We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Poll Question : Would aliens be more interested in humans.....
Choice Votes Statistics
Aye 18 72 %
Nae 7 28 %

12NEXT
Would aliens ever bother with humans? Options

Infundibulum
#1 Posted : 8/11/2009 4:15:27 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

.....compared to other (life)forms on earth?

Ok, this question has been somehow mind-boggling me for some time. It has to do with how we think of ourselves, how far we can think out of the box and finally why some people are obsessed with alien contacts.

My thesis is that people make so many assumptions about aliens and alien encounters and in practise there are not may reason to hypothesise that aliens would bother too much about humans. More specifically:

1) People assume that visitors from outer space are on the same scale as humans. This needs not to be the case since extraterrestrials may be as small as ants and may be also visiting earth and communicate with lifeforms of their magnitude.

2) People assume that visitors from outer space would communicate with humans because we tend to consider ourselves as the most intelligent lifeforms on earth. But this may be incorrect. Alien intelligence may be so different to our intelligence. Alien intelligence may find some plant or some slugs easier to communicate with.

3) People assume that visitors from outer space will appreciate the human species (and try to communicate with) for what we think we are the best (such as taking control and changing our environment, being conscious of our existence, using tools, etc). This can be as wrong practise as imagining that god looks like a human. Again, in practise extraterrestrials may see humans as a not more clever species than other; just as a species that uses civilisation as a main strategy for survival and prosperity just as other species use different strategies more suited to their physiology and lifestyle.

When viewing humans from an ecological/ecosystem point of view, it seems difficult to come into the conclusion that humans hold "more value" (whatever that means) with regard to other species.

So the question is, why would someone assume that aliens would be more interested in humans than in other forms on this planet?

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

burnt
#2 Posted : 8/11/2009 5:50:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

I think it largely depends on how their language is constructed. I would assume that an intelligent life form capable of interstellar travel would be capable of communicating with its own species.

But anyway if they have sonar type communication kinda like whales they might go for the whales to talk to first. If they have some kind vocal cord we would be more logical. If they have more visual ways of communication maybe something else would be easier to communicate with.

Although I do think humans would be the best at being capable of communicating with another species, if they weren't getting much out of other animals for physiological reasons, simply because we have good problem solving skills that help us unravel other languages.

Jumiem
#3 Posted : 8/11/2009 6:11:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

If Alien species discovered Humans from Earth then I think they would have more in common with us (then anything else) because for them to have visited us they would need technology, and that would mean probably some sort of empathy towards us specifically because of a understanding of what it takes to become technological. I think its possible that if Aliens are real (I do strongly believe so) perhaps they have stopped us from global catastrophe due to improper application of nuclear reactions or something similar (think Chernobyl)

If Aliens found us I think they would keep a close eye on us because of how rare mammal + technological advancement is. They wouldn't want to see millions (billions?) of years of evolution lead almost up to the point of joining the galactic federation but then suddenly fizzling out. Would break their little hearts.
I guess it's about time for our William Tell routine.

burnt
#4 Posted : 8/11/2009 9:15:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

If they can't communicate with us they would probably want to kill / eat us. We would probably do the same.

acolon_5
#5 Posted : 8/11/2009 9:34:50 PM

The Great Namah

Yeah, probably not. As soon as they saw the way we took care of our home (the Earth) they would either vaporize us to keep us from spreading or keep on sailing by.

That or just abduct us and use us for their kids science experiments.
The Spice extends life
The Spice expands consciousness
The Spice is vital for space travel
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Never underestimate the power of STUFF!

I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention.

I don't know SWIM and personally don't trust him at all. If SWIM is posting, most likely I will not respond...as I said, I don't trust the guy. YOU I trust, but never SWIM.

burnt
#6 Posted : 8/11/2009 9:36:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

This post reminds me of the book "Enders game" which I just read for first time. How the aliens couldn't fathom that people could not speak with their minds so they just went to war with us at first. I think that shows a good lesson. Also a realistic scenario about being to being encounters. Even beings on this planet react like that. Even beings of the same species react like that.

Baffald
#7 Posted : 8/11/2009 10:01:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

They used to visit the Egyptians and Myans frequently but stopped for some reason, maybe as we got more technologically advanced. I think they stop by periodically to check out their experiment and see our progress or decline.

dread
#8 Posted : 8/11/2009 10:07:56 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
They used to visit the Egyptians and Myans frequently

They did? Can you prove that?

Harbinger
#9 Posted : 8/11/2009 10:55:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

dread wrote:
Quote:
They used to visit the Egyptians and Myans frequently

They did? Can you prove that?

The Sumerians wrote about their encounter quite extensively. But people only believe history books written in the present day by people who never actually witnessed anything. They then base their entire theory of history on biased or agenda driven interpretations of ancient writings and events. All heavily influenced by what christendom decided needed to be kept and what needed to be destroyed.

I have no proof. It is just my opinion. It just makes more sense that we were visited in the past.

