We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
123NEXT»
Cannabis Extractions Options

Adjhart
#1 Posted : 10/8/2014 2:57:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

bubble hash, hash oil, butane honey oil, shatter...

I recently extracted a black/brown ball of resinous goo from jars of frozen trimmings. I just did a quick wash with 99% ipa, filtered through cheesecloth and coffee filter, then evapped.

The stuff has a very clean smell, a smooth burn, and some heavy effect. I've tried dabbing it but I'm really kind of a newb when it comes to that.

Does anyone else here like to perform cannabis extracts? Anyone have any teks they recommend or use? Thoughts?

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Pandora
#2 Posted : 10/8/2014 3:28:20 PM

Got Naloxone?

Welcoming committeeSenior Member

Your system is effective and much safer than the safest BHO run.

I have done it your style, using just trimmings, many times, but using acetone stored overnight in freezer, running quickly through a coffee filter and then t-shirt. The weed is finely ground into a powder first. I wind up with a thick oil that is a dark amber, but in any volume appears black. Dabs very nicely, though never as nice as vacuum purged BHO.

Because this is not vacuum purged I leave it in front of a fan for a couple days.

I suspect IPA is better as I have heard it has a higher cannabis affinity. It is just easier and cheaper for me to get acetone in quantities over 16 ounces.
"But even if nothing lasts and everything is lost, there is still the intrinsic value of the moment. The present moment, ultimately, is more than enough, a gift of grace and unfathomable value, which our friend and lover death paints in stark relief."
-Rick Doblin, Ph.D. MAPS President, MAPS Bulletin Vol. XX, No. 1, pg. 2

Hyperspace LOVES YOU

steppa
#3 Posted : 10/8/2014 3:48:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Adjhart wrote:
Does anyone else here like to perform cannabis extracts? Anyone have any teks they recommend or use? Thoughts?

I love doing cannabis extractions the BHO way. With a vacuum purge at the end. Imho only a co2 extraction could beat the result.

I'd be really happy if we could get a cannabis extraction thread going.

With my next extraction I'll post pics of my final product.
Everything is always okay in the end, if it's not, then it's not the end.

steppa
#4 Posted : 10/8/2014 3:50:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Pandora wrote:
The weed is finely ground into a powder first. I wind up with a thick oil that is a dark amber, but in any volume appears black.

I bet, if you wouldn't powder it first (which is of course beneficial, regarding yields) it would come out much clearer. Especially when using ice cold solvent with a short contact time.

arcologist
#5 Posted : 10/8/2014 5:03:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

My best results have been using acetone. I let the solvent contact the plant material for only a minute or so before I filter the solvent out and evaping. I do 2 or 3 pulls. The result is usually clear light yellow and very clean (from ground bud), or darker translucent amber (from leftovers from my vaporizer). Acetone dissolves the actives almost instantly so you can avoid getting a lot of the contaminant that would show up in an extract that has to sit for longer.

To clean up a darker extract, I usually will recrystalize the oil in IPA and/or naphtha, since a lot of the contaminants are insoluble in one or the other solvent. This usually removes a lot of brown soot-like stuff that can show up in extractions of previously vaporized bud. If it's not sticky to the touch, it's probably not active.

Adjhart
#6 Posted : 10/8/2014 7:05:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I want to remind people that when I'm making hash - I'm never making it from buds, but from trimmings. If you're talking about your extractions, please note your starting material!

I'm gonna run a batch through some newly acquired bubble bags to see if I can get any blonde hash off first.

Does anyone have experience or can recommend doing a bubble hash tek first, and then a qwiso (slang for quick wash w isoporopyl) or quick acetone tek after with the remaining material?

Here's what's leftover from my recent qwiso from trimmings. You can work it well, without getting any residue on your fingers, as long as it stays as cool as room temp. I'm still trying to figure out what's best.

Great responses so far! I <3 the cannabis forum.
Adjhart attached the following image(s):
IMG_1849.JPG (2,622kb) downloaded 852 time(s).
IMG_1850.JPG (2,011kb) downloaded 843 time(s).

