We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
music that reflects hyperspace Options

۩
#1 Posted : 7/5/2009 10:46:52 PM

I just want to start a thread for music you think reflects hyperspace.

The mars volta blast so much energy through me...I smile as if I'm ready to take the leap, if you know what I mean.
Sometimes it sounds like cedric, the singer, is taking on the role of an entity one would encounter in hyperspace,
especially on the album "the bedlam in goliath."

I've never mentioned this to anyone before. It's just how I hear it, and I think it's awesome.

their engineer/guitarist omar rodriguez-lopez also has solo projects where he produces some wonderful music for journeying.
"dream sequence" and "sensory decay II" are incredibly psychedelic tracks.

Another good one IMO is ali akbar khan. This man is a god! He reflects the divine in such a beautiful, delicate way.

Also, the noises I hear in hyperspace I occasionally hear in ambient/minimalist songs by artists like tim hecker.

Very happy please share anything that comes to mind

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

SpiceGirl
#2 Posted : 7/7/2009 12:47:51 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I think there are already some threads on this? Maybe not though. Regardless, I also enjoy the Volta. I have honestly never tried them with the spice yet, but have pondered as to how they'd be. Omar has been on a rampage with releasing albums recently, he worked on a lot of em when he lived in Amsterdam and they're now getting released - Cryptomnesia was the latest I believe under the group title El Grupo de Neuvo or something along those lines - off the top of my head at the moment.

I'm wondering about an extended spice or maybe huasca with Deloused in the Comatorium! So much energy on there! I used to literally sort of lunge forward or something along with the energy on some of those songs, oh I got so into it - few bands have really taken me to that point.

For clarification tho, is this thread more on music that whilst sober reflects hyperspace, or music that meshes well WHILE in hyperspace, or both? I presume many musics WON'T mesh well for many people, but I know for me there are definitely some both, and really in all three categories - and I'd like to contribute on target rather than derail ^_^

hedcase
#3 Posted : 7/7/2009 12:52:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

ShpongleShocked
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0ojj21CKYM
On my back and tumbling
Down that hole and back again
Rising up
And wiping the webs and the dew from my withered eye.

۩
#4 Posted : 7/7/2009 12:57:24 AM

I couldn't listen to volta in hyperspace...cedric just seems to sing from there. it's very interesting.

SpiceGirl
#5 Posted : 7/7/2009 4:24:27 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Oh I totally get you! I am sure Cedric has at least come close to visiting hyperspace. This doesn't speak well of him, but at one point in his past he and Omar found themselves in jail on acid with cedric thinking he was talking to Jesus. Read that in an old ATDI interview lol, but they had a neat house to make music in with all the walls painted different colors (this was still pre-volta, but they are who they are) and such.

And either way you can definitely feel it - he mainly goes by the feeling that the sound of the words he uses evokes, which is a great way to do things and he is a master at it. Exoskeletal junction at the railroad delayed - how would you have made that sound? Hehe, <3 me some Cedric.

۩
#6 Posted : 7/7/2009 5:24:14 AM

wow I never heard about that...it's as hilarious as it is terrible. Deloused was recorded in a "haunted house" with Flea on bass...man that album rocks... a mass of gallon sloth, as flies have walls for feet!
as the years passed, omar got way better at editing his vocals and sometimes he even sounds like a girl...alien...ghost...spice entity...and of course a wild monkey. What I meant in my first post was,
whenever I hear this band it makes me feel like I am about to smoke spice...just the sheer intensity and excitement...

there is very few music that puts me in this inspired + energetic place. I am seeking the rest of it...

The Traveler
#7 Posted : 7/7/2009 8:05:13 AM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

This is a good thread to link to for the enigmaticus since we can use these sounds and music for it.

۩
#8 Posted : 7/7/2009 8:06:27 AM

Indeed. the two songs I posted by Omar up there are very hyperspatial! Check them out.

Aegle
#9 Posted : 7/7/2009 2:01:44 PM

Cloud Whisperer

Senior Member | Skills: South African botanicals, Mushroom cultivator, Changa enthusiast, Permaculture, Counselling, Photography, Writing

For me the closest music that reflects hyperspace for me is
Tipper - Surrounded, it so dream like and soft and i usually listen to it before i drift off to sleep. Hyperspace has been very dream like, soft and warm for me and Tipper's sound in this album represents that. Give it a listen if you can and let me know what you think k. Rolling eyes

Much Peace and Compassion
The Nexus Art Gallery | The Nexian | DMT Nexus Research | The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

The fate of our times is characterised by rationalisation and intellectualisation and, above all, by the disenchantment of the world.

