We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Salvia and Jimson Weed Banned in Rhode Island Options

Nathanial.Dread
#1 Posted : 4/9/2014 5:58:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Rhode Island House of Reps. approved a bill now banning Salvia Divinorum and Datura (Jimson Weed). The possession, production or sale of these plants is now illegal.

All I can think is that now some teenager is going to see this and think: "Jimson Weed is banned? It must be awesome!" and go eat a bunch and end up either dead or in Hell for three days.

Sad stuff. Even as we make progress on cannabis, we're still going backwards.

The Valley Breeze wrote:

PROVIDENCE - The House of Representatives last Wednesday approved legislation sponsored by Rep. Arthur Corvese to include the hallucinogenic drugs salvia divinorum and jimsom weed as Schedule 1 controlled substances under state law.

The legislation is meant to target unregulated substances that are being sold to give users a high, according to a news release. Corvese said the drugs can be found at some convenience stores and gas stations, and their availability can give people the false impression that the high they get is somehow safe. "Unregulated hallucinogens are not safe, and we should treat these drugs as the dangerous substances they are," he said in a statement. "As long as these substances aren't illegal, even children can walk into their local corner store and walk out with a drug that could cause them serious harm."

Corvese, a Democrat representing House District 55 in North Providence, said salvia divinorum is an herb that can be used as a hallucinogen. Jimson weed, or datura stramonium, is also used as a hallucinogen, and can be "fatally toxic."

Although neither of the drugs is currently banned under federal law, several states have taken action to control the them due to reports of abuse.

Last year, Rhode Island leaders added synthetic cannabinoids, synthetic substances with more dangerous side effects than the naturally occurring drug they mimic, to the state's Schedule 1 list. Those were also available at gas stations and convenience stores.

Adding the drugs to Schedule 1 bans their possession, production and sale, and makes violations subject to the same penalties as those for marijuana and other drugs.

Corvese's legislation is cosponsored by Rep. William O'Brien, of House District 54 in North Providence, among others.

http://www.valleybreeze....allucinogenic-substances

Blessings
~ND
"There are many paths up the same mountain."

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

ymer
#2 Posted : 4/9/2014 10:30:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

They call that "progress"

Warrior
#3 Posted : 4/10/2014 4:34:48 PM

At Peace

Rhode Island is a weird little pocket hole of political ideology. There is a reason Peter Griffin talks like he does--detached from Boston, detached from Connecticut, detached from New York--Rhode Island really does like to be different.

I'm not convinced this is going to be the new trend. I hate to see these things happen. It's a shame, and it sends the wrong message, for sure. But as usual, can we really blame ignorant politicians for being ignorant?

I believe this is part of a complicated global dialogue. Lawmakers like to fight these perceived "threats" to society by soapboxing like chest-thumping gorillas, and we are left to clean up the shit they throw with scientific evidence, personal experience, and centered communication of truth. We HAVE to be the patient minority. We have no choice but to calmly let the great unfolding take place, and wait for the appropriate time and place. As a species, we are currently in a very conflicted state over all of these matters. It should be expected that some degree of squirming will take place as the squeamish amongst us in our communities either adapt their worldviews, or writhe in discomfort as their internal defenses lash out in order to 'protect the children', or whatever emotional appeal they want to drum up this time.

What they are really doing is making sure the ignorant stay ignorant. That's the saddest part, in my opinion. If they just let this stuff play out, we'd probably see a similar divide of students of plants versus materialists emerge, with or without laws in place to protect people from themselves. Instead of being told by a law that datura is bad, we would have a more common sense attitude about it in which we might personally know someone in the community within a generation or two that had succumb to its toxicity. It would be common knowledge by an actual event, not one that people we don't trust tell us is so. And the person that died by way of datura is probably someone that would end up in the gutter by some other means anyways. It takes all kinds, as they say... Some are bold risk takers no matter what, and no laws will ever stop them from being who they are.

/end rant

Smile

Rising Spirit
#4 Posted : 4/10/2014 11:20:17 PM

'Tis A Looooooong Wind Blowing Cosmic Dust

Liberal Vermont banned Salvia Divinorum 16 months ago. Sigh... I blame "bath salts" for the ruling. Silly wabbits. Sad
There is no self to which I cling, for I am one with everything.

۩
#5 Posted : 4/10/2014 11:25:03 PM

Damn looks like a bunch of peoples grandmothers are about to be locked up for cultivation.

BringsUsTogether
#6 Posted : 4/28/2016 9:15:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

It seems like it only applies to extracts.

