We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Shelf life of san pedro tea Options

Godsmacker
#1 Posted : 3/27/2014 6:11:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

How long would san pedro tea last in a fridge? If fermentation/bacterial growth occurs, would simply boiling for a few minutes rectify this issue. I have heard that san pedro tea only stays edible for a day, but i doubt that statement is true. I would hypothesize that it would stay stable/edible in fridge for a week, if not longer. Is this true? If not, how long is san pedro tea good for in your experience?
'"ALAS,"said the mouse, "the world is growing smaller every day. At the
beginning it was so big that I was afraid, I kept running and running, and I was glad
when at last I saw walls far away to the right and left, but these long walls have
narrowed so quickly that I am in the last chamber already, and there in the corner
stands the trap that I must run into." "You only need to change your direction," said
the cat, and ate it up.' --Franz Kafka

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Ufostrahlen
#2 Posted : 3/27/2014 6:40:19 AM

xͭ͆͝͏̮͔̜t̟̬̦̣̟͉͈̞̝ͣͫ͞,̡̼̭̘̙̜ͧ̆̀̔ͮ́ͯͯt̢̘̬͓͕̬́ͪ̽́s̢̜̠̬̘͖̠͕ͫ͗̾͋͒̃͛̚͞ͅ

I leave my left-over food max. 2 days in the fridge.

Better freeze it. It should be fine at least a year. (personal guess)

Internet Security: PsilocybeChild's Internet Security Walk-Through(1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(7)(8)
Search the Nexus with disconnect.me (anonymous Google search) by adding "site:dmt-nexus.me" (w/o the ") to your search.

ewok
#3 Posted : 3/27/2014 7:42:25 AM

I boil it down to a resin, lasts a very long time easy to take can weigh doses etc. Just a good way to store IMO.
Black then white are all I see in my infancy.
Red and yellow then came to be,
reaching out to me, lets me see.
There is so much more and it beckons me to look though to these,
infinite possibilities.
As below so above and beyond I imagine,
drawn outside the lines of reason.
Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

Entheogenerator
#4 Posted : 3/27/2014 8:39:42 AM

Homo discens

I'm not sure how long it would last, but I would imagine boiling it for a short while would kill any bacteria in it. Or if it does get contaminated, you could also boil it then extract the mescaline from it.
"It's all fun and games until someone loses an I" - Ringworm
Attitude PageHealth & SafetyFAQKnown Substance InteractionsExtraction TeksThe Machine

dg
#5 Posted : 3/27/2014 1:54:09 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Cacti expert

tea spoils surprisingly fast!
re-boiling spoiled tea for consumption is Yuck...

Coja
#6 Posted : 4/8/2014 2:51:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Consider pouring unused tea into an ice cube tray to freeze for longer term storage in the freezer. We do this for large batches of cooking stock (chicken, veggie ...) and it's just a very easy way to save concentrated liquid preparations for later use without any risk of spoilage. Thumbs up

Orion
#7 Posted : 4/9/2014 4:45:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Dehydrate, seal and freeze. If you want to rehydrate and drink, no problem. Only way to be sure IMO.
Art Van D'lay wrote:
Smoalk. It. And. See.

coAsTal
#8 Posted : 2/11/2015 1:43:09 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Do the alkaloids degrade in a sealed container in liquid form?
Said differently, is the concern actives degradation or some organic rancidity/rotting?

Ayahuasca tea is said to remain usable for months in liquid form with a re-heating to kill any bacteria.

Why is it different with coffee-filtered, amber-clarified,and acidified (with citric acid) cactus tea?

pitubo
#9 Posted : 2/11/2015 2:50:20 AM

dysfunctional word machine

coAsTal wrote:
Do the alkaloids degrade in a sealed container in liquid form?
Said differently, is the concern actives degradation or some organic rancidity/rotting?

Pure alkaloids in salt form dissolved in distilled water are probably quite stable if kept in a dark and cool place. Cactus tea is more than likely to rot and spoil even if kept dark and cool.

coAsTal wrote:
Ayahuasca tea is said to remain usable for months in liquid form with a re-heating to kill any bacteria.

Friend of mine had a bottle of ready-made ayahuasca from South America explode due to pressure from fermentation. It's a gamble.

What I would do with a plant concoction is to put it in a glass jar that seals and can keep a vacuum (most glass jars with screw-on lid do). Sterilize it in a pressure cooker. It will keep for a long time this way. I use this on wild-picked gourmet mushrooms and they keep for at least a year without spoiling. If the jar loses vacuum during storage, you can no longer trust it and should discard it.

coAsTal wrote:
Why is it different with coffee-filtered, amber-clarified,and acidified (with citric acid) cactus tea?

Acidification is a time-tested method of preservation. Can't beat modern sterilization techniques though.

coAsTal
#10 Posted : 2/12/2015 12:56:46 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Many thanks for the wisdom

ommani
#11 Posted : 2/14/2018 12:51:37 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I have some San Pedro tea that has been sitting in the fridge (not the freezer) for a little over two years. It smells fine (not fermented or rotten), and has a sweet smell. I wonder if it's still ok to drink...

Wakinyan
#12 Posted : 2/14/2018 1:32:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

My question would be.... why make tea a year in advance or even a month in advance? I've had tea a month old... it can be deadly as a quick google search will show you. Simply make your tea the day you wish to have it if your boiling it. If your making sun tea then a week is how long I leave mine sit. When in doubt, chuck it out. Or, if you think it might be a year before you need your tea... let your poor cacti grow for another year. A cacti can grow a significant amount in a few months to a year.
When I graft you graft we graft

ommani
#13 Posted : 2/14/2018 2:50:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I didn't plan to let it sit for so long. I'm hesitant to throw it out, as I put a lot of energy into brewing it, and it smells like it's fine... Confused