We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
123NEXT»
Is there a list of all these abbreviations and their meanings somewhere? Options

MealeaYing
#1 Posted : 8/3/2014 6:02:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi everyone!

I have been reading all sorts of stuff here and have run into a slight snag, even after reading things like the FAQ I still have no idea what a lot of things mean, some I have picked up; MG means Morning Glory.... or MilliGram... I think.... right?
UhOh... See?
But what for example does TEK stand for?
I tried searching for this stuff and came up empty so I figured I should ask as a lot of things need to be clear like the difference between MG and mg.
So...
Is there a list somewhere?

Cheers! And thanks!
Mealea
(-_-) {I do not know what I am doing, but I am doing it anyway)

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

MealeaYing
#2 Posted : 8/3/2014 7:55:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ok....
I found out what tek means and now I am more confused than ever:

Angiopoietin-1 receptor is a protein that in humans is encoded by the TEK gene. TEK has also recently been designated CD202B. The TEK receptor tyrosine kinase is expressed almost exclusively in endothelial cells in mice, rats, and humans.

I think what I will do as I learn about this stuff is compile my own list of abbreviations and when its big enough, or preferable useful enough I will post it.
So I think disregard my earlier question, I have looked very thoroughly (I think anyway, its a big site so I may have missed something) and I don't think there currently is such a list.

DansMaTete
#3 Posted : 8/3/2014 8:29:19 PM

[insert something smart/deep here]

Is it TEK like "extraction tek" ? In this case tek is just for technic.
If not, i don't know.

And yeah, MG is for morning glory cause miligram is mg.
« I love the smell of boiling MHRB in the morning »

universecannon
#4 Posted : 8/3/2014 8:30:40 PM

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

https://wiki.dmt-nexus.me/Category:Extraction_Tek

mg usually means milligram here, unless the conversation is obviously about morning glories

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

obliguhl
#5 Posted : 8/3/2014 8:48:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

http://en.wikipedia.org/...al_ecological_knowledge

Quote:
Traditional ecological knowledge (TEK) describes aboriginal, indigenous, or other forms of traditional knowledges regarding sustainability of local resources. TEK refers to "a cumulative body of knowledge, belief, and practice, evolving by accumulation of TEK and handed down through generations through traditional songs, stories and beliefs. [It concerns] the relationship of living beings (including human) with their traditional groups and with their environment."

benzyme
#6 Posted : 8/3/2014 9:16:05 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

Quote:
Angiopoietin-1 receptor is a protein that in humans is encoded by the TEK gene. TEK has also recently been designated CD202B. The TEK receptor tyrosine kinase is expressed almost exclusively in endothelial cells in mice, rats, and humans.

in that context, TEK is a kinase, a protein which transfers a phosphate group.

http://www.genenames.org...bol_report?hgnc_id=11724
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Poads
#7 Posted : 8/3/2014 9:50:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I always thought TEK was short for technique. Like a technique for growing mushrooms or a technique for extracting DMT. It works interchangeably for me...
POADS is gone!

MealeaYing
#8 Posted : 8/3/2014 11:20:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ahha.
Ok, so TEK is sort of a few things, its a technique, traditional ecological knowledge, and a set of instructions (right?). I knew the instruction part, but what was getting me was the inability to figure out what it stands for.... Now I see its sort of evolved in meaning over time perhaps.
Thats language for you and perhaps I need to be careful when googling definitions..
I like the wikipedia article a lot, the bit about scientific ecological knowledge vs traditional ecological knowledge got me laughing.
Thanks for the links you guys, thats terrific and while I read the one on the wiki here I didn't connect having done so to my question.
Its going to be entertaining as I dig into this stuff more trying to remember how many mg of MG are needed for something comparable to MJ.

Thanks you guys!

Cheers!
Mealea

benzyme
#9 Posted : 8/3/2014 11:23:57 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

you're still confused..

in that quote you posted, TEK is a protein.
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

MealeaYing
#10 Posted : 8/4/2014 2:09:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

benzyme wrote:
you're still confused..
in that quote you posted, TEK is a protein.

You are correct, I am confused still but not about that, I figured that one out (with your help) and the idea that using Google (where I got that quote) to look up things that might be like slang could be a poor idea.
I think I am not going to be making anything for a long while until I know that what I think I know is correct. Also Google will have to mind its own business, something its not famous for.

I should still make the list I was describing, Im absentminded and this stuff is complicated.

Guyomech
#11 Posted : 8/4/2014 2:16:43 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Oil painting, Acrylic painting, Digital and multimedia art, Trip integration

Try these for starters:

TEK (all caps) a protein (this will only come up in specialized conversations)
Tek (other uses) technique; technology. At this forum it generally refers to extraction methodologies.
mg - milligram
MG (in context) morning glory; again, this will come up in specific discussions only.
ug - microgram
MJ - marijuana

And some forum slangese:
AFAIK - as far as I know
IMO - in my opinion
IMHO - in my humble opinion

And of course our old friend SWIM - someone who is me ... Or someone who isn't me. The waters get muddy here. We generally discourage SWIMming.

I'd like to invite the other mods to edit this post to fill it out if you'd like.