Mitakuye Oyasin
#7 Posted : 10/9/2014 3:16:42 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I've used ice cold ethanol (Everclear or Spyritus) as close to 100% as you can get. If you leave all the materials and vessels you will be using in the freezer with the ethanol it limits the amount of chlorophyll and plant waxes that the liquid will pick up. Filter a few times, pour into shallow glass baking dish and evap for amazing honey oil. I used to use a lot of Butane extracts, but found more and more that the contaminants in them were not worth it. Ice cold ethanol for 5-10 minutes contact time works great. Separate clumpy materials but do not grind or powder the material. Use all glass vessels as much as possible.

The darker your end product the less pure it is and the more contaminants it has in it. Strive for light amber end product.
Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous.
โ€” Terence McKenna

All my posts are hypothetical and for educational/entertainment purposes, and are not an endorsement of said activities. SWIM (a fictional character based on other people) either obtained a license for said activity, did said activity where it is legal to do so, or as in most cases the activity is completely fictional.

steppa
#8 Posted : 10/9/2014 8:58:25 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Adjhart wrote:
If you're talking about your extractions, please note your starting material!

I use, what I have. Buds, trim...doesn't matter. The BHO from trim is slightly inferior to the BHO from buds, but still clear, and golden.

Personally I'd use the dark stuff from the pics only for edibles. Doesn't look nice me. But I guess that's a matter of preference.

biopsylo
#9 Posted : 10/9/2014 11:35:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
I'm gonna run a batch through some newly acquired bubble bags to see if I can get any blonde hash off first.

Does anyone have experience or can recommend doing a bubble hash tek first, and then a qwiso (slang for quick wash w isoporopyl) or quick acetone tek after with the remaining material?

me thinks if you are looking for the highest purity, then you will first make bubble hash with your bubble bags--then using the finest grades of hash -you might dry, then freeze the hash.

i would prefer 190 proof or higher ethanol to isopropanol, but it is not always easy to get, i know.

chill the ethanol/alcohol as well

attempt to dissolve the frozen bubble hash in an amount of chilled alcohol. surely as time passes/temp gets warmer, more and more will dissolve. then run it thru a coffee filter. any solids should easily be separated this way, as well as waxes, etc.

evap the alcohol at low temp
like the others have said, light amber is best.

steppa
#10 Posted : 10/10/2014 1:15:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So...I've got this Extreme Q Vaporizer.

It has a pretty stable temperautre contol unit, paired with a fan.

To play a game of make-believe....

...could I attempt a Destillation with it?

My way of thinking is the following...

Setting the temperature just below the vaping point of THC and leave it running for a while without collecting anything. Then turning the heat up just above the vaping point of THC and delivering the steam into a chilled container where it could condense on its walls. Then scraping it off those walls.

What do you think? Would this be even worth a try?

//EDIT//

Maybe a container would be stupid. I imagine that something like a filter could be more suitable. It could catch the goodies and those could be washed out with ethanol, which the could be evaped and vac purged. ..hm...

arcologist
#11 Posted : 10/10/2014 6:25:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I also have the Extreme Q. I would say to use a short length of hose, connect it to the elbow piece and the other end to a long piece of 1/4" (clean) copper tube/coil. Stick the other end of the tube into a container to collect any runoff. Then cover the whole container + tube with ice to cool it. Most of the cannabinoids will condense in the tube I would think, then you could wash them out with acetone or IPA and eval.

I already collect the stuff that condenses on the parts/tubing every month or so and recycle that in edibles.

