We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
panaeolus cyanescens woe Options

Infinite I
#1 Posted : 8/10/2014 5:24:35 PM

JC

Hey guys so recently discovered in my locale some panaeolus cyanescens. First time ever picking this mushroom, first time picking in over 2 years and well it was a great experience. Got a few then not much, then tried again a week later, walked around for an hour or so telling myself theyre super strong Ive got a few, this is part of the trip, then I found a whole load and it was like the good old days, looking up seeing them in all directions so happy!

Id read a few reports here and elsewhere and they are always super strong, clear but strong, always super potent and Im wondering how are people taking them?? My friend mentioned and hes right when you start drying them they seem to deteriorate big time in mass. Maybe this is why people are experiencing super strong trips as so much material has deteriorated to a small gram amount?

I had some last week drying after a few days and due to reports I ate 2 average sized ones, I have no scale as difficult to acquire where I am, then ate another 4 a half hour later, then another 8 20 mins later then 5 after I started feeling effects. I guess this was roughly a gram apologies for the guestimates of the dosage but these are super potent right? So I got nice effects nothing major nice, working it out if it was comparable to liberty caps it would have been a lot more of an experience.

So trying to capitalise on my decent amount, so I thought as they dried away, I read about the lemon tek and people are saying omg imagine doing it with these mushrooms, 3x stronger etc. so I got roughly double of what I took before, all average dried ones crushed best I could then soaked them in lemon then made a tea.

I drank half and waited, my friend made a similiar tea, but no lemon soak just lemon in the brew with less mushrooms. I waited an hour and 20 mins practically nothing, I waited so long as my friend had said it took a long time to hit he was going to take more then it hit him like a steam train, then I drank the other half and milder than the last time, we werent together btw. Im thinking the ones I used I left out to dry too much and lost potency, seems obvious but Im new to them and such things would never occur with liberty caps, theyre guaranteed roughly 30 average ones and your going to have a great trip.

I have my second batch which I left out in 27 degree average temp room quite humid, for 2 days then put them under the sun for an hour, I then had to leave the house and I didn't put them in a container but they were'nt out the sun, and had dried well but when I came home they had started getting damp again. I had another small amount I collected and contained them as soon as they dried well after the sun exposure.

So whats the deal? do they lose a lot of potency when dried too much? any advice on drying/storage preparation etc, would be great. I always had great success with brewing fresh libs then storing and it was still very strong a year later, also didnt seem to matter how you dried them they always retained their potency. Any thoughts, experiences, ideas would be great cheers Thumbs up

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

benzyme
#2 Posted : 8/10/2014 5:32:45 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

panaeolus cyanescens have high psilocin content, and drying them does lower the psilocin conc.
the reason for it isn't what most people think (light, air, etc.): psilocin oxidation is catalyzed enzymatically, and heat accelerates the process.

drying the mushrooms above room temp greatly reduces their potency, this has been shown in at least one study.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Infinite I
#3 Posted : 8/10/2014 5:41:41 PM

JC

Cheers benzyme, so how to dry them, its very hot here so a lot hotter than average room temps? I read freezing is genrally bad, the fridge? Does making tea make them less potent as after today I thought of something I read that said warm them in a bath which was a new thing. How have you prepared them in the past?

benzyme
#4 Posted : 8/10/2014 6:10:13 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

well, when I came across them in the wild (2005), that was well before I knew anything about them (and how to prepare them). I suppose I'd do a cold ethanolic extraction, a tincture, and adding vitamin c (ascorbic acid). store in the freezer.
there's no practical way of separating psilocin from the proteins, aside from an a/b extraction, and even that's risky (in the sense of potentially rendering the product inactive).

"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Infinite I
#5 Posted : 8/10/2014 6:26:56 PM

JC

Right cheers mate funny you say that in my searches it was you talking about the fats attaching to the psylocibin and cant separate or create loss. Im not going to do anything extravagant like that, how did you take them when you werent aware to prepare them? Ive seen you metntion how strong they were how did that happen? lol I keep thinking people must be eating them fresh or they have dehydrated so much that one gram is a lot of alkaloids?

benzyme
#6 Posted : 8/10/2014 6:32:32 PM

analytical chemist

like an ignorant n00b, I dried them in an oven, on low heat. that effectively degraded the psilocin. I then ate them as-was, I got nothing more than the tactile hallucinations.

if you make a fresh tea, that's one thing...but don't dry them with heat. vac desiccate them in a cool place, if possible. otherwise, a cold extraction in acidic alcohol should keep the psilocin stable.

Infinite I
#7 Posted : 8/10/2014 6:56:00 PM

JC

benzyme wrote:
like an ignorant n00b, I dried them in an oven, on low heat. that effectively degraded the psilocin. I then ate them as-was, I got nothing more than the tactile hallucinations.

if you make a fresh tea, that's one thing...but don't dry them with heat. vac desiccate them in a cool place, if possible. otherwise, a cold extraction in acidic alcohol should keep the psilocin stable.

Excellent cheers its obvious the heat thing makes them weak and its really hot here, fresh tea will be the way I think. I know others use dehydrating for normal mushrooms then sell them at market and they hold all their flavour. I done the oven thing with an amount as I read it was the best way to retain strength Confused

Ive had 3 batches 2nd batch the biggest and that was the one I dried after two days then in the sun for an hour, those were dried the best, even though its not. The ones I took tonight were left too long then oven dried. Im thinking get all the dried ones, small batch and another batch and make a tea. Maybe lemon soak them all and put them ina warm bath and syphon the water then start testing potency?

Its started getting hot here and im not sure if the temps will drop again, they should but its been a few days and its been really hot so not sure how to best use what I have. Cheers

Orion
#8 Posted : 8/25/2014 11:06:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

If you don't weigh your dose with Pan Cyans, you are seriously walking on thin ice bud! Weigh that magic! Who knows, you could have just under-dosed by a fair bit.
Art Van D'lay wrote:
Smoalk. It. And. See.