We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
double distilation setup Options

luckytriple6
#1 Posted : 7/10/2009 11:54:26 AM
DMT-Nexus member

swim likes strong drink. he likes his ethanol 190+. swim used ms paint and patched a few pics together best he could and is looking for comments on it

this is supposed to be a double distillation setup, something swim ms painted together from a few pics. Is this something that would work? Should swim just set up two separate stills instead. swim doesn't have a vigorx column so is kinda stuck distilling twice. swim'd like to re distill the first distillate as it comes out to save time.

swim was guessing the second pot would have to be drained of water once in a while which could be thrown into the wash for the next batch to be put into the pressure cooker.

swims thought was that he would use tygon tubing to go from his pressure cooker to a three way distillation adapter(which he has done to attach the 200mm liebig he used before) and use a 300mm reflux condenser on the vapors from the pressure cooker this time. swim would drain this into a west condenser. the west condenser would be attached to one top of a claisen adapter. the bottom of the claisen adapter would have another pot being heated to re distill the distillate. the west condenser would re condense the vapors so they could only go out the other top end of the claisen adapter. the other top end of the claisen adapter would have a three way distilling adapter with a 200mm liebig column leading to a final collection flask.

swim was thinking of using a Britta filter as a final collection flask.

fill the pressure cooker get the water running, heat set, and wait for the Britta pitcher to fill? Could the double still work? set then come back for a drink? should swim just setup two instead? swim's buying a vigorx column soon, he hears you can get 95% ethanol by using one plus they're great for other things too.

wash will be ready soon, swim doesn't have everything yet, not sure if it will show before the wash is ready. this was just some crazy dream he had. he was wondering if anyone has any info on what he'd like to do
luckytriple6 attached the following image(s):
newcut.JPG (158kb) downloaded 92 time(s).

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Attention All Shipping
#2 Posted : 7/10/2009 1:42:21 PM
DMT-Nexus member

This looks very sketchy man, really not keen on the green tape wrapped round the top of the pressure cooker, I think you'd need something a bit better to seal it.

luckytriple6
#3 Posted : 7/10/2009 8:33:30 PM
DMT-Nexus member

that green tape was just holding on insulation. It'd be all glass joints properly clamped and such. I'll have to toss it together once I get my glass and take a real pic, I'm just what I got. trust me I've invested enough in my glass that I'm not holding it together with green masking tape, lol. I just bought a bunch of those metal keck clamps cause the plastic was melting. next big purchase is going to be a diaphragm vacuum and vigorx column

benzyme
#4 Posted : 7/11/2009 12:45:58 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

vigreaux column
yes, good for fractionating.

piracetam here, welcome...
as I said on the other board, that setup will work fine. the graham and liebig will need water circulating, but not the vertical west condenser.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

luckytriple6
#5 Posted : 7/11/2009 8:52:55 AM
DMT-Nexus member

good to see friends, I was pretty sure it would work from get go, can't wait to try it now. I can't wait to get payed , I dropped and smashed a 50mlrbf today doing some cleaning... I have a few more thing to get/replace

Shakti
#6 Posted : 8/5/2009 8:12:10 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Uhm, what's the advantage of doing it this way vs just doing a second distillation?

benzyme
#7 Posted : 8/5/2009 4:24:04 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

time
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

luckytriple6
#8 Posted : 8/7/2009 10:30:38 AM
DMT-Nexus member

benzyme wrote:
time

that's was the hope, two distilations it was, gonna try it a bi differently in a few weeks, haven't gotten around to making mash again... I 'm lazy....