We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Incredibly cold on pharma Options

denyr1
#1 Posted : 7/28/2014 11:05:56 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I have had 2 experiences with pharmahyuasca made from spice extracted from 100mg acacia accuminata bark and 3g syrian rue seeds. During the onset and up to the peak of the experience the temperature seems to drop rapidly. I get extremely cold but not shivering. Turning the heater up seems to alleviate the cold. Has anyone had similar experiences.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

obliguhl
#2 Posted : 7/28/2014 2:26:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes, this is very very common. In fact, i get it everytime. I always use a blanket, and even that isn't enough most of the time.

universecannon
#3 Posted : 7/28/2014 3:02:36 PM

โ˜‚

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

Yes, the worst was on snuffed DMT while on oral harmalas, by far. Once I calmed down it wasn't so bad though

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

denyr1
#4 Posted : 7/29/2014 3:04:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the replies @Obliguhl and @universecannon, it is definitely a strange feeling when what feels like the air temperature crashes around me.
Any thoughts on what causes this, I kinda relate it to what I have read about "spirits" entering a room and the air going cold. I also get the thought that I am not in the realm of what the general population call the land of the living.

Nathanial.Dread
#5 Posted : 8/16/2014 7:42:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

denyr1 wrote:
Thanks for the replies @Obliguhl and @universecannon, it is definitely a strange feeling when what feels like the air temperature crashes around me.
Any thoughts on what causes this, I kinda relate it to what I have read about "spirits" entering a room and the air going cold. I also get the thought that I am not in the realm of what the general population call the land of the living.

Forget about spirits, coldness is common on all serotonergic psychedelics because 5-HT receptor agonism causes pretty profound vasoconstriction. This keeps warm blood from getting to your skin and extremities, which in turn makes you feel cold. It's all related to activation of the sympathetic nervous system (which is also why your eyes dilate, it becomes difficult to urinate and erection/orgasm are next to impossible)

I personally get really cold on mushrooms. Never tried pharma though. On some LSD analogues, it can get so bad that gangrene develops.

Blessings
~ND
"There are many paths up the same mountain."

obliguhl
#6 Posted : 8/16/2014 7:51:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Well, but harmalas are vasodilators, no?
I also had pretty intense and painful vasoconstriction from one cebil seed and did not feel cold at all.

I think the "spirits entering the room" metaphor is a bit spooky but interesting. Not to say that there isn't a sound biophysical explanation for this effect.

Nathanial.Dread
#7 Posted : 8/16/2014 8:26:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I think it would depend on the degree of vasodilation generated by harmalas vs. vasoconstriction generated by the DMT. I can't find much on vasodilation from harmalas, I'll look into it more.

As for the cebil seed, it probably depends on your environment, to a degree. If you were in a warm sunny place, you might not get as cold. If the OP was lying in a dark room with the windows open, they're much more likely to get cold.
"There are many paths up the same mountain."

obliguhl
#8 Posted : 8/16/2014 8:57:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Well, with ayahuasca i get cold everytime and it does not matter how warm it is. I use a blanket in a warm room and it is still not enough. I've taken the cebil seed in the same roonm and did not feel cold at all.

The Vasodilative effects of harmalas is in Tihkal for instance ...

โ—‹
#9 Posted : 8/16/2014 9:43:08 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

I get pretty chilly as well. On time a few years back, I got so cold, that I crawled to my other room to grab my space heater, which i then proceeded to crawl back with it into the living room, plugged it in, sat in front of it for a good while (a rather big spaceheater at that), and it helped, but only to a small degree.

I found something though, within my last 3-4 oral experiences, that deep breathing and/or pranayama helped me tremendously in quelling the coldness brought on by the experience; like the taking of my awareness into the 'cold', impartially observing the cold, making room for it; and i guess in a particular sense, embracing it to a more or less degree, and that mixed with deep breathing and/or pranayama worked wonders, ime.

These breathing techniques/focused awareness also had helped many other specific aspects of my oral experiences, from nausea to coldness, to other more transcendental aspects.

starway6
#10 Posted : 8/16/2014 11:33:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

When you say cold..does that mean [you just feel cold]..or have uncontrolable shivering??

starway6
#11 Posted : 8/16/2014 11:36:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I mean [once in past].. I had the shivers for a few hours from food poisioning..but not from DMT ...atleast smoked dmt..havent tryed oral yet..