See my thread:
https://www.dmt-nexus.me...m=728203&#post728203

anne halonium
#7 Posted : 4/28/2016 9:21:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

as usual,
they got it all wrong.

salvia cultivation should be encouraged,
jimson weed should be ERADICATED..........house to house , dog and helicopter.
"loph girl incarnate / lab rabbits included"
kids dont try anything annie does at home ,
for for scientific / educational review only.

travsha
#8 Posted : 4/28/2016 9:23:43 PM

Share Love ~

Weird that datura is scheduled 1 there - which supposedly means it has no medicinal value, but doctors prescribe scopalamine all the time! Laws are weird.

BringsUsTogether
#9 Posted : 4/28/2016 9:30:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

travsha wrote:
Weird that datura is scheduled 1 there - which supposedly means it has no medicinal value, but doctors prescribe scopalamine all the time! Laws are weird.

And since scopolamine is an "extract" of datura, they've just unintentionally made prescribing it illegal.
That is indeed strange Shocked Shocked

anne halonium
#10 Posted : 4/28/2016 9:30:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

oh its a drug fer sure.
a very hateful one IMO.

unfortunately, annie has put about everything in her mouth at least once.
jimson weed , has to be in the top 5 consumable mistakes.
right after belladona alkaloids.
"loph girl incarnate / lab rabbits included"
kids dont try anything annie does at home ,
for for scientific / educational review only.

Cognitive Heart
#11 Posted : 4/29/2016 12:50:59 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hmm, which is moar desirable? The enclosed, thorny nightshade seedpod with visible, surrounding flies and dead trumpet flowers that smell of intentional death? Or, the simple and mysterious mint. Pleased Laws will always impede the sovereignty of consciousness. Or perhaps that's the tropane antagonism. Laughing Coupling two drastically different molecules for banishment is ridiculous.

Always choose wisely. And I seriously mean, wisely.

May the will be with you all.
'What's going to happen?' 'Something wonderful.'

Skip the manual, now, where's the master switch?

We are interstellar stardust, the re-dox co-factors of existence. Serve the sacred laws of the universe before your time comes to an end. Oh yes, you shall be rewarded.

Lizz
#12 Posted : 4/29/2016 12:51:37 AM

Reptilian humanoid

Thats a damn shame about salvia. I'fd like to see one scrap of evidence that salvia is a "harmful" drug in any way. The fact that they are lumping it together with something like datura is only going to further its unwarranted bad name across the country. I really hope this doesnt spread. I agree with nathaniel. Some kid will probably think its cool to take datura because its illegal and freak out or do something crazy or kill himself and then it will be all over the news and since salvia is included, her name will also be dragged through the mud some more. I can see the Sixty minutes special on it now. terrible terrible shame.
And I'm lonesome when you're around
I'm never lonesome when I'm by myself.
And I miss you when you're around...

LibertyforAll
#13 Posted : 4/29/2016 5:42:57 AM

Claro in Vitam

Datura isn't even a plant that people who use plants (like us) like to use ...
Absolutely silly to declare it illegal. I've got one potted and I hardly ever use it, but the flowers do make for an interesting changa and the seeds can be useful. Salvia's been illegal here.
That word. 'Illegal'
It is the cause of so much suffering and persecution in the world
I believe in freedom for everyone.
'movies are for people who lack real drugs.' -anne halonium

benzyme
#14 Posted : 4/29/2016 7:05:48 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

I will say this about the two: the potential for delerium is high.
I've had both (separate occaisions), I was unaware of my surroundings. they looked completely different.

that, of course, can be dangerous without a sitter.
but prohibition isn't the answer. accurate information is.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

LibertyforAll
#15 Posted : 4/29/2016 8:10:09 AM

Claro in Vitam

I just don't see Datura as ever having enough use for it to be worth legislation against it. Sure it isn't exactly the safest ornamental, and there's always people out looking for a free trip, but anyone with any sense or info on the plant knows what they're getting into. Of course this is not always the case as is evidenced by plenty of erowid reports etc, but still, it's hardly a 'recreational drug' worth persecuting. Basically all this accomplishes is makes unwitting citizens guilty of growing schedule 1 substances in their landscaping, and the ironic part is castor plants are still perfectly legal.

But persecution is what 'they' are always after, in the name of public safety more than anything it seems, for better but usually for worse.

