We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
123NEXT
Nasa is 'very, very' close to finding a planet similar to Earth Options

Praxis.
#1 Posted : 7/15/2014 5:11:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Link

This is super cool news! Big grin

Cool

"Consciousness grows in spirals." --George L. Jackson

If you can just get your mind together, then come across to me. We'll hold hands and then we'll watch the sunrise from the bottom of the sea...
But first, are you experienced?

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

sØrce
#2 Posted : 7/15/2014 6:30:19 PM

That was that and this is this.

I read that too. How do they know? Have they found it already and are going to tell us?

Chances are it's over 500 light years away. So although we can't get there yet, we can see what has happened on the planet 500 years ago with a powerful enough telescope if it is not a clouded planet?

500 light years is 2,939,312,690,000,000 miles. Very close to finding something very far.

The idea of traveling there is preposterous at this point. I wonder why NASA is so motivated to engage in this study? Seems like they'd need a better reason than to eventually go to these earth-like planets. Like maybe detecting intelligent life with the SETI project.

You never know what the real deal is when all that is shrouded in secrecy.

I'm all for using that money to learn to live well on Earth, because at this point it's really all we got. No intelligent life is gonna want to mess with us when we are destroying ourselves. What are they gonna do, save us? Or will we escape when the planet is destroyed?

They tried that on Mars and failed. Or did we? Laughing
"The world is his, who can see through it's pretension...see it to be a lie, and you have already dealt it its final blow..." -Ralph W. Emerson

Praxis.
#3 Posted : 7/15/2014 8:31:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Heh, yeah good points. I don't think the interest is so much in colonizing said planet so the distance is kind of moot--I think that if we can verify for sure whether or not there are other planets within just our galaxy alone that are similar to Earth and can support life it radically changes the collective understanding of reality, the universe, and our place in it.

There's still plenty of people out there who are convinced that we're all there is, and until they see proof they'll stick to that belief.

Granted, I agree that our money might be better spent dealing with our problems here on Earth, but that's a whole different can of worms. Razz
"Consciousness grows in spirals." --George L. Jackson

If you can just get your mind together, then come across to me. We'll hold hands and then we'll watch the sunrise from the bottom of the sea...
But first, are you experienced?

Jees
#4 Posted : 7/15/2014 8:47:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I think they should keep searching for Elvis no matter the cost.
I'm sure he's alive, somewhere.

Cognitive Heart
#5 Posted : 7/15/2014 9:25:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

It's incredibly exciting! I recently messaged one of the head employees of SETI Institute for research and development into the current exoplanet paradigm, and their potential for existing in all kinds and forms of life.

My question was as follows:

"What is the probability of life existing on any of the recently discovered, light-year exoplanets? How do you determine these factors?"

In response:

"We do not know. What we can say right now is that there are more planets than there are stars, and significant percentage of those planets are suitably-sized and at a suitable distance from their stars for potentially interesting chemistry to happen.

Identifying evidence of life on any exoplanets will require new instruments, some of which are already under construction and others of which have only been proposed so far."

Quote:

Today, leading space experts from NASA are discussing the search for life in the universe. The SETI Institute plays a key role, as you may have already guessed!

Want to know more? Do you have questions about astrobiology and the search for life? Submit questions here for SETI Institute President and CEO, Dr. David C. Black. We'll post answers in the next few days.

“NASA is to be lauded for pushing the search for habitable planets and biosignatures. Exoplanets and biosignatures feature prominently in the SETI Institute roadmap; we are working toward creation of a catalog of these key indicators of life on other planets both in this planetary system and in others. In the end, we study the past and the present in part to inform and inspire future generations.”

Learn more about NASA's event and related SETI plans:

http://www.seti.org/seti-institute/news/july-14-nasa-experts-map-out-pathway-detect-potentially-habitable-planets?utm_content=buffer18a2f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

http://www.sen.com/news/cheops-exoplanet-mission-is-ready-for-construction?utm_content=bufferfbf5d&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer
'What's going to happen?' 'Something wonderful.'

Skip the manual, now, where's the master switch?

