We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Just who can be a member of the Native American Church? Options

pau
#1 Posted : 8/5/2014 10:24:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I always thought it weird that the federal peyote "exemption" could only apply to bona fide "Indians". Well, a court in Utah - of all places - in 2004 thought otherwise. My apologies if this reference has been posted here earlier, but then, religious freedom is supposed to be important thing in this country. And maybe its not that surprising that Utah sees that clearly.

Many fascinating ideas here....paragraph 22 sums it up pretty well.

Peyote and religion
WHOA!

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Cosmic Spore
#2 Posted : 8/5/2014 10:30:29 PM

☠ ⚡ ☣ ⚠ ☢

There may be a better answer come, but a few years ago, I looked into this:

The US Supreme Court has said that one must be a member of a Federally recognized tribe in order for the religious freedom act to apply. What that means is that one must have found a direct ancestor listed on the Dawes Rolls. I am in a state recognized tribe, not recognized by the federal government.

Muskogee Herbman
#3 Posted : 8/5/2014 10:49:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm interested! I am also a member of a federally recognized tribe.
Creator help me live in a way that will make my ancestors proud.

AcaciaConfusedYah
#4 Posted : 8/6/2014 12:20:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

I am very interested in learning about this church. Do you have any links that you could provide so I can aim my research in the right direction?
Sometimes it's good for a change. Other times it isn't.

pau
#5 Posted : 8/6/2014 12:25:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for your personal insights!

So does this scenario sound accurate to you: if I, classified as "Caucasian" with 0% Native American blood, was a genuine member of NAC, and a Utah resident, then I could legally engage in peyote ceremonies within that state? But if I tried the same thing in any other state, I would then be breaking the law? And, what about San Pedro....I've even seen reports that San Pedro is replacing peyote due to increasing scarcity.

There may be no bigger group of people viewing this as a sacrament than the members of this forum.
WHOA!

Cosmic Spore
#6 Posted : 8/6/2014 12:26:53 AM

☠ ⚡ ☣ ⚠ ☢

Thanks for the information. A few more questions:

1. If one obtains membership with the ONAC, are they automatically protected/recognized as a medicine person, or is there a special process or application to be recognized as a medicine person?

2. Is there a preferred ONAC branch to join?

3. Is it necessary to obtain both ONAC Membership Card ($200.00) and an ONAC Federal Recognized Tribal and / or ONAC Independent Branch Card ($25.00)?

There was a time (last year iirc) I tried the 'contact us' as a means to obtain membership (asking for waiving of fees), I didn't receive a response.

AcaciaConfusedYah
#7 Posted : 8/6/2014 1:24:35 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

Thanks! That was the website that I had found, but want to verify that I'd found the right one. I'll spend some time doing some research, but I think I'll likely join regardless. I would love to contribute to the cause, and would love to learn about the spiritual practices of our early ancestors.

My dad spent a lot of time telling me stories and teaching me about the native american beliefs when I was young(my great grandmother was half Cherokee - so i've been told), but we've never participated in a formal ceremony. I think he'd be interested in learning about this church as well.

Sometimes it's good for a change. Other times it isn't.

Keeper Trout
#8 Posted : 8/11/2014 4:53:31 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Keeper Trout | Skills: Jack of many trades, master of several:  chemistry, microbiology, optical work, stone cutting, metal working, botany.Cacti expert | Skills: Jack of many trades, master of several:  chemistry, microbiology, optical work, stone cutting, metal working, botany.Senior Member | Skills: Jack of many trades, master of several:  chemistry, microbiology, optical work, stone cutting, metal working, botany.

Both ONAC and Strawberry Plains NAC accept all races. Both organizations keep bumping into challenges the meaning of which only the future will make clear. (ONAC is causing a bit of a stir by recognizing Cannabis, ayahuasca and "other" sacraments in addition to peyote)
Many other NAC groups actively oppose them and their legal people have actually strategized how to try to take ONAC down or at least cause them further harassment. Its very much worth watching the ongoing circus in this arena. Its also worth noting that Utah's state law has more recently been modified to prevent anything similar to ONAC's success reoccurring in the future.
Peyote Way Church of God also is all race but is independent from the NAC. They lack legal protection having failed in their last court challenge (despite being recognized to be sincere in that same ruling) but they remain dedicated and active today regardless of that.

Most NAC groups won't accept Caucasians due to pressure from NAC of NA and from DEA. This has increased in recent years (since the 1990s) to the point that some NAC groups now say that it is a requirement for them to ban non-Native Americans. The "requirement" is not a legislative one but rather is something coming out of DEA and NAC of NA. Historically there used to be much more acceptance of other races than at present.
That said, in the right context there are NAC people who serve the Medicine to people all over the world. Lakota NAC roadman Marvin Swallow for instance conducts peyote ceremonies in Japan in a hybrid NAC-Shinto ceremony involving his wife (who is a Shinto priestess). In Mexico or Europe anyone is apparently welcomed in NAC ceremonies but this is not the case inside most of the USA for most of the NAC groups.

California has tons of White card-carrying NAC members but in California there is no NAC group that actually has legal protection due to the state having a prohibition law forbidding peyote use for everyone. Even Native American roadmen have had their Medicine seized in recent years.

marz
#9 Posted : 2/11/2015 8:40:15 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Big grin a member as of yesterday Very happy
"PSYCHEDELIC DRUGS DON'T CHANGE YOU- THEY DON'T CHANGE YOUR CHARACTER-UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE CHANGED THEY ENABLE CHANGE THEY CAN'T IMPOSE IT...."
-ALEXANDER SHULGIN

It's time to move on to the next step in the psychedelic revolution

Once
#10 Posted : 4/7/2015 3:21:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Can you guys confirm that cultivation is protected by ONAC membership? When reading through the website, I saw mention of possession and transportation, but did not seen any verbiage specifically addressing legal protection for cultivation.
I would join in a heartbeat if I could grow my cacti legally.
All statements made by Once have no basis in reality, if reality even exists.

