We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12345NEXT»
Mythbusters: Urban psychedelic legends Options

۩
#41 Posted : 7/15/2009 9:48:46 PM

How schizophrenic, exactly?

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

69ron
#42 Posted : 7/15/2009 9:53:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Do you know for sure it was real mescaline?
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

69ron
#43 Posted : 7/15/2009 9:54:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Concerning the "Strychnine in LSD" myth, look at this quote from Shulgin where LSD was actually found to have strychnine in it:

Quote:
The few times that I have indeed found it [strychnine] present, have been in legal exhibits where it usually occurred in admixture with brucine (also from the plant Strychnos nux-vomica) in criminal cases involving attempted or successful poisoning.

You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

69ron
#44 Posted : 7/15/2009 9:56:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Also look at this from another forum:

Quote:
One thing picked up from my Chemistry degree that didn't get washed away by years of gleeful boozing is the following:

The synthesis of many drugs uses strychnine or brucine as resolving agents to split the products into their "left-handed" and "right-handed" forms. Having used them, it's not easy to completely eliminate traces of the resolving agent from the final batch - and as you can imagine, that job's usually not done with quite the same care and attention in an illegal drug lab as in a well-stocked pharmaceutical company. The end result is that there's often enough traces of strychnine or brucine in synthetic drugs like MDMA or LSD to cause cramping.

(The Organic Synthesis course used LSD and cocaine as its two main examples, on the grounds that students were more likely to pay attention to something that looked a bit naughty)

Any thoughts on that?

69ron
#45 Posted : 7/15/2009 9:57:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Also, in My Problem Child, Albert Hoffman talks about strychnine being found in an "LSD" sample.

VisualDistortion
#46 Posted : 7/15/2009 10:01:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

69ron wrote:
Do you know for sure it was real mescaline?

I really don't know all the details surrounding it. This happened about 20 or 25 years ago, so there were so many RC's that could be sold as mescaline like there are now. I suppose is could have been a DOx compound. Back then peyote was alot easier to aquire so he could have had cactus.
You lock the door, and throw away the key

There's someone in my head but it's not me

69ron
#47 Posted : 7/15/2009 10:01:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

69ron wrote:
Also look at this from another forum:

Quote:
One thing picked up from my Chemistry degree that didn't get washed away by years of gleeful boozing is the following:

The synthesis of many drugs uses strychnine or brucine as resolving agents to split the products into their "left-handed" and "right-handed" forms. Having used them, it's not easy to completely eliminate traces of the resolving agent from the final batch - and as you can imagine, that job's usually not done with quite the same care and attention in an illegal drug lab as in a well-stocked pharmaceutical company. The end result is that there's often enough traces of strychnine or brucine in synthetic drugs like MDMA or LSD to cause cramping.

(The Organic Synthesis course used LSD and cocaine as its two main examples, on the grounds that students were more likely to pay attention to something that looked a bit naughty)

Any thoughts on that?

The more I look into this, the more it makes sense.

This use of strychnine in chemistry is backed up by the book Beyer/Walter organic chemistry By Hans Beyer, Wolfgang Walter, Douglas Lloyd.

It would definitely be useful in LSD synthesis! Makes you wonder doesn't it!

Maybe strychnine is not found because people are using brucine instead in their LSD synthesis and no one is looking for brucine!

bufoman
#48 Posted : 7/16/2009 2:26:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

SWIM has never seen a synthesis of LSD that utilizes strychnine. Much less toxic more readily available cheaper agents like D-tartaric acid are available for optical resolution. Shulgin uses tartaric acid. No syntheses use strychnine that SWIM has seen.

I think people added strychnine or put it on the blotter alone for its psychoactive effects.

MagikVenom
#49 Posted : 7/16/2009 5:07:28 AM

DMT-Nexus member

warrensaged wrote:
69ron wrote:
There are a lot more, and some interesting ones that have recently been created in the lab such as Bromo-Dragonfly which is active at 500 micrograms. This is a potent hallucinogen. There is proof of Bromo-Dragonfly being on blotter paper on the DEA web site.

