We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Cultivating Iboga Indoors Options

Icon
#1 Posted : 9/11/2014 4:01:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I've been very interested in Iboga after reading about it. I wanted to order some bark and do an extraction to have an experience, even though I don't really have a need to. I understand it's not recreational, but the intensity draws me nonetheless. I couldn't find a source for it that wasn't extremely expensive, so I got the sense that it's somewhat endangered; which is a shame if it has as much potential as they say. I feel that entheogens are very beneficial and sacred entities in our world that anyone should have access to. While it's great that they are getting more attention, I'm worried that they're being carelessly overconsumed without thought for their sustainability.

I decided the best and only option was to start growing some seeds. I've heard that Iboga seeds are very difficult to germinate. I followed the best advice though and it worked out well. The seeds are most viable when still in the pod, and the vendor I found shipped single pods wrapped in moss. I think it took about 3 weeks to arrive, and had instructions for keeping the mossy rotting pod in a bag for 3-6 weeks until the seeds sprouted. There's a whole bunch of other tips to boil the seeds, nick the coats, etc. but I guess the best route is to just wait for them to sprout from the pods. I checked the seeds and they looked just like the pictures and moisture was good, so just put the bag in a drawer and literally forgot about it for over a month. By the time I noticed it again a couple weeks ago, 6/6 seeds crept out of the moss toward the ziploc with huge radicals and cotyledons. (No pic)

I was surprised and quickly prepared a seedling mix for it, 90% coarse sand and 10% vermiculite. I was a little rushed to get them transplanted, but decided this would be fine for its inert drainage requirements. I'll see how it goes.

I found them a little late, and the cotyledons on all but 1 of them were badly withered. I wasn't sure whether they would survive at all but this species appears vital. They greened up after a couple days and have grown some and begun new leaves.

This guy's cotyledons did not recover at all Sad But is already showing new signs of life.

I have them under a 6500k Daylight fluorescent light, in a bin to contain the humidity. I put 2 inches of soaked perlite in the bottom of the bin, and the humidity stays around 90 which may be a bit too much. They're in little biodegradable potting cups, for easy transplanting. But mold has taken over the bottom quarter of the cups, which I'm not sure whether to care about or not. I'd pot them into something larger with soil, but I'm not prepared to mimic the humidity on a larger scale.
I plan to keep them inside, maybe take them out next summer some when they're stronger. But I live in US zone 5a, so planting isn't really an option.

(Iboga bottom left)

Overall, the process getting this far was pretty easy and fun. I encourage anyone else to get some seeds started if you support entheogens and plan to try them or revisit them a few years from now.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Enlightened_One
#2 Posted : 9/11/2014 10:53:29 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hello friend!

Wow, beautiful work man! You have some beautiful sprouts there brother. Keep up the threat work! Iboga has a lot to offer... talked about power! Thumbs up

Looks like you have a rather proper fungi grow going as well! I just finished two BS tubs of some beautiful Cambodian P. cubensis... what variety you working with my friend?! I'm curious..

ouro
#3 Posted : 9/11/2014 7:33:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

even the seedlings that have some cotyledon damage look healthy enough to survive fine. Well done!

In its natural environment, the temps range from around 70 to 90F and the humidity ranges about 70-90 percent over the cycle of a day. So, 90 percent humidity is not necessarily a problem.

The plant usually grows best in part sun, but can be acclimated to full tropical sun exposure.

You're biggest challenge, as you have begun to see, will probably be keeping the air fresh enough, while still maintaining the high temp and humidity. A computer fan to circulate air can help.

Good luck!

Icon
#4 Posted : 9/12/2014 3:44:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Enlightened_One wrote:
Hello friend!

Wow, beautiful work man! You have some beautiful sprouts there brother. Keep up the threat work! Iboga has a lot to offer... talked about power! Thumbs up

Looks like you have a rather proper fungi grow going as well! I just finished two BS tubs of some beautiful Cambodian P. cubensis... what variety you working with my friend?! I'm curious..

Thanks friend! Hehe, indeed... got a golden teacher isolate in that tub. Maybe we can swap prints sometime, I've heard a lot about cambodians.

ouro wrote:
even the seedlings that have some cotyledon damage look healthy enough to survive fine. Well done!

In its natural environment, the temps range from around 70 to 90F and the humidity ranges about 70-90 percent over the cycle of a day. So, 90 percent humidity is not necessarily a problem.

The plant usually grows best in part sun, but can be acclimated to full tropical sun exposure.

You're biggest challenge, as you have begun to see, will probably be keeping the air fresh enough, while still maintaining the high temp and humidity. A computer fan to circulate air can help.

Good luck!

Ahh, thank you! I knew I was forgetting a factor--the air. I'll probably drill some holes in the side of the bin and put some filters. I have a fan blowing on the area already for the previously noted monotub so this should work similarly. Also reminded me I have a heating pad I can put under the bin in the winter, that should keep the temps in a good range. Do you live in a proper climate, or how have you simulated their environment? Any tips on scaling it up for when they get bigger?

ouro
#5 Posted : 9/12/2014 9:54:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Making a chamber with ~80F temps and ~80 percent humidity is easy, the hard part is keeping it clean and fresh. I recommend cleaning whatever chamber you make at least monthly with bleach or h2o2 and setting up internal circulation fans. A plastic sheet around some shelves with a decent seal worked for me.

I used the wire metal shelving you have in your pic, which I think are great shelves, but in retrospect something that is easier to clean might make your life easier.

In two years each plant could have at least a few gallons of roots and stand 3 ft tall, for sizing considerations.

I'm still not sure what the best soil medium is. I've tried various mixes of potting soil, compost, perlite, orchid bark, and now experimenting with LECA. Whatever soil you use just make sure it drains fast and lets the roots aerate or you will get rot. Fairly fertile soil is OK.

This might sound like a lot, but the conditions are pretty simple and the plant grows quickly and easily if you supply them.

Good luck!