MaNoMaNoM
#11 Posted : 4/7/2015 5:43:19 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Talk about collective conscious, or something, but this magic thread conveniently came up!
Laughing
i have been looking into the nativeamericanchurcheses . org and their right to sacraments.

Then i came across this directory of ONAC practitioners

Which led me to this school actually considering attending(never thought i'd say that!).

i have just now discovered this, and i need to research more,
but i think they're covered by OMAC as an independent branch.

SO if i got my Doctor of Natural Medicine Ayurveda: DNM(P)
and /or Doctor of Traditional Naturopathic Medicine (ND)
Big grin
i would have legal right to grow and administer ALL natural entheogens?
*ALL WAYS WITH LOVE

MaNoMaNoM
#12 Posted : 4/7/2015 6:13:44 AM

DMT-Nexus member

This is the direction i will go. Pleased edit well i have a feeling.
*ALL WAYS WITH LOVE

Once
#13 Posted : 4/7/2015 12:15:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Awesome! I will have to look in to this.
Do you know offhand of any specific legal rulings or ONAC declarations that can clarify our protection for cultivation? or does cultivation fall under possession? I just want to be safe, and to know my rights.

Praxis.
#14 Posted : 4/7/2015 6:58:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I hate to be a Debbie Downer here, but ONAC has a pretty controversial following. The organization and it's leaders (James Mooney and crew) have been denounced by the Native American Church on more than one occasion and (according to the NAC) there is no affiliation.

The following excerpts are from a court case in which the Hawaii branch of the Oklevueha NAC (run by Michael Mooney, James' son IIRC) is defending it's sacramental use of cannabis because of their alleged affiliation with the NAC. The court case itself is about cannabis, and the NAC states that being affiliated with the NAC does not protect you from using/possessing/cultivating any illegal plant medicine with the exception of peyote. Their stance is that the NAC is a peyote-religion and historically they have never been associated with cannabis or any of the other substances which ONAC offers in their ceremonies. In the process of explaining this they (the NAC) are unapologetic in denouncing The Oklevueha Church in it's entirety. (EDIT: Sorry about the weird spacing, these excerpts are copy/pasted from a .pdf which is formatted differently. I did my best to even it all out and make it legible but it still seems to be kind of messed up)

Quote:
The amici organizations filing this brief in support of the Appellees, the United States officials named in their official capacities, include the National Council of Native American Churches, the Native American Church of North America, the Azee' Bee Nahagha of Dine Nation, the Native American Church, State of Oklahoma, and the Native American
Church, State of South Dakota. Collectively, these groups and their member organizations represent hundreds of member chapters, and the vast majority of NAC members throughout the United States and Canada...

Amicus the Native American Church of North America (“NACNA”) was incorporated under articles filed in the State of Oklahoma on April 17, 1950, as amended in 1955. In this capacity, the NACNA is the national representative of chapters of the Native American Church
in two dozen states in the United States, and chapters in several provinces in Canada,
representing thousands of Native American people who practice the Peyote Religion...

Further, this brief explains that the Amici NAC organizations do not recognize the Oklevueha Church of Hawaii, Inc., as a chapter, nor do they recognize Mr. Mooney as a member
of a legitimate chapter of the Native American Church. To the extent that the claims of
Oklevueha or Mr. Mooney rest on allegations or inferences of an affiliation with the Amici
NAC organizations or with any legitimate chapter of the Native American Church, they should be rejected.

In an effort to invoke this history of religious persecution and accommodation for their own purposes, Appellants in this case, the Oklevueha Native American Church of Hawaii, Inc., and Michael Rex “Raging Bear” Mooney, represent themselves as affiliated with the NAC.
The Appellants here invoke the “NAC” name, history, and religious practices, all in support of their claims regarding marijuana, see App. Br. 4-7, 20-33, much as they did below.

...As the District Court noted, however, the record contains no evidence of a relationship with the NAC generally, nor with the NACNA in particular, and mere use of the “NAC” name
does not entitle Appellants to the claimed legal exemptions...

Amici NAC organizations do not recognize Oklevueha as a chapter, nor does it recognize Mr. Mooney as a member...

Mr. Mooney is, by his own admission, not a member of a federally-recognized tribe, and in this case, neither he nor Oklevueha seeks legal protection for the use of peyote...

Preserving the narrowly-tailored exemptions contained in the AIRFA Amendments, achieved through a long and hard-fought legal struggle, is of the utmost importance to the Amici
organizations, which are deeply concerned about Appellants’ attempts to distort and manipulate the Peyote Religion for their own benefit in the present case...

Again, despite the use of “NAC” in the name of the Oklevueha organization, this argument cannot be attributed to the Amici nor, to their knowledge, any legitimate chapter or
organization of the Native American Church

As the plain language of the AIRFA Amendments makes crystal clear, this statutory exemption applies only to members of federally-recognized Indian tribes who use peyote in traditional Indian religious practices...