Can you tell us a bit more about what Bromo-Dragonfly is?
Sounds like one of those lame "smoking blends" that they sell at on-line headshops. (I'm guessing that's not the caseWink )
Or a new floor cleaner Laughing

WS

Go read the trip reports at erowid one of them I would describe as the worst trip I can think off LONG to far worse than any trip I ever had. No one got aressted or died or went to the hospital it was a safe trip a couples adult males with the place to themselves. The fellow who wrote it is a TROOPER FROM HELL!!!!! he did not describe it as being bad it was called "That feeling Again" or something like that.

No Bromo Dragon Fly aka Flying Hamester ha! for me not even a cold day in HELL. Check out the reporte

MV

69ron
#50 Posted : 7/16/2009 9:50:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

bufoman wrote:
SWIM has never seen a synthesis of LSD that utilizes strychnine. Much less toxic more readily available cheaper agents like D-tartaric acid are available for optical resolution. Shulgin uses tartaric acid. No syntheses use strychnine that SWIM has seen.

I think people added strychnine or put it on the blotter alone for its psychoactive effects.

I'm not implying anything. I just find it interesting that strychnine could actually be useful in LSD synthesis. I'm not saying anyone is doing it. We don't know what techs people actually use in private illicit labs until they get caught and we find their lab notes.

Sally
#51 Posted : 10/27/2010 8:03:37 PM

I do not have the vocabulary to articulate this particular musing at the current time...

The Traveler wrote:

* A college student took acid for the first time in his life and never got back from it. [...] Is this true or not? What proof do we have for both sides of the medal?

I cannot place the blame completely on acid but we know that it played a rather large part in the loss of my friend.

He took an awful lot of psychedelics in one go, he kind of returned, but he was never the same. He was in such a state we eventually had him sectioned. After a couple of weeks the doctors released him reporting that there was little they could do for him.

This is an obviously rare occurrence and no one is really sure what he took, but I cannot deny the possibility of a slight truth behind this 'myth'.

Sally
xx
ॐ . Amateur Entheogen Botanist. PM me if you need help in finding or identifying plants. For research purposes only . ॐ

ॐ bwrrrr bWWrrr bhrrrr bHWRRR ॐ

. Pure Universal Pulse Vibrations . Saloreo Nebulum .

corpus callosum
#52 Posted : 10/29/2010 7:46:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Medical DoctorModerator

Ive come across a couple of people who have been rendered psychotic as a result of taking only a few doses of LSD; they have been 'stabilised' on treatment but both have had further psychotic breakdowns since then-usually as a result of stopping their meds.I would describe them as having what used to be called schizoid personalities even before the acid damaged them.

Here in the UK in the early 90s there were several batches of ecstacy which were purportedly cut with smack.They were actually quite nice to take but I reckon they contained DXM, +/- an amphetamine of some sort.
I am paranoid of my brain. It thinks all the time, even when I'm asleep. My thoughts assail me. Murderous lechers they are. Thought is the assassin of thought. Like a man stabbing himself with one hand while the other hand tries to stop the blade. Like an explosion that destroys the detonator. I am paranoid of my brain. It makes me unsettled and ill at ease. Makes me chase my tail, freezes my eyes and shuts me down. Watches me. Eats my head. It destroys me.

Orion
#53 Posted : 11/12/2010 7:34:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Dirty drugs and bad mixes make this all very sketchy. Im with the beleif that purity and self controll is not gonna get you fucked up long term.
Art Van D'lay wrote:
Smoalk. It. And. See.

Steely
#54 Posted : 11/13/2010 3:18:43 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Oh yeah. I've been wanting to find a thread like this.

/rubs hands together

Let's get down and dirty on cannabis, here's a full quote of a previous post:

[some edits]
Steely wrote:

The first and what I believe to be the greatest outcome of this research has been this small (It's fairly long) article written profoundly well by a keen observer:
http://www.druglibrary.o...ial/goode/mjsmokers3.htm

To quote one of my favorite segments,
LinkAbove wrote:
What one society or group or individual takes for granted as self-evidently harmful, others view as obviously beneficial, even necessary. In crucial ways, the issue of harm or danger to society as a result of the drug pivots on moot points, totally unanswerable questions, questions that science is unable to answer without the resolution of certain basic issues. And for many crucially debated marijuana questions, this modest requirement cannot be met. In other words, before we raise the question of whether marijuana has a desirable or a noxious effect, we must first establish the desirability or the noxiousness to whom.

