We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Wanting to understand cacti. Options

soulfood
#1 Posted : 7/16/2009 1:42:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

Once again this here stargazer has been reminded once again that nothing in life worth having comes easy.

I was looking into cultivating a few cacti for entheogenic use, but I'm now starting to realise that it's not as straight forward as eg. cannabis - get seeds, plant, grow, harvest the all too visible buds, then smoke... all within about 5 months or less.

Anyway enough talk... let's get to the heart off this beast! Am I correct in assuming that the majority of trichocereus species commercially available are of very little use to the entheogenist?

I know that there's always going to be a difference in potency from plant to plant, but if I'm going to spend who knows how many years growing these beauties, I want to be able to share the experience with at least 1 other person.

Rather than saying "fuck it... I'll just buy dried chips" which don't get me wrong, is a means to an experience 2nd to none, but for someone who seriously wants to cultivate a selection of very "useful" cacti, so far I see this as my only hope:

Buy as many cacti as possible, grow each one to at least 12-16 inches, make cuttings, harvest all but the tip, replant tips of the most potent cacti.

Obviously along the way if I keep my ear to the ground I can fall upon cuttings from good cacti which won't take 5 years of growth for a worthy test, but is the above the best course of action to take for the wannabe "useful" cacti collector?

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

MagikVenom
#2 Posted : 7/16/2009 5:24:09 AM

DMT-Nexus member

[quote=soulfood]Once again this here stargazer has been reminded once again that nothing in life worth having comes easy.

I was looking into cultivating a few cacti for entheogenic use, but I'm now starting to realise that it's not as straight forward as eg. cannabis - get seeds, plant, grow, harvest the all too visible buds, then smoke... all within about 5 months or less.

Dont worry its even easyer no photo pereoid worries, just takes longer. I got many plants and catus I got years ago best sources I am not sure I am sure others here have current knowledge. They are not olny easy to grow but hard to kill you cant even burn them up.

I sure others can hook you up with some good clones and seeds and dry chips if needed

Happy Growing

MV

Bancopuma
#3 Posted : 7/16/2009 11:02:27 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Good for you soulfood man. As MV states, cacti are very tough, past the germination/seedling phase they are really very hard to kill...and san pedro and related species grow fast when they get going. They also don't take up much space...I think more people should consider growing cacti, before any other psychotropic plant.

Seven
#4 Posted : 7/16/2009 2:25:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Soulfood what kind of location are you in? If you could grow them outside year round that would really be ideal. Poor swim has a few growing and has to bring them in for the cold winters. Once they are inside they become dormant and dont grow, so this definitely holds them back. Finding a good potent strain is hard and might take a little research and luck. Also growing from cutting will give you a head start compared to seeds. Either way expect a few year wait before doing much of anything with them, Just let them grow and enjoy them. Cacti are awesome!
The universe is an infinite harmony of vibrating beings in an elaborate range of expansion-contraction ratios, frequency modulations, and so forth.

Kannamate
#5 Posted : 7/16/2009 3:05:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Start some bridgesii's,or get a bridgesii monstrose everybody always agrees they are the most reliable because they have some sort of maoi mescaline might actually be less though,but san pedro/peruvianus are usually a toss up.

memo
#6 Posted : 7/16/2009 3:21:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I think that one major hurdle is getting potent strains and not wasting time and energy on weak ones. I have read that in the wild trichocereus species generally propagate asexually by breaking off or falling over and rooting instead of sexually by seed. Don't hesitate to make cuttings since they root and grow easily and also grafting is easily employed to speed up and multiply slower growing species.
Avatar art created by unknown Cambodian or Laotian. Everything else is fiction.

Baffald
#7 Posted : 7/16/2009 4:20:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

SWIM has 6 torches that SWIM plans on growing for years. After reading the d-limo tek, I got anxious and don't feel like waiting anymore.

bufoman
#8 Posted : 7/16/2009 10:57:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

In a good environment trich will grow very fast. Any species and clones will grow at least a foot a year maybe more (with a good strain and a couple plants this will provide more than enough for 2 people). The environment is the most important factor for growth.

If you are interested in the different species and clones check out Trouts Notes on cacti. This is a great book on the chemistry and botany of this genus. One would be best off obtaining known strains from reliable vendors as the regular pach are low alkaloid starins. There are some such as tores and torres, SS01, SS02. Get a bunch and let them grow. They do not take up much space and will grow fast.

However they need good sunlight for best results. An indoor set up will require some good grow lights a window will not do for significant results.

Soil mix should be a mix of 65% organic soil, 25% perlite, and 10% sand. This will give good results and it is cheaper to make your own. Cacti can be feed nutrients.

Although prior to harvesting it is claimed to be best to STRESS your plants. With hold watering and place in full sun.