Read the NAC's full statement here

And you can also refer to the transcript of the entire court case

On the Oklevueha website, this stuck out to me:

Quote:
Attending Earth Based Indigenous American Native Spiritually Empowering and Healing Ceremonies – especially Native American Church indigenous ceremonies that involve sacraments (peyote, cannabis, ayahuasca, etc) that are otherwise illegal for Non-Members to partake and or be in possession of

Why is this group offering ayahuasca? Ayahuasca is not a traditional North American Indian sacrament and has nothing to do with the NAC. The document I cited above makes it clear that they only condone the religious use of Peyote by federally recognized Native Americans, and they do not condone any other substances for religious use including ayahuasca or cannabis. Here is an additional excerpt saying such (I would recommend reading the whole statement, they state their position pretty clearly):

Quote:
Appellants’ claims regarding cannabis depart quite starkly from the religious beliefs and practices of the NACNA regarding peyote. By their own description, Appellants’ use of entheogens does not appear to be geared toward any particular or identifiable set of religious values. Appellants promote the use of several, apparently interchangeable entheogens, such as Ayahuasca, Cannabis, Kava, San Pedro, and Tsi-Ahga, without articulating the religious origins or significance of any of them.

I would be very, very careful how I approach this. There are many self-dubbed NAC groups in the US and Canada and many of them have absolutely no ties to the authentic NAC. Please be cautious of any sort of "pay-to-pray" ceremonies/religions; and please be conscious of how indigenous peoples feel about the use of their sacraments by outsiders, regardless of how well intentioned you might be.

Again, I'm sorry to be such a downer. Perhaps I've drawn the wrong conclusion here, but from what I can tell the NAC and the Native community has made their stance pretty clear on this subject and specifically in regards to this group. I'm not sure it's wise or respectful to ignore that. If anyone thinks otherwise and has evidence supporting their authenticity I would love to hear it, but there is a lot of info online about this group and most all of it seems to point to the same conclusion; eg that they have no authority to call themselves NAC and sell indigenous ceremonies.

I'm sorry. Sad I know this isn't going to make me the most popular person round these parts but I think it's really important to be aware of these things. Our actions, no matter the intention, have real world consequences and there are a lot of indigenous people who are frankly quite fed up with their ceremonies and sacraments being exploited in this manner. I don't want to speak for them, but a quick foray through google should reveal that they've been adamantly speaking out about this for quite some time.

For further reference, here is a directory of authentic branches and affiliates of the Native American Church. Neither the Oklevueha NAC or the Mooneys are listed.

Obviously I could be wrong here, and I don't mean to discourage anyone or make them feel bad. But unfortunately "plastic shamans" are real and they can be pretty convincing, especially if they are genuinely well intentioned. I'll end here and just say that I would be cautious and tread lightly.
"Consciousness grows in spirals." --George L. Jackson

If you can just get your mind together, then come across to me. We'll hold hands and then we'll watch the sunrise from the bottom of the sea...
But first, are you experienced?

Once
#15 Posted : 4/7/2015 10:54:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The following is from a link on the ONAC website:Rolling eyes

“The listing of peyote as a controlled substance in Schedule I, does not apply to the non drug use of peyote in bona fide religious ceremonies of the Native American Church, and members of the Native American Church”

TITLE 21 – FOOD AND DRUGS
CHAPTER II – DRUG ENFORCEMENT ADMINISTRATION, DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE
PART 1307 – MISCELLANEOUS
1307.31 – Native American Church.
The listing of peyote as a controlled substance in Schedule I, does not apply to the non drug use of peyote in bona fide religious ceremonies of the Native American Church, and members of the Native American Church so using peyote are exempt from registration. Any person who manufactures peyote for or distributes peyote to the Native American Church, however, is required to obtain registration annually and to comply with all other requirements of law.

The part that concerns me is is the last sentence-

"Any person who manufactures peyote for or distributes peyote to the Native American Church, however, is required to obtain registration annually and to comply with all other requirements of law."

To me, this sounds like members can participate in ceremonies and possess, but perhaps need to register in order to cultivate. It could also be interpreted that the registration only applies to non church members who are growing/supplying for the church?

MaNoMaNoM
#16 Posted : 4/8/2015 5:31:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

i appreciate the realistic view you added Praxis. good to get the whole picture.

Though the way i see it, ONAC can be a legal protection for spiritual practices.
it's the only legal protection i know of in the USA besides Santo Daime, or UDV,
which are aloud ayahuasca, but ONAC are possibly allowed all natural entheogens.
Think of it as Christianity, some catholics would unapologetic denounce baptist,
presbyterians would denounce episcopalians.. Also the original NACs already have
won most battles over peyote, and so it is wise of them to officially denounce a
new ONAC, even if they secretly support them or not, i think it's a legal issue.

Perhaps the Nexus can get a legal team, and we can register our own religion.
*ALL WAYS WITH LOVE

Praxis.
#17 Posted : 4/8/2015 5:59:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

You bring up some solid points and really good questions.

I have a few things I have to get done today so I'm going to reflect on your words to let it all sink in a bit before I respond.

I just wanna say that this exact issue has been on my mind for a really long time now and I've been struggling with it. I've been looking for an opportunity to bring it up but I've been hesitant because I know it's a sensitive issue and I don't like being the guy who makes everyone feel like they have to walk on eggshells. So I just wanna say I appreciate your willingness to engage and if at any point you feel like I've crossed some sort of line please just let me know. Smile

Quote:
Perhaps the Nexus can get a legal team, and we can register our own religion

I thought we worship Kikker?

Razz

If you can just get your mind together, then come across to me. We'll hold hands and then we'll watch the sunrise from the bottom of the sea...

