We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV34567NEXT»
music that gets you through life.. Options

VisualDistortion
#81 Posted : 10/4/2009 7:24:35 AM

DMT-Nexus member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ1Dqq0RjdE

Pink Floyd is pretty cliche'd in the realm of pychedelia, but I don't care. They have always but able to float me through rough times. For the longest time since I was a young kid I always felt like they were able to take the things I thought and felt and translate it perfectly into music. I had always felt like I was going insane and on the outside of society looking in, and Floyd capture that perfectly for me. Now I no longer feel that, but Floyd still has the power to move me emotionally.
You lock the door, and throw away the key

There's someone in my head but it's not me

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

cellux
#82 Posted : 10/5/2009 11:04:25 AM

DMT-Nexus member

What I very much appreciate in the Pink Floyd is that they surely went VERY far in psychedelia, most likely experienced everything I've ever dreamed about "out there". They were truly filled with the ecstasy of rapture, they knew revelation first-hand and still, after all these years, they had to face the stark reality that all those dreams were just that: dreams (or possibly not, but who knows). This sobering experience made them soooo much more real and wiser than most everyone else on the psychedelic scene, that it's simply incomparable. They are human beings who went to conquer the highest mountains in their youth and recognized the true worth of everything.

The sadness of this is unbelievably well expressed in their song 'High Hopes':
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqvcmud3LFQ

VisualDistortion
#83 Posted : 10/5/2009 6:39:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

cellux wrote:
What I very much appreciate in the Pink Floyd is that they surely went VERY far in psychedelia, most likely experienced everything I've ever dreamed about "out there". They were truly filled with the ecstasy of rapture, they knew revelation first-hand and still, after all these years, they had to face the stark reality that all those dreams were just that: dreams (or possibly not, but who knows). This sobering experience made them soooo much more real and wiser than most everyone else on the psychedelic scene, that it's simply incomparable. They are human beings who went to conquer the highest mountains in their youth and recognized the true worth of everything.

The sadness of this is unbelievably well expressed in their song 'High Hopes':
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqvcmud3LFQ

I watched a documentary the other day about Pink Floyd and what happened with Syd Barret. Syd was the only one who got really far into it. After he lost his mind the band pretty much quit their "psychedelic diddling". I believe that is what he said. Also, I always felt that the song "money" was about lifestyle obsession, but low and behold, Pink Floyd wrote that song because at that time they were still hell bent on becoming "rich and famous rockstars". I really don't think the post syd barrett line up went that far into psychedelics, but syd definately influenced their music. I don't think they also had the idea of grandure that many of us have, about peaceful money free societies. They motivations were on line with that of an Eddie Van Halen, they just wanted to be rockstars. Although Pink Floyd made music that I feel was better, more inspired, and definately more emotionally moving that Van Halen.

cellux
#84 Posted : 10/6/2009 12:14:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Excuse me, was the Ummagumma album done with Barrett or after he left the band?

That album is one of the most psychedelic pieces of music I've ever heard. I find the progression of tracks on the live album (Astronomy Domine - Careful with that Axe, Eugene - Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun - A Saucerful of Secrets) a perfect embodiment of everything I really care about. If that is not psychedelic then nothing is. And Gilmore once said in an interview - possibly he was in a bad mood that day - that he considers nearly all of their albums to be "crap", with the possible exception of Ummagumma - with that one they may have really caught something. Watching the Live at Pompeii documentary also made me feel that they were seriously into it. They were just not on this Earth at that time.

VisualDistortion
#85 Posted : 10/6/2009 5:55:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm not trying to argue anything with you. I said they were influenced by Syd even after he was gone, but they really did pretty much quit psychedelics after Syd was gone from the band. But that doesn't mean that they can't write psychedelic styled or influenced music.

cellux
#86 Posted : 10/7/2009 8:11:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

OK, it's all fine. Smile

I just got a bit worked up because you wrote that "they just wanted to be rockstars" and I could not fathom how this could be, witnessing their monumental works of art. If that is really so (they said it), I can't help but making a twist: they said it because they don't want to be put by others into the role of messiah or whatever. (Frank Zappa's "We Are Only In It For The Money" or U2's attempts at self-irony also come to mind at this point.)

