We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Cicadas Options

AcaciaConfusedYah
#1 Posted : 9/2/2014 3:50:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

Ok... this is a weird post. I need to vent a little bit.

For the past few weeks, cicadas have been tormenting me. It seems like everywhere I go, the wretched sound follows me. The sound they make is equivalent to shoving tiny metal rods into my head - it is literally painful for me to be around this sound for too long.

I want to see if i can get my hands on some Cicada Killers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphecius_speciosus

Yes, i would rather have my yard swarming with Giant wasps than these awful-sounding little beasts. I'm over it. The wasps will have no interest in bothering me, they'll have plenty of food to chase.

Does anyone else have issues with this? Or am i just finding too much time to worry about stupid shit?

Does anyone know how to rid your property of cicadas, or know where I can buy some cicada killers.
Sometimes it's good for a change. Other times it isn't.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Cognitive Heart
#2 Posted : 9/2/2014 4:31:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I rather enjoy the sound of these creatures. Although I can only hear them on a hot, sunny day out on a dry path or out in nature..one time I focused my energy and meditated to their buzzing sound as it attracted me, and the sense of connection with this creature within the environment and my body was incredible. They look really interesting up-close.

Smoke would probably deter them away. Be creative! Smile
'What's going to happen?' 'Something wonderful.'

Skip the manual, now, where's the master switch?

We are interstellar stardust, the re-dox co-factors of existence. Serve the sacred laws of the universe before your time comes to an end. Oh yes, you shall be rewarded.

3rdI
#3 Posted : 9/2/2014 4:39:32 PM

veni, vidi, spici

id get some skewers and fire up the BBQ, yum yum.

INHALE, SURVIVE, ADAPT

it's all in your mind, but what's your mind???

fool of the year

AcaciaConfusedYah
#4 Posted : 9/2/2014 5:37:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

3rdI wrote:
id get some skewers and fire up the BBQ, yum yum.

Now, there's an IDEA! I'm a vegetarian, but I may make an exception. Twisted Evil

Cognitive- I used to like their sound - in moderation. The issue I have is saturation. It's been non stop, and EXTREMELY loud. We live in a subtropical part of the US and it's been very hot here, recently. No rain. They used to only talk at night, but now it's all day.

I watched a video by Paul Stements yesterday. He talks about using specific fungi to attract insects and take down colonies. Shortly after posting the original post, I walked outside and found a freshly dead cicada covered in fungus.... It would be interesting if this concept could work... Maybe my fungal allies have heard my call... Wink
AcaciaConfusedYah attached the following image(s):
cicada.jpg (1,570kb) downloaded 188 time(s).

twofourtwo
#5 Posted : 9/2/2014 5:48:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

You can just toss 'em on the barbie but if you're looking for something a little more sophisticated I'd suggest you check out the Cicada cookbook first:

http://umaa.umd.edu/E-Ne...r/docs/cicadarecipes.PDF

AcaciaConfusedYah
#6 Posted : 9/2/2014 6:08:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Do you guys have a good recommendation how to catch them? Or should I just google? I like hearing your suggestions, though. Smile

Cognitive Heart
#7 Posted : 9/2/2014 6:22:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

AcaciaConfusedYah wrote:
Do you guys have a good recommendation how to catch them? Or should I just google? I like hearing your suggestions, though. Smile

You'd be able to jar them up-close while they make their sounds. Without frightening them of course. They usually stay stationary even when you are nearby. Wear some plugs or headphones to cut out the sounds whilst catching them.

We are interstellar stardust, the re-dox co-factors of existence. Serve the sacred laws of the universe before your time comes to an end. Oh yes, you shall be rewarded.

jamie
#8 Posted : 9/2/2014 11:53:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

I really cant believe that you don't like the sound of cicadas singing. I would take all of them. Man, I have spent many hours seeking out such spots.

It is also not a good idea to just rid property of an organism you dont like the sound of..
Long live the unwoke.

The Unknowing
#9 Posted : 9/3/2014 12:27:02 AM

Life is a dream, the heart a compass

Cicadas are my little buddies! As a kid I'd always hunt for them and let them crawl over me and bite me with their cute little snouts. The amount of pain they can give you is surprising Smile

I think meditating or any other altered state of consciousness may assist you in appreciating their music.
The Universe is Breathing
As Above, So Below, As Within, So Without ~ message from the divine

AcaciaConfusedYah
#10 Posted : 9/3/2014 1:28:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I think I'm probably just over thinking it. There's more to the story. And, I guess I should share.