WEM
#18 Posted : 4/8/2015 6:03:32 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Yeah, we would call it: Nexusism, the religion of the entheogens. All plant based entheogens (extracted included) would be considered sacred medicines and each would have their own sacred ceremonies... I've often wondered how easy/difficult it would be to start a new religion which uses entheogenic plants as sacraments, because it seems to me that the religions which currently have these exemptions (Santo Daime, UDV, NAC) are all exempt because of a 'grandfather clause', like they were around before the drug laws were enacted so it's hard to argue that they sprung up just to make exemption status.... but oh no! If one were to start a new religion since the dawn of these draconian drug laws, the prosecutors would have a much easier time making the "They're only doing this 'religion' to make themselves exempt for their petty drug usage" argument without actually giving us an understandable chance at religious freedom. What a challenging road we have ahead.
A dramatic shift approaches...

Praxis.
#19 Posted : 4/9/2015 4:06:51 AM

DMT-Nexus member

So many big brains here! Big grin

I've got a lot to consider here but I'm going to do my best to respond to each point to the best of my ability. This is an absolutely massive post and I apologize, I'm not trying to overwhelm anyone here. I tried to condense it as much as I could but I feel like there's just too much to say. Please bare with me, I tried to write this up fairly quickly so some of my thoughts might jump around a bit. This will be revised over the next day or two but I'm hoping that any responses to this post will foster conversation that will help to elaborate on and clarify some of the following points.

Quote:
From Wikipedia:
Quote:
Racial politics, i.e., whether non-natives can participate in peyote ceremonies, is a highly contentious issue that has been at the forefront of the peyote community for a long time. Looking at two current, major NAC chapters in the United States showcases this dichotomy: the Native American Church of the United States, the original umbrella incorporated church birthed in 1918 from which many other chapters are tied to, allows non-natives to participate, in regulation with state law. On the other hand, the Native American Church of North America, incorporated much later in the 1950s, only allows Native Americans with a 1/4 Indian blood quantum and CIB certificate to participate (Omer Stewart - Peyote Religion).

James Warren ‘Flaming Eagle’ Mooney is the grandson of James ‘Jamie’ Harvey Mooney.
Regarding the latter:
Quote:
James Mooney later, with the aid of other Smithsonian Institute personnel, stood up successfully in congress against the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) who was trying to instigate the Peyote Law that was designed to outlaw the American Native Spirituality. After successfully defeating this racist and illegal proposed law by the BIA and Secretary of Interior, James Mooney, along with his long time friend (who by then was deceased) Comanche Chief Quanah Parker persuaded Oklahoma American Native Spiritual Leaders to incorporate Oklevueha Native American Church of Oklahoma, with the intent to give First amendment protection to the American Native Culture. James Mooney drafted the by-laws for the Native American Church of Oklahoma that was incorporated in 1918.

More information here as well.

Quote:
Regarding the quotes above, it paints an interesting picture for the history of the church and the strange grounds of the differing viewpoints. The first and original NAC was established in 1918. Keep in the mind the cultural and political climate around Native Americans at this time, the Bureau of Indian Affairs was seeking to outlaw all native spiritual practices. James Mooney (The grandfather of the James Mooney who currently heads ONAC) had "witnessed" (read participated in) native ceremonies and understood the value of in these practices and fought it out in congress to allow Native peoples the right to practice their traditions. He was instrumental in establishing the first and original NAC and it likely would not have occurred at all without his assistance, at this time a white man had a lot more political clout in these issues than a native. This being the case, one can ponder the question of lineage and whether or not Mooney has as much right to the title of NAC as do the indigenous peoples of North America who's traditional practices the church was implemented to protect.

The first thing that really stuck out to me was the statement that "James Mooney, along with his long time friend (who by then was deceased) Comanche Chief Quanah Parker persuaded Oklahoma American Native Spiritual Leaders to incorporate Oklevueha Native American Church of Oklahoma..."

This might be a matter of semantics, but I'm wondering how Mooney could have worked with Chief Quanah in order to persuade spiritual leaders to incorporate ONAC when Quanah was deceased at the time? How could Quanah have been part of this process? I've also been looking pretty hard for other sources that cite a connection between Quanah and ONAC and I haven't found any aside from the claim on ONACs website (not to say that they aren't out there, I just can't seem to find them). I understand that Chief Quanah and Mooney were friends but Quanah was reportedly no longer alive at the time that ONAC became a recognized Church. I'm also wondering about the claim that Mooney is responsible for writing the by-laws of the NAC at the time that it was officially incorporated. If this is the case (assuming the information on the ONAC website is accurate) then I find it unsettling that it was a white person who wrote the policy which determines whether or not outsiders could participate in these ceremonies.

And to elaborate on your own words:
Quote:
This being the case, one can ponder the question of lineage and whether or not Mooney has as much right to the title of NAC as do the indigenous peoples of North America who's traditional practices the church was implemented to protect

I don't think that gives him a right at all. If he had the express permission of indigenous people then that is one thing, but I don't think that simply because he did a good thing he is automatically entitled to claim the NAC. He was someone who had a lot of power over marginalized people, and he decided to use that power for something positive. That's great, good for him. But doing something good just because you want access to something doesn't sit right with me. Doing the right thing for the wrong reasons doesn't justify the reasoning. The ends do not justify the means.