DMTbenderDMT
#12 Posted : 10/10/2014 7:11:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

ive been running bho with a vac purge for months now, only the finest bud, occasional trim runs. 99% IPA is great for trim because of its cost, butane is took much $ to be using on trim, although it yields great oil, the yield is small compared to bud.

the best bho I have made has to be from blue dream, got 7.3gs out of 25grams of nugs.
then Barry white was pretty much on par with that.

with doing any type of extraction on pot i have found minimizing the exposure time of the IPA or Acetone or what ever you use, ive tried about everything. and the weed is key for good color. also don't mix your pulls do a separate dish for each pull so that way you can compare the quality.

keeping stuff as hole as possible helps with the quality and taste also.

the only thing i like better than vac purge is spraying the butane into a Pyrex measuring cup then mixing that with 190 proof moonshine.once you only the butane has evaped throw that moonshine into the freezer for 48-56 hours, filter it once everything settles and evap you moonshine. Crystal clear THC shatter every time
DMTbenderDMT attached the following image(s):
20140909_183911.jpg (2,376kb) downloaded 757 time(s).
20141005_150419.jpg (4,096kb) downloaded 757 time(s).

The Day Tripper
#13 Posted : 10/11/2014 11:48:20 PM

Rennasauce Man

Location: A Pale Blue Dot orbiting a GV2 Yellow Dwarf fusion powered Luminous Ball of Plasma at 30km/s
heptane works very well for making hash oil as well....

I use bestine (same stuff i use for freeze-x with dmt), evaporates clean with a kosher msds.

Use my sep funnel, with a cotton ball at the bottom, drop in my ground up bud/trim, and do three 3 min pulls with as little bestine as i need.

Evaporate it, then scrape it up and put a vac on it with gentle heating (100f) as well as removing the vac and stirring occasionally, and it makes oil thats just as good or better than bho, without the risk of using supercritical butane, which is one of the biggest reasons i don't like using butane for hash oil.

Definitely worth a shot if you've never tried.

"let those who have talked to the elves, find each other and band together" -TMK

In a society in which nearly everybody is dominated by somebody else's mind or by a disembodied mind, it becomes increasingly difficult to learn the truth about the activities of governments and corporations, about the quality or value of products, or about the health of one's own place and economy.
In such a society, also, our private economies will depend less upon the private ownership of real, usable property, and more upon property that is institutional and abstract, beyond individual control, such as money, insurance policies, certificates of deposit, stocks, etc. And as our private economies become more abstract, the mutual, free helps and pleasures of family and community life will be supplanted by a kind of displaced citizenship and by commerce with impersonal and self-interested suppliers...
The great enemy of freedom is the alignment of political power with wealth. This alignment destroys the commonwealth - that is, the natural wealth of localities and the local economies of household, neighborhood, and community - and so destroys democracy, of which the commonwealth is the foundation and practical means.โ€ - Wendell Berry

GOD
#14 Posted : 10/21/2014 8:51:35 PM
DMT-Nexus member

My opinion . No offence ment .

High Steppa ,

I dont know the vaporiser you are talking about but what you want to do works . I used to do it with a personaly tuned bubble pipe . http://www.bukketshop.com/shop_smoke_bubble.html

Powder it as fine as possible .

Do the whole thing with as small an internal volume as possible so that the product is as concentrated as possible .

Cooling it down isnt worth it ? ......... The vapour isnt going anywhere ...... its in the chamber ...... and also because you need the temperature to vaporise it and a cooling thingy would have to be far enough away from the heater so it didnt effect it ........... and getting the product out of tubes is hmmmmm ........... then they lead to a condensation chamber ............ why bother ? its easyer to just do it it the condensation chamber = no pipes . Cheeper . Easyer ...... Its also a matter of scale ...... on a small scale its not worth it .

Why scrape it out ? Either vaporise it off the walls of the condensation chamber or throw some more original product in and then scrape it out .

@ extraction

Grass needs to be decarboxylated before you make oil .

I dont want to anoy anyone or spoil your fun but .......... generaly its not worth makeing oil . It destroys the quality of the high . Please make the distinction between high and physical / mental flattening factor .

The darker extracts are the older and / or impurer they are . Good oil is the colour of light honey ......... light straw colour . Pure THC is red .

Aceton is not a good solvent because it extracts to much . Thats why one gets more = its a weaker product .

