We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
123NEXT
DMT. Music or no music? Options

lateralus47
#1 Posted : 10/2/2014 9:00:30 PM
DMT-Nexus member

hello people of the nexus. i am planning my first trip into hyperspace very soon and i am contemplating wether or not to play music during the experience because i dont want to be distracted by the music or something. so what do you guys perfer and do you think that music takes away or adds too the experience?

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Swinjin
#2 Posted : 10/2/2014 9:52:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I prefer to do it with music. "Lateralus" by Tool is one of my favorites to listen to during the journey. For some reason I feel like you would enjoy it too.Razz

Muffen
#3 Posted : 10/2/2014 11:12:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

lateralus47 wrote:
hello people of the nexus. i am planning my first trip into hyperspace very soon and i am contemplating wether or not to play music during the experience because i dont want to be distracted by the music or something. so what do you guys perfer and do you think that music takes away or adds too the experience?

Music can enhance the experience or do just the opposite. Put on a tune that you think fit the experience and try out. It helps if you've done other psychadelics as you'd have an slight idea to what you liked during these experiences.

I would also advice starting low and working your way up.
If you see a post with me spelling badly, just remember that english it's not my native language.

SKA
#4 Posted : 10/2/2014 11:21:12 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Ambient is the key. Music during a DMT experience should never demand too much attention at any one time.
It should only serve as an anchor, as a quiet background sound just present enough to let you know it's there but not more attention-demanding than that. Finding the perfect volume is also important; Not too loud, not too soft.

Some examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg8uoepX4OI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5dU6serXkg

Here's one I made myself. This track can be downloaded. It is meant to be played on repeat:
https://soundcloud.com/s...wishwellinthewishingwell

1ce
#5 Posted : 10/2/2014 11:25:24 PM

Communications-Security Analyst

I prefer music to help me relax and start off my journey in with a specific feel. Once I've been ejected from my bodily shell I cease to really hear or observe it.

Music often drives the journey deeper/further, at least for me. But I think this is due to state of ease and relaxation I'm in; allowing me to be taken over with greater ease.

anrchy
#6 Posted : 10/2/2014 11:36:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Everyone is different. Try it with music and without to see what you prefer. I used psybient styles like sync 24, phutureprimitive, vibrasphere, and solar fields.

I have a few friends that prefer nothing but maybe a fan running.

There are tons of threads on this topic please use the search function.
Open your Mind () Please read my DMT vaping guide () Fear is the mind killer

"Energy flows where attention goes"

[Please review the forum Wiki and FAQ before posting questions]

ghettohmbrglr
#7 Posted : 10/3/2014 1:50:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Silence + darkness for this guy. Don't want anything holding me back from this world.
"Sometimes I go about in pity for myself, and all the while, a great wind carries me across the sky."

-Ojibwa

SKA
#8 Posted : 10/3/2014 2:43:54 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Silence has worked well for me in the past too.
Allthough I would usually burn a candle, I used to do this in almost complete darkness.
However I encountered some seriously wrathfull entities during these experiences.
Inspite of fear and disgust, I faced them with courage and calmness. I came out stronger and wiser.

Nevertheless: I have taken care to "protect myself with good spirits" before diving into the dmt realm.
I use ambient tracks such as the examples I gave earlier to invoke such a good spirit and stay in touch with it
throughout the experience. Spirit = Psychological Archetype = Disencarnate Entity = a Mentality.

When ever I feel deep fear/grief/anger..etc before going into hyperspace
I find the music soothing and it seems to clear my mind. It helps me in letting go.
It helps me to achieve a state of surrender before I go in. And it helps maintain that state during the experience.
So that, when I meet these terrifying beings again in hyperspace, I am better guarded with the good spirits.

Then it is also a matter of using Ambient music to drown out the background noise of an urban enviroment.
The only place I've ever felt really comfortable blasting off in complete silence was deep in nature.

SynKyd
#9 Posted : 10/3/2014 3:37:55 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Tribal drumming is awesome, or anything light or trippy without vocals is my preference. Agree with others that if you go deep it doesn't matter you won't hear it for much of the journey. The drumming does help reground on the return I think, if that's what you want.

Kodo is amazing, if you need a drumming reference point.
At the center of this existence, it is everything and nothing, all of us and each of us and none of us. My light is now lit, and it cannot be extinguished.

lateralus47
#10 Posted : 10/3/2014 4:15:40 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Swinjin wrote:
I prefer to do it with music. "Lateralus" by Tool is one of my favorites to listen to during the journey. For some reason I feel like you would enjoy it too.Razz

i just went on my first journey!!! i played no music but it was like i had a playlist of tool songs built in to my brain. some were songs that dont even exist but it was still tool.Big grin

lateralus47
#11 Posted : 10/3/2014 4:22:15 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for all the great advice.