Now I'll concede the fact that so far my points have been speculative. To be honest I don't know much about the full history of the NAC and I wasn't aware of the divide between the two. I've been looking and I can't find any more reference to this divide, with the exception of the elusive quote on wikipedia that you provided. Do you have any more information about this? And just to clarify, (because sometimes it can be hard to tell if someone is being sarcastic on the internet) I'm not trying to be snarky here. I would absolutely love any more info that you have which specifically pertains to how the original NAC regards the issue of race/appropriation as opposed to the post-1950's NAC.

Quote:
The implications of this policy are interesting to examine however, since only members of US federally recognized tribes are allowed to participate in ceremony this would exclude the Huichol and Tarahumara peoples of Mexico who, according to historical records, have a much longer and more established relationship with peyote than the tribes of North America. Likewise, these policies would exclude the First Nations peoples of Canada. Fortunately both these groups have protections under their countries governments for peyote use. A visiting ayhuascero from South America would be prohibited from participating in a ceremony with NACNA but the grandson of a Navajo who was born in Europe would be allowed to participate in ceremony. The policy of NACNA is racist in the truest sense of the term, and while somewhat understandable in the cultural climate of the 1950's when it was established, in the 21st century it's simply backwards and archaic.

I have to ask, why would US law protect someone in Mexico or Canada? The US government only recognizes its own borders, it does not recognize the ties between different indigenous groups who are separated by these borders; it has never recognized the sovereignty of the nations which existed here long before expansion...Mexico used to be nearly twice the size that it is today, and now entire cultures and communities are separated by an artificial border between Mexico and the so called United States. If the purpose of the NAC is an attempt to decriminalize the use of peyote for Native Americans, they have to fight for that right in the US courts within the framework that the federal government provides. And the federal government is going to make a ruling that only applies to those within the borders that it recognizes. It doesn't recognize the connection between Canadian natives and those in the northern territories of the States, and by its own authority it doesn't have to. Why would the US government give Canadians the right to take peyote if they are citizens of a different country? I believe that to be a "federally recognized" Native American by the US government means that you're affiliated with a culture/tribe that resides in the United States. From what I understand (and correct me if I'm wrong), the US government doesn't recognize Canadian or Mexican indigenous peoples as federally recognized Native Americans because they aren't within US borders. This isn't a decision of the NAC. From what I can see they have to work with what they are given, and I would venture a guess that there are many within the NAC who are frustrated by the bureaucracy of it all.

Furthermore, I don't think it's racist by any stretch for indigenous people to protect their own culture. To illustrate why I think this I want to explore some history.

Like most things in history, we tend to think of the past as a distinct period of time. The past is just the past, we can forget it now because now it is the present. We don't think of historical events as connected and we don't see our current structures, institutions, and culture as a culmination and continuation of history. I think Snozz said it well here:
Quote:
Atrocities are ongoing, they have not passed.

The importance of acknowledging our differences is that it gives us the ability to identify the atrocities, locate our shared strengths, support each other's weaknesses. As long as we pretend that everything is unified and we have transcended hitory (and present), we will be unable to take action against that which is currently destroying us.

The socio-political landscape in which we live is not even ground and it is not static. We could think of this landscape like a topographical map, it has high points and low points. The high/low points are geographical formations which have arisen out of the conditions of the past. All of the formations we see on the map exist as a result of ongoing relationships which are constantly in flux. Likewise, we live in a world defined by power-relations. Instead of living on a flat world in which everyone can see each-other at eye level, we live in a world where some of us are sitting atop the highest mountains, protected by our height advantage, while everyone else is stuck at the base of the mountains. Not at all of us chose this position, but nonetheless we inherited positions of power as a result of the cumulative events of history. The terrain is continuing to change, but it's not going to even itself out if we keep ignoring the fact that the ground is not even in the first place. We can't disregard that our perspective of the world is from the top of a mountain looking down. We have to acknowledge the conditions that led to the formation of the mountain, and we have to acknowledge that our perspective of the world from atop the mountain is not the same as the people at the bottom. Any action that we take which does not take our height advantage into account is only going to create further disparity between the people at the top and those at the bottom. If we don't understand why we can't hope to figure out how.

Native American people are still here. They are still fighting. This is still their land and we are still colonizers. Over the course of the last 500 years or so, indigenous people have had their land and culture stripped away from them by force. They have had to fight tooth and nail for each aspect of the traditions that they still retain, all the while having to cope with the implications of being assimilated into colonial culture. Native people were taken from their families and shipped off to boarding schools where they were subjected to unspeakable abuse. The purpose of these schools was to strip indigenous children of their traditional culture and instill into them the values of dominant society. The last of these schools was shut down in the 1990's. Yeah...the 1990's.

To this day, Native people are struggling with continued dislocation, poverty, disproportional arrest and incarceration, and unemployment. When Native people engage in their traditional practices, they are doing so in a context which brings together community and instills a sense of pride and self determination. The practices are meant to empower communities to be resilient in the face of a racist mainstream society which continues to marginalize them. When these traditions are taken out of context, particularly by dominant culture, the practices and culture become diluted. The more that these traditions become assimilated into the mainstream the more they strip indigenous people of their self-identity and self-determination as a people. Spiritual traditions like peyote ceremonies are a small part of an entire cultural-matrix which emphasizes the inseparable relationship between community and land, and when they are removed from this matrix they can create harm not only to Native people but to those who are seeking their practices for spiritual purposes. When you strip these ceremonies of their cultural context you also strip them of their meaning; you cannot separate the two. Native people absolutely have every right to determine who can or who cannot participate in their traditions when their culture and well-being is at stake.