۩
#87 Posted : 10/9/2009 11:12:58 PM

cellux
#88 Posted : 10/12/2009 8:35:25 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Spiced
#89 Posted : 10/18/2009 6:25:31 PM

Terra Incognita

Labels that produce good ambient music like , Interchill, Dakini, Ultimae, compilations like Fahrenheit Project, Floating Point, Ambient Meditaions, artists like Asura, Mantaray, Kaya Project, Puff Dragon, Adham Shaikh, Aes Dana, etc. etc. etc. those make me very happy and calm me down a lot, they are also amazing tour guides when travelling. Razz

Besides that all music can be good at the proper time, good old school goa, Reggae,good Hip/Trip Hop, Dub, Psychedelic Music, Fusion, Ska, Soul, Jazz, Funk, Space Rock, Classic Rock, Beatless Ambient, Classical, Lounge, World Music etc.

I love music, i think i need music to be able to survive more or less sane Very happy , it calms my mind and drives my emotions when i need it.

I'm totally addicted to this perfectly legal mind altering drug.
I'm wondering when some government decides to ban it and try to control it.

Oh waith North Korea already did that. Rolling eyes

jamie
#90 Posted : 10/23/2009 4:18:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

http://www.youtube.com/w...6-70&feature=related

Love this...becasue we are all one.
Long live the unwoke.

soulfood
#91 Posted : 10/23/2009 4:38:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

That's already a shpongle calssic as far as I'm concerned, even before it's released Smile

gosvami
#92 Posted : 10/25/2009 12:56:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

tryptographer
#93 Posted : 10/26/2009 1:00:46 AM

tryptamine photographer

Discovered this jewel a few weeks ago. A very old recording of Zia Mohiuddin Dagar on the Rudra Veena, 7 parts.
For the classical Indian music lovers, Raag Yaman, only the Alap:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VuiFLaktWs

soulfood
#94 Posted : 10/26/2009 4:39:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

tryptographer wrote:
Discovered this jewel a few weeks ago. A very old recording of Zia Mohiuddin Dagar on the Rudra Veena, 7 parts.
For the classical Indian music lovers, Raag Yaman, only the Alap:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VuiFLaktWs

Seriously the guys over in india put western classical music to shame and this is no exception. Cheers Smile

Though I do like me a bit of western/eastern fusion and no one does it better than prem joshua and his associates.

This is without a doubt one of my all time favourites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH_QMnjLOOA

jamie
#95 Posted : 10/29/2009 3:07:44 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

http://www.youtube.com/w...lve8&feature=related

Anyone else love tripswitch?
Long live the unwoke.

soulfood
#96 Posted : 10/29/2009 3:11:19 AM

DMT-Nexus member

As there's no stronger word than love I'm going to have to settle with yes Smile

He's a man of your land right?

jamie
#97 Posted : 10/29/2009 3:28:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

You mean from canada? I am not sure..maybe..
Long live the unwoke.

jamie
#98 Posted : 11/2/2009 6:37:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

found this randomly..
http://www.youtube.com/w...X-qw&feature=related
.."can I take you to this place where I hide empty bottles full on unshared moments"..fucking brilliant!
Long live the unwoke.

Spiced
#99 Posted : 11/2/2009 8:27:22 PM

Terra Incognita

fractal enchantment wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew6nPLZlve8&feature=related

Anyone else love tripswitch?

Oh yea!
Especially Shamanic Tea, it's one of my all time favorite tracks!Razz

benzyme
#100 Posted : 11/2/2009 8:43:38 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

Wwwwwonk

currently: nosaj thing @ wide open waves
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

«PREV34567NEXT»