โ—‹
#12 Posted : 8/17/2014 4:04:30 AM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

Some will get cold on smoked DMT, mainly changa from what i've read. But the majority of people feeling cold is while on oral harmalas/DMT.

And not necessarily shivers, just the feeling of being cold, ime.

universecannon
#13 Posted : 8/17/2014 6:08:36 AM

โ˜‚

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

Nathanial.Dread wrote:
and erection/orgasm are next to impossible)

I dunno, I definitely have to disagree there Very happy

Can be tricky at times though, no doubt Wink

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

Orion
#14 Posted : 8/17/2014 2:49:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I find being cold to begin with doesn't help at all. When the tryptamines take effect I tend to notice it more, and it seems harder to warm up after the fact. Not sure what biological/psychological processes cause this, but getting warm before I dose seems to help.
Art Van D'lay wrote:
Smoalk. It. And. See.

some one
#15 Posted : 8/21/2014 12:59:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I get cold from changa, always. Shivers, the whole lot.

Usually I wear my thick double layer winter jacket while the heater is on. We call it the space suit cause it is super thick and has a huge hood to wrap your head in.

Last 80 mg 1:1 change hit I forgot to put it on. I got so cold I thought I was going to die. Literally. In the middle of the trip I was forced to stop and crawl under a blanket. Still freezing my balls off.. I said "help.. need more warm.." Luckily my sitter managed to find the space suit and put it over the blanket. That helped. We were joking how crazy it would have been if I'd actually frozen to death and my friend had to explain to the authorities how someone could freeze indoors in summer with the heater on. Would have made front page news world wide lol.

That vasoconstriction explanation makes sense. I have that with LSD, Shrooms and 2cb. But the coldness I feel on DMT is much more profound. To me it feels like astral travel temporary depletes some life energy force. That's what I believe.. I'm sure you can practice staying warm. But I'll just keep wearing the space suit.
some = one | here = some | there = one

pitubo
#16 Posted : 8/23/2014 6:36:18 PM

dysfunctional word machine

Tattvamasi wrote:
I found something though, within my last 3-4 oral experiences, that deep breathing and/or pranayama helped me tremendously in quelling the coldness brought on by the experience; like the taking of my awareness into the 'cold', impartially observing the cold, making room for it; and i guess in a particular sense, embracing it to a more or less degree, and that mixed with deep breathing and/or pranayama worked wonders, ime.

These breathing techniques/focused awareness also had helped many other specific aspects of my oral experiences, from nausea to coldness, to other more transcendental aspects.

This is a piece of great advice that I wholeheartedly agree to.

Straighten your spine from bottom to top, let your belly hang loose, open your breast (and your heart) and drop your shoulders. After some practice and adjustment over time of tendons and ligaments, you'll find that this is a very natural position that actually takes less effort than slouching.

Breathe out slowly, deeply and consciously. Breathe in automatically as your body calls for it.

Most importantly, keep relaxing with every breath. Fill your cells with oxygen while you feel wave upon wave of relaxation move through your body. Feel the pulse of your heart, beating with joy.

Psyche originally referred to the body's sacred breath of life.

upload
#17 Posted : 1/27/2015 10:52:20 PM

go deep

I have a fair amount of experience with oral ingestion. Acrb/rue, usually. ime, the cold feeling begins at my shoulders and neck, then slowly works down. I usually wear thermal underwear.

pau
#18 Posted : 1/28/2015 12:31:51 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Tattvamasi: that pranayama suggestion is a good one...in fact its good even when warm.
I am lucky enough to have a hot tub in the back yard, and nothing stops the chills in their tracks better than a hot tub at 105F ... particularly with 4aco-dmt.
Thumbs up
WHOA!

Rabbit
#19 Posted : 4/28/2015 8:24:27 AM

Hopping through time and space

DMT activates several different serotonin receptors in the brain. Aside from the obvious effects caused by mimicking serotonin upon the 5-HT2a receptor, others control many other bodily functions such as temperature, nausea and the like.

The 5-HT1a receptor, of which DMT is an agonist, causes the sensation of cold by causing blood vessels to dilate and lose heat to the surrounding environment.

The one responsible for nausea, just btw, is the 5-HT3 receptor. Many substances happen to activate this receptor, including several psychedelic substances, along with some that are produced by various pathogens, which result in us being sick to our stomach. Perhaps this was designed as an evolutionary advantage to protect us when we accidentally consume certain toxins or pathogens. Durno. But agonists make us puke, and antagonists stop us from needing to do so Smile