When we take these traditions for our own use, whether we have permission or not, I think e need to ask what we are giving back. In light of the fact that Native peoples are still oppressed by colonization, why should they offer us their medicines when we aren't giving anything in return? We are happy to take their traditions so that we might better ourselves, but what are we doing about our status as settlers on colonized land? What are we doing to uplift our Native brothers and sisters? How are we challenging the status quo which allows us to take without giving back in the first place, which oppresses the people who we are taking knowledge from? How are our actions different from the pattern of systematic extermination and assimilation that Native people have been fighting since 1492? In short, if we expect for this medicine to be shared freely, what are we offering in return?

So here you might be thinking that not all Native people are opposed to sharing their traditional knowledge and you're absolutely right about that. I was previously unaware of the distinction between the NACNA and the original NAC and it's something I need to learn more about. But with this in mind I want to make the point that I don't think it's respectful to pick and choose those people who are most friendly to your own personal desires. I think this especially true in the cases where there is a strong presence of Natives who are critical of sharing their traditional knowledge with outsiders. IMO, being supportive and respectful means acknowledging that the community is divided by this issue. It is critical to recognize those voices which might not be supportive of your desires. Culture and community is complicated; we can't just waltz in and demand something and then expect everybody to agree unanimously. And I don't think we, as outsiders, have a right to decide for an entire community on the pretense that some of them don't mind. A community having self-determination means it can make decisions for itself, and if a community is divided then I think we need to acknowledge that there are boundaries, and we need to give the community space to work the issue out amongst itself.

To provide an analogy, call to mind the rules which the DMT Nexus has established for new members. We have certain protocol which we expect new members to follow. We expect when people come to the DMT Nexus that they acknowledge that DMT is an incredibly powerful drug and it should not be taken lightly. We expect for them to educate themselves properly about extraction methods, techniques for administration, and we expect that they will respect moderators and those who clearly have extensive knowledge and experience pertaining to DMT. We take these expectations, and our unquestioned right to enforce them, for granted.

Quote:
We demand respect for our territories, our indigenous medicine and our traditional healers or Taitas. We ask the world to acknowledge that our medicine is also a science, although not in the same way Westerners understand it. We, the Taitas, are real healers and for many centuries we have effectively contributed to the health of our villages. Furthermore, our medicine looks beyond the physical and seeks the wellbeing of the mind, the heart and the spirit.
Source: UMIYAC Declaration

If you read the quote above it is clear that the Taitas of the Amazon are very clearly expressing their right to self-determination. If we say we respect the cultures from which Ayahuasca comes from, how can ignore their right to self-determination? How can we ignore the customs and practices that they have established in regards to the proper handling of sacred medicines? They have been using it for thousands of years and all they are asking is for us to acknowledge that we can't just waltz in, take it, and pretend we know better than they do about how to use it.

This is exactly why some parts of the forum are off-limits to new members, because the DMT Nexus recognizes that when someone comes to this website and then misuses DMT it implicates the Nexus in a negative way. We want to control how our community is seen and how we present ourselves, so we don't share everything here with just anybody. People have to prove that they are accountable and responsible before we trust them. This is self-determination, which we at the DMT Nexus have the privilege of possessing without even having to think twice about. It's a great thing when we have it, but when marginalized groups of people fight for the same right to self-determination we call them racist and exclusive.

And this is what I mean by saying the terrain is not even ground. The 21st century is built off of the same system that colonized the Americas 500 years ago. We are still at the top of the mountain looking down at everybody else.

Phew.....ok I'm almost there. Rolling eyes

Quote:
It's the opposition to the ongoing push of capitalism into indigenous culture. The young people on the rez or in the village may be more interested in ipods and levi's than in ancestral languages and botanical healing, but there is an endless line of disillusioned gringos who want nothing more than to sit at the feet of the maestro and learn the songs and the stories to help restore and reconnect their tribe and their village to the wisdom path. The next generation of curers may be fair skinned but they may be the only hope for the last 10,000 generations of wisdom to find their way to the next 10,000 generations.

See my comments regarding assimilation and identity. What is left of Native culture when those practicing its traditions are mostly white people? What would it mean to be a Native person in such an environment? Why do you think that indigenous youth is more attracted to dominant culture than their own traditions? Does this give others the right to claim this culture?

Quote:
I say it's time stop dividing ourselves up and to begin to let go of the atrocities of the past. We are all in this together and we are becoming increasingly more connected into one global village. On one hand it is extremely important we preserve the ancient wisdom traditions as much as possible, because as amazing as google is, it cannot replace the 300,000 years of human experience in our collective cultural memory. On the other hand, we cannot remain rooted in the past, for example the finer points of hunting dodo through the forests of Mauritius isn't exactly pertinent to our current cultural predicament, so it's important we begin to forge our own traditions relevant to the world we find ourselves in. It's time for the scientist to sit with the shaman, it's time for the ancient wisdom keepers and sit with the upstarting technological innovators, it's time to integrate the wisdom of the past with the technology of the future into the vision of a new planetary civilization.

Again, I don't think we can do anything about the future if we don't take the past into account. We wouldn't be where we are now if it weren't for things done in the past, and things done in the past are reverberating into the present.

I agree with what you said here about forging our own traditions. And I think that means a lot of things. For one, I think it means recognizing that as a white person you have European ancestors who have wisdom to offer. You have your own roots, your own Earth traditions, and they are valid and just as relevant to the world as any Native American Earth religion. Because of the slave trade I unfortunately don't know too much about my ancestors, but I can make educated guesses and I can work to bring alive the vision of various African traditions. We are all looking for truth in a world that seems meaningless, but we can't take that truth from other people without their consent and we can't force people to share with us if they aren't ready to do it.

