We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Acacia ID (Acuminata) Options

Fallsup
#1 Posted : 9/12/2014 10:29:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi all !!

I recently went for a drive south east a couple hours of where i live in search for some Acacia Acuminata. At this time of year (Spring) the Acacias near me are flowing a brilliant show of display.

So... going off the research I've done the Acuminata has a long narrow phyllode and a cylindrical shaped flower rather than a round shaped flower.

I found this specimen and it looks very similar and has all the characteristics described. I understand there is a wide phyllode variety also but to me these look quite thin.

Opinions, thoughts, advice all welcome!

Thanks everyone
Fallsup attached the following image(s):
IMG_1332.jpg (3,433kb) downloaded 114 time(s).
IMG_1331.JPG (4,992kb) downloaded 114 time(s).
IMG_1330.jpg (2,648kb) downloaded 114 time(s).

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

changalvia
#2 Posted : 9/12/2014 6:07:12 PM

eat your jungle oats

I've only ever seen the narrow pyllode up close but looks like it could be the broader variant. The growing tips are lime green tho which is weird. The Narrow variant I've seen have red / Purple growing tips.. at least at the small tree stage anyways. I could be wrong tho. If you nibble a fresh pyhllode what does it taste like?

Perhaps the color changes to that greenish yellow during flowering? Just thinking aloud..
With every great plan comes the pleasure of patience. Take a rest, and grab a suckle off the teat of life!

Cosmic Spore
#3 Posted : 9/13/2014 12:45:42 AM

☠ ⚡ ☣ ⚠ ☢

To me it the phyllodes do look like Acacia acuminata, but look more broad than the narrow phyllode varint.
I suspect it's some variety of Acacia acuminata.

Fallsup
#4 Posted : 9/13/2014 1:05:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for responses!

Ive attached two photos one of the narrow phyllode and one of the broader. I can now see a clear difference in shape and suspect as you guys suggested the plant im looking at is of the broader species.

So that being said i should still be able to successfully extract from this? Do you guys know if there is much of a difference in dmt content between the narrow and broad ?

Fallsup attached the following image(s):
image.jpg (299kb) downloaded 91 time(s).
image.jpg (100kb) downloaded 92 time(s).

Fallsup
#5 Posted : 9/13/2014 11:58:29 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Would Cybs Salt Tek be suitable for Acacia extraction ?

Hieronymous
#6 Posted : 9/14/2014 10:13:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

So did you decide to rape this tree ?

I couldn't kill a tree without planting at least 10 saplings to replace it, even then I don't think I'd like the Karma of that hanging over my head when I blasted off.

Fallsup
#7 Posted : 9/14/2014 11:10:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hieronymous wrote:
So did you decide to rape this tree ?

I couldn't kill a tree without planting at least 10 saplings to replace it, even then I don't think I'd like the Karma of that hanging over my head when I blasted off.

Hieronymous what made you think i was going to "rape" this tree?

For the record i didn't take anything from this plant - not even a clipping as i dont have a positive ID.

IF in-fact this plant is Acuminata there was more then enough fallen branches and Phylodes on the ground in the area i was in to take. From what i understand it is possible to carry out a successful extraction using the phylodes from the Acuminata.

I do however require some guidance as to what tek can be reccomended or that people have successfully used to extract from this plant.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Peace

Hieronymous
#8 Posted : 9/14/2014 11:49:48 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I just wanted to express my thoughts on unsustainable harvesting, sometimes a sarcastic line of questioning can convey a point a lot better than a lecture.

Sorry if my last post was offensive, but I must admit that was partly what motivated me to post in that style. Recently there has been a rise in cases of people over harvesting this species and doing nothing to ensure it will be a sustainable resource in the future.

All that being said you seem to have a genuine respect for the trees, so I'm sorry about dumping that in your thread.

When I read the thread originally I was very hesitant to verify the ID on this tree but you seem genuine so...

I'd say by looking at the phyllodes and inflorescences in your pics that that tree is a broad phyllode acuminata, given the time of year that the flowers appeared would almost guarantee that it is an acuminata.

Cyb's salt tek wouldn't be my first choice for Acacia phyllodes, there are a lot of auxiliary compounds in phyllodes which can complicate the process.

Have a look at the Acacia extraction workspace for some insights
Acacia extraction workspace

Fallsup
#9 Posted : 9/14/2014 1:03:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I understand your hesitation under the circumstance, your response came across a little bold thats all.

And i am aware of people taking from this species with no moral or conscience intentions stripping/ring barking them. I would never strip/kill a plant for my own selfless benefit that does not sit well with me in any way Thumbs down

Aside that thank you for your input. I would have agree in saying what i have found is the broad variety of acuminata. This time of year is perfect for identifying acacias as they are in full bloom, I think they are flowering a little earlier than last if i remember correctly it was more towards the end of september early october.

I will read through the acacia workspace again, i did have a read earlier but didn't find to much to do with acuminata...

I wont be making a trip back to the spot for a couple months now so i have plenty of time to do more research and find out which path is best.

If you have any more information youd like to share on the topic then fire away Smile

Thanks again!

Hieronymous
#10 Posted : 9/14/2014 1:32:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

By all means try an extraction on phyllodes and twigs, personally I'd hunt down a patch of narrow phyllode acuminatas if I was going to extract from phyllodes.

If all you can find is broad phyllode acuminata then look for trees with large (75mm + diameter) branches growing from the main trunk less than about 3 feet from ground level and harvest them like a good tree surgeon would.

Before cutting the branch off you need to do an undercut on the underside of the branch that penetrates about 1/4 to 1/3 of the diameter of the branch - cut upwards into the branch and then do your felling cut at least 30mm further away from the trunk from the top of the branch downwards.

I can't understate the importance of the initial undercut, without doing this the branch will fall and tear a strip of bark off the tree, which with this species is almost always fatal. Never cut into the collar (the bulbous swelling where the trunk joins the branch) and leave at least 50 -75 mm of branch before the cut.

Never use the same saws on different trees without cleaning them with a some sort of disinfectant between trees. Bleach, metho & tea trea oil will do, even dettol is better than nothing.

Fallsup
#11 Posted : 9/15/2014 8:57:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hieronymous wrote:
By all means try an extraction on phyllodes and twigs, personally I'd hunt down a patch of narrow phyllode acuminatas if I was going to extract from phyllodes.

If all you can find is broad phyllode acuminata then look for trees with large (75mm + diameter) branches growing from the main trunk less than about 3 feet from ground level and harvest them like a good tree surgeon would.

Before cutting the branch off you need to do an undercut on the underside of the branch that penetrates about 1/4 to 1/3 of the diameter of the branch - cut upwards into the branch and then do your felling cut at least 30mm further away from the trunk from the top of the branch downwards.

I can't understate the importance of the initial undercut, without doing this the branch will fall and tear a strip of bark off the tree, which with this species is almost always fatal. Never cut into the collar (the bulbous swelling where the trunk joins the branch) and leave at least 50 -75 mm of branch before the cut.

Never use the same saws on different trees without cleaning them with a some sort of disinfectant between trees. Bleach, metho & tea trea oil will do, even dettol is better than nothing.

Thankyou Hieronymous!

That is excellent advice on cutting i will take with me when the times right!

Regards