Salvia, whether or not I/we agree on how the law views entheogens, it's more understandable to call this one a 'drug' like they do, it's got 'abuse potential' or rather more accurately, it can be used enjoyably, of course it can also cause dysophoria but still it is much safer.
It is unfortunate how society deems plants to be feared creatures that must be killed and banned, it's satirical almost at this point
I believe in freedom for everyone.
'movies are for people who lack real drugs.' -anne halonium

skoobysnax
#16 Posted : 4/29/2016 7:56:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Datura grows wild all over. Within the Petroglyphs National monument in AZ it grows all over the volcanic rock the glyphs are scribed into. A pretty picture. I have datura as an ornamental but would never ever ingest it after researching. It is crazy beautiful. Some of us use the flowers in changa blends though, or so I have read in some thread here. I prefer not coming to in a hospital with no memory of my behavior. I do have to wonder if the plant contributed to the drawings in the glyphs?
Marijuana, LSD, psilocybin, and DMT they all changed the way I see
But love's the only thing that ever saved my life - Sturgill Simpson "Turtles all the Way Down"

Why am I here?

travsha
#17 Posted : 4/30/2016 12:37:08 AM

Share Love ~

benzyme wrote:
I've had both (separate occaisions), I was unaware of my surroundings. they looked completely different.

Depends how you work with them.... Sub-lingual Salvia is pretty chill and mellow - much nicer then smoking the concentrated extracts. Little chance for delerium with chewed leaves.

Most people have no clue about datura and do way too much..... I think one issue is when people seek visions with datura - I think that is the wrong way to work with it. I have worked with datura many times - often 1-2 times a week..... Never had any delirium or any of the other unpleasantness that people talk about. For me it empowers other plant medicines, brings protection, and really opens up dreams. Most people just eat way too much - like 10-20 times the amount needed..... 10-20 doses of any psychedelic at once could make you pretty delirious.

anon_003
#18 Posted : 4/30/2016 8:54:45 AM

DMT-Nexus member

^^^ The question is: Are people doing the research to know that quidding is debatably the best (probably) way to do salvia?

I know for a fact that when salvia extract was legal, we weren't seeking a quid. Even with adequate information before us, me and my high school teenage friends saw
salvia as a means to "trip balls". I'm not saying adequate information wouldn't help, but you've gotta keep in mind that some people are not going to approach the sacrament with caution.
Once in a while, you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

travsha
#19 Posted : 4/30/2016 4:36:31 PM

Share Love ~

anon_003 wrote:
^^^ The question is: Are people doing the research to know that quidding is debatably the best (probably) way to do salvia?

I know for a fact that when salvia extract was legal, we weren't seeking a quid. Even with adequate information before us, me and my high school teenage friends saw
salvia as a means to "trip balls". I'm not saying adequate information wouldn't help, but you've gotta keep in mind that some people are not going to approach the sacrament with caution.

I smoked a lot of Salvia extract back in the day.... I had heard of quidding then, but smoking sounded easier.... I hadnt heard how much better quidding is though.

Salvia often scares people when they smoke it.... But usually it does no harm to them (I think there is only one case of someone seriously harming themselves physically from Salvia?). It is possible someone could smoke it and harm themselves, but it is probably much more likely for someone to drink alcohol and harm themselves.... So I guess perspective makes even smoking seem fairly harmless if you compare it to alcohol which is still legal in the state.

benzyme
#20 Posted : 4/30/2016 9:44:06 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

travsha wrote:
benzyme wrote:

Depends how you work with them.... Sub-lingual Salvia is pretty chill and mellow - much nicer then smoking the concentrated extracts. Little chance for delerium with chewed leaves.

Most people have no clue about datura and do way too much..... I think one issue is when people seek visions with datura - I think that is the wrong way to work with it. I have worked with datura many times - often 1-2 times a week..... Never had any delirium or any of the other unpleasantness that people talk about. For me it empowers other plant medicines, brings protection, and really opens up dreams. Most people just eat way too much - like 10-20 times the amount needed..... 10-20 doses of any psychedelic at once could make you pretty delirious.

not the deleriousness of tropane alkaloids. 10-20 doses of lsd didn't completely transform the environment into something unrecognizable, and cause amnesia. muscarinic ACh ligands are completely different in their effects than the psychedelics.
the dosage curve is high with atropine, scopolamine/hyoscamine, and things of that ilk (in the ug range), high affinity to mACh.

I've had low doses, and high doses. personally, and I'm not alone on this, I found it to be dysphoric across the dosage range.
sure, it has potential to be oneirogenic (and not because it comes from a plant), so does benedryl.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

12NEXT