As we all know, DMT and psychedelic compounds are almost everywhere in nature. I don't see why we so often feel the need to reach out and grab peyote and ayahuasca simply because it's within our grasp. To me it means a lot more to connect with plant spirits that are connected to my culture and my ancestors, that are native to the ground upon which I stand. This might mean more research and harder work, but I think that the authenticity of it all will be rewarding inofitself. After all is it not authenticity that we're all seeking in a culture that gets more plastic by the day?

Now don't get me wrong, this doesn't mean that we can never learn about other cultural perspectives...but I think we need to be careful how we choose to integrate that knowledge into our own practices. Appreciating Buddhism or Hinduism from a Western perspective doesn't mean you can't meditate, but maybe think twice about wearing traditional clothing or symbols. I personally don't have a problem if a white person wants to learn about African spirituality and culture; but it makes my skin crawl when I see white folks with Ankh tattoos who may also happen to be wearing kente cloth and/or the proverbial red, yellow, and green; as if these things are a brand that erase your social privilege and somehow make you "exotic" or further removed from the exploitation of Africa. It doesn't matter if you've done your research and you're only trying to "respect the culture". When you're offending people and attacking their sense of self-identity you are not being respectful.

I want to try and wrap it up here....

In response to:
Quote:
Do Native Americans own peyote? Do natives of the Amazon own ayahausca? Do natives of Africa own Iboga?

Yes, they do. And they've been pretty vocal about their right to intellectual property:

Quote:
There are those who take our seeds to patent them, to own them. Others want to declare yagé a narcotic plant and prohibit its use for the good of humanity. We also denounce those anthropologists, botanists, business people, doctors and other scientists who are experimenting with yagé and other medicinal and sacred plants without taking into account our ancestral wisdom and our collective intellectual property rights...

...We declare that yagé and other medicinal plants we use are the patrimony and collective property of the indigenous people. It’s use in the name of mankind must be carried out with our participation and we should enjoy any other benefits that derive from its exploitation.

It might not be what you want to hear but being a good ally doesn't mean that we get everything we want. It doesn't mean that we have to agree. If we want to be allies it means respecting that other cultures have worldviews that don't fit into a modern, 21st century, white, neo-liberal box.

Again...what are we bringing to the table? How are we being accountable? How are we giving room for indigenous people to participate in their own self-determination? Just like we expect outsiders to be behave a certain way when they come to the Nexus, how might be we expected to behave when we seek out knowledge from indigenous cultures?

Quote:
If retreat center X brings in Don Maestro Curandero from upriver to hold a paid ceremony for a bunch of Gringos is that disrespectful of indigenous culture?

Who owns the retreat center? Who is the Curandero acting on behalf of, on who's authority?

Quote:
If ONAC has a trained and initiated Lakota medicine man freely dispense peyote in the tipi to their membership is that disrespectful to indigenous culture?

Again, just because some Native people don't mind sharing I personally don't feel comfortable disregarding the concerns of the rest of the community. The Lakota medicine man could very well be pissing off a lot of people in his community and they are just as representative of the culture.

Quote:
If I go to a yoga class at the fancy new yoga center down-town am I being disrespectful to Vedic culture?

If I practice mindfulness based therapy with my psychologist is that being disrespectful to Buddhist culture?

I feel like I touched on this already, but I think it depends on a lot of circumstances. Who is teaching the yoga class? Are they simply teaching yogic poses/stretches or are they claiming to be a spiritual teacher? I personally don't feel qualified to answer this but I will say that there are a lot of different opinions and you might be surprised by what you hear. I'd suggest this blog for questions pertaining to Eastern spirituality.

Quote:
One of the things that makes STS so great, imo, is that it presents a peer-to-peer model for obtaining/working with these plants. Is it possible to accuse STS of engaging in biopiracy? Sure, but no one is actually deriving profit or exploiting people outright via the STS network. While indigenous farmers/wildcrafters may not be gaining anything from this trading of plants used traditionally where they are from, no one is actually exploiting an indigenous workforce for wage labor, selling herbal compounds at increased markups, or generally contributing to the commodification of these plants. For me, that is significant when compared to the general landscape of online vendors and people from the global north flocking to Latin and South America to open up "retreat centers" and other businesses.

STS is an incredible resource, and you're right that it circumvents any kind of physical exploitation of indigenous workers. But what about the effects of assimilation? When dominant society has integrated indigenous traditions into its own paradigm, what is left of the Native people? On what do they base their cultural identity? I think that before we start trying to assimilate these medicines into a Western framework, we need to do a lot of back-peddling and undo some of the damage that has already been done. Which leads me to my next and final point.

I don't disagree that we all have a right to pursue a connection with the Earth, with the universe, with reality. We are all seeking meaning in our lives. But harm has been done. We cannot go forward until we reconcile with the past. If we lived in a perfect world, in which the playing field was level, then I think it would be easy to say that we all have a right to experience these medicines. But we don't. We don't live in a world that's anywhere near functional, and so if we would like the opportunity to one day work with these medicines it is my belief that we need to start repairing our relationships with the people who are being harmed right now. Until we restore those relationships we cannot expect the people we've marginalized to just forgive and forget. They are still dealing with colonization. They don't owe us anything. I think that with healing comes reconciliation, and we can't work towards healing until we've reconciled with the fact that we've inflicted a deep wound that needs attention.

