We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Coffee Filter Paper Options

XxFreeMindxX
#1 Posted : 7/21/2009 5:26:17 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Ok so after the freeze evap. when pouring the naptha through a funnel with a coffee filter used, im thinking that it won't filter through fast enough and my crystals will end up either melting back into the naptha or end up getting trapped on the filter. Cold this be true? If so is there anything better to use than coffee filters.. or a better method to filtering it all together?

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

West-en
#2 Posted : 7/21/2009 2:19:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah, skip the filtering all together. If you let a concentrated solution sit long enough at (or less than) -20 degrees, crystals should be forming at the sides of the container. This should allow you to carefully pour the naphtha into another container (for reuse in another pull) while turning the jar, and then quickly put the lid on and let it warm to room temperature upside down. The little amount of floaters will redissolve and reappear in next pull anyway, so there's nothing to loose (compared to the filtermethod).
There's a clear difference between what I say I do and what I actually do perform.

Nime
#3 Posted : 7/24/2009 12:50:48 PM
DMT-Nexus member

the man has a point ^^ . However SWIM useS coffee filters with no problem, SWIM just reuses his naptha later on in case some did get redissolved

Improvised Labware Vapor Bubbler (continued)

I would like to make it be known that I do not actually put what I write on this website or any place into practice in the real world. I like to live a life of fantasy on the internet where I ask questions and give answers.

pmm
#4 Posted : 7/24/2009 1:32:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

If you have enough space in your freezer, you should simply do the filtering in there - that way nothing melts at all. I always put the new collection jar on a small bowl as well, just in case I pour too fast and some solvent splashes over the rim.