We moved to a new place. Before moving, I took a month long break from the molecule. I had been partaking once or twice a week. Things were good. I took the break because I knew that I had to move, and I thought that the stress from a move might make for a weird experience.

We moved, it was stressful, all came out just fine.

I had been waiting for the right time to come back to the molecule, and when I did, I was met with a bunch of difficult entities. One by one, I met them and dealt with their doings. The first experience involved this thing that turned my body into a robotic, metallic, android thing. I felt my body breaking down and being pulled apart, poked and transformed to the rhythm of the Cicadas in the back ground. Ever since that day, I've been experiencing these strange metallic pains all throughout my body when the Cicadas sing. It's like a weird metallic pressure. As I said above, I used to like their sing. But now, it's associated with a difficult experience. I guess I need to unlearn that experience.

I've finally been getting things back to normal. It's been a process of self evaluation and introspection. I get a lil Crazy every now and then. Very happy It's ok. Usually getting a little crazy leads me back to sanity.

I'll try the meditation approach and see what happens.

Jamie, you are welcome to come visit the Cicadas if you'd like! I might learn a thing or two.

benzyme
#11 Posted : 9/3/2014 2:11:48 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

all I have to do is take a stroll down the town park/trails. the buggers are alway singing during the day, it's quite hypnotic.
I used to record them with a minidisc recorder, transfer the sound to a sampler, and timestretch it 400%.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

acacian
#12 Posted : 9/3/2014 2:16:51 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I echo the above posts.. i find the sound of cicada's hypnotically enjoyable and they become fairly subconscious after a while. i feel as if something about their sound resonates with some primordial aspect of myself

blasting off out in the wild with the cicada's singing is incredible. has anyone tried this?

Cognitive Heart
#13 Posted : 9/3/2014 2:37:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
it's quite hypnotic.I used to record them with a minidisc recorder, transfer the sound to a sampler, and timestretch it 400%.

Agreed. Do you happen to have that sample laying around?

Quote:
i feel as if something about their sound resonates with some primordial aspect of myself

Yes. For me, the sound resonated in a way that very much grounded my being and encompassed my senses, as one awareness.

AcaciaConfusedYah
#14 Posted : 9/3/2014 2:48:06 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I think i'm going to try to have an experience on the molecule that redefines my interpretation of the Cicada. I'll face the noise and see if something different happens.

This may sound silly, but I humbly ask some of you magic people to send me some vibes of strength. I'll certainly repay the favor! Very happy

jamie
#15 Posted : 9/3/2014 3:42:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

"blasting off out in the wild with the cicada's singing is incredible. has anyone tried this?"

Yeah..crickets, cicada's, frogs...they all exhibit a tryptamine like carrier wave in they're songs. I had one really awesome experience with crickets sitting in my camp on a hill sort of on the outskirts of shambhala city...it was awesome...I could hear this roaring symphony of insect icaros, overlapping with dubstep and lazer beams in the distance..

The frogs changed my life though. Deep forest mysticism. Another story for another time..
Long live the unwoke.

Entheogenerator
#16 Posted : 9/4/2014 1:35:49 AM

Homo discens

Man, I envy you. I would love to enjoy the rhythm of the cicadas once again. Just one of many thing I miss about living in the south...
"It's all fun and games until someone loses an I" - Ringworm
Attitude PageHealth & SafetyFAQKnown Substance InteractionsExtraction TeksThe Machine

AcaciaConfusedYah
#17 Posted : 9/4/2014 3:40:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Well, I dropped my grudge.

AcaciaConfusedYah attached the following image(s):
20140903_223731.jpg (989kb) downloaded 94 time(s).
20140903_223819.jpg (1,292kb) downloaded 92 time(s).

Cognitive Heart
#18 Posted : 9/4/2014 3:53:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Congrats! Very happy Nice photos.

Jin
#19 Posted : 9/4/2014 4:28:42 AM

yes

Thumbs up
illusions !, there are no illusions
there is only that which is the truth

benzyme
#20 Posted : 9/4/2014 5:53:48 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

Cognitive Heart wrote:
Quote:
it's quite hypnotic.I used to record them with a minidisc recorder, transfer the sound to a sampler, and timestretch it 400%.

Agreed. Do you happen to have that sample laying around?

if i do, it's on a minidisc somewhere, but I don't have a player anymoreConfused
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

12NEXT