IPA is also not a good solvent for the same reason and because its relatively had to get pure IPA .

The strongest ethyl alcohol is 96.4 % the rest is water . It atracts water from the air = it gets weaker so keep it closed .

Both ...... as with all liquid solvents are hard to get off the end product . Even under vacume there is still some left in . Drop some on a clean mirror and let it evaporate to see if it leaves a residue . If it does dont use it .If it doesnt it doesnt mean that its good for the job .

There are other reasons not to use solvents especialy those two ...... and if you do use a solvent its better to use things like heptane as The Day Tripper said . You get a lot less but its cleaner = better quality .

When it comes down to it the only point ....... except for experimentation and fun ........ of makeing oil is if the grass is crap .

The easyest and safest way to do it is to buy the strongest clear alcohol ......... vodka and rum are very good ......... and just powder your product ....... put it in a bottle and cover it with the alcohol . Leave it in the dark and cool ......... then filter = electric green vodka / rum .

Drink shots of it . It comes on fast , smooth and strong . Its a good high that can last a long time . BE CAREFULL WITH THE DOSE .

SAFETY = Remember . In high doses cannabis is / can be very hallucinogenic and those effects can last the whole day .

@ Hash

Stricktly speaking you are not talking about hash you are talking about commercial . The difference is in how its made and the effects . Remember ..... there are two definitions of hash quality = The effects and the way its made . To see what commercial is and how its made see the documentry film " Hashish " ......... it also shows how " experts" get totaly ripped off . http://dangerousminds.ne...tion_of_moroccan_hashish

Another good place to look for basic info about hash is R.C.Clarkes book " Hashish " .

" Bubble hash " is better than most of the stuff available outside of moroco but its commecial . If you want to make water hash and you are interested in quality its better to carefully sieve the product and make three seperate qualitys and then wash them . That means that your product is clean and you have 3 qualitys . Then if you want make oil from each of them .

Generaly its better to read a book by a real expet than to get ones unfo from the internet . A very large pat of what one can find in the net is from people who have read a book by someone who has read a book that they didnt understand .
I am autism spectum ........ please dont burn me at the stake for being honest .

DreaMTripper
#15 Posted : 10/22/2014 3:29:01 AM

DMT-Nexus member

steppa wrote:
So...I've got this Extreme Q Vaporizer.

It has a pretty stable temperautre contol unit, paired with a fan.

To play a game of make-believe....

...could I attempt a Destillation with it?

My way of thinking is the following...

Setting the temperature just below the vaping point of THC and leave it running for a while without collecting anything. Then turning the heat up just above the vaping point of THC and delivering the steam into a chilled container where it could condense on its walls. Then scraping it off those walls.

What do you think? Would this be even worth a try?

//EDIT//

Maybe a container would be stupid. I imagine that something like a filter could be more suitable. It could catch the goodies and those could be washed out with ethanol, which the could be evaped and vac purged. ..hm...

I came across this the other day you might be interested in..see attached..

What yeilds do you all get from decent leaf?

Nathanial.Dread
#16 Posted : 10/22/2014 4:06:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

This might be of interest to you guys

https://www.dmt-nexus.me...aspx?g=posts&t=57478
"There are many paths up the same mountain."

steppa
#17 Posted : 11/3/2014 3:19:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

What follows is the process I utilise to make BHO from trim.

But first...

Butane is highly flammable, so let us next talk about safety.

First and foremost, always perform the extraction outside in a well ventilated area.

Have a fire extinguisher handy, as well as a blanket to roll up in, should the unthinkable happen.
It goes without saying that smoking around a butane extraction is asking for a disaster, but I have literally grabbed the hand of folks starting to light up because they โ€œforgotโ€ where they were at and what they were doing.

May I suggest that you leave your lighter and smokes somewhere else when you are doing extractions.
Same with your cell phone!

Wear no synthetic fabrics, including your socks, because static electricity sparks probably ignite more butane unintentionally than bone headed smokers.