For 200,000 years we roamed around chasing herds of animals and gathering berries with stone tools, then bam! We are building megalithic structures... to go from accomplishing nothing to tremendous feats of engineering in basically the blink of an eye?
Give the spice a little smile... and cross the veil in style.

ibeing897
#10 Posted : 8/11/2009 11:49:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Infundibulum wrote:

Ok, this question has been somehow mind-boggling me for some time. It has to do with how we think of ourselves, how far we can think out of the box and finally why some people are obsessed with alien contacts.

My thesis is that people make so many assumptions about aliens and alien encounters and in practise there are not may reason to hypothesise that aliens would bother too much about humans. More specifically:

1) People assume that visitors from outer space are on the same scale as humans. This needs not to be the case since extraterrestrials may be as small as ants and may be also visiting earth and communicate with lifeforms of their magnitude.

2) People assume that visitors from outer space would communicate with humans because we tend to consider ourselves as the most intelligent lifeforms on earth. But this may be incorrect. Alien intelligence may be so different to our intelligence. Alien intelligence may find some plant or some slugs easier to communicate with.

3) People assume that visitors from outer space will appreciate the human species (and try to communicate with) for what we think we are the best (such as taking control and changing our environment, being conscious of our existence, using tools, etc). This can be as wrong practise as imagining that god looks like a human. Again, in practise extraterrestrials may see humans as a not more clever species than other; just as a species that uses civilisation as a main strategy for survival and prosperity just as other species use different strategies more suited to their physiology and lifestyle.

When viewing humans from an ecological/ecosystem point of view, it seems difficult to come into the conclusion that humans hold "more value" (whatever that means) with regard to other species.

So the question is, why would someone assume that aliens would be more interested in humans than in other forms on this planet?

I think these are all fantastic points... completely correct. One thought I had was that aliens may in fact treat us with some importance simply because we have mastered space travel, after all, they're probably the first species on their planet to achieve space flight and they would probably hold this with the same level of respect as we do... I guess this is Gene Rodenberry's idea with star trek, the vulcans initiated "first contact" when the humans achieved interstellar flight. Another thought I keep on having though, is the idea that there must be some kind of intergalactic internet out there, and one day someone may just tune into it somehow, then it's not so much a case of the aliens caring about us, it'll be more of voluntary kinda thing where we initiate communication through a kind of hyperspace... sometimes I feel I've already tuned in Smile.
all posts are fictional

Jorkest
#11 Posted : 8/12/2009 1:22:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf ProgrammingChemical expert | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf Programming

fuc* yeah!
it's a sound

MagikVenom
#12 Posted : 8/12/2009 2:09:37 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hum................if they had rapidly changing skin patterns ......................no

They be talking to squids.

official vote not cast yetWink

PEACE
MV

soulfood
#13 Posted : 8/12/2009 2:32:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

I'd talk to them... or if I couldn't speak their language I'd put on some tunes and start dancing... I really hope that's not their equivalent to a proclaimation of intergalactic war!

۩
#14 Posted : 8/12/2009 3:06:39 AM

Would? Do.

MagikVenom
#15 Posted : 8/12/2009 3:13:28 AM

DMT-Nexus member

burnt
#16 Posted : 8/12/2009 8:05:06 AM

DMT-Nexus member

People built pyramids and large structures with slave labor. There is no real evidence for alien contact. And no seeing a object move really fast in the sky doesn't count.

obliguhl
#17 Posted : 8/12/2009 8:22:11 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes, because we're interested in animals as well....
Maybe Hyperspace is nothing but a big zoo were we are the pets.

balaganist
#18 Posted : 8/12/2009 10:40:23 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I think we have been, and are still. being visitied by beings all the time.....
I think modern peeps are hung up on them always being physical beings!
IMO what modern people call aliens is what ancient/indiginous people call spirits.
Sure, its also possible that we have or would be visitied by other physical beings... but I think we should not count out the beings from other levels of reality...
balaganist is a fictional character who loves playing the game of infinite existence. he amuses himself by posting stories about his made up life in our plane of physical reality. his origins are in other dimensions... he merely comes here to play.

soulman
#19 Posted : 8/12/2009 1:52:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

^^^
Agreed.
I am currently reading SUpernatural by Graham Hancok which talks about this.
He shows the remarkable similarites between what UFO abuctees say and the ethnographic litrature of ancient shamans in trace states.
Basically, what it boils down to is that these encounters tend to occur during altered states of consciousness i.e when we are more receptive to the wider frequency ranges.
This doent rule out the fact that people still do see physical ufos when not in an ASC's. Whether these a goverment vehicles being tested or an hyperdimetional vehicles which have crossed over breifly to this plane is the question though.
You have to go within or you go without

#20 Posted : 8/12/2009 3:22:52 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

soulfood wrote:
or if I couldn't speak their language I'd put on some tunes and start dancing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPaMdxC6CQI Very happy

12NEXT