We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Phalaris grass safe? Gramine Options

Rabbit
#1 Posted : 7/20/2009 8:23:15 AM

Hopping through time and space

I understand that phalaris grass contains a number of alkaloids including DMT, 5-MeO-DMT and the like, however it is also said to contain gramine. I can't find much on the effect of gramine on humans but I know that it is toxic to livestock.

My question is, is it safe to use an extraction from phalaris grass because of this?

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

bufoman
#2 Posted : 7/20/2009 7:42:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

It depends on the source of grass. Some strains have higher levels of gramine than others. Most wild found grass is likely to have some level of gramine.

Phalaris is not a very useful source if one wants to obtain psychoactive tryptamines. Most people try it and give up as it can be difficult to extract from and large amounts are required. However it can be done. Apparently people claim the FASA method works best. Weather this extracts the gramine or just the tryptamines is not yet known. One should check the contents of their extraction via TLC, HPLC, or some other method of analysis if possible. Although obviously most do not have access to such equipment. In which case it may be best to only use known grass strains known to be bio-assayed safely or find another source of ones tryptamines.

Ginkgo
#3 Posted : 7/20/2009 8:28:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The real question, however, is if Gramine really are toxic to humans in small amounts. I have yet to see any evidence of this.

Rabbit
#4 Posted : 7/21/2009 12:32:07 AM

Hopping through time and space

Well there is a large area somewhere on this planet known to me, with a whole lot of phalaris grass, and MHRB is out of the question so yeah...

And that's what I'm worried about is the gramine, because while we can't seem to find any data saying it is harmful to 'humans', I can't seem to find any data that says it isn't, either. That's a scary thing to haveta worry about!

As far as the FASA method goes, what is a source of fumaric acid? (sry I know that's prolly been covered 100 times I'll use the search engine) I've never seen it in any kind of grocery/anything despite it being food-grade, and didn't see anything after UTFSEing. Did some research and found that phosphoric acid would probably suffice as well, but the fumarate would probably be the best way to go.

Wish a fairy would just drop onto my lap a whole pile of synthetic dmt so that one wouldn't haveta worry about all these nasty plant impurities.

T
#5 Posted : 7/21/2009 3:10:47 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Why don't you buy some gramine and see if it's soluble in acetone or ISA and if fumaric acid would salt it out.. or any other method for DMT extraction that would not work on it would be okay to extract phalaris.
"Once I thought I'd been offered a joint but had been given angel dust. I smoked it, but had horrific hallucinations - oh my God, I was out of control.
I saw eight of everything and believed that I could fly.
That was when I stopped taking drugs. I started doing them to be a rebel, then realised that doing drugs just meant I was being an idiot.
Now I hate drugs. I constantly tell kids to stay away from them - they are the root of all evil." - David Gest