Butane is heavier than air and will collect in low spots given its own devices.

In dry cold conditions (cold winter), we add a grounding strap to our cans, so as to not draw static electricity sparks between the can and the column.

Put your butane in the freezer when you are about to begin your extraction. This will result in the butane dripping nicely out of your extraction tube instead of instantly expanding everywhere.

As extraction tube I use a stainless steel turkey baster from amazon. It is nearly perfect for my needs as a butane nozzle adapter fits right inside itโ€™s tip, like itโ€™s made for it. Be sure to use teflon tape to seal any small gaps. You want this to be sealed tight cause otherwise it would result in a loss of pressure and thus in a loss of yield.

Fill the trim in the extraction tube. Pack it tight! You donโ€™t want air pouches in which the butane could expand as we want it to be in its liquid state. Fill your tube to the top. If you donโ€™t have enough material you can use 100% Cotton as a filler. But if the tube isnโ€™t fully loaded the filling may move around which would hurt our yields significantly.

When itโ€™s filled, itโ€™s time to cap it. I use a coffee filter followed by a stainless steel mesh and attach those whith a steel clamp.

Preheat an oven to about 60° - 70° C. Put two chamotte stones inside.

Prepare some hot water and pour it into a bowl.

Put some Teflon around the nozzle of the butane can.

Place the dish which you want to use for your extraction (i.e. a pyrex bowl) inside the hot water bath.

Take some gloves or a potholder or something equal. You canโ€™t hold the extraction tube with your bare hands while extracting. This WILL result in severe frostbite.
Now the fun part beginsโ€ฆ

Place the nozzle of your butane in the butane nozzle adapter in the end of your extraction tube. Hold the tube above your extraction dish, which sits in the hot water bathโ€ฆand spray the butane through the tube.

It may take some time till the butane begins dripping out of the other end into your extraction bowl.

So spray a few seconds the stop spraying wait a few seconds and spray again.
It seems the consent that one can (250ml) of butane is enough to extract the goodies from 1oz. of trim.

Speaking personally, I just check with my finger if the dripping butane still leaves a sticky residue on it after evaporation.
If not, it was enough.
Now wait and let the butane evaporate till no more liquid butane is visible.

You can bring the dish inside now. But be careful as there is still a lot of butane in your product.

I place the dish in the pre heated oven, with an opned door to quickly evap some of that excess butane and to make the extract thin and runny.

Then I scrape it up onto parchment paper and put itโ€ฆ

... alongside a chamotte stone into my vac chamber. The stone is to keep the extract warm and runny, so that the butane can escape faster and easier.

After a while, when the movement has slowed down, I replace the chamotte stone with another one from the oven and put the used one back, in case that I need it again.

I repeat this procedure till thereโ€™s no more movement when the extract is under vacuum.

Then I put it in the fridge for a few seconds to harden up after which I transfer it into my dish.

Thatโ€™s it.

I used about 15 gramms of trim this time. I didn't weight the result. Looks like something between 1.5 and 2 tasty gramms.

Some words on the butane...

Personally I only use butane whis has the "Near zero imprurities" stamp. I also check the MSDS to make sure that there aren't any anti rust agents or something like this in it.

steppa
#18 Posted : 11/3/2014 3:24:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

DreaMTripper wrote:

I came across this the other day you might be interested in..see attached..

Thank you very much!

Quote:
What yeilds do you all get from decent leaf?

The yields really vary depending on the starting product. I got everything between 5% and 30%.

DMTbenderDMT
#19 Posted : 11/6/2014 12:52:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

awesome steppa, love your pic and rundown, any links for that baster?

steppa
#20 Posted : 11/6/2014 1:13:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

DMTbenderDMT wrote:
awesome steppa, love your pic and rundown

Thanks man. Smile

Quote:
any links for that baster?

Of course... I don't know where you are...so here's a link for US Amazon

And one for EU Amazon

Hehehe..the EU one even comes with a potholder glove. *gg*

123NEXT»