For anyone wanting the hard facts about it's effects:
http://www.druglibrary.org/Schaffer/hemp/BRAIN.HTM
http://www.drugpolicy.org/marijuana/factsmyths/
http://www.whitman.edu/b...uproj/YoungB/physio.html
http://ajrccm.atsjournal...amp;gca=ajrccm;155/1/141

The plain, simple truth at the end of any debate on cannabis and its' effects on the human body are that it varies immensely from person to person. If you are worried, ask your doctor. Everything said is confidential when you visit him/her.

I believe children should not be smoking cannabis. There is a higher risk from pre-pubescent to mid teens for developing schizophrenia. Think of a 13 year old smoking, Spice, they are simply too young; mentally and physically not developed enough, despite the differences between being shot into the universe and forever a million times, and simply being relaxed.

How ever many reports there may be of marijuana causing schizophrenia, this is currently unsupported factually.

Addiction is not physical, as stated in one of the previous links,
Whitman.edu wrote:
The effects of marijuana on the human brain are numerous and complex. The psychoactive constituent of cannabis, delta-9 THC, affects the brain in a fundamentally different way than many other drugs, such as cocaine and opiates. These drugs are associated with the dopamine pathways within the brain and are subject to high rates of abuse, as seen with self-administration experiments done with animals.

Early research on cannabis' effects on the brain was limited by the technology of the time and was thus subject to influence by observations of behavior, rather than neuropharmacology. This lack of concrete knowledge about THC's effects allowed cultural biases to maintain fallacy that marijuana acted similarly to heroin. Research done during the past decade, since the discovery of a THC receptor in the brain, has refuted such claims. The congressional Office of Technology Assessment found that recent research findings, especially those done by Dr. Miles Herkenham of the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), have proved that marijuana has no effect on the dopamine-related brain systems.

Dopamine is a neurotransmitter in the brain that is associated with pleasure. The neural systems that are associated with dopamine are known as the "brain reward system." These systems are intimately involved with limbic system, an area of the brain which is associated with the control of emotions and behavior. Highly addictive drugs, such as cocaine, affect these pathways and cause an effective increase in the amount of dopamine in the brain. Cocaine and amphetamines block the reabsorbtion of dopamine, thus prolonging and intensifying the effects. Opiates activate production of dopamine by blocking the inhibitory signal, gamma-aminobutyric acid, which would ordinarily slow or stop dopamine production.

It is in all fact, very much possible for an individual to become mentally addicted to marijuana. I have personally experienced this, and the only reason I stopped is because I went broke.

Not to stray from the already off-topic thread, but I began smoking daily again. The main difference was an entirely new perspective on life which is allowing me to experience everything in a well balanced manner. I do not smoke throughout the day, I smoke toward the end of the day. Mostly.

What people need to remember is that it isn't the plant causing the addiction, there has to be an underlying problem to it that needs to be resolved.

Do not listen to anything, "Steely" says. He is a made up character that his owner likes to role play with. His owner is very delusional and everything he says is completely untrue and ridiculous.
Hate is the choice of a clouded mind.
-"It takes humility to remember who we are"-
"There has to be evil so that good can prove its purity above it." - Buddha

Tyrannical Rex
#55 Posted : 12/18/2010 1:22:58 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I did not go through the whole thread. I do have an interesting myth someone told me. This person stands corrected after 45 years of age. The myth was that around the edge of the mushroom cap is strychnine. They would cut off the outer edge of all the mushrooms they picked. This person was in SE Oklahoma in the 70's so it was probably a scare tactic used by their peers. I finally showed them online the information of exactly what chemicals make up the fungus. Has anyone heard of this too?Laughing

benzyme
#56 Posted : 12/18/2010 2:47:14 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

Steely wrote:

Addiction is not physical, as stated in one of the previous links

i disagree

depending on the substance, and possibly a person's brain/body chemistry, there are varying degrees of somatic effects in peripheral tissues as a result of the central feedback loop in the nucleus accumbens. what happens in the mind may affect the body, and vice-versa

*edit* damn...i can't believe i responded to something over a month old, like a real noob.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

blue_velvet
#57 Posted : 12/18/2010 6:43:42 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I met this guy the other day said something about taking silver and pressing it to magic mushrooms. If "it" turns black (not sure if he meant the mushroom or the silver) they are poisonous. It sounds dubious to me.

dreamdweller
#58 Posted : 12/18/2010 5:25:43 PM
Don Juan

Simple wiki search brought this up: "Poisonous mushrooms blacken silver."—None of the known mushroom toxins have a reaction with silver."

hydrocarbon
#59 Posted : 4/10/2011 3:07:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Dagger wrote:
Quote:
* Flashbacks. Way after the experience you can experience flashback that will suddenly put you back into the trip.

