We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Dextrose + pf Options

mistmann
#1 Posted : 9/25/2014 4:25:10 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I was debating cakes for mushrooms and we got on the topic of inoculation.

We can inoculate, saw dust, brf, bird seed.

I was curious if any one has read any thing on adding dextrose to a pf cake before inoculating. Theroising that it will act like a super food for the mycilium.

Here is my experiment:
3.5c of verm
1c of brf
1tb of dextrose to make my pf jars

My hypothosis is that it will has a more rapid growth due to:
1, existing dextrose LC and it's been colonized initially in dex
2, more of a spectrum (on the nutriance scale) that it will just have a healthier growth.

I will not be able to execute my experiment till next week but I'm curious as to every ones feed back.

Please note, I have basic knowledge of chemistry and botiney (college 100 classes) so I might need help explaining thing thank you for your time.

***edit*** one thing I was concerned on the theroitical side is, dextrose can carmalize during sterilization of grains.
Exp. 15psi 45-55mind on pf cakes VS 15psi 15mins on dextrose LC.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Orion
#2 Posted : 9/25/2014 4:51:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

How much water do you plan to use? For PF you usually want 2 parts verm, 1 part BRF and 1 part water. I think using more verm and less brf with just a tablespoon of dextrose will probably be less than optimal.

I would definitely have some normal jars colonizing alongside some jars with dextrose added to the water. Mark those and see if there is much difference.

It's the difference in fruiting that is important though right?
Art Van D'lay wrote:
Smoalk. It. And. See.

mistmann
#3 Posted : 9/25/2014 5:17:23 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I've done research on verm : water ratios.

To my understanding you want to wet the verm to a certain level and drain access. I have read 2-3 monoslab teks that suggested this.
As far as parts of water goes, I'm not really sure, but I should monitor that to find optimal fruiting. Thank you for your input.

I will be doing an along side study with normal jars.

^^ I will edit my first post after research to includ quantity of water, and possibly change verm:brf ratios as well. Thank you again and stay tuned :-)

Infundibulum
#4 Posted : 9/25/2014 9:15:55 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

mistmann wrote:
I was debating cakes for mushrooms and we got on the topic of inoculation.

We can inoculate, saw dust, brf, bird seed.

I was curious if any one has read any thing on adding dextrose to a pf cake before inoculating. Theroising that it will act like a super food for the mycilium.

Here is my experiment:
3.5c of verm
1c of brf
1tb of dextrose to make my pf jars

My hypothosis is that it will has a more rapid growth due to:
1, existing dextrose LC and it's been colonized initially in dex
2, more of a spectrum (on the nutriance scale) that it will just have a healthier growth.

I will not be able to execute my experiment till next week but I'm curious as to every ones feed back.

Please note, I have basic knowledge of chemistry and botiney (college 100 classes) so I might need help explaining thing thank you for your time.

***edit*** one thing I was concerned on the theroitical side is, dextrose can carmalize during sterilization of grains.
Exp. 15psi 45-55mind on pf cakes VS 15psi 15mins on dextrose LC.

Dextrose is what all the carbohydrates from brf will be metabolised to so as to be used as sources of energy inevitably. Adding extra dextrose means that dextrose will be used up first so you might make it easier for the mycelium to get energy.

But making it easier to get energy does not mean that it will grow faster. Growth needs robust protein synthesis ans dextrose cannot directly provide that. You need those extra nutrients (e.g. amino acids, lipids, inorganic salts etc) along with an energy source for growth.

I do still think that your experiment is worth performing even though the rationale behind it is not extremely sound -as it often happens, no amount of theory can replace practice.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

mistmann
#5 Posted : 9/25/2014 9:36:47 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I really appreciate the positive feed back, I will defiantly post my experiment at the current measurements. If it only fluctuates by 3 days I may try it again with a different ratios.

But if it's a total fail, I'd like to try light malt extract next and just repeat.

Irrlicht
#6 Posted : 9/30/2014 9:45:23 AM

DMT-Nexus member

mistmann wrote:
I'd like to try light malt extract next and just repeat.

Malt extract works great, a table spoon dissolved in hot water which you then use to soak your substrate before sterilizing. Makes a big difference!

Infundibulum
#7 Posted : 9/30/2014 10:29:18 AM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

mistmann wrote:
I really appreciate the positive feed back, I will defiantly post my experiment at the current measurements. If it only fluctuates by 3 days I may try it again with a different ratios.

But if it's a total fail, I'd like to try light malt extract next and just repeat.

Using malt extract first makes more sense from a nutritional point of view, as it is not only barren sugars like dextrose.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

mistmann
#8 Posted : 9/30/2014 3:42:07 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Awesome! Then maybe 4 control innoculatation.
Pf
Pf+dex
Pf+lme
Pf+dex+lme

Now I wish my spores arrived yesterday. But if they are here today, ill post my percedures.

If any one is curious I was able to revive two year spores on brf pf jar, and the spores had no temperature regulation until I innoculated a cake. Now they are 78-82 55-60% humidity will the mycilium grows