Entheogenerator
#12 Posted : 8/4/2014 2:28:49 AM

Homo discens

Guyomech wrote:
Try these for starters:

TEK (all caps) a protein (this will only come up in specialized conversations)
Tek (other uses) technique; technology. At this forum it generally refers to extraction methodologies.
mg - milligram
MG (in context) morning glory; again, this will come up in specific discussions only.
ug - microgram
MJ - marijuana

And some forum slangese:
AFAIK - as far as I know
IMO - in my opinion
IMHO - in my humble opinion

And of course our old friend SWIM - someone who is me ... Or someone who isn't me. The waters get muddy here. We generally discourage SWIMming.

I'd like to invite the other mods to edit this post to fill it out if you'd like.

I would also add:
IIRC - If I remember/recall correctly
IME - In my experience

And a few more abbreviations for commonly used units of measurement
L - Liter
ml - milliliter
kg - kilogram
... and so on.

I actually really like this thread, as I have not seen one like it on the forum. If people continue adding to the list, and we compile all the abbreviations and their respective definitions together, this could prove to be a very valuable resource for newcomers. Thumbs up

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an I" - Ringworm
Attitude PageHealth & SafetyFAQKnown Substance InteractionsExtraction TeksThe Machine

benzyme
#13 Posted : 8/4/2014 5:51:51 AM

analytical chemist

YMMV - your mileage may vary

obsolete and assinine:
UTFSE - use the f$&@ing search engine
SWIM - someone who isn't me

concentrations (chemistry):
mM - millimolar
mmol - millimoles

uM - micromolar
umol - micromoles

nM - nanomolar
nmol - nanomoles

boogerz
#14 Posted : 8/4/2014 7:14:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

try using google or urbandictionary

Here's a funny one from urbandictionary.com

tek-
to apply oneself obsessively to a task, esp. while on methamphetamine.

if you are going to tek your sterio all night I am going to bail.

Big grin

Cosmic Spore
#15 Posted : 8/4/2014 4:56:02 PM

☠ ⚡ ☣ ⚠ ☢

MAOI - Monoamine oxidase inhibitor
SSRI - Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor
RIMA - Reversible Inhibitor of Monoamine Oxidase A
ACRB - Acacia confusa root bark
MHRB - Mimosa hostilis root bark
SD - Salvia divinorum
TLC - Thin Layer Chromatography
GC-MS - Gas chromatography–mass spectrometry
NMT - N-Methyltryptamine
DMT - Dimethyltryptamine
CT - Conspiracy theory, conspiracy theorist
MD - Medical doctor

obliguhl
#16 Posted : 8/4/2014 7:15:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
in that context, TEK is a kinase, a protein which transfers a phosphate group.

I know what you are trying to say, but i do believe the "tek" we use comes from the ecological knowledge thing originally. As in: we are the tribe, learning how to extract these plants is our cultural, ecological knowledge...

I have no source for that though, others have claimed it before

MealeaYing
#17 Posted : 8/4/2014 7:55:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

This is GREAT!!!
Thank you all very much and please keep it up, I am compiling a list and its getting bigger already.
The best part is Im learning a lot and much faster than if I had to keep looking up the wrong things on google, this is going to be useful!

MealeaYing
#18 Posted : 8/6/2014 2:59:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ok....
I figure leaving the internet related ones for another thread or just another list in this thread would be good. Personally I never use them.
It would be helpful if I could embed HTML into these pages as I could do this in nice tables but so far it seems that that is not possible.

Heres what I have so far:
https://dl.dropboxuserco.../TheMeaningOfStuff.html

Actually I have more, its just VERY unformated and this is what I got out of this thread. Obviously its not complete.
Something I noticed right off doing this alphabetically is that things like measurements should go in order of size but alphabetical ordering scrambles that. Im not sure if that is important or not.
I realise that there are already tables for the various compounds of interest, those I will leave out as well since they would make this list insanely long. What I will include however is some of the chemicals and compounds used to create the actual desired compounds.
I think that makes sense, but suggestions are more than welcome as are corrections obviously.
Anyway if you have time let me know what you think and make any additions you can, swim will get right to work adding your stuff to the list.
Sorry, I couldn't resist, that is the first and last time I will use that!

Cheers!
Mealea

anrchy
#19 Posted : 8/6/2014 9:07:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

tl;dr - too long; didn't read
Open your Mind () Please read my DMT vaping guide () Fear is the mind killer

"Energy flows where attention goes"

[Please review the forum Wiki and FAQ before posting questions]

MealeaYing
#20 Posted : 8/6/2014 11:30:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Even longer, more to read:
https://dl.dropboxuserco.../TheMeaningOfStuff.html

I left out a whole chunk from Cosmic Spore, I am the most vapid airhead to ever forget..... wait....
what was I saying?

Anarchists are always in such a hurry.

I occurs to me that linking all of these to the wiki if they are in it would be a good thing to do.... tedious but good.
I suspect however that that little feat should be left for someone who knows the subject matter and the wiki itself better than I do, that or I can wait till I think I know what I am talking about. Sort of about the same time pigs fly in a frozen hell.

123NEXT»