I have had flashbacks from a particular ayahuasca session. Only lasted for a few seconds, and happened close to sleep. Went away in a few weeks time. But it was not way after the experience. However, I have had flashbacks from that particular journey years after, inside another ayahuasca journey...

A couple of times just as I am drifting off into sleep I have suddenly recalled my first aya experience; I feel peace and love as the ego slips away to immerse me in Oneness with all that is.

I definitely have an appreciation of sleep that I did not have before ayahuasca; every dream is a visualization of my true feelings, some more obvious than others.
Hydrocarbon is indeed a real person existing in real time. However, Hydrocarbon is actually a proxy for another individual, Nemano, that lives outside the realm of current Terran laws and regulations. All posts made by Hydrocarbon in which "I", "me", and other references to himself are the voice of Nemano speaking digitally through Hydrocarbon. Any illicit, immoral, or otherwise questionable behavior that Hydrocarbon appears to be admitting to are actually the actions of Nemano.

Occasionally, Hydrocarbon has been known to inject his twisted sense of humor into Nemano's words, but anything stated that was particularly witty or insightful was most likely not the result of Hydrocarbon's intellect.

DMTerrestrial
#60 Posted : 11/16/2011 9:21:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

bufoman wrote:
Great Idea traveler.

MDMA puts holes in your brain. This has not been shown to occur and is in fact impossible. They manipulated the evidence and lied to create those misleading images. Furthermore there is no evidence that MDMA creates any permanent damage. It does alter 5-HT function with chronic use although it has been found that after a few months of abstinence everything returns to normal. Still it is not a good idea to take it chronically.

I'm not sure where your getting your facts from but they are incorrect. 5-HT/P function will not return to normal or even close. The last link on the page does talk about activity starting to return, but not fully. 5-HTP is the chemical precursor as well as metabolic intermediate in the biosynthesis of the neurotransmitters serotonin and melatonin from tryptophan.

MDMA very much so does destroy nuerons in your brain. It also destroys sites that create seratonin, hence the 5-HT/P complications. Google : "MDMA destroys neurons" and you will have countless articles come up proving that MDMA & MDA do infact destroy nuerons in your brain.

"MDMA, known by the street name 'Ecstasy' or 'Adam' was first synthesized in the early 1900's as an appetite suppressant, but it was not until 1972 was it first synthesized illegally and widely used and abused in the early 1980s. Not until later did scientists discover that this now called 'love drug' caused serious damage to the brain and its release of serotonin. In laboratory animals, it has been shown that MDMA destroys serotonin-producing neurons. Researchers have studied the effects of the loss of 5-HT axons in monkeys compared to that in rats is much greater. This therefore suggests that MDMA is much more toxic in primates than in the rat (Toxicity and Risk of Death)." This information was obtained from http://serendip.brynmawr.../202s98-paper1/Kyin.html

These holes are just neurons being destroyed, not marble sized holes. When you look at a image of brain activity spots light up in different colors. People who use MDMA regularly show less activity in certain areas. These ares are called holes. The reason for less activity is that at one time there were more active neurons there that have now been destroyed. It's sad that such an amazing drug truly is dangerous, but so is driving a car.

As you can see in the above^ image the MDMA brain has much less activity being represented by the huge amounts of purple area. These abnormally large areas of purple are refered to as holes. This image is from thedea.org/neurotoxicity.html The article is on the topic of Neurotoxicity & MDMA use. The article goes into amazing depth on the subject.

Hope that clears up the subject and sets the record straight!

Moral of the story, everything in moderation. Thought I'd clear that urban legend up.

Thank you Endlessness for encouraging me to site my findings. Hope this is what you were looking for.
I can think of nothing more important for the survival of our species and those we live with then for us all to have access to the psychedelic experience.

PREV12345NEXT»