We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Which one to get? 100% Pure sodium carbonate or 99% pure? Options

Nime
#1 Posted : 7/24/2009 12:42:41 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Hey guys, i want to enhance some of my extraction abilities, so im going to need some sodium carbonate. I was wondering which you guys would recommend i get 100% pure or 99% pure sodium carbonate.

Here are the links to both items on ebay.

Soda Ash 99% Pure Sodium Carbonate
100% Pure Sodium Carbonate

Thanks you for your time!

Nime

Improvised Labware Vapor Bubbler (continued)

I would like to make it be known that I do not actually put what I write on this website or any place into practice in the real world. I like to live a life of fantasy on the internet where I ask questions and give answers.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Infundibulum
#2 Posted : 7/24/2009 3:46:38 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

It makes really not much difference whether it is 99% or 100%, even though one would intuitively go for the 100%. Just note that nothing is ever 100% so there will always be other things in totally trace amounts. The traces of other stuff would not interfere with the uses sodium carbonate is intended for (e.g. raising the pH) yet their nature makes ingestion of this sodium carbonate not the safest things. Neither of these products is food grade.

SWIM wouldn't and doesn't normally care about whether something is food grade or not but some people do have such concerns. Hence the mention.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

Nime
#3 Posted : 7/24/2009 3:56:30 PM
DMT-Nexus member

So i guess this one would be my best bet?

It states food grade in the description

Food Grade Sodium Carbonate

Improvised Labware Vapor Bubbler (continued)

I would like to make it be known that I do not actually put what I write on this website or any place into practice in the real world. I like to live a life of fantasy on the internet where I ask questions and give answers.

Infundibulum
#4 Posted : 7/24/2009 5:03:22 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

Health-wise, yes. Food grade is not necessarily the purest grade (which you do not need anyway) but it is the safest. It means that any impurities contained are safe to eat and that every part in its manufacture (apparatuses, starting materials) as well as processing (this even includes packaging!) are safe for humans.

For instance, the apparatus it was manufactured with has not been previously used for, say, production of arsenic salts or radioactive phosphorus or whatever.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!