Wooooh....okay I think I'm done. I'm sure there are things I'm forgetting to mention and things I didn't explain as well as I would have hoped, but I am pretty sick of writing this and I want to hang out in chat. Razz

Let me just end by saying that I am speaking for myself here, and how I've come to understand things. There are a lot of things I'm not knowledgeable about and I don't want to give the impression that I'm trying to speak for Native people. A lot of these questions I don't have the knowledge or authority to answer, but I would encourage folks to look around and do some digging; this isn't a new topic and people have been talking about it for a long time. Indigenous people on this side of the world been standing up and speaking out since 1492, and to be frank I'm not really sure what else to say about it. For me it boils down to a personal choice. Do I ignore the wishes of people who feel they have been harmed by my participation in these ceremonies or do I hold myself accountable for my actions? These are of course my own personal sentiments and I understand every person reading this has their own choices to make and their own outlooks on life. I can't tell you what is right or wrong and I can't judge you for your decisions, but the best I can hope to do is offer a perspective you may not have considered in the hopes that we might come to collectively reduce the amount of harm that we do (and we all do harm) as a community. I firmly believe that we cannot move forward until we have reconciled with the harm that has been done. We need to be humble if we wish to reconcile. We need to be open and honest, unafraid of getting our hands dirty, and courageous in the way that we choose to engage with the world.

I know I've linked it a few times now, but I want to post the UMIYAC declaration for folks to read. To keep the size of this post manageable I'll just include their main points and not the intro or conclusion. The Taitas acknowledge that the world can benefit from this medicine, this isn't the issue though. They want to be a part of the process and they want their traditions and knowledge respected. It has to be on their own terms, not on ours, and before they are willing to share there needs to be a process of reconciliation and accountability. I highly recommend that everyone reads these words and considers how their own actions relate to the wishes expressed herein: (This post is too big so the quote will be a separate post)

Praxis.
#20 Posted : 4/9/2015 4:10:59 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
1. Here in the foothills of Amazonia, indigenous groups still survive, and we have inherited from our ancestors great wisdom, our medicinal plants, with the knowledge of our forests and the use of the sacred vine: the yagé.

2. We consider yagé, our medicinal plants and our wisdom to be gifts from God and of great benefit for the health of humanity. This Gathering may be our last opportunity to unite and defend our rights. Our motivation is not economic or political. We are seriously determined to demonstrate to the world the importance of our values. As sons of the same Creator and brothers and sisters on Mother Earth, we wish to speak, to offer our contribution so that life, peace and health may be possible.

3. Non-indigenous people are finally acknowledging the importance of our wisdom and the value of our medicinal and sacred plants. Many of them profane our culture and our territories by commercializing yagé and other plants; dressing like Indians and acting like charlatans. We see with concern that a new type of tourism is being promoted which deceives the foreigners with so-called “services of Taitas or shamans” in a number of villages of the foothills. Indeed, even some of our own indigenous brothers do not respect the value or our medicine and go around misleading people, selling our symbols in towns and cities.

4. There are those who take our seeds to patent them, to own them. Others want to declare yagé a narcotic plant and prohibit its use for the good of humanity. We also denounce those anthropologists, botanists, business people, doctors and other scientists who are experimenting with yagé and other medicinal and sacred plants without taking into account our ancestral wisdom and our collective intellectual property rights.

5. We denounce the abuse committed against our Tatuyo brothers from the Yapú area of the Vaupes, who in transit to the Gathering were held by the authorities and dispossessed of the yagé they were bringing to ceremonially share at the Gathering.

6. We demand respect for our territories, our indigenous medicine and our traditional healers or Taitas. We ask the world to acknowledge that our medicine is also a science, although not in the same way Westerners understand it. We, the Taitas, are real healers and for many centuries we have effectively contributed to the health of our villages. Furthermore, our medicine looks beyond the physical and seeks the wellbeing of the mind, the heart and the spirit.

7. We demand the immediate suspension of the patent Loren Miller was awarded in the United States. For us, the patent represents an abuse and a defilement of our sacred plant. We declare that yagé and other medicinal plants we use are the patrimony and collective property of the indigenous people. It’s use in the name of mankind must be carried out with our participation and we should enjoy any other benefits that derive from its exploitation.

8. We ask for legal recognition of our autonomy in caring for the health of our peoples in accordance with our traditions and values.

9. We must regain possession of our territories and sacred sites. The forest is for us the fountain of our resources. If the forests disappear so will medicine and life.

10. We request support for our cause. Non-indigenous people can help us consolidate our unity and the defense of our traditional medicine, as it has been proven that they also benefit from the wisdom of the Taitas.

11. At the end of the Gathering, we agreed to work toward the unity and defense of our traditional medicine and offer our services for the health of indigenous people and of humanity.

12. The Taitas agree to initiate a process of certification of practicing healers and establish our own code of indigenous medical ethics. In this way it will be able to distinguish between real Taitas and charlatans.

13. We are also willing to travel in order to bring the benefits of our medicine to indigenous communities in Colombia and other parts of America upon request. Conscious of the fact that non-Indians also need our services as doctors, we propose the construction of Indigenous Medicine Clinics so they may have easier access and in conditions better suited to the way in which we work, always closely linked to nature.

14. The Taitas present at the Gathering have decided to formally create the Union of Traditional Yagé Healers of the Colombian Amazon (UMIYAC) and name our own representatives to carry out the various tasks to which we are committed and to represent us before the world, governments and other institutions.

"They love our culture but don't love us. Never forget that."

12NEXT