We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
bisphenol A neutralization by plant healer (common purslane) Options

Intezam
#1 Posted : 11/7/2014 12:40:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Since we are all more or less exposed to bisphenol A (plastic softener),we jumble-stumbled across a Japanese paper about findings of the common purslane portulaca oleracea, a succulent weed that likes to grow in disturbed areas and beaches, having the power to completely neutralize bisphenol A from hydroponic solution and (possibly) other phenolic endocrine disruptors.
It is poorly, or not at all understood by which action the plant does that. The plant is also very nutricious and tasty. A good reason for growing and including it in our diet.
Specially perhaps, if we are used to using inproper lab gear Laughing

We will be adding purslane into tabouleh salad and skip the bulgur part for good.
Just look it up:
https://www.google.com/s...a+oleracea+++bisphenol+A

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

AcaciaConfusedYah
#2 Posted : 11/7/2014 2:07:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

Thanks for sharing, Intezam! You/ya'll/us/we always make posts that I enjoy reading....

I'll do some research on this plant and see if I can add it to the diet. Thumbs up
Sometimes it's good for a change. Other times it isn't.

vardlokkur
#3 Posted : 11/10/2014 8:15:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

This is great news, as the effective neutralizing agent can perhaps be studied and maybe works against other bio-accumulative toxic hydrocarbons. I notice the water bottles that I buy to avoid drinking tap-water sometimes have an aromatic scent to them even when not exposed to sunlight when first opening them (the scent is of course even stronger when exposed to sunlight). To be honest I kind of just accept the idea that there isn't much I can do currently to guarantee the purity of my own water with the limited time and resources I have at the moment just trying to sustain day to day life between school and work, which sometimes infuriates me.
The only hell for a warrior is peace.

The warm fuzzy side of the cold hard truth.

Auxin
#4 Posted : 11/10/2014 8:51:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Wut?
The papers say that live purslane metabolizes BPA in the hydroponic water its grown in. Nothing about humans eating it?
Also, it doesnt 'neutralize' the BPA in the hydroponic solution, it metabolizes it to a quinone of unknown toxicity.
While its fun to add weeds to the diet, I dont see any way this critter would help humans with BPA exposure.

If you have kidney issues, etc. be aware that purslane is quite high in soluble oxalates.

Cognitive Heart
#5 Posted : 11/10/2014 11:36:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Auxin wrote:
If you have kidney issues, etc. be aware that purslane is quite high in soluble oxalates.

Cooking with purslane helps reduce the amount of oxalates.. but also may reduce / increase nutritional benefits. This plant must be used in moderation, like most other plants with high oxalates.

Quote:
Portulaca oleracea efficiently removes bisphenol A, an endocrine-disrupting chemical, from a hydroponic solution. How this happens is unclear.[14]

Some very informative info within here. --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portulaca_oleracea

Thumbs up
'What's going to happen?' 'Something wonderful.'

Skip the manual, now, where's the master switch?

We are interstellar stardust, the re-dox co-factors of existence. Serve the sacred laws of the universe before your time comes to an end. Oh yes, you shall be rewarded.

vardlokkur
#6 Posted : 11/11/2014 10:29:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the elucidation of the dangers associated with consuming this plant and the lack of ability of consumption actually being a treatment. I hope at least the discovery of this metabolization ability leads towards methods that can at least later degrade large accumulation of such endocrine disruptors in the environment. It occurred to me also that once ingested and the body misrecognizes bisphenol and uses it in some sort of biosynthetic pathway it would already be too late anyhow?

What about with plastics that are bioaccumulative and may harm us through causes sclerosis occurs through foreign particles finding their ways into tissues such as the nervous system, which seems to be some of the implications of studies and basic physiological reasoning?
The only hell for a warrior is peace.

The warm fuzzy side of the cold hard truth.

Intezam
#7 Posted : 11/12/2014 8:42:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Smile under normal conditions, humans and (many) other animals live in large intestine symbiosis with bacteria people call oxalobacter formigenes, but they may be diminished in some people due to various causes (antibiotics, poison, barbarian hygenics, not eating with hands...etc). They can be re-introduced by supplements such as ̶t̶̶h̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶B̶̶ø̶̶r̶̶g̶ multi strain super shield probiotics...etc.

Auxin
#8 Posted : 11/12/2014 7:58:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hmm, I hadnt heard of Oxalobacter formigenes, that may explain an odd quirk of the oxalate puzzle.
In foods with equivalent molar quantities of calcium and oxalate it was expected that no calcium would be absorbed, but 1/3 is absorbed. Its only if theres a significant excess of soluble oxalate (like in purslane or chard) that no calcium is absorbed. I guess this critter frees up calcium for absorption, eh?
Some wonderful things live in our poop.