Felnik
#12 Posted : 10/3/2014 5:08:42 AM

DMT-Nexus member

No music for me . I found music to be a trivial human construct
compared to the real time in the moment experience of a dmt trip .
Over the years I've tried it many different ways with and without music.
At this time no music is where it's at for me . And I'm a musician
The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
Arthur C. Clarke

http://vimeo.com/32001208

RAM
#13 Posted : 10/3/2014 6:04:43 AM

Hail the keys!

I have not done it with music once as I enjoy the sound of the carrier wave. This can also morph into "video game bopping sounds" at later stages (I can only describe those sounds with the word "blubber" or "bouncing" at the moment...).

I will probably try with some light trippy type stuff soon enough, however I would have to agree that vocals would be very distracting. Especially when words lose meaning as symbols, you would want the music there for guidance rather than teaching. But if you're big into music, things might be different for you specifically.
"Think for yourself and question authority." - Leary

"To step out of ideology - it hurts. It's a painful experience. You must force yourself to do it." - Žižek

theacidtest
#14 Posted : 10/4/2014 7:28:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Neither of my experiences thus far have included music. Maybe for my next experience I'll try adding some music, but I'm undecided as to whether it will really add to the experience.

Ryusaki
#15 Posted : 10/4/2014 10:31:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I accidently started the wrong track in one of my first journeys with changa, and suddenly there was black/death metal blaring from my speakers. Surprised
One strike of the string and the bass guitar was ripping me apart and i was pulled out of my body and dragged downwards.
The satanic content of the grunting did their thing to influence the athmosphere of the whole experience.
My thoughts where like: Oh no, i am going to hell! Twisted Evil
I was pulled in this strange morphing "room" where strange impossible geometry was coming out of the walls, and then i lost myself there when the red dragon/snake thing appeared and started to dance.

I had luck because, i was very stable and in a good mood, the music wasn't too loud, neither too stressful, more of a groovy tranceinducing track.
I was very amused about the irony of the whole situation and the experience itself appeared very tongue-in-cheek.

Purges
#16 Posted : 10/4/2014 11:10:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Music can be very helpful. It helps clear and focus the mind, and can block out unwanted background distractions, such as traffic, sirens, partner making noise in another room etc. Personally I have had great success with Carbon Based Lifeforms, world music in varying forms (Ravi Shankar is a winner), and Ayahuasca Icaros. I do tend to smoke Changa over straight freebase, so maybe that gels better. Don't be afraid to explore. Silence has also brought some extremely deep states.
Lose Control, Free My Soul, Break Me Open, Make Me Whole.
"DMT kicked my balls off" - od3

#17 Posted : 10/4/2014 12:53:40 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

Ryusaki wrote:

The satanic content of the grunting did their thing to influence the athmosphere of the whole experience.
My thoughts where like: Oh no, i am going to hell! Twisted Evil

Laughing hahah

Now, in regards to the thread, as Purges said, i've had deep experiences with both complete silence - being absorbed in the gyrating unfoldment/enfoldment of vibratory bleeps and bloops and hyperreal choruses; but id have to put my chips on music.

Ime, music has been VERY transformative when smoking DMT, especially music that evokes deep heart-felt emotional response/ecstasis - that in combination with a harrowing DMT experience, ime, lends to a transmutation of epic proportions, nine times outa' ten. The key for me is preferably non-vocals instrumental and/or electronic.

Ime, with music, or any form of evoking high energy pre-dmt experience - hyperspace works directly with and spins things in a fashion that never had occurred in any of my silent dmt journeys.

Nereus
#18 Posted : 10/4/2014 3:16:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Music for me!

Best thing about it during journeys is that if chosen carefully it can help greatly on the emotional level. Also if not chosen right it can induce confusion. But with the help of the right sound the travels can have an even greater level of depth.

AcaciaConfusedYah
#19 Posted : 10/4/2014 3:30:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

I have not really tried music. I like focusing on the sounds that are part of the experience from within or from nature.

A friend and I shared a giggle stick in front of a large waterfall. The sound that came from the water bashing into the rocks below created an electronic-like orchestra. It was amazing. I wish I(or anyone) was capable of reproducing the melodies that the waterfall created. I was convinced that the waterfall knew what we were doing and decided to put on a show for us. Smile Perhaps the mind knows how to put on the best show of all.
Sometimes it's good for a change. Other times it isn't.

Nereus
#20 Posted : 10/4/2014 3:37:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Love

123NEXT