia myself yet, so my experience is limited.

Good luck! Smile
'What's going to happen?' 'Something wonderful.'

Skip the manual, now, where's the master switch?

We are interstellar stardust, the re-dox co-factors of existence. Serve the sacred laws of the universe before your time comes to an end. Oh yes, you shall be rewarded.

gibran2
#11 Posted : 12/19/2014 2:10:44 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expertSenior Member

Father Time wrote:
I thought the same but it's been going alright out there to my amazement, my guess is the large amount of soil in the pot is what's saving the plant... also tell us more about these micro climates if you would.

Many things can affect the temperature in the vicinity of a plant: If it’s growing close to a building with a southern exposure, or if it’s partially covered with dead leaves or mulch, or has many neighboring plants around it – all of these things and more can help to keep it warm when the temperature drops.
gibran2 is a fictional character. Any resemblance to anyone living or dead is purely coincidental.

Father Time
#12 Posted : 12/19/2014 9:21:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ahh that's makes sense thanks for the explanation Smile you learn something new everyday !! I'm still impressed none the less

Here are two more that had leaves harvest and we're tossed into the garden months ago still doing ok even in the snow

MaNoMaNoM
#13 Posted : 12/20/2014 2:55:11 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Crying or very sad Just wish i could save her and give lots of warm love!
*ALL WAYS WITH LOVE

Father Time
#14 Posted : 1/14/2015 10:52:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Reporting back with a follow up, after some recent freezing rain miss Sally met her demise. I'm still very impressed with the length of time she survived in those conditions.

pinkoyd
#15 Posted : 1/28/2015 2:09:46 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Extraordinary knowledgeSenior Member

Father Time wrote:
Here are two more that had leaves harvest and we're tossed into the garden months ago still doing ok even in the snow

Am I reading this right? You harvested some leaves and then threw the plants out? They'll sprout new leaves you know...

Sorry if I'm misinterpreting or if I just missed something. It just seems kind of odd to toss obviously well-rooted plants.
I already asked Alice.

Father Time
#16 Posted : 1/31/2015 5:29:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

pinkoyd wrote:
Father Time wrote:

Am I reading this right? You harvested some leaves and then threw the plants out? They'll sprout new leaves you know...

Sorry if I'm misinterpreting or if I just missed something. It just seems kind of odd to toss obviously well-rooted plants.

No the entire plant was harvested for cuttings on almost all of the plants except like 2 at which point there was no room left. Young plants grow much more rapidly & the mothers just stop at a certain height and never regain that vigor especially after taking cuttings at least in my experience.