Following a Path of Compassion and Heart

endlessness
#10 Posted : 7/7/2009 3:08:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

to me definitely what has reminded me most of hyperspace is the cd from psykovsky called dabudet, and osom - midnight shared blossom

polytrip
#11 Posted : 8/6/2009 12:36:48 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Location: A speck of dust in endless space, like everyone else.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm6zNYZoHJs&hl=nl
This music completely captures the hyperspace atmosphere for me.

smokeydaze
#12 Posted : 8/6/2009 1:50:01 PM

Dragunov Mylshka Teapot

Thanks polytrip I've been trying to find some good classical for a while, that blast around 4min was great.
SMOKE MORE DMT, SMOKE MORE DMT NOW

cellux
#13 Posted : 8/6/2009 3:10:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

While we are at classical music, let me share my favorite, Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh_09qSKNBs

This music surpasses everything I've ever heard. It's deeply human and incredibly transcendental at the same time. (divination comes at around 8:20)

cellux
#14 Posted : 8/6/2009 3:25:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Another great piece, also by Rachmaninoff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSO6dfTgVOY

this time it's the Prelude in C sharp Minor op.3 no.2.

The incredible depth of human existence.

polytrip
#15 Posted : 8/6/2009 7:47:32 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Oh, i love rachmaninof. It's one of the most underestimated composers.
No-one else ever wrote melodies like he did.

cellux
#16 Posted : 8/7/2009 7:26:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Polytrip: when you are in the mood, could you give me some pointers in classical music? I'm looking for stuff that has the intensity and depth of Rachmaninoff. (Everything else I heard to date pales in comparison.)

cellux
#17 Posted : 8/7/2009 12:45:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I've spent a large part of today with hunting down music on YouTube and found some outstanding gems.

Let me share this little playlist for our enjoyment:

http://www.youtube.com/w...p;index=0&playnext=1

1. Idan Raichel Project: Im Telech (live)
2. The Doors: The Crystal Ship
3. Shpongle: Around The World In A Tea Daze (Ott remix)
4. Ott: Smoked Glass & Crome
5. Tripswitch: Roll Your Own
6. Banco de Gaia: Shanti (Black Mountain Mix)
7. Ozric Tentacles: Jurassic Shift
8. Pink Floyd: A Saucerful of Secrets
9. Lisa Gerrard: Sanvean
10. Radiohead: Exit Music (for a film)

polytrip
#18 Posted : 8/7/2009 12:51:09 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I have already mentioned ravel. He has writted many beautyfull pieces besides 'daphnis et chloe', 'introduction et allegro' and the orchestral version of 'une barque sur l'ocean' are very beautyfull. Debussy has written incredible orchestral works that are very much like those of ravel. 'Images', 'printemps', 'la mer' and 'iberia' are very special. I also wanted to place links to some of the here, because some of them are quite psychedelic as well, but i couldn't find links to them.
I think richard strauss (not johan strauss) is also a very interesting composer. 'alpine symphony' and the symphonic extract from the opera 'die frau ohne schatten' are fantastic pieces.
The 'parsifal prelude' from wagner is also extremely beautyfull.

polytrip
#19 Posted : 8/7/2009 12:56:55 PM
DMT-Nexus member

cellux wrote:
I've spent a large part of today with haunting down music on YouTube and found some outstanding gems.

Let me share this little playlist for our enjoyment:

http://www.youtube.com/w...p;index=0&playnext=1

1. Idan Raichel Project: Im Telech (live)
2. The Doors: The Crystal Ship
3. Shpongle: Around The World In A Tea Daze (Ott remix)
4. Ott: Smoked Glass & Crome
5. Tripswitch: Roll Your Own
6. Banco de Gaia: Shanti (Black Mountain Mix)
7. Ozric Tentacles: Jurassic Shift
8. Pink Floyd: A Saucerful of Secrets
9. Lisa Gerrard: Sanvean
10. Radiohead: Exit Music (for a film)

beautyfull!

cellux
#20 Posted : 8/7/2009 1:24:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you very much, I will dive into them.

12NEXT