We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
stupid question?? Options

lonewolf123
#1 Posted : 7/30/2009 12:01:45 AM

DMT-Nexus member

hey guys, SWIMs trying to recrytallize some yellow spice, works like a charm, but not sure if others would say its dirty or has extra alkaloids. So SWIM put 300mg diluted in about 12ml heptane at room tempurature, and guess what, it didnt dissolve (he know he was supposed to use warm 120F water but he wanted to experiment alil bit). so SWIM put the shot glass over simmering water and stirred it until the spice dissolved. (SWIM is pretty sure alot of the heptane evapd, so he had to add more and is unsure of total amount of heptane in the glass. Will spice evap with the heptane at a high enough temp??) But not all dissolved and hes left with a brong gunk at the bottom of the shot glass and individual crystals looking more like theyre sticking to the sides rather than forming one nice big crystal on the side. hopefully everything hes done is correct enough so far that he didnt lose nearly everything but he would appreciate you guys giving him some advice.

But my real question is this (sorry if its stupid), the tool SWIM used to stir the heptane has decent amount of crystals on it that are gonna be real tough getting off. Can someone tell SWIM what tools they use, or maybe give him a link to a nice chem set that SWIM can use for extractions and re-x. He really knows nothing other than the research he did on the web and mainly this site, SWIM picked up a small kitchen grill for a hot plate but the lowest that gets is 200F so hes gonna have to return that. So yea, if someone can tell my friend the equipment they use and maybe a link to a good site to get some stuff it would really be appreciated. Oh and if someone can tell SWIM what the brown gunk at the bottom of the shot glass is that was be cool too and if they think SWIM lost most of his spice.....

wow, that looks like alot of stupid questions

Thx

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

West-en
#2 Posted : 7/30/2009 1:55:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The reason it behaved strangely before dissolving; DMT melts at temperatures before those of simmering water (~45°C). There's no harm in this and it probably dissolves a bit faster, but I would not recommend you heat the water any further to prevent it from boiling. This is not something you often have to worry about, but keep in mind that it boils before water. The gunk keeps getting uglier because the DMT dissolves before those not so nice impurities. For heating a recommend those USB cup-heaters, perfect for small containers and the temperatures are often good.
Just keep stirring, it takes a while to make a saturated solution!
There's a clear difference between what I say I do and what I actually do perform.

lonewolf123
#3 Posted : 7/30/2009 4:30:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

so if swim understands you, even that gunk should have been diluted..... swim will reheat and keep stirring, but seriously, what does swiy use to stir and not have crystals stick all over that??