We are interstellar stardust, the re-dox co-factors of existence. Serve the sacred laws of the universe before your time comes to an end. Oh yes, you shall be rewarded.

hixidom
#6 Posted : 7/18/2014 2:27:29 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I think that the Drake equation is relevant here. It doesn't result in an accurate estimate because many of the parameters required to estimate the number of life-bearing planets in the universe are completely unknown currently.

However,
Quote:
The [Drake] equation is quite useful for its intended application, which is to summarize all the various concepts which scientists must contemplate when considering the question of life elsewhere
Every day I am thankful that I was introduced to psychedelic drugs.

#7 Posted : 7/18/2014 3:14:50 AM

Game Master

sØrce wrote:

The idea of traveling there is preposterous at this point. I wonder why NASA is so motivated to engage in this study?

Perhaps because we are being prepared for something, and perhaps the technology we know about and what is behind the curtain is much greater than we've been told....NASA Warp Drive Status......I for one just assume that whatever technology we have access to, well, perhaps the good stuff is much, much more advanced and being tested with Black Budgets. Perhaps I am crazy. But I don't think I am.
Fear, belief, love phenomena that determined the course of our lives. These forces begin long before we are born and continue after we perish. We cross and recross our old paths like figure skaters; our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.
---David Mitchell, Cloud Atlas

Ufostrahlen
#8 Posted : 7/18/2014 12:35:09 PM

xͭ͆͝͏̮͔̜t̟̬̦̣̟͉͈̞̝ͣͫ͞,̡̼̭̘̙̜ͧ̆̀̔ͮ́ͯͯt̢̘̬͓͕̬́ͪ̽́s̢̜̠̬̘͖̠͕ͫ͗̾͋͒̃͛̚͞ͅ

If someone can stand a 90min talk, here's the official one (14.07.2014):
At least it's in 720p and the experts are real.

Space Experts Discuss the Search for Life in the Universe at NASA

Internet Security: PsilocybeChild's Internet Security Walk-Through(1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(7)(8)
Search the Nexus with disconnect.me (anonymous Google search) by adding "site:dmt-nexus.me" (w/o the ") to your search.

hixidom
#9 Posted : 7/19/2014 3:42:17 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
Perhaps because we are being prepared for something, and perhaps the technology we know about and what is behind the curtain is much greater than we've been told....NASA Warp Drive Status......I for one just assume that whatever technology we have access to, well, perhaps the good stuff is much, much more advanced and being tested with Black Budgets. Perhaps I am crazy. But I don't think I am.

Based on my knowledge of the current state of physics, I highly doubt that this is the case.

I really hope I'm wrong though. Pleased
Every day I am thankful that I was introduced to psychedelic drugs.

Bancopuma
#10 Posted : 1/7/2015 5:21:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Rather that starting a new thread, I thought I'd share this here if it is of interest to peeps. Interesting times for sure.

'Newfound Exoplanets Are Most Earth-Like Yet'

http://www.scientificame...are-most-earth-like-yet/

BundleflowerPower
#11 Posted : 1/7/2015 11:33:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Cognitive Heart wrote:
It is incredibly exciting! I messaged one of the head employees of SETI Institute for research and development into exoplanets and their potential for existing forms of life. So, I posed a question to one of the team members.

"What is the probability of life existing on any of the recently discovered, light-year exo-planets? How do you determine these factors?"

In response:

"We do not know. What we can say right now is that there are more planets than there are stars, and significant percentage of those planets are suitably-sized and at a suitable distance from their stars for potentially interesting chemistry to happen.

Identifying evidence of life on any exo-planets will require new instruments, some of which are already under construction and others of which have only been proposed so far."

From SETI:

Quote:

Today, leading space experts from NASA are discussing the search for life in the universe. The SETI Institute plays a key role, as you may have already guessed!

Want to know more? Do you have questions about astrobiology and the search for life? Submit questions here for SETI Institute President and CEO, Dr. David C. Black. We'll post answers in the next few days.

“NASA is to be lauded for pushing the search for habitable planets and biosignatures. Exoplanets and biosignatures feature prominently in the SETI Institute roadmap; we are working toward creation of a catalog of these key indicators of life on other planets both in this planetary system and in others. In the end, we study the past and the present in part to inform and inspire future generations.”

Learn more about NASA's event and related SETI plans:

http://www.seti.org/seti-institute/news/july-14-nasa-experts-map-out-pathway-detect-potentially-habitable-planets?utm_content=buffer18a2f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

http://www.sen.com/news/cheops-exoplanet-mission-is-ready-for-construction?utm_content=bufferfbf5d&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Thumbs up

If the panspermia theory is correct (I think it's quite likely) interesting chemistry isn't required to get life going.

endlessness
#12 Posted : 1/7/2015 11:49:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

What was mckenna's quote about looking for an italian restaurant in space?

For all we know, there may be more life in planets completely different than ours and based on totally different chemistry/mechanics.

Interesting area of research nonetheless

skoobysnax
#13 Posted : 1/8/2015 1:46:08 AM

DMT-Nexus member

endlessness wrote:

For all we know, there may be more life in planets completely different than ours and based on totally different chemistry/mechanics.

Correct. Even here on Earth there are creatures living deep in the sea near thermal vents that live on chemosythesis in heat beyond boiling where no light penetrates.
Even if we found a planet to escape to we may not survive its predators and microrganisms.
Ive always had a theory that WE are the Martians repeating a viral cycle.
Marijuana, LSD, psilocybin, and DMT they all changed the way I see
But love's the only thing that ever saved my life - Sturgill Simpson "Turtles all the Way Down"

Why am I here?

BundleflowerPower
#14 Posted : 1/8/2015 12:12:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

endlessness wrote:

Remember Carl Sagan's Cosmos series? The floaters that floated around in the atmosphere of gas giant planets like helium balloons.

Btw, I can't wait for the James Web space telescope to be launched. And according to the video, there's a 20 meter space telescope being designed. Imagine what the Hubble ultra deep field will look like through that telescope.

Bancopuma
#15 Posted : 1/8/2015 8:59:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ok much closer to home, but sedimentary rock formations have been recently observed on Mars that very closely resemble those formed on Earth through bacterial action.

Paper in Astrobiology:

http://online.liebertpub...df/10.1089/ast.2014.1218

Cognitive Heart
#16 Posted : 1/9/2015 2:56:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

On the humorous side of things.. Razz And hey, who knows. One day this may be possible.

Cognitive Heart attached the following image(s):
10898325_10152964448115535_6324484942297407235_n.jpg (66kb) downloaded 305 time(s).
'What's going to happen?' 'Something wonderful.'

Skip the manual, now, where's the master switch?

We are interstellar stardust, the re-dox co-factors of existence. Serve the sacred laws of the universe before your time comes to an end. Oh yes, you shall be rewarded.

Bancopuma
#17 Posted : 7/24/2015 10:12:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Rather than starting a new thread, I thought the news of the recent Kepler findings were more relevant here. It seems like the odds for life existing elsewhere are going up the more we look out into the cosmos.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/new...nce-environment-33641648

3rdI
#18 Posted : 7/24/2015 2:14:59 PM

veni, vidi, spici

i agree with Ufostrahlen, NASA needs more funding

i'll post this link again incase you missed it last time smokerx
https://spinoff.nasa.gov...f2008/tech_benefits.html
INHALE, SURVIVE, ADAPT

it's all in your mind, but what's your mind???

fool of the year

Bancopuma
#19 Posted : 7/24/2015 4:23:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The late, great Carl Sagan said "The cosmos is within us. We are made of star-stuff. We are a way for the universe to know itself." Due to our star stuff heritage, and our being sentient pieces of the cosmos becoming aware of itself, I think it would be a damn travesty of the highest order not to explore and learn all we can about the wider cosmos, than just our [beautiful and amazing] "pale blue dot". I think NASA and other humans exploring this frontier are worthy of our high praise and support.

Creo
#20 Posted : 7/24/2015 8:26:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The more we look, the more it seems that the conditions for life are common throughout the galaxy. So where is everybody? It's a great puzzle.

http://waitbutwhy.com/2014/05